PDA

View Full Version : Getting old......feeling a bit down......

Klasien
May 23rd, 2013, 04:51 AM
For the last couple of years my knees were getting very painful, I wanted to go to see the doctor many times, but I was affraid what he might say........
But the pain got worse and worse, and I came to the point that it was just to much, so I went to see the doctor last thuesday, he send me to the hospital to take x-rays and this morning I've got the results........osteoarthritis
I was affraid of that, and I also noticed that my sholder was hurting every now and then, my fingers, my hip, my elbow.........
Yesterday I made that babyquilt and the whole evening I was in so much pain (my right knee that you use for the pedal is the worse).......being a hairdresser and that way being on my feet all day does not help either.....
I am only 51 :(

Feeling a little sad right now, home alone no one to talk to....so you guys get the sad Klasien........

My eyes are getting a little better, a scan is plannend early July, but now I have a whole new thing coming with this diagnose of osteoarthritis..........

My doctor will call me tomorrow, and we will talk about the future and what to do about the pain, that is killing me from time to time......I can't sleep at night because my legs hurt so much........ I know it is part of getting older that some parts of our bodies don't work as well as they use to do......but I am still so "young".........

Sorry for going on and on, but needed to get it of my chest!

Thanks for reading my long and not to happy post, and I hope you all have a great day!!

bkthomas
May 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
Dear Klasien, I can truly sympathize. Ten years ago I lost my job, then I lost my apartment - finally 3 years ago I had both hips replaced, first one and several months later the other one. Doing much better now, thankfully. They say the knees are a bit more difficult than the hips though. You will be in my prayers that your Dr. can help you. Sorry you are going through this.....

Poppytree
May 23rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
Sorry you are in so much pain - joints can be such a problem as we get older and my husband and I both have osteoarthritis. He has pain in both knees (worse in damp or cold weather) but responds well to Panadol Osteo/Glucosomine and fish oils + anti-inflammatory tablets from the doctor when they get really bad.

I'm very lucky as I don't get severe pain - just the odd twinge. The Aussie climate and yoga have both helped my mobility and, apart from a slight limp, my knees are much better than the scans/X-rays would suggest.

Hope you get suitable treatment and pain relief soon

Bubby
May 23rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
I'm sorry you are having so much pain. My Hubby has really bad osteo everywhere in his body. There are a lot of medications that will help you, it's a matter of finding the right one (or combination). I had to stop hand quilting due to arthritis in my right hand. You have a lot of wonderful years (and quilts) ahead of you...I'm sure the doctor knows how to help you. Here's a hug for now...((((((((HUG)))))))....Barb

Cathy F
May 23rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Klasien, I hope you find some relief soon for your pain. I can sympathize with you as I have been having similar joint pains and find sleeping difficult as laying for long periods of time in one position makes my joints ache. My Dr did give me an anti inflammatory which I take when I've done too much and the pain flares up. I'm amazed at how well it works.

Blondie
May 23rd, 2013, 07:06 AM
I feel your pain. Prayers for you! And huge arthritic hugs from me to you.

Loonwatcher
May 23rd, 2013, 07:24 AM
So sorry you have to go thru this. I hope the doc will be able to help you. My DH needs a knee replacement but they don't want to do it until he is older (58 now) but he is scheduled for knee surgery on June 3rd for a torn meniscus. For me, every time I've had an X-ray for one thing or another (knee, ankles, shoulder and back) it shows the arthritis present. Cold damp weather makes it worse. Several years ago I had to give up rock climbing (mostly in a gym) because of it in my hands. Basically, getting old sucks!

I hope you get some relief soon.

toggpine
May 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM
If you can find it try some of the Two Old Goats lotion. Someone posted here about it a while ago. I saw a bottle in the farm & feed store, so I thought I'd try some. I wanna 55 gallon barrel of it to just dip myself in! I have achy hands, knees, etc. I can't take too much ibuprofen as it tears me up internally. This stuff has allowed me to get to sleep without the aches & pains. My husband swiped the bottle, so now I'm going to have to order more.
It doesn't smell horrible, kind of herbal-minty and it's not greasy. (A quilter developed it, so she could still handle her fabrics after she applied it.)
Good luck with your diagnosis. I hope that either this, or some medicine from the doctor will help.

quilter.martha
May 23rd, 2013, 07:36 AM
So sorry, Klaisen. You are 2 years younger than me, so I understand your depression about new aches and pains. I pray medication and the right exercises will help you tremendously. And, if you don't have anyone else to talk to, please by all means, come to us! We all love you!

Evilynn
May 23rd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Sorry you are in pain, Klasien! I hope you will find medication, or a combination of medication, that will help you. And next time, don't be afraid what the doctor will diagnose, that way they can help you earlier! :) Many hugs,

Steffie

MayinJerset
May 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Oh, hope doctor gives you something so you can sleep better and make the pain less. My arthritis is mostly in my knees, although one elbow and one hand flair up every once in awhile. I usually take 2 Advils as I have more discomfort than pain but this week I have been taking the anti inflammatory meds as the damp weather has my knees hurting My biggest problem is mobility as it affects my walking and lately standing for too long. Ah, sometimes the Golden Years

MRoy
May 23rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Klasien, I'm so sorry you're in pain. I hope the dr can give you something that will help you feel better. (((((HUGS)))))

Monique
May 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
I hope you get some kind of relief soon. Yes, it sucks to get older while we are still spring chickens.

pcbatiks
May 23rd, 2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Klasien, Sorry to hear that you have been in pain. Hoping the doctor can give you some helpful info and/or medicine. Ask the doctor what type of exercises would help ease the pain. You are in my prayers. It sounds like it might be a good day for some of your comfort food.......Mac and Cheese! :)

rebeccas-sewing
May 23rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Sorry to hear you're having such discomfort. Glad you went to see the doctor about it. Hopefully, you can get some help to relieve the symptoms.

Mom23
May 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Awwww Klasien, I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain and got the diagnosis you don't want. But, from the sounds of other peoples posts, it sounds like you will find comfort from medication. My first thought when I started reading your post was "I hope she can still come to America in October". Get your meds regulated so you are healthy enough to travel!!

My son is in Dublin this weekend but will be back in The Netherlands for one more week Sunday. He is enjoying his time there, just a little cooler than he expected. He will be at a tour of a Flower Auction (Plantion) and Amsterdam next week.

Quiltlover
May 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
So sorry that you are having this pain..so many of us do. And I am having the difficulty sleeping lately also. And I have one knee that lately has decided to swell and ache..probably just arthritis too. As others have said there are some great meds out there. Just talk to your doc and find the right one. Some take Cymbalta and have great results...it is an antidrepressant and is said to be great for your type of pain. You have lots of company, so don't be down. We literally share your pain.
Brenda in Bama

Jean Sewing Machine
May 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
It's hard as we age, but as my 80+ year old neighbor says, "Any day I wake up above ground is a good day!" Sorry for your miseries. I have sciatic pain in my left hip, so I guess your misery has company. Hope you feel better soon!

GrammaBabs
May 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Well K.... (and Jean,,, that must be really awful,, i've had that as well)...I feel for ya' big time... I had the pains off and on, but when the huge swelling came along.. i had some bloodwork done, and they found i had developed RA (Rheumatoid sp?)... it's a good and a bad thing... yes, i have osteo,, that i find i deal with,, and having the pools here all year and a hot tub is the best... but ICE and HEAT, whichever gives the most relief is wonderful..I only take the Arth. strength tylenol (generic brand), when i need to ... and yes, a glass or two of red wine is FABULOUS!!!! You know i had the hip done and i'll do the other when needed..
It's funny,, but at the quilt expo.. i met so many girls my "ageish" with canes, etc... i chatted with some and we all said... why is it, that some people get around like a jack rabbit forever and then there's US,, with the joint issues!!!! But that's what makes the world go round i guess... You've STOOD ON YOUR FEET for a living right.. there's you answer.. i did as well, and then come home.. make meals, laundry, kids... sitting was not the job..and the joints begin to complain... Here's my trick... what i have is not going to kill me... so many other diagnosis i DON'T wish to get...I'll take this one...
Just know you've got a GF here "hearing alll you say" and shaking her head... YEP... but thinking of you a lot!!!
ps... get the bloodwork for the RA,, just to rule it out... i havea "cocktail of pills" i take weekly that keep any flares down,,, it's a whole different kind of pain, but glad it's under control!!
Aging "ain't for sissys".....:)

WendyI
May 23rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Oh Klaisen I'm so sad to read this because I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. At 47 this has been a very tough pill for me to swallow as well. I am off to the doc soon to get my pain figured out so I have no advice to offer you. I'm in the same place you are right now...pain but no relief in sight for a while. ((((((HUGS))))))) I know how awful you feel right now. Hoping your doc can help you!

New York Sue
May 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
It SUCKS to get old, I'm not a fan. My DH ended up with total joint replacement in both knees and is like a NEW man. He still has his aches and pains, but NOTHING like before. Steroid injections held for a couple of rounds, but with little cartilage left, the writing was on the wall...
My only regret was that we waited as long as we did. I'm not sure he would say the same, but his mobility is SO much better! Comparing BEFORE to AFTER, I'd take the AFTER in a NY minute!
So many options today, Klasien. I hope you find the right doc. And if it ever comes down to joint replacement, you want the guy that does 10-15 per week. Not 10-15 a month...Can't stress this enough. Do your research!
And feel better soon, chica!

dwil23
May 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with Sue, it does suck to get old. My Dad used to always say "It's hell getting old - you'll see" and of course, he was right as usual.

I had my left knee replaced last year after suffering a year and a half. I had a scope done and lots of therapy a year prior to that. I've accepted the fact that my knee will never be "good as new", but it is better than it was. I also have arthritis and carpal tunnel that makes hand work excruciating for me - I can hardly grip the needle and then continually drop it when I do. I really need to have the surgery to repair that in both hands.

(((HUGS)))

SallyO'Sews
May 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Oh, Klasien, so sorry you are in pain. I am praying for you that all the medical folks will agree on a quick and lasting solution, whether medical or surgical!
Blessings and gentle hugs,
~ Sally \0/

alliek
May 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Klaisen, there are many meds and supplements that help osteoarthritis. Ask your doc if heat is OK as well, this helps me and my mom. We live with it and push forward. I know you are feeling that you are leaving your youth behind and getting "old". Do not let that overtake you! Being young in mind and heart is in everyone's capability. We have to choose it. Prayers for the right path for you.:icon_wave:

bakermom
May 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Sorry Klasien! I too feel your pain(quite literally) Something is always hurting on me. hope the Drs. can give you some relief from yours

Jackiegross
May 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Sweetie, Last summer I had a total knee replacement due to the arthritis in it and the other knee isn't doing great, not bad, but not great....I have had the shots in the knee and with the surgery over I am so thankful...I feel 10 years younger. you email me anytime you need to. Last year walking with a cane (I work in a middle school) and now moving as fast as the kids without the cane.

you will be in my prayers.

Jackie

cyndiofthevortex
May 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you are in pain, Klasien. May God guide the doctor to help you. May you be able to rest. I know there are no words to say to take your pain away, but know that I am thinking of you and praying for you.

MayinJerset
May 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
GrammaBabs said, "why is it, that some people get around like a jack rabbit forever and then there's US,, with the joint issues!!!! But that's what makes the world go round i guess..." and I so agree. Even though I was never a jack rabbit I got around pretty good for 70 years so I guess I have to count myself lucky that arthritis began much later for me that for some of the gals here. I also see more gals using canes at the shows, guess we make it our business to get around to the fun things even if we have to walk much slower, more time to enjoy the quilts on display.

Tanya D
May 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so down and blue Klasien. I hope the doctor can find you some meds to alleviate your pain and uncomfortableness.

Kendra Long
May 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Sending prayers that your spirit will be lifted! It's nice to be able to have a community to come to when life gets us down!

Klasien
May 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks so much ladies!!!!!

You all made me feel so much better, the pain is still there, but my mind went on "smile-modus" after reading all the sweet and loving messages!

((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))))))))

Lenie
June 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Klasien, ik had deze gemist, maar zag net je berichtje op FB, en dacht "even kijken op het forum wat er aan de hand is. Tjee, meid, dat klinkt allemaal niet zo lekker. Ik hoop maar dat er met medicatie een hoop voor je gedaan kan worden. Je bent inderdaad nog zo jong. Goed van je dat je ondanks alles erin slaagt om positief te blijven de meeste tijd, dat valt niet altijd mee.
Hugs, Lenie

Mary-Louise
June 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Klasien, I am so sorry you are in such pain.

I am just starting the whole osteoarthritis part of life, too. (I am 57.) So far over-the-counter pain relievers work for me, but surely your physician can find the even the one (or the right combination) that eases your suffering. I also have sciatica (which is nerve, not joint). When it is untreated, literally all I can do is sit and cry from the pain. However, so far gabapentin takes care of it. The dosage does have to be increased every year or so to relieve all of the pain, but the increased dosage is successful. I hope you will be in a medication situation as good or better than mine soon.

I don't know if this would be acceptable where you work, but, when I stand for a long time (say, cooking a holiday dinner), my back will start to hurt. We have a high stool upon which I can sit and continue most of the chopping and cooking sitting down. Just that little break from standing helps immensely. Do you think sitting on a high stool at work at least part of the time would help you? It might work if your customer is in a chair that swivels.

Also, one of my elderly neighbors (or elderly compared to us) has had her knee replaced. She gets down on her knees to garden and goes for long walks with her husband now. So, if you do need surgery, it can improve your quality of life tremendously. She did all her physical therapy after her surgery and was definitely rewarded by the hard work. My husband's uncle (when he was in is 60s) had his knee replaced, and he was up and walking without any assistance (even a walker or a crutch) by the next day.

I wish you the best of luck in finding relief from your pain soon.

Mary-Louise

Mpyles
June 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
So sorry Klasien ! I can sympathize, I have worked on my feet on concrete floors for the last 34 years...my knees scream at me at times. Lately my elbows and fingers have been hurting. It sucks and I am sure age and career related. Keep me posted on your progress. Hugs!

auntiemern
June 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
So sorry you are in so much discomfort. It is ok to be sad at your body behaving badly, There are a lot of meds out there though tthat can ease your pain, and make it easier for you to function without so much pain. Being in constant pain is enough to make any one sad. Believe me I know. Big hugs and prayers that you get some relief. ((((Klasien))))

grammakim04
June 7th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Sending you huge hugs. I was diagnosed 8 yrs ago (Now 51) and it's been a struggle, but work with a Chronic Pain Clinic and they have been wonderful...learning relaxation exercises, found great medications to use, physio exercises etc. Best advise I can give you is be your "own advocate"..educate yourself and stand up for yourself!!! Do not let the medical system push you around...alot is happening in the world of osteoarthritis and knee replacements. I wish I did 8 yrs ago...my knees would not be in the mess they are in now....too long of a story too go into on here.

auntiemern
June 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Oh honey, you aren't old. Age has nothing to do with this. I was in my 30's when first diagnosed with RA, lupus and fibro. If you are able to I would go to a rheumatologist, as they specialize in these ailments. Much better at treating this than family doc or orthopedic doc. Prayers continuing for a positive outcome. Smile and try not to worry. And remember, ibuprofen is our friend, until you can get stronger anti inflamatory's.

WVGranny
June 8th, 2013, 03:02 PM
You are very young, find someone who specializes in arthritis. My husband was 40 when he was first diagnosed with RA and there are so many new drugs on the market to slow things down and ease the swelling and pain

Marebear
June 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry you are in pain and hope you feel better!
I have osteoarthritis too, and finally went to see the bone doctor this week. I could hardly walk, with knives in both knees. They did a bunch of x rays and I have lost bone on both of my knees. The fabulous thing was that he gave me cortisone shots, one in each knee, and as I write I am pretty much pain free in my knees. It is so incredible to me!! Maybe this would be a choice for you too. The doc says it last from 3-6 months.

rebeccas-sewing
June 8th, 2013, 03:26 PM
At least now you know what the problem is. The doctor will give you medication to relieve your discomfort. Feel better soon, Klasien. Yes, growing old is a b***ch but as Joe says, "Well Rebecca, you know what the alternative is!" Cheer up! Just remember there is always someone who has it a lot worse off than you. When I start feeling sorry for myself I try to remember this. I think you need to go buy a yard of fabric to cheer you up! A trip to the fabric store always brightens my day.