PDA

View Full Version : It so freakin quiet here!!

Mpyles
May 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Hello,

I came home from work, after going by the LQS thinking...oh good no one is home I can get some quilting done. I ended up reorganizing my stash..then decided the dog needed a walk...then said well...lawn needs mowed. Then I took a shower and I have tried to motivate myself to go in my wonderful haven of a sewing room, where I recently had dish network installed and its so peaceful......but it's too freakin quiet!! I can't seem to get my mind on anything quilts related or even the tele!! Shhheshhhh.....for years I would of paid for this respite of activity....but it seems that it's a daily occurrence and its just about to make me bonkers!!!

ilive2craft2
May 25th, 2013, 11:30 PM
It is quiet at our house a lot lately too...I thought I might get to watch something I want on the tv after our son moved out (just thought I was quietly out voted), but tv is still on anything hubby wants. When I ask to watch something else after several hours of the history channel, he changes it to sports.......... I have gotten a lot of sewing done today. 1 swap that should have been mailed out today got finished today and will get mailed Tuesday. The other is supposed to be mailed by the 30th and it is pieced and bordered and binding is ready - just need to get the courage up to try to quilt it.....

auntiemern
May 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM
LOL. You will never hear me complain about the house being to quiet. I live for those days when it is just me and my machine. Most days are a bustle of activity with the GK's there so much. I think it would take a while for the quiet to bother me.

bkthomas
May 26th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Loud music maybe......?!!!!

rebeccas-sewing
May 26th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I love the quiet! I grew up in a very quiet household so that's what I like. Joe grew up with lots of noise so he enjoys having music on to kill the silence.

ILive2Craft2 - Have you thought of purchasing your own TV? The history channel wouldn't be bad but watching a lot of sports would be sending me shopping for my own television. Fortunately, we're on the same page when it comes to what we watch. Joe likes sports but doesn't watch them very often. He gets too involved and his blood pressure rises (I'm not joking). We watched the Germans play football (soccer) in the Champion's League last night and I actually enjoyed watching it. It was fun since I knew my daughter was driving into L.A. to watch it with friends on satellite. Joe's German in Bavaria were also tuned in to the game. Funny that we were all cheering for Munich! Having our team win made it lots of fun. Got off the subject! Oops!

Mary - Sorry your sewing plans didn't pan out as you had imagined. I guess the next time you have the house to yourself you should consider the suggestion to listen to music or my suggestion would be to put the TV on the history channel. Hahaha!

mamaquilt
May 26th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I love the quiet! I think our house is never too quiet. When all by myself I'm able to sing as loud as I may and can, false or right and nobody is giggling or making any comments. Meanwhile I sew or do my housework. Just love to be by myself.

Bubby
May 26th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I love peace and quiet also, but since Miss Molly left the house is a little too quiet most days.

Suzyq
May 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
We too love the quiet ...it's just my hubby and I and our three fur babies...he watches tv in the basement and I sew upstairs so we're a whole floor apart. For some quirky reason, I seem to be able to sew for longer periods if I have the tv on to the animal channel or something else interesting, but it has to be a program that I don't need to watch to know what's going on. Other than that, our house is quiet with no radio on and we love it.. Both of us grew up in quiet households so it works for us. Nothing worse when we go to visit family, sit in the living room and they have the tv on...golly! I must be getting old and crotchety!!

rebeccas-sewing
May 26th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I agree, Suzyq! I think it's rude to keep the TV on when one has company, unless the plan is to watch something with your company.

WVGranny
May 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM
When the empty nest came into play for me I had a very difficult time, I would turn the tv or radio on in another room just for the noise but as the years have gone by I am now enjoying it.

Iris Girl
May 26th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I like the quiet this way I can hear myself talking to myself and telling me if I am doing it right or wrong. My prob is short attention span , so I start sewing then look at the internet then look at tv and so on . so not a lot gets sewn at one sitting.

SallyO'Sews
May 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I love my family; I truly do treasure them. But honestly, when I was unable to leave the house for months while I was receiving cancer treatments, I used to look forward to Sundays when they were all gone to church all day. Five years later, I'm rarely alone. I schedule "secret" vacation days and don't tell my family, so I can drop the still-in-school ones off and come home to enjoy the quiet.

DON'T TELL THEM!!!! :icon_heh: