PDA

View Full Version : Washing old burlap sacks

Auntpiggylpn
May 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'm getting some old burlap sacks and they are the kind that coffee, oats, feed, etc came in. I know that I will need to wash them to clean out any remnants that may be in them and to soften them. I want to make reusable grocery bags out of them. I found conflicting opinions on Google about washing them in a washing machine. Hoping someone has washed one and give me their experience on it and any tips. Thanks!

Claire Hallman
May 20th, 2013, 01:13 PM
All burlap is not created equal. I would wash it outside in a bucket before using a washing machine. I have dealt with new burlap once and never again. It sheds lots of fibers and is stretchy and rough on your hands.

toggpine
May 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't put it in my washing machine!

Buckets or tubs outside would be my suggestion. Burlap can have an odd smell and I wouldn't want that and all of the odd fibers stuck in my machine. The agitation might not be really good for it either.

Good luck!

bubba
May 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I think I would turn them inside out and spray them with the garden hose. I would not put them in my washer either.

K. McEuen
May 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, I'm sitting here laughing at everyone saying "I wouldn't put them in my washer" and thinking "That's what laundromats are for!" Burlap doesn't wash real well. A hose or dipping in a bucket seems to work best.

Auntpiggylpn
May 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry, I'm sitting here laughing at everyone saying "I wouldn't put them in my washer" and thinking "That's what laundromats are for!" Burlap doesn't wash real well. A hose or dipping in a bucket seems to work best.

Oh, I wasn't going to put them in MY washing machine!!!! Definitely a Laundromat washer if it is feasible to wash them!!! I am also going to line them so the burlap wouldn't be supporting the entire weight of the bags' contents. I also had thought about serging all the edges before washing them. I'm not concerned with the bags weave shrinking up, I just want to get the smells out and soften them up a bit.

MartinaG
May 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM
And even after they are washed, they still smell funny. Will the sack be lined? I know I wouldn't want to handle the burlap as is.

Auntpiggylpn
May 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Oh, I wasn't going to put them in MY washing machine!!!! Definitely a Laundromat washer if it is feasible to wash them!!! I am also going to line them so the burlap wouldn't be supporting the entire weight of the bags' contents. I also had thought about serging all the edges before washing them. I'm not concerned with the bags weave shrinking up, I just want to get the smells out and soften them up a bit.

And even after they are washed, they still smell funny. Will the sack be lined? I know I wouldn't want to handle the burlap as is.
Yes, my post right above yours stated that I am planning on lining them. I will be using some vintage sheets. The straps will also be made from the vintage sheets.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM
And whose the lucky person who washes their underwear in the laundromat washer after you wash the burlap? They'll be scratching big time!

Definitely a hose ad bucket! Isn't burlap made from an oiled hemp?

I saw some printed burlap at Joanns last week when I was there, it's becoming a home dec fad!

toggpine
May 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM
And whose the lucky person who washes their underwear in the laundromat washer after you wash the burlap? They'll be scratching big time!

That was MY thought too! I have only had to wash sleeping bags at the laundromat, but I have wondered about what was in there before my load.

WVGranny
May 20th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Are they true burlap or are they feed sacks which are more like a canvas or duck cloth, if burlap hand wash only regular feed sacks can be machined on a gentle cycle

Hulamoon
May 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM
My Daughter and I went to a surf shop sale and they give out prizes. We won before, but this time it was the burlap shopping bags with their logo. Yuck. They smell awful. I'm crafty but they sell such cool bags here I said forget it. Plastic bags are banned here so I must have twenty recycle bags. I always forget them though. lol

nanaleslie
May 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
My Daughter and I went to a surf shop sale and they give out prizes. We won before, but this time it was the burlap shopping bags with their logo. Yuck. They smell awful. I'm crafty but they sell such cool bags here I said forget it. Plastic bags are banned here so I must have twenty recycle bags. I always forget them though. lol

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that forgets my grocery list and bags. LOL :)

yeeehawterri
May 20th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Oh that burlap smell. I purchased some to make something...can't even remember what for, but couldn't get the smell out and never used it for anything. Rough on the hands, also.