PDA

View Full Version : WHY are some people SO irresponsible?!? Sorry...need to VENT!

WendyI
May 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
My cousin lives close to me...about 20 min away and is pretty much the only family I have close by.

Anyway...her daughter is only a year older than my son and they are always asking to take Liam places with them. They wanted take him on a cruise last year. You'd think this would be great but it's not really. I can't stand her husband and my cousin is an alcoholic. A functioning one but a drunk none-the-less. I just don't trust her with my kid.

Well last weekend was a holiday weekend here and they were going to visit her sister who lives in the country about 5 hours away. They begged me to let Liam go with them so I caved and did. She said to make sure that Liam had things to entertain him for the trip (games, iPod etc). and his bike etc.

So we sent him with our Blackberry Playbook that has movies on it, his cell phone so he could call us if he needed to, and some very expensive BB guns since they are in the country and he can never use them in the city.

He came home without his cell phone...no one bothered to check and make sure he had it. One of the BB guns was broken...this is a180 dollar airsoft not a dollar store piece of junk, and we just discovered that someone tried to shove the charger in the playbook upside down hard enough that it broke!! The Playbook is now likely garbage.

Thankfully my other cousin found his cell phone and will ship it to us...but between the Playbook and BB gun we are out about $500. I just do NOT understand how two adults can be SO irresponsible?! Liam is so careful with his things! He's used the playbook for the past two years and charged it without issues. He knows how to use his toys and take care of them. He has teeney tiny little toys that he has hung onto for years! He just doesn't abuse his things!

My DH has managed to get the Playbook to charge but the pins were bent and had to be pushed back. WHO DOES THAT!??!

bkthomas
May 23rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Sorry that happened Wendy - vent away! .....and next time she asks.....No!!!!

bubba
May 23rd, 2013, 11:15 PM
Perhaps they are related to the idiot I was working with earlier tonight....thank goodness she just went home! I am working alone now, basically for the next four hours, but I feel my blood pressure dropping by the second!

Grandma G
May 23rd, 2013, 11:31 PM
Who does that? Totally irresponsible people, that's who. Their behavior just reinforced the fact that you won't let it happen again. Sorry this has happened to you Wendy.

ilive2craft2
May 23rd, 2013, 11:46 PM
So hard to tell family no, isn't it? I am happy that Liam got home safe and sound. Vent away any time you need to. :)

Have you worked on the witch lately? now that the minecraft quilt is done, wasn't sure if you were going to start something else or go back to working on the witch - which is beautiful and needs a different nickname than the witch. LOL :)

Mpyles
May 24th, 2013, 12:01 AM
The next time they ask i think I would say....ya.....no!!! I would also have a hard time not venting to her what you just vented...knowing full well it would cause hard feelings....but then no one ever said I had any filters!! Sometimes people need to hear what they really don't want to hear!! Anyway...glad you got some of it back and fixed!!

K. McEuen
May 24th, 2013, 12:56 AM
WHO DOES THAT!??!

A drunk.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I really have no use for alcoholics what so ever. If you got your act together and have stayed clean for years, more power to you, but someone that needs alcohol to function in life is a waste of space.

Evilynn
May 24th, 2013, 01:17 AM
A drunk.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I really have no use for alcoholics what so ever. If you got your act together and have stayed clean for years, more power to you, but someone that needs alcohol to function in life is a waste of space.

As some of you might know, alcohol is a huge issue here in Finland or in nordic countries generally that's why the taxing on alcohol is insane here. You don't get a bottle of wine, no matter how cheap it is elsewhere, for under 10 Euro!! Why? Well most who abuse drinking are using alcohol as an attempt to get rid of depression. They have never learnt it in another way. And that was also the issue of the alcoholics I met in Germany (2 of them)... they were depressed. :icon_neutral:

Sorry Wendy, you have to experience this. Vent away! I can understand you're annoyed by that! Next time they want to take Liam... say NO!

toggpine
May 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Crayons & paper. A book. Journal, pen, & colored pencils.

Although my guess is there won't be a next time.

auntiemern
May 24th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Have to agree with Karen on this one. If you are responsible for someones else's child you don't drink while they are in your care. I too have no use for drunks or alcoholics. I see nothing wrong with social drinking, but but ya just don't get drunk when children are present. IMHO.

rebeccas-sewing
May 24th, 2013, 06:28 AM
How disappointing that you can't trust your son in the care of your cousin. That would definitely be cause to end any future outings with that family in charge of your son's supervision. It's sad this happened but now you have very good cause to say no if they ask again. Some items were damaged this time. They can be replaced. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Alcoholism/drug addiction are such a problem. My cousin died not long ago from alcoholism. A close friend has a son who has really destroyed his brain addicted to Meth. I just recently lost another cousin from esophageal cancer caused from smoking. I'm sure all of us know someone who suffers from addiction. Many of us have most likely lost someone from this kind of abuse. It's just such a sad waste of life. I agree that it is a self-medication for depression, but I'm not sure it's quite that simple. There are so many ways for people to abuse themselves. Let's not forget the obesity problem and the ongoing problem of addiction to cigarettes. We all make choices in life. I feel so blessed that I'm not fraught with any of these issues. My heart hurts for those who struggle with addiction.

HdWench
May 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
(((Wendy))) Agree with all that's written and also want to say, I'm VERY happy to hear they brought HIM back alive!! What a waste to spend your time boozing up (I too think its depression and a lot of other things) and would be horrified if they drank while driving with him! Please vent and stand up and say NO, while you choose booze over the safety of the children, what lesson is that showing both kids??

Aww sorry to hear, but GLAD he got back alive -- *things* broken aren't worth his life

quilter.martha
May 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I would ask you son some questions to see if he knows what happened to his things. Could it possibly have been another child to cause the damage? I would also ask him if he saw your cousin drinking. THEN I would speak with your cousin and ask her about it. Regardless of that outcome, I would definitely hesitate to allow your son to go out with them again. Make sure they know the reason why!

WendyI
May 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks all. I feel a bit bad now about my post...venting in anger is not a good thing. I do love my cousin and to give her credit, she is very responsible with my son, just not with his things. She would NEVER, EVER drink and drive and particularly not with my son in the car....but I'm sure she has been drunk in front of him. Thankfully he can't really tell if someone has been drinking. She has had a horribly difficult life, and has overcome so many hardships...I will spare you the details but it's not pretty and took place at the hands of multiple men...enough said.

She admits she has a drinking problem but does not think she can function without it. She does work and holds a very well paid full time job with the government and is very responsible in most cases. She just never seems to understand the value of other people's things....and her husband is even worse. However, they have agreed to fix the Playbook and the cell phone was found. I never had the heart to mention the BB gun because I know she already felt bad about it.

However, I may indeed think twice about a second request to take him somewhere. Just not worth the stress! Did I mention she went to the store and left her idiot husband in charge...this is what she found when she came back...look closely at the tree:

Doloris
May 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
is that Liam in the tree? Pine trees don't have particularly strong branches. I know boys love to climb trees ( have 2 of them. boys not trees) but they need stronger trees.

WendyI
May 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Yep...that's my boy way up in that half dead tree. To give my cousin credit she just about ripped her DH's head off when she saw Liam up there....but she took time to take a pic first. LOL!

At first I couldn't understand why she was sending me a picture of a doghouse and a tree!

rebeccas-sewing
May 24th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Yikes! That's a long way up!