PDA

View Full Version : New Sewing machine shopping

Bailey65
May 23rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
Well I went out to 2 dealers today looking at machines. Talk about overwhelming :(
I have not made the plunge yet because I still have 3 more dealers I want to visit.

Here is what I looked at so far:

Bernina- WAY out of price range

Babylock- Pricey but didn't really fall in love with anything

Brother- Okay but didn't really see anything yet that I wanted

Janome- Looked at the Janome 6600 I like it still cannot commit

Elna 760- I really, really liked but cannot justify the $$$ ( and not sure hubby would like me to spend so much)

So I will check out the other 3 dealers tomorrow and I will keep you all posted.

Cat n bull
May 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
I understand how overwhelming it can be!

Have FUN at the next few dealer visits! My advice is to consider the DEALER as well as the machines. How they make you feel, their attitude, how knowledgeable they are about their machines.

Good luck!

kelliedi
May 23rd, 2013, 05:10 PM
be sure and look at Pfaff too

Hulamoon
May 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Check out Vikings too :)

cyndiofthevortex
May 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
If you go to Merrie Stitches in Portsmouth mention you're friends with Jonas and Cyndi Zoller! She'll give us a prize just for you showing up and she will also probably offer you a reduced price if you decide to buy. Ask her about her almost-new machines, too.

GOOD LUCK on your search. I hope you find the exact machine that you will love for years and years.

Bailey65
May 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
If you go to Merrie Stitches in Portsmouth mention you're friends with Jonas and Cyndi Zoller! She'll give us a prize just for you showing up and she will also probably offer you a reduced price if you decide to buy. Ask her about her almost-new machines, too.

GOOD LUCK on your search. I hope you find the exact machine that you will love for years and years.

Cyndi,

I am heading there tomorrow and I will be sure to tell her that she came highly recommended by Jonas and yourself :D

Again, I want to thank ALL of you for the support! It truly does help knowing our all right here to help at a moments notice. I absolutely love this forum! A forum member that I have not physically met yet but have spoken to her on the phone and we have sent e-mails back and forth through the forum - Would you believe she left me a very sweet message the other day saying she had read my post about my machine and offered to let me borrow one of hers, how sweet is that??? I declined because I would hate to be responsible for someone else's machine but her offer made me smile from the inside out.

I am now trying to find Reviews on the Elna 760. Do any of you have one? would you mind me asking how much you paid? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post to the entire group.

SuzyQue
May 23rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Good luck! You have so many dealers to choose from.....lucky duck! I love my Janome 6600! I echo the suggestion to choose a dealer that you really like, too. .....it is important!

Bailey65
May 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Good luck! You have so many dealers to choose from.....lucky duck! I love my Janome 6600! I echo the suggestion to choose a dealer that you really like, too. .....it is important!

It's funny that you say that because the first dealer seemed like a Saleperson just trying to sell a pretty machine and she was the manager and didn't even know what the warranty was on the machine's. The second place I went the gentlemen was the owner/saleperson/repair person. He told me all about the inside of the machine and even brought me out back to show me several machines he had apart. I will be hitting 3 more places in the morning but tomorrow afternoon my husband and I are going back together to talk to the gentlemen. I kind of wanted my husbands input just to make sure I was not all wrapped up in the moment. I have never spent this kind of money on myself and I want to make sure I am making the correct decision :)

lilmouse
May 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have the Elna 740 and I love it; have had it about a year no and no issues with it at all!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
Out of all the Janome's I've owned, the 6600 was truly my favorite. If that helps, it is just one more opinion.

Bailey65
May 23rd, 2013, 09:05 PM
Out of all the Janome's I've owned, the 6600 was truly my favorite. If that helps, it is just one more opinion.

Thank you Jean your opinion is very respected on this forum and I appreciate your input.

cyndiofthevortex
May 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM
How did your shopping go? I do hope you'll find something you'll love at the right price. It sounds to me like you should go back to that second shop you went to with the gentleman who knew all about the machines he sells.

SuzyQue
May 24th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I think it is great that you are taking your hubby as you go look at machines. My hubby went and was invaluable! He could tell by listening to machines which were the better motors.....something I didn't think of. There were machines that he said no to, just by the sound!

Bailey65
May 24th, 2013, 09:08 PM
How did your shopping go? I do hope you'll find something you'll love at the right price. It sounds to me like you should go back to that second shop you went to with the gentleman who knew all about the machines he sells.

Hi Cyndi,

Well due to not feeling 100% I did not make it to New Hampshire today. But Gene and I did make it back to see the gentleman I saw yesterday tonight. Gene had to take some measurements to be sure the NEW machine will fit in my Island. So after talking with Tony and coming back home with the measurements we probably will go back in the morning to pick it up. I have decided on the Elna 760
it seems like alot of machine for the price (which is way more than I ever thought I would pay for a machine) But Gene believes you get what you pay for. I feel selfish for spending this kind of money but like Gene said "How often do you ever spend money on yourself"?

Here is a link to the New Machine I will be getting/Gene will have to retrofit my island because the machine is alot large than my Singer: http://www.elnausa.com/en-us/promotions.php?promotion=554

It is the same exact machine as this Janome: http://www.janomespecials.com/mc8900-mc8200/

I am excited :D

I am hoping we can be there when they open tomorrow and get back to my Grandson's Birthday party for 11:00! I cannot wait to start using it.

ilive2craft2
May 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Fannie, that is so exciting! Have fun with the new machine - can't wait to see what projects you do. :)

laf512
May 24th, 2013, 09:53 PM
How exciting! That looks like such a NICE machine!

Ginny B
May 24th, 2013, 10:29 PM
How exciting! I remember how anxious I was while I was waiting for my new Pfaff. I spend a lot of time with her -- as well as my other machines. Have fun with the new addition.

Ginny B

auntiemern
May 24th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I truly love my new Brother NX450Q. It pieces and quilts like a dream. It has everything I was looking for. and had great reviews. Good luck with you search.

HdWench
May 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Fanny, how exciting you've got her all picked out and she'll be sewing for you soooo err Sew soon!! Good luck and Congratulations!!

I know it feels awful "thinking" about spending a ton of money on a sewing machine, but !!! We are worth it, you will USE the heck out of it, and it will make wonderful things for a long time to come!! Divide the money into how many Years of use ;-) see it's NOT too much.

Enjoy!

sewbizzy
May 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Fanny, so glad you have settled on a machine you love...happy sewing!!!!