PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Blades

brook
May 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
I've noticed that my blades seem to be getting dull faster these days. Is anyone else experiencing this? I put a blade in 2 days ago, and I confess, I did use it today to cut 2 hems off of a denim pair of pants. But that shouldn't kill it beings that it was so new.
Before this one, the last one seemed to dull fast also. They get,what feels like, a nick in the blade but nothing visible. :icon_beuj:
Any ideas here?

mom4him
May 23rd, 2013, 10:18 PM
Rotery blades are so expensive! I bought this from Amazon the first of the year and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCHG9A/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figure in a year it will easily pay for itself. Does a great job.

bkthomas
May 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
Rotery blades are so expensive! I bought this from Amazon the first of the year and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCHG9A/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to get me one of those!

tamsterg7
May 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM

I bought it too - at the Paducah Quilt show - and I love it. Agree that it will more than pay for itself in no time! I was leary that it wouldn't really sharpen the blade and I would have wasted money, but boy was I wrong - it is worth the $$.

jsmetcalf
May 23rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
How is that every time I think of some random question I see it here. I just today asked my DH what kind of tool he might have out in his shop that could sharpen my rotary blade. He thought a tool made for the job was my best bet as he was slightly fearful of HOLDING A RAZOR BLADE while trying to make it even sharper!!! Thanks for the lead on this sharpener. I had seen it advertised on the Amazon site and it's good to know that y'all have it and endorse it.

Auntpiggylpn
May 23rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
What kind of condition is your cutting mat in? If the mat is worn out, it will dull your blade faster. Also, is your mat a self healing mat? If not, that will dull your blade quickly

Sharyn J
May 23rd, 2013, 11:13 PM
Auntpigglpn is right. I just discarded my old mat because my blades were wearing out in an afternoon. I bought a new self healing mat and that helps a lot, but I think they're making these blades cheaper or something because they sure don't last as long as they used to last. Maybe I'll check out that sharpener.

mom4him
May 23rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
How is that every time I think of some random question I see it here. I just today asked my DH what kind of tool he might have out in his shop that could sharpen my rotary blade. He thought a tool made for the job was my best bet as he was slightly fearful of HOLDING A RAZOR BLADE while trying to make it even sharper!!! Thanks for the lead on this sharpener. I had seen it advertised on the Amazon site and it's good to know that y'all have it and endorse it.

I am sorry, Judy, but your post made me laugh.(It has been a rather rough month this week!) I got this visual of someone trying to hold that round blade at a grinder, trying to get it sharp, keep it round and not get their hand cut off. Order the sharpener. LOL

Auntpiggylpn
May 23rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Are they name brand blades or Harbor Freight blades?

jsmetcalf
May 23rd, 2013, 11:42 PM
I am sorry, Judy, but your post made me laugh.(It has been a rather rough month this week!) I got this visual of someone trying to hold that round blade at a grinder, trying to get it sharp, keep it round and not get their hand cut off. Order the sharpener. LOL

I agree. That man is way too good at making things like cutting tables and kitchen islands to expect him to do it with one hand or 8 fingers!! :) By the way, Sandy...sorry it's been a rough week/month. Hope tomorrow is better.

mom4him
May 24th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I agree. That man is way too good at making things like cutting tables and kitchen islands to expect him to do it with one hand or 8 fingers!! :) By the way, Sandy...sorry it's been a rough week/month. Hope tomorrow is better.

Thanks, Judy. I felt the Lord show me a scripture just a bit ago.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1) I know I simply need to trust more and worry less, knowing that my Heavenly Father will not fail me.

bubba
May 24th, 2013, 12:34 AM

That is what I pictured in my head too!!!! I may do some crazy things, but even I would not attempt that!

bubba
May 24th, 2013, 12:52 AM
So, does anyone actually have this in hand yet, and if so, exactly how loud is it?? Does it shoot sparks as it sharpens?

brook
May 24th, 2013, 03:02 AM

Thanks Sandy, I just ordered it and hoping it will save me some money, which I'm sure it will. : )

Doloris
May 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I have that sharpener too. it is pretty loud, and you put a drop of oil on the discs so no sparks LOL. I find that I have to run it a little longer than they recommend, but it does a good job.

Sandy Navas
May 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have the same sharpener and absolutely love it. I really don't feel it is that loud either. It sure makes it more cost-efficient to use the rotary cutters.

mom4him
May 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
So, does anyone actually have this in hand yet, and if so, exactly how loud is it?? Does it shoot sparks as it sharpens?

Bubba, I have it and have used it. The blade is totally encased for the sharpening process so no flying sparks. I am pretty sensitive to sound and didn't notice it being loud. I am sure for me it will pay for itself quickly.