PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - my back to work day

Blondie
May 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies! Oh yeah, it IS thursday - sorry if this has taken you as much by surprise as it has me. But Thursday it is.

Yesterday was a nice day weather wise. No rain, the sun was out and temps were warmish - to the cicadas delight. I declare that they sound like an alien space ship landing. I told Luscious yesterday as the sound of their screeching hum seems to be drawing closer that "the mother ship has landed; they are here". The least is it sounds like living in a tropical jungle. Here is a pic. Don't look further if you don't like bugs

This really doesn't show how many there really are. Also heard that we are not only having the 17 year cicadas, but also the 7 year. Oy. I don't really mind them but they are noisy. I have yet to figure out their purpose. I did read that the UN recently commented that "WE" should be eating more insects. That ain't gonna be happening here on The Hill anytime soon, however, if they will give me a box and net, I will be glad to send their delegated a box full of these yummy critters.

Work today and then Mom to get her IVIG treatment. Since I made Luscious eat leftovers last night, I need to figure out what to do for dinner tonite. When the children were very young I remember one time in particular when I made goulash. Joshua, my middle one, was always my pickiest eater. You know the kind. He would always sniff at his food to help him decide if it would make it to his mouth. With askance, he would often eye the pot or dish the meal was in. Casseroles were his least favorite. I mean, all the FOOD WAS TOUCHING each other. The particular evening that goulash was made, he glanced at the food on his plate with great suspicion. Not even sniffing it, he looked up at me and said "What is this called?" Hateful mommy that I was and am, I said what does it look like? Josh grabbed Sarah, his closest sibling and said, "Don't eat it, its throw up"

With that vision in your mind this early morning, I wish you the happiest of days. There is hardly a day that goes by without a tragic event somewhere in the world that gets smaller with each happening. Even living in my own little awesome bubble I am not totally unaware of world happenings. Prayers for those in London. Rebecca, I am assuming you are blocks, miles away from that sad happening.

Hug each friend you see today; extra hugs for your family count towards more well being. I am gonna grab my cup of joe and sit on the deck and listen to the cicadas. It will be my own 5 minute vakay into the tropics. I take the best vakays in my head. Why, I even have a figger again!

SMILE

toggpine
May 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Good Morning Blondie and everyone else soon to come along. I'm passing you on my way to bed.

I have all but one wall done with two coats of paint. I am hoping I can get the last wall out of the paint I have left in the gallon of Glacier Bay blue. It would chap my hide if I have to go buy a quart to finish off one corner! I found a spot on the ceiling I missed and the Pooh's Umbrella is poking through the white where the roller bumped the ceiling the last time we painted. I'll have a few touch ups there for sure.

After her speech therapy today, Em & I are going to get our summer hair cuts. It was the coldest day we have ever had in May yesterday, so we might be jumping the gun a bit, but we are optimistic, and going to do it anyhow.

You all have a good day and make someone smile!
Hugs, Cathy

Bubby
May 23rd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Morning Everyone.

I bounced out of bed at 2 am ready to tackle the world. Of course, Jeff was still sleeping so I couldn't make any noise. So, I cleared off the messy table in my sewing room and washed a load of clothes and got them dried and hung up.

I painted at our old house yesterday and got the living room walls rolled. Today I will paint around the windows and ceiling...then I will get started on the hallway and a little alcove off the kitchen where I used to have my computer. I hate to paint, but I love the end result, so I keep trudging along. Last summer I painted the inside of all the kitchen cabinets...now that was a nightmare of a project.

I packed away my sewing machine a few days ago when we were expecting bad storms and it's still in the sewing room closet. I will dig her out and get her plugged in today. I wish Reggie would call to tell me my quilts are done and ready to be picked up. I'm in the mood for binding.

Our prayers continue for those devastated by the tornado in OK...it's encouraging to see how far Joplin has come in one year after their disaster. I hope the same thing for the citizens of OK.

I wish everyone a good Thursday. Blondie, have a great first day back...Hugs, Barb

Evilynn
May 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Morning.. or rather, good afternoon! (13:50 pm)

I just put Janna outside in the buggy to take her afternoon-nap. Mind you, after my adventures yesterday, I hid some keys into the outer house that's not locked. As funny as climbing through that tiny window was, it's something I don't wanna repeat unless I really have to. I feel much better than yesterday, thankfully!

It seems, the nightingale, that we had in our garden, has vanished. I didn't even know it is a nightingale that I enjoy listening to (never heard one before! they are so rare here...and in Germany too), I stumbled accidentally over a video on youtube in which one sings. Her chatter and singing was so beautiful in the mornings that I just sat there for several minutes listening to her song ... there's a reason they call nightingales special! This morning there was none of her songs. :( Let's hope she was just wandering around!

Barb, I hope you will find the time today to dig your sewingmachine out and create something.

Cathy, have fun at the hairdresser! From time to time it feels good to pamper yourself. I would know, haha!

Today I am also thinking about our Lisa who has been missing for a while now. (Or are you lurking? :) HOpe you're alright!) Sending you an extra big hug!

All others of you get of course also one of my e-hugs, just because you're AWESOME!

Steffie

MRoy
May 23rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Good morning! I gave formal written notice of my August 1 retirement yesterday. I have more paperwork to complete and it's a done deal! I didn't know how I'd feel about it, but I feel very good. I'm physically and mentally tired and I'm ready for some relaxation. Now my supervisor can start working on hiring my replacement.

Blondie, they're talking about cicadas on the TODAY show. I haven't seen any yet. It's time to put down the coffee and get ready for work. Happy Thursday everyone!

aliaslaceygreen
May 23rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Good morning... beginning of a dreadful two day inventory at work today...I stayed too late trying to make the areas I was working on perfect but I think it was so much fiddling while Rome burns; if there are as many 'issue' areas left as I discovered last night (and there ARE, trust me) ...well a LONG two days...

I just don't understand corp mentality. We are cut to the bone in payroll, literally to the point there aren't people avail to service you, and then, NO additional hours to prepare... all to save a few $$...when they are losing far more in lost sales and other ways....

Ah... but there it is, and off I go...

Hugs to all!

Monique
May 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Good morning everyone. I am just about all packed and ready for the retreat. Just need a shower and breakfast and then off I am. I hope to accomplish lots this weekend.

Steffie, I am glad today is a better day for you.

Myrna, congratulations on your retirement.

Cathy and Barb, happy painting. I love to paint.

Lastly, Blondie, safe travels with Mom today. I have heard those bugs and they are noisy for sure.

To everyone else, y'all have a marvelous day.

MayinJerset
May 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Good Morning everyone, waiting for coffee to brew is like waiting for a pot to boil so I'm checking in to see what's doing here while waiting. Began great grandson George's quilt yesterday and the top is almost finished. If my progress keeps up I will have it finished well before his Christening.

Been taking out last years spring - summer clothes and decided I have to go shopping as all I'm finding are clothes to wear around the house. I hate clothes shopping but sometimes I have to bite the bullet and do it. I've tried ordering on line and haven't been too successful, order my regular size and half the clothes are too small and the other half are too big or too long.

Coffee is done so I wish everyone a good day. May

rebeccas-sewing
May 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
No worries, Blondie! I'm not near the trouble. The only trouble I had today was getting my sister to Heathrow to catch her flight back to the states. One wrong decision can sure cause a person a big headache. Going to St. James Underground Station instead of Victoria would've been a lot less stressful. Trying to catch public transit at morning or evening rush hour is often a nightmare. Hundreds of people rushing here and there is taxing. I usually look for a large man and walk directly behind him so he can blaze the trail through the sea of bodies coming our way. By the time I got home from the airport (the whole event took over 3 hours), coffee and food was all I could think about! Right now I'm enjoying the first cup and taking a break with a pb&J sandwich. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that sis has an uneventful flight home. Three weeks of touring with her and I'm absolutely exhausted!!! I'm sure she feels the same way. We had lots of fun, and I got to take in some new adventures not previously experienced.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone! Thursday is my Friday, and I'm looking forward to a long weekend, even though I will be babysitting Sat. And Sun. Yesterday was grueling at work, who knew sitting at a sewing machine could make you so tired?

My new bosses are really happy to have me work for them. Hey, finding someone who can sew and has few other obligations is a bonus for them. The owners of the company were on site and working to add more displays, so it was a busy day.

Nothing much else going on here. My former colleague from the college posted a picture of my former office, on FB, they came in a stripped the place of furniture, so the " leftovers " Are left are scattered all over the place. Sad, the era at the college is really over!

Have a great day, folks!

EnumclawGramma
May 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Good Morning. After a cold rainy day yesterday I'm thinkin' the sun's going to make an appearance today! Yay for sunny days! (hope hope)
Blondie I lived in Kansas for a year and we had cicadas. They hung out mostly in our Mimosa tree in the front yard and my parents LOVED their "song". I was totally ok with it, as long as they stayed in that tree. My come to Jesus moment was when a boy on the school bus had one that he threw and it landed ON MY SHOULDER! Yeeeeeeeesh! Yeah, so....cicadas and me...not so much!

I got a good start on a couple of table runners I'm making for our picnic table this year. Just bought a new one and I've been staining it getting it ready for a big party we have planned for my son Josh in July. Lots to do around here. We always work best "under pressure" so I try to plan at least one big get together every year. Hoping to have some live music this time. Should be fun. I once did a birthday party for my granddaughters (who are two weeks apart) and I had clowns and pony rides. Broke my toe hanging balloons as the first guest arrived, hoping to do better this time!
You all are so inspiring with all the projects you've got going! My goodness what a busy bunch! I think Spring fever has officially hit!

That's it from my corner of the world for today. Gotta wake the DGD and get her headed in the direction of school. Long weekend coming up and the break will be nice. Even if only for a day!

Has anyone heard from Shirley in the past couple days?

Hugs and prayers to all who want/need. Make it a great day!!

Mary Ruth
May 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Cicadas: now there is a "blast from the past." I lived in extreme NE Tennessee for 10 years. One of those summers was devoted to wishing those darn cicadas would just SHUT-UP!!

At the time our pet was a cat named Mama. One afternoon I noticed that Mama was eating every cicada she could reach. In just a little while she came to the patio with her tummy almost touching the ground. In a panic, I called our vet. He had a hearty laugh and told me that the cicadas were a good high protein diet.

Sandy Navas
May 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone. There are several of our 'regulars' who haven't been making much of an appearance lately. But, as I can well testify, life gets in the way of having fun sometimes. There is never a dull moment around here and sometimes the sound of the freeway traffic is soothing - so cool temps and open windows and the hum of the 18-wheelers (about a mile or so away) . . .

Steffie - the only time I've heard a nightingale was when we visited Cyprus. We purposely went to a large outdoor restaurant late one night because the locals had told us about the nightingales - it was awesome! I'll send some cicadas if anyone wants to listen to them. That and some tree frogs (yuck).

Lunch out with the Big Bro and Lil Sis and our significant others today. My turn to hostess but I wasn't up to picking up dirty socks and smoothing the way - or even trying to reclaim MY kitchen. I worked last weekend and have so enjoyed the last several days off where I can get back in the sewing room. Playing catch-up with some projects - my 2013 swap at the top of the list, followed by some of the charity projects. Now DD wants a new diaper bag so I'll be searching for the right combination of fabrics and design. Also going to try to find some Madeline character themed fabric. Robert Kaufman has a line called Madeline but it doesn't show the character . . . that's going to be the name of the next DGD.

And so, in preparing my empty stomach for my favorite food (bbq ribs!!) I'll leave you and try to appease myself with my cuppa.

To those who are busy beyond belief, I wish you time and relaxation. To those who suffer in any way, shape or form, I wish you peace and healing. To those who find themselves financially strapped, I wish you a winning lottery ticket (and don't forget who wished for that for you . . . just saying). May this day bring nothing but better news and calm. Oh, and as Blondie tells us:
http://thelivingtruthfellowship.org/jtltf/images/newsletters/smile.jpg

If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/andyrooney162017.html)
Andy Rooney (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/andy_rooney.html)

Tanya D
May 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Good morning and happy Thursday to all!

It's a cool, cloudy morning in my neck of the woods. We are under a heavy rainfall warning with high winds expected by noon. I'm sipping on a hot chocolate and have my heater under my desk blasting some hot air on my feet.

I'm looking forward to a visit from my mom and dad tonight. They were in Florida for 10 days and they are coming over with a few things for all of us. It's been a couple of weeks since I've seen them so the visit will be nice.

I hope everyone has a great day!

WendyI
May 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Morning all...yep, I'm actually getting in here while it's still morning! Feeling down and in pain again today...these rain storms are certainly not helping things. Work is also still painfully slow, which makes for very long days so in spite of my having two days off this week, the week still seems long!

We are planning on doing some camping this weekend. Not going far at all though...just a wee place on the outskirts of town to do a test run and make sure all systems are go! No mice in our trailer this year thank goodness! But have to replace a few things they did ruin, like our awesome toaster. Wee buggers!

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day....thinking of Lisapc today and hoping all is well!!

dwil23
May 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Good Morning, all. I got off work at 5 ish to start my one day weekend. Yay. Came home and slept a little bit and now got to get up and get going to make the most of my day off. Myrna, I do envy you, Congrats! I have not had the news on so I am oblivious to what is happening in London. Maybe that's a good thing:(. I went to my friend's house yesterday to sew a little. While there got a call from my sister in law. Her precious kitty, Sarah lost her battle to cancer. June is beside herself. I spent an hour and a half on the phone trying to comfort her, please say a little prayer for her. June is alone and Sarah was her world. My friend and I plan to meet at Joann in the morning for some supplies and then on to her house, hopefully to at least finish the little project I started for DIL and really hopeful that I can finish assembling my COC quilt top and get it off to Miss Blondie.

Also, a big congrats and Thank You to Shermur for adopting that beautiful little rescue bullie!!!! She is gorgeous and I can just tell that she is so sweet. I drove DD to the pound yesterday to pick up a black and white male that is just gorgeous, too.
Here's a link to his webpage:
http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=19944552&css=http://sms.petpoint.com/WebServices/adoptablesearch/css/styles.css&PopUp=true

Hope you all have a great day!

CrazyMtnLady
May 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Good morning all. I can't believe I slept until after 9am this morning. Got up started the coffee, fed the cats and horse and mule. Now I just want to go back to bed.

My allergies are in high gear. My face is swollen and my right eye almost closed. So not much going on for me today. We are going to get the hay today and stop by and pick up the old laptop...Yippee..

Have a great day
hugs and prayers to all.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
May 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Mornin' all.......hope everyone has a great day! It just makes my day to read Blondie's post every morning! Makes me :icon_bigsmile: and sometimes chuckle a little. But all of you really brighten my day sooooo.......thanks for that! Have a great day!

jsmetcalf
May 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Good morning everyone! Well, it's actually getting along to afternoon though I have been busy enough today already that it feels like it should be time to start planning dinner! Blondie's cicada story reminded me of something funny. Last week my DH had to return to Kentucky to check on his mom (broke her hip 2 months ago) and as we were standing in the driveway saying goodbye he said, "Hey, by the way, look over at the roofs of the chicken coops. See all that stuff up there?" I saw what he was talking about and asked what it was. He told me that they were cicada shells and that I should look on the tree trunks where I would find the actual bugs. He then said as seriously as could be - "Judy, you should go collect them because the chickens love them. It's not hard...they won't fight you...just pick them up by the wings!" He then proceeded to walk over, pick one off a tree, and give it to a chicken who promptly ate it! I looked at him with that look we give to someone who has just said something absolutely bizarre and said, "Do you really expect me to do that????" He smiled and said, "Well, I guess there's truth to those aprons you have hanging in the kitchen..."Country Boy, City Girl." Yep, he's right!!!

I went to JoAnn's last night and picked up a couple of spools of embroidery thread so I'm going to put that little butterfly onto my GD's quilt today - then maybe I can get it sandwiched and start quilting. With the weather threatening yet again today, there's no hope of working outside, not that that's high on my list of favorite things to do anyway. Love my chickens...hate to weed whack!

Have a great day!

Mpyles
May 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Good morning!

I slept in as well this morning, stayed up late doing some cutting on a club project.

Myrna, how exciting!! I dream of the day I no longer have to trudge to work. Monique, enjoy your retreat!! Barb, that is awfully early to pop out of bed!! Trisha, corporate has no clue as to what really goes on in a store...I often say the people making the decisions should be the ones who actually execute the business. Frustrating I know! Blondie enjoy your day, praying all goes well with mom today. Steffie, I don't know that I have ever heard a nightingale before. Rebecca glad to hear you aren't near the craziness of yesterday. Sounds like you and your sister tore up the area!! Sandy enjoy your luncheon! I often go months without seeing some of my siblings and it makes me sad. Wendy...I am right there with you on the pain. Seems like there is a new one every day. Enjoy your camping trip! May..I hate to shop as well! Jean, sad how times change some things isn't it! Good to know your job is going well...I am sure they are not gonna want to give you up!

I am off today, gonna take the truck in for an oil change. Then prolly come back here and piddle around the sewing room. DS helped me clean last night so I wouldn't have to spend my day off doing it. Need to do a couple loads of laundry..but other than that...the day is mine!! Dd took on a second job to help her savings for college, she is still waiting on her daddy's decision. Poor girl..dads in...he is just being a butt about it. We, hubby and I are on a diet of sorts..I need to drop about 35 lbs so gonna try to not be a bad girl today!

Everyone have a great day!!

Madeforyouinma11
May 23rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Afternoon all! I have been sitting here doing some reading and relaxing with my cup of coffee. Today should be more painting but I need to get 8 pillows made for a friend of mine from her dads shirts, (thanks Trish for the idea). She also wants me to embroider on the pockets so that is going to take more time. Hoping to get them completed today or alt least almost so I can get them to her Saturday and then get back to my painting. I also have some outside work to do..hoping to steal a few hours tomorrow for that..
well, I'm off. Hoping everyone has a wonderful day! Hugs and prayers to aall thought this might bring a smile to some faces today..

bakermom
May 23rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Oh my, blondie, that sounds a bit like my son. not really a picky eater though, he just never wanted to know what was in his food. now as an adult he is an excellent cook. For any special occasion he will ask his wife to go through his cookbooks and pick out what she wants. He then proceeds to make whatever she picks out(and it turns our great).

This will be a looong day for me. first off to DS and DIL's to watch GD while mama goes to an appointment, then off to do mom's supper.Afterwards a meeting then straight to work. No nap or downtime for me today. I did finish sewing the strips on the falling star blocks, sorted out some fabric to make a special quilt for new GS and have a pattern picked out. I have a lot made ahead and let DD and SIL pick out what they wanted before baby came and said I would make a special one once we knew boy or girl.