PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Hellos!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Since Blondie isn't here today, I thought I'd say hello to everyone! No pithy sayings, or amazing stories, just a hearty hello to all, and hoping you are all well.

What are your plans for the weekend? I know Wendy is camping, and some are shopping, is anyone quilting while the barbeque smells waft over your house? I don't know about grilling at my house, my poor grill is sadly neglected, I don't think it got one use last year. It was just too darn hot!

My plans for constructing a patriotic quilt top only got so far yesterday. I decided since I love chevrons, I would construct a red, white and blue chevron using fabrics from my stash. I cut the squares, and started sewing. Then my daughter called with the news that the air conditioning system in her home, (which is my home that I rent to her) was done, and needed to be replaced. Thus ended the quilting dreams for the day, and started my journey to find a replacement at a reasonable cost. Yikes! That wasn't what I was intending to spend my money on this week/month/year! But after some research, we have a replacement lined up to go in a week from Monday, for their sake, I hope it is cool til then!

My other daughter was off work, she has been traveling to Atlanta for her new job, and back to St. Louis to prepare the home for selling. The "for sale" sign went up yesterday, the 22 year old whose nest is now for sale has stalked out all mad, and the journey continues. Lots of drama in her life right now, mostly over the 22 year old who thinks the world owes him a living. Grow up, my precious step-grandson, nobody owes you a living, you need to provide it for yourself! Anyway, she took me to lunch and we had a nice time to talk, in between calls to me about the air conditioning and to her about the home sale!

So here's hoping for a calmer day around here, and that you have a wonderful start to the Memorial Day weekend. For our veterans who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, I honor your memory, and thank you for your service to our country. Wave your flags, and remember those folks!

Have a great Saturday!

Bubby
May 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hi Jean,

Sorry there has been so much turmoil in your family this week. We had our share also. One of the tenants broke a sliding patio door at the apartments and it cost us $320 to replace half of a sliding door! I would think that should be the price for a whole new slider...oh well, fewer daily deals for me for a while!

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend. We plan to have a few friends over for a a day of visiting and food...Ribs, grilled lemon chicken, potato salad, broccoli salad, fruit salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, homemade rolls and peach cobbler with homemade ice cream for dessert. I haven't cooked for a crowd for a while.

I painted at the old house four days last week and took yesterday off to grocery shop and clean our house. The laundry had to be dealt with also. I'm caught up and it feels good. We will work in Cuba for about 3 hours today. We have a new tenant moving in June 1.

Have a great weekend everyone!! Hugs, Barb

MRoy
May 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Good Morning! I have no great plans for the weekend. I've been working on Falling Charms blocks and plan to make more today. I'm experimenting with Big Lots charm packs. I visited cemeteries yesterday evening and placed Memorial flowers. I like to get that done before the weekend starts. Living near a large recreational lake, I try to avoid the traffic of the invasion that occurs this weekend. Some people don't slow down on our winding, country roads!

Mom23
May 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Good Morning All,

I'm pouting here this morning. Our plans to go to the cabin are not happening. We were supposed to leave early afternoon yesterday. Well, hubby didn't get home from work until 6:30, and he had to be back early this morning. AND, the coffeepot broke yesterday afternoon. So, this morning I am laying in bed, pouting, and playing on my computer. I think I might just feel sorry enough for myself I will drive to our nearest Joann's, 70 miles away. I really just need to get my butt out of bed and quit pouting!

Jean, sorry you had such a stressful day yesterday. Glad you had a nice lunch with your daughter as I'm sure you miss her.

MayinJerset
May 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Weekend plans are Saturday, catch up with laundry and Sunday a Memorial Day BBQ at DS#1's. Not too sure about outdoor dining at BBQ as it is very cold and raining today, what happened to the 90 temp of the other day. We usually take The Parkway to DS#1's but he lives near The Shore and traffic will be very heavy the holiday weekend so DH will take lots of back roads so we should get there without any bid delays.

No big drama in our house but that could be that we have 3 sons, between them they have 6 DD's ages 16 - 31 so they have plenty of drama in their homes.

grannyann
May 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Good morning. Nothing going on here today. It is cloudy and cool.
Robin have you ever been to Arthur, Il? There is a place called Stitch & Sew Fabrics on Vine St. I love going there when I can. The fabric is great and very reasonable. Don't know how far it is from you but it is a bit of a ride for us.
I have my daughter drive me every now and then just to go somewhere .
Hope everyone has a good safe week end.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
May 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hello all, much cooler this morning in FL. Hope you all have a great weekend and holiday! :icon_hi:

rebeccas-sewing
May 25th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'm working on a surprise necktie quilt for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday. My sis-in-law secretly removed all the ties in her mama's closet and sent them to me along with two ties from each of Joe's three brothers. She also included one she had given to my father-in-law. It's turning out so great! I just need to figure out the issue of framing before the birthday bash beginning of August.

The quilt will measure 16.5" and with the frame probably around 20" or so. I'm not sure I can get it into a suitcase pre-framed without it getting damaged. To take a second piece of luggage to hold it will be about $70. Since everyone is chipping in, maybe I'll go that route, box it up for a plane ride and save myself some stress.

If you have never dismantled a necktie you would be surprised at how much fabric a tie uses. I have enough left over that I'm going to make a silk log cabin quilt or pillows to add to the gift. I've starched the silk but I'm still planning to paper-piece the log cabin blocks. I think I'm going to need the stability since some of the strips are on the bias. I've pinked the edges of all the strips with the pinking rotary blade. Even so we're talking about 33 neckties. It's a lot of cutting. I'll post pics once everything is completed.

So far, I've been enjoying a relaxing weekend. After three-plus weeks of constant touring with my sis the down-time is really appreciated. Enjoy the holiday weekend. No celebrating for us over here. I sure do miss the cookouts.

Mom23
May 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I haven't been to Aurthur since about 1985! It's on the way to Joanne's in Champaign. I'm toying with the idea of making a trip today, might have to stop along the way. Just tried calling my husband to see what time he thought he would be home. His cell phone rang on the kitchen counter, right where he left it. I will run it up to him and see what he wants to do. Thanks for the info Ann.

Good morning. Nothing going on here today. It is cloudy and cool.
Robin have you ever been to Arthur, Il? There is a place called Stitch & Sew Fabrics on Vine St. I love going there when I can. The fabric is great and very reasonable. Don't know how far it is from you but it is a bit of a ride for us.
I have my daughter drive me every now and then just to go somewhere .
Hope everyone has a good safe week end.

CrazyMtnLady
May 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Good morning everyone. Beautiful day here. Although they say there is a tiny chance of some rain. We went and got a load of hay yesterday afternoon and now we have to unload it into the hay tent. We stopped at the new neighbors (2 miles away) and picked up my laptop. It is nice to have a computer to use since DH loves to hog the other one. We visited with them for a while. They are a lovely young couple. They are into gardening and critters. I am happy that my harlequin calico "HalfPint" made her way to them from the other neighbor. She is doing fabulous and is expecting VERY soon. They also have 3 indoor cats, a puppy, a parrot, 2 rabbits and about a dozen or so baby chicks. Right now they are vegetarians because they don't want the "chemicals" used in processing meat. Once they have adult chickens and the rabbits start breeding they will have their own meat. Plus the young man wants to learn to hunt, so DH is going to teach him next hunting season. Ayana is going to show me some ways to cook eggplant, I have never been able to cook it to where I like it.
DH will be leaving for MI next Wednesday. With this being Memorial Day and the traffic he does not want to be on the road. Plus we have to go to the bank and it will be closed on Monday. So Tuesday will be errand day. So he will be able to leave on Wednesday.

We do not have any plans for this weekend. I will probably see what is in the freezer that I can throw on the grill. I really would like to go to town today for a few groceries but I am sure DH will not want to go anywhere.

Oh, the missing kitty yesterday was hiding under a palate of hay. So all is well.

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

HdWench
May 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Jean, thank's for the Saturday Hello's! Sorry about the A/C unit, ouch a dent in fabric $. Had to laugh at the 22 year old thinking someone owes him a living heheeh oh that generation is going to be SO disappointed quickly

I appreciate the sentiment about our current and past veterans. My father served for 24 years, so thank you Dad, Sandy, and all the devoted men and women who served our Country.

Barb? We used to pull our RV into Cuba just to eat the Ribs at that Pig Palace? (can't recall the exact name but campground long shut down). LOL small world!!!

Robin from Effingham, IL!!! *Hi* we'll be staying there mid-June for a few days! Great campground and wonderful Chevy Dealership too. Wasn't into quilting last summer so didn't do any quilt fabric shopping.

Rebecca - that necktie quilt sounds cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how you frame it out. Amazing they put so much fabric into a tie.

Donna - PHEW glad the missing kitty was found!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Nothing going on here. DH cooked for the next few days, so doubt he'll be grilling or smoking meat. Maybe the neighbor will come over and they can go out to the man cave and smoke cigars and have a drink. I'll be in my sewing room. Have a camisole cut out, and need to measure my Falling Charms for an 11" bed drop.

Hugs and a BIG Thanks to everyone who is serving or served to keep us free!

sewbizzy
May 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Good Morning---almost noon!!
It has been very chilly here that last few days---today high of 64...
We are getting together with family this weekend...just a light menu and maybe some card games....
I am also sewing quite a bit these last 2 weeks...yea!!!..we spend time watching our Pittsburgh Penguins and the Pirates on TV when we can...
Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!!! God Bless our Armed Forces!!!