PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Morning HUGS

Blondie
May 21st, 2013, 06:07 AM

Hello Folksies

I know that each one here has been affected by all the tornadic activity the past several days - seems like there are more on the way. How glib to say that this is that time of year, and oh, people get used to them. What? For each person on this forum who lives in the alley way of this activity, know you have someone extra saying a prayer. We don't get them often here where I live. Thank goodness. Whenever we do, it is quite frightening.

I cannot fathom what I am seeing and hearing from Oklahoma. I had the tv on FOX news and it was non stop from the time the tornado formed, etc. Because I don't know what to say in the face of such a disaster, I choose to retreat into my prayer closet. I would like to challenge any and all here to make a quilt or two. There will be someone who will be able to give them out when everything settles. I know that you will be praying.

At times like these when words cannot express, the next best thing to praying is giving someone a hug. I used to tell my kids when they were little that arms are the best thing to have around you. I kept telling Luscious last night, I need a hug. Hugs can convey thoughts and emotions that say more than words. I found this article online and it is not an overly long read: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5756/10-Reasons-Why-We-Need-at-Least-8-Hugs-a-Day.html

Hugs to each one here, prayers for all, and if we were all in one room, imagine what that group hug would look and feel like. That will bring a smile to your face.

MRoy
May 21st, 2013, 08:07 AM
Seeing the devastation on TV and knowing that so many died, including children in school, brings me to tears this morning. It's heartbreaking. I'm praying for everyone affected by these terrible storms. There are more storms forecasted for that area of Oklahoma.

Mpyles
May 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Good morning,

Such a sad thing, all the devastation. Hugs are good. Prayers for all involved.

rebeccas-sewing
May 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM
Now I know why I'm a hugger! Prayers for those who are and have been affected by nature's wrath!

dwil23
May 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
I haven't brought myself to look at the images yet. My son said yesterday that he had to turn it off - and he can look at just about anything. He said when they started talking about two young children that died and the elementary school, he just couldn't watch anymore. Being a new father, (and former Oklahoman in College) it just hit too close to home. He was in northeast OK - in '99 when Moore was hit the first time. I remember the panic when I heard about that and wasn't sure where it happened in relation to where Steve was, and 14 years ago, we weren't able to get information as quickly as today - especially at work. I pray for those parents who have lost their precious children and even more so for those who just don't know yet. How heart wrenching and terrifying the wait must be.

Group (((hug))) to all and prayers that everyone stays safe today. Give your kids an extra hug today, too.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Storms are so scary especially when they hit right when school is about to let out. As a former elementary school principal, I worried about the best place for our kids in case of storms. The Moore tornado struck just at the wrong time. Kids could have been walking home from school when it hit. It is a devastating thought to think the kids couldn't find a safe place. I am so saddened by this tragedy, prayers and hugs to all families who have lost loved ones and their homes.

CrazyMtnLady
May 21st, 2013, 09:38 AM
Good Morning. Prayers have been said for all those affected by the storms. We did not have any real bad storms here but we did have a lot of thunder and lightening and we lost power for quite a while last night. I was sleeping, but DH got up and lit utility candles so we could see if we had to get up and go to the bathroom..."heckfireshoot"...ain't he sweet!..... I will have to reset the clocks after he wakes up. We are in for some bad weather today.

Watching the devastation on TV, it just seems unimaginable, but DH went to Joplin to volunteer and he said the images he saw of Oklahoma were what he saw in Joplin.

Please stay safe everyone.
Hugs and prayers to all in need.

Mom23
May 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
Good Morning to All,

Today, let us all thank the almighty one for what we have, and pray for those suffering loss. My heart is hurting today for all involved in any way. I think I will just watch some old movies and sew today. I can't bear the thought of listening to all the devastating stories. Blondie, I like the thought of all of us being in one big room. It's the one thing that makes me smile this morning!

Swedish leo
May 21st, 2013, 09:43 AM
How horrible. I have a hard time to grasp this.

Lots of hugs and loving thoughts for all.

I will dig in to my scraps and see if I can make a quilt or two.

Blondie When you know where to send them, could you let me know ?

Annika

grannyann
May 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
My sincere thoughts and prayers for all who are suffering from the storm in Ok. May God comfort and heal all affected.

MayinJerset
May 21st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Like some of the others I can't bear to watch any more on tv. I will gather some fabrics for a quilt or two because they will be needed later on. I know we will find someone or some group who will be able to give them where they are needed. May

Mrs.Sew&Sew
May 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM
I am praying for those affected. I know they truly cannot believe there is a loving God out there that cares for them. But, I know he does. Hope everyone has a great day. :)

aliaslaceygreen
May 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
Good morning... it is just too much to look at, isn't it? I have been in one tornado,--a baby one in reality and I was freaked out! I can't even fathom a tornado of 2 miles width and 40 minutes length....

Things like this make me look around my house, and at all the STUFF I own, and just wonder why? Why do we get so attached to things? We obsess over buying and owning and making things look just so, and then----------

it can all be gone. All of it.

I hope that everyone's 6 degrees of separation stays free and clear of knowing anyone who suffered too much...

I have a lot of piddling things to do today, and then I must find time to QUILT!

Sandy Navas
May 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y3iYSB2rkLE/UDeV57qx8mI/AAAAAAAACfU/xohGm1RWfLw/s1600/group+hug.jpg

Sandy Navas
May 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM
Perhaps my above sarcasm doesn't seem appropriate today . . . sorry!

Thoughts though: As mentioned in another thread about the devastation in OK and the wish to send quilts, our local quilt guild was told after Joplin's disaster, NOT to send quilts as they needed food, water and other creature comforts more. And, as Marilyn stated in that thread, most of the quilts were 'thrown by the wayside' and the victims never saw them - they wound up in thrift stores hither and yon . . . just a suggestion.

Carolyn23
May 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have been in tears since last evening. Just can't imagine the horror many parents are dealing with today. Had to turn off the news because it became unbearable last night. Makes you realize how truly petty our "everyday" problems are. Just praying, praying, praying.

lilmouse
May 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Will continue prayer, hope they find more people alive today and that there is no more loss of life due to these nasty storms....I am just heart sick over what has happened in OK.

WendyI
May 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
too tragic for words. My heart is broken for the families who lost loved ones, particularly the children. Nature is a force to be reckoned with to be sure. I don't understand why they didn't know this was coming and so many people were caught unawares?! I know there are warnings but obviously they didn't come soon enough. So sad today.

toggpine
May 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM
So far all of our family is safe. My half sister lives in/near OKC. Her brother-in-law lost his home. He and his family were not there at the time, so that is a blessing. The rest of the OK family is farther northeast and missed this one.

From what I know from working with the emergency management folks, cash is the most needed item. It seems a little cold compared to a quilt, but you can't eat or drink a quilt. There may be a guild that will put something together a little later, but the most immediate need is for dollars.

Prayers for a quiet weather day and healing for those affected.

bakermom
May 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
can't begin to imagine those folks went thru. I watched news for about 2 hours when i came home this morning, praying the whole time. The people affected and the rescue workers will need our support for a long long time.

debinmalaga
May 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM
So sad about this. My brother lives in Oklahoma City, so I am still fearful that the next activity will affect him. Also, he has a 7 year old son, and I wonder how the little survivors will ever feel safe again, after following the rules and seeking shelter did not save them all. Very sad day today and hugs are certainly the best prescription for that.

aliaslaceygreen
May 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM
Someone posted this on Facebook... group puppy dog hugs too!!!!

http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/tornado-survivor-finds-dog-during-tv-interview

K. McEuen
May 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM
too tragic for words. My heart is broken for the families who lost loved ones, particularly the children. Nature is a force to be reckoned with to be sure. I don't understand why they didn't know this was coming and so many people were caught unawares?! I know there are warnings but obviously they didn't come soon enough. So sad today.

Tornadoes are at best unpredictable. The sirens don't go off until one is sighted in the area. People are told when conditions are right for one forming, but there is no way of giving notice of one like there is with a hurricane. Tornadoes can form and hit in a matter of minutes. The weather service does the best it can in the situation. I grew up in tornado alley, stood watching them outside as they tore through a mattress store across the street. The one thing I've noticed is that in the past few years that the "mega-storms" are on the rise. They never used to be this big or this powerful. Gives some thought to the whole global warming theory. Something is going on because nature is fighting back a lot harder.

Even as a kid, I was taught that if I was outside when a tornado was coming to find a low lying area, a shallow ditch or something like that to lay down in to ride the storm out. In the house you went to an interior room or closet with no windows, so the closet, bathroom or hallway in our house.

auntiemern
May 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
So very sad. Have had the in my prayers since I heard. It is so scary to live in a place where tornado's hit in the spring. Whatever I can do to help, I will do. My heart is breaking for all those people, and especially for the parents of the children.

janluna
May 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
I've pulled out 2 jelly roll quilts that I haven't finished. I'll be finishing them now. I also have a charm pack quilt to put together. The JRR ones only need borders and binding and quilting. So, I'll be in my sewing room. Prayers are being said here as well. My heart is breaking for those poor people. God Bless them all.
Since the area has been hit 3 times, I'd be moving as far away as possible. Preferably, as far north as I could get. Canada, maybe. Near the Arctic. I just couldn't go through that after rebuilding twice, this one would be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's just to sad. Prayers and Hugs, Jan L.

Monique
May 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
I am now back home safe and sound. I did pick up my magnolia tree this morning. I have wanted one for so long. I am a little tired and may need a nap in a bit. I had a magnificent weekend with the kids. We sure stayed busy. I am glad to be home and now will get things unpacked. I will catch up with you all later.

Prayers going out to those in the path of those vicious storms.

Blondie
May 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Annika, of course I will post as soon as I know. Many blessings to you.
Blondie

How horrible. I have a hard time to grasp this.

Lots of hugs and loving thoughts for all.

I will dig in to my scraps and see if I can make a quilt or two.

Blondie When you know where to send them, could you let me know ?

Annika

Blondie
May 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM
I had forgotten about that Sandy. Hmmm. I will be thinking of something to do.
THANKS!

Perhaps my above sarcasm doesn't seem appropriate today . . . sorry!

Thoughts though: As mentioned in another thread about the devastation in OK and the wish to send quilts, our local quilt guild was told after Joplin's disaster, NOT to send quilts as they needed food, water and other creature comforts more. And, as Marilyn stated in that thread, most of the quilts were 'thrown by the wayside' and the victims never saw them - they wound up in thrift stores hither and yon . . . just a suggestion.

BellasQuilts
May 21st, 2013, 10:20 PM
Donations to the red cross go a long way. This gives them the funds to buy what each family needs at that moment: hotel room, clothes, food, etc. Perhaps make a quilt and then raffle it off in your area to raise the funds might be a good thing to do. Just my two cents here.

mothershort
May 22nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
I have a question. Do you get bored with the tv's 24 x7 tornado news? I live about 5 miles no.of the Moore tornado in So Oklahoma City. I live here and was here in the path of the "99 destruction.In "99 it would have been nice to hear about it but we were without electricity. I just wonder if you all get tired of the repetition of the media.

One more thing it would be nice if they waited till the stories were gotten straight. The latest body count is 24 have died, not 90. Thanks for being patient with my rant.

Ginny B
May 22nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
It is such a heartbreaking sight. Of course, any loss of life is hard to hear about but when children are involved it is all that much worse. It is hard to know what to do but I do think that funds are what are needed most to get supplies, food, etc. to those in need. Being quilters and knowing how comforting a quilt can be, we naturally think of wrapping all those affected up in one. But I do think that at this point giving to whatever relief group you feel comfortable with is the best thing to do. Maybe later on down the road when people are settling in someplace and they are probably focusing on things like furniture, appliances and dishes and other basics of everyday life, a quilt or two would be a wonderful thing to receive.

Ginny B

bakermom
May 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
I agree with you about getting the facts straight. Yesterday I woke up to"67 dead, 20 of them children"which just made me feel sick. i came downstairs and got on the computer and it was much, much less.(they had miscounted or counted twice)

We were just talking about this at work. The 3 kidnapped women that were found alive after so many years a few weeks ago happened in this area. while we were all so happy they were found alive, the news media beat the story to death. Just report the news and let people heal.

Sandy Navas
May 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
I have a question. Do you get bored with the tv's 24 x7 tornado news? I live about 5 miles no.of the Moore tornado in So Oklahoma City. I live here and was here in the path of the "99 destruction.In "99 it would have been nice to hear about it but we were without electricity. I just wonder if you all get tired of the repetition of the media.

One more thing it would be nice if they waited till the stories were gotten straight. The latest body count is 24 have died, not 90. Thanks for being patient with my rant.

I am so glad to see that someone feels like I do - it seems whenever there is any type of tragedy the media tends to exploit the victims, regardless of the happenings - they prey on those who are suffering the most and relentlessly pursue the 'story' and if they can't find someone to talk about it directly they make it up just to be in the headlines. Makes me sick!!

I love Bella's idea (thanks, Megan) and a fund raiser would be wonderful.