PDA

View Full Version : Friday Greetings

Blondie
May 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Happy Friday Everyone!
I am already feeling as if I am running behind - stayed with Mom last night - she is fine, actually doing better than me - y'all know what I mean! I always get antsy when she has her port accessed but since this is the first time since this new one has been put in - I will sleep better tonite.
Today is also the last day of school in our county. Which means I shall be having my dear sweet Luscious man 24/7 for a few weeks. I need to get my pencil and paper out. I feel a honey do list about to happen.
Since I am running so late and can't think straight because I am still working on my first cuppa, I am going to cheat and put an old blog post here. Y'all know I won't be in here this weekend. Behave yourself, be kinder than you need to and remember to smile until I get back!

Here from 2007: of love, broken dishes and what matters most

We eat off mis-matched china dishes.

I am not saying it is Larry's fault.

When I was just starting out on my own, living in an efficiency apartment in S.C., I used to frequent junk stores. I purchased my furniture, pots, dishes there. Nothing matched. I would laugh and call my decorating style 'Early Poverty". Today those stores are called Antique Stores and I still look for old fashioned junk stores.

I am not saying that this is Larry's fault.

I like mis- matched cups and saucers, luncheon plates and soup bowls. I enjoy serving sloppy casserole meals on old trenchers discarded by greasy spoon diners.
I have Grandma's fine china way up high in a cupboard. A lovely old set of Haviland. Now and then I find a matching piece. I used to serve special people, on a special occasions special meals on these treasures. But then I had children and I stopped that. Melamine was good enough for those little ankle biters. I didn't have to worry about dings, chips, cracks or little bare feet getting sliced open by an errant sliver of china or glass.

I am not saying that this is Larry's fault.

Occasionally I find an exceptionally lovely plate or saucer and I bring it home. I like to think about the sumptuous feasts served upon them, what polite dinner conversation would have been parlayed. Please note that this is important to me because for far too many years as a single mother I would hear "Josh is letting spaghetti noodles hang from his nose again, Mom".
Where am I going with this, you ask? You should know by now that I ramble. My mind is always doing that!

I am not saying that this is Larry's fault either.

I didn't mean to get attached to a crazed plate which cost a mere 49 cents at the local thrift. It wasn't worth more than that, truly. It was old enough to have the gilt almost nearly rubbed off. There was a hairline crack, so faint only a collector's eye would have discarded it. I would eat delicious chicken salad sandwiches, with chips and a dill slice on the side from it. Even a humble P B & J sammich tasted better when served on this dish. It was my favorite 49 cent plate.
Larry used to work as a short order cook years ago. He has an appreciation for the thick diner discards I serve him suppers on. His face absolutely glows with fond recollections of slinging hash. He does the dishes now that the kids are grown and gone. We don't have an automatic dishwasher. Who needed one when I had children? They knew Mom would inspect their handiwork - but Luscious? well, who would need to supervise him? He of the slick diner floors and heavy hammy hands?

I have a "dish garden" out back, a graveyard of bone china so to speak. People think I am clever. But Larry knows better. He KNOWS better.

Yesterday evening after he washed, I went in the kitchen to dry and put away. My beloved plate was in the drainer. I was as oblivious as Larry until I found the offending chard in my palm.

Now that was Larry's fault.

He buried it out back amongst the hen and chicks,morning glories and late blooming cosmos. And that is why Grandma's Haviland is hidden.

But don't tell Larry.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 24th, 2013, 07:15 AM
How fun your post is! What a great storyteller you are, Blondie!

I've gotten "soft" over the past 4 months of retirement, my days have been full of quilts, shopping trips, naps on the recliner. Now, after working 21 hours a week for the last three weeks, working is about to kick my butt bigtime! I come home so tired! Hope I can build up a tolerance for the workload, so I can keep up with my two 72 year old colleagues! They are a hoot to work with, so sweet and helpful!

Got my first compliment yesterday, a client called me a "miracle worker" for letting out her dress enough so she could breathe! There wasn't a whole lot of fabric to let out, but I guess every little bit helps!

I'm in a patriotic mood today. I either drag out my patriotic inspired quilt and put it on the bed, or make something with patriotic fabrics. What to do, what to do? Kensington inspired me with her cute patriotic wreath that she made. My door is red, so a red wreath won't work for me, but I should get something patriotic on my door today. Surely I have something in this house that will work! I do have QOV fabrics and pattern that I could get started on.

Hope everyone has a great flag waving weekend!

MRoy
May 24th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Good morning! Blondie, I'm glad your mom is doing well and I loved your story...I can relate to "Early Poverty" style and I still love old dishes. I used to be in line at the junk store when the door was unlocked at 7 am on Saturday mornings. Then a mad dash was made to get to the things I'd picked out thru the window before someone beat me to them. My sister collected a dish cabinet full of pink depression glass from the junk store.

Jean, I'm sure you'll get lots more compliments for your work as more people see what a great seamstress you are. I'd like to work part-time at something I enjoy after I retire but I may sleep through most of the first month. LOL!

Happy Friday and happy Memorial day weekend!

dwil23
May 24th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Good Morning!

Should have been up earlier, but since it was my only night off, slept in a longer. Now to catch up. I'm meeting my friend at Joann's when they open - we both need some supplies and then off to her house to sew until time for me to come home, take a nap and then off to work tonight. Work sure gets in the way of me doing the things I want to do - and even a lot of things I should do whether I want to or not.

DD didn't come home from work last night and we didn't hear from her. When she finally did get home, she was driving a new (to her) car. This to replace the one that was totaled in the accident a few weeks ago. So to add to my morning list, we have to go pick up the car she was driving and left at the dealer. I wish she would have waited a little longer, but what does Mom know?

Everyone have a Blessed day and a safe Holiday weekend!

Bubby
May 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Good Morning,

I'm on my way to paint at the old house for about 4 hours this morning and then home to mow. Tomorrow will be a busy day in Cuba.

In a few weeks Jeff and I will begin an adventure of caring for DD's two Scotty dogs...Miss Dottie and Miss Olive. We will drive to New Mexico to pick them up. They will be with us for a few months, so we will be good friends by the time they leave. Jeff is worried I will get too attached and be heartbroken when they have to leave us.

Blondie, I love your post this morning. I love old mismatched dishes. Right now the set we are using matches and I find that so boring....I think this carries over from my love for scrappy quilts!

Wishing everyone a great Memorial weekend. Let's remember the men and women who gave their lives serving our country.

Hugs, Barb

Evilynn
May 24th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Good afternoon!

YAY... she's back! Beautifully as ever, she sang her song in the morning. Who does she mean you might ask? OF COURSE the nightingale we have in our garden :D Believe me, you don't want to hear me sing although Juha thinks I sing beautifully myself. Yea. Right. LOL! I'd probably make even Janna cry... ahah!

Yes, I am in good mood today. I am a bit worried because I do notice now the ups and downs I have myself. I hope that will vanish over time. I haven't touched a sewing machine in weeks. I tried to make some coasters the other day but they were horrible. :s I wanted to gift them.. but no, I can't gift these ugh! I'll have to redo them. I don't know what's wrong with me! I have made quilts and now I fail at coasters? Hm. Speaking of a quilt. I started a "whiggly whimsey" quilt (found on the moda bakeshop site and someone here made it already too!) ... well, "started" is exaggerated. I cut the charmpack already. LOL! Hoping to get something done today quilty wise...

Have a nice day! And be happy :)

Love,

Steffie

shermur
May 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Mornin', darlins'! Happy Friday to all! Yesterday was the last day of school at this household; part of me says "thank goodness" and yet, I will miss the structure. Yet, thankful I don't have to deal with a grumpy child in the mornings...lol! New puppy dog, Dottie is coming along well with her obedience training and becoming the joy of our lives. I have decided on trying Jenny's Falling Charms quilt for child #3....
Three days off this weekend; there is a softball tournament and since hubby will be heavily involved; I plan on staying home and keep the home going and hopefully get this 3rd quilt started? Cross your fingers!
Everyone please have a safe holiday weekend and please have blessed memories of those loved ones that have gone on before us!

Mpyles
May 24th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Good morning!

Back to work today for me!! Jean...I can only imagine how tired you would be after being off work for a while. Heck at 49 I am dead tired most days! I had a productive day off yesterday, got the oil changed in the truck as well as belts and fluids checked. Went to the dog groomers, only to find out I need an appointment...and that's 2 weeks out...who woulda thought?? Took jake, our lab to the vet.....for his yearly physical and rabies vaccination. Poor little guy...well little is an overstatement...he weighed in at 104 lbs. he pouted at me for quite awhile after we got home. The visit cost me 230.00 but that did include 45.00 in heartworm medicine and 12.00 in ear drops. Worked on my blocks for the building blocks club...,one didn't measure out...so need to redo it. Prepared a really good grill stir fry over brown rice. Walked the dog and got my laundry done as well as wander thru here many times throughout the day.

Today...is just another workday....would love to keep the momentum going around the house....but gotta pay for the house. Steffie, glad you are feeling good today! Barb...you have a busy day planned! Blondie shave a great weekend!

Well...I owe I owe......

Everyone have a great day!!!

aliaslaceygreen
May 24th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Good Morning!

I don't like matchy match either, Blondie... I DO have stuff that does match, but more along the lines of 5 different sets, intermixed. My DH thinks me eccentric, but goes along with it... No rain today, but no nightingales signing either!

Have a great day!

CrazyMtnLady
May 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Good morning all. Beautiful day here today.
Went out to feed the cats and one of the kittens is missing. Probably hiding under the palates the hay is sitting on. I will go out and look again later to see if it has come out of hiding.

We didn't get hay or my laptop yesterday. We both were just not up to it. I am one big mass of "itching" from head to toe and my right eye looks like someone punched me. DH looked up a bunch of "cures" on the internet and I have put a wet tea bag on my eye, rinsed with a light salt water solution and rubbed milk around my eye. It looks worse this morning. As red as a fire engine. I am going to get me some Off Deep Woods Sportsmen II repellent and wear it 24/7. I woke up this morning with a tick attached to my butt. I had to wake up DH to get it off. OUCH! I hate ticks. This is the worst I have seen them since I moved here. I will be giving the dogs a bath this weekend and then treating them with flea and tick stuff.

Blondie...loved your story. I do not have any "good" china at all. I have 2 sets of stoneware and every single piece has at least a crack if not a chip in it, coffee cups have been broken and I keep saying I am never buying stoneware again. I am going to get some Melamine next time I buy dishes.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Hugs and prayers to all.

MayinJerset
May 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Blondie, I love your post as I have some 'favorite' dishes that make the food taste so much better. I also have spent many a happy hour or two in old junk or thrift stores and garage sakes going through piles of old china looking for goodies. I have a collection of blue and white dieshes in my dining room hutch, some really great china and others give away dishes from the supermarkets. Also have a collection of old china cups and saucers and small plates that I use when I have the girls over for tea or a meeting. I carry a list of pieces that I need to make another 'set', a saucer with some blue in it, a small plate with roses and also a photo of the design on my grandmother's 1930s "china." Grandmother didn't really have china but it was a set from Sears that were the Sunday dishes. I also have a set of Noritake china for 10 that DH sent me from Japan when he was stationed there in the early 1950s, hey they are now 'old dishes' to the younger gals. I replaced a few pieces years ago at Restoration China, planned a vacation around stopping there. They brought out new, slightly used and old dishes for me to select from. I chose the slightly used as they matched my set perfectily.

Glad the rain has stopped as contractor's helper was here at 8am and has already begun taking out the 2nd window and he should have the wall closed up quickly in case the rain appears again. Anxious to get new window treatments for the 2 remaining windows in the room. Since DH talked me out of replacing them I feel free to spend more than I planned to cover them. Was thinking of shades that open from the top and bottom. Does anyone have them? DH is very careless about pulling shades or blinds up and down as was wondering if I would be better off getting ones with cords or cordless.

Steffie, glad the nightengale is back, what a nice way to begin the day.

Sandy Navas
May 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Truly enjoying everyone's DISHY stories. I'm sitting here feeling pretty numb though and it's a weird feeling. You've all been there, when your brain seems to be stalled, your body just isn't going anywhere special, and you have no idea what you will be doing for entertainment the rest of the day. Other than having some great fun and laughter with the siblings yesterday and an oh-so-so meal (yes, I was very disappointed in my BBQ), the rest of the day was pretty much a wash.

Thought we were going to have the pool opened on Wednesday but the pool boy hasn't shown and we haven't heard from him. Of course, when we get up in the morning to 40+ degree temps it sure doesn't feel like swimming weather.

Off to the sewing cave to have what I hope to be a very productive day. Now if the little bits will give me some space . . . and quiet.

Mom23
May 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Good Morning All,

Blondie, I love your term "Early Poverty"! That was certainly me when I was in college. I have gotten into a vintage mood lately and have been buying vintage dishes, bowls, casseroles, and glasses. Nothing matches very well but that's what I love about it. We have a very old set of melamine dishes at out cabin. They are lavender and white with flowers. When I find something more cabin appropriate I will replace them and bring the pretties home so I can use them for lunch dishes.

Speaking of the cabin, we are headed there for the weekend. It's close enough we will be back in town once or twice to check on the business and grab the mail.

Steffie, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. We all have days when sewing just doesn't work out.

toggpine
May 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Good Morning!
I went to bed at a more normal time, so I didn't pass Blondie on the way this morning!

I did get the walls all painted with that one gallon. I have about a cup of paint left for touch-ups. That is a bit closer than I would have liked! I still have the couple of spots on the ceiling to touch up and the trim to paint. Then to badger Hubby to get his part done. I AM going to get this place in order by August!

A trip to the feed mill and to pick up some bedding shavings is in order for this morning. Then I get to strip the barn and re-bed it. Whoo Hoo! The fun just never ends!

You all have a great day!
Cathy

WendyI
May 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Well I thought I might make it in here before the morning was over but looks like that's not happenin! Busy morning FINALLY here! I like that much better!

Walked out of the house today...to SNOW!! Yes...you read that correctly! IT was SNOWING!! That really IS becoming a four letter word around here! Of course it didn't stick and the flakes were tiny, but I was lookin for my straight jacket! We are going camping this weekend...got the trailer all tidied up and ready to go. Tonight we'll pack up food, blankies and dogglettes and off we go....about 20 minutes down the road! LOL! Staying in town this weekend as it's the first run out so making sure everything is running tip-top before taking any long road trips!

All I can say is TGIF!! And I only worked three days this week!!

lilmouse
May 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Morning all, I slept in today...went to bed early and slept 13 hours...I was tired. Only caught a couple the night before so that does explain it....made a pillow cover yesterday with some cheap batiks I had laying around...turned out cute...used the tutorial of the pleated pillow Jenny did with V and Co. I like it.
Made a "to do" list on Wednesday morning and for the first time ever was able to cross everything off of it....finished up the commissioned quilt and made a coordinating pillowcase for it as our gift; so that is off of my mind..now have to decide what to do next.
Feeling icky this morning but not sure if it is allergies or ear infection...will try the allergy medicine first and see what happens.
Hope everyone has a great weekend...I am working all weekend so not much happening here. Steve is in Texas at the moment; don't know where he is headed next but he stays in touch via the cell phone so it isn't too bad having him gone.
Will check in later today with everyone
Hugs and smiles for all, Susie

Tanya D
May 24th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Happy Friday everyone!

It's raining cats and dogs here with no sign of letting up. We are still under a heavy rainfall warning and now they have added high winds to the mix. I plan to head home after work and get into my jammies and get some stuff done around the house...dusting, the bathrooms and some laundry.

Speaking of a quilt. I started a "whiggly whimsey" quilt (found on the moda bakeshop site and someone here made it already too!) ... well, "started" is exaggerated. I cut the charmpack already. LOL! Hoping to get something done today quilty wise...

I made the Wiggly Whimsy quilt Steffi and I just love how it turned out. Emma uses it on her bed. It's quite easy and simple to put together but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I hope all the US folks have a great long weekend. We had ours last weekend...love 3 day weekends and short work weeks!

Travel safe!