PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Husqvarna and JoAnns Terrible Service

HandsomeRyan
May 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM
A little background for those of you who aren't already familiar with my situation:
I decided late last year that I wanted to try quilting. I have about 10,000 other hobbies (blacksmithing, gardening, fiddle playing, backyard chicken keeping, etc.) so what is one more. My wife enthusiastically jumped on board as well so we started quilting together in early January. At the time we were using a little Brother machine I had bought years ago when I wanted to make some clothing. It actually works pretty good for an 8 year old machine that cost $100 brand new.

In February, with our first couple quilting projects being successful, we were at a local JoAnn's fabric store getting material for another project. I struck up a conversation with the Husqvarna rep there and she mentioned that they had a demo model Sapphire 835 for roughly 50% off the original price. The lid to the accessory tray was broken but they had ordered a new one which was on back order. I bought the machine and the lady took my information and assured me they would call when the part came in in a couple weeks. At that time I also enrolled in the H/V rewards points program with the understanding that I was getting credit for the sewing machine (and a walking foot) which were purchased that day.

A few weeks passed, then a few more with no phone calls about the replacement part. Finally, I went to the store and a different lady helped me. Buried in one of the drawers was the part with a rubber banded note with my name and phone number on it but no one ever called me to tell me.

Okay whatever, mistakes happen and now I've got my new piece as promised so we can all move on with our lives. Fast forward to today I stopped by again (getting flannel for the batting of my latest quilting project) and was interested in a Stitch in the ditch foot. I asked the lady (a third, different lady from either previous time) to check my points balance with their rewards program thinking surely I'd have at least a few dollars to put toward the purchase. She said I didn't have enough points for any credit. "How can that be?" I asked. "We spent over $800 here in February. How long do the points last before they expire?"

"I don't know" was her reply. Not "I'm not sure, let me find out for you". My wife sort of jumped in and asked why our points balance was not reflected in their computer system even though the computer screen clearly showed that they had a record of our purchase including the date and amount we paid. The lady simply said "You'd have to talk to a manager about that" then proceeded to turn around and answer the telephone. I put the foot back on the shelf and walked out.

I spent more money on this sewing machine than I spent on a car I once owned. I've also worked in customer service off and on for most of my working life. I can tell you that at no point was it _ever_ acceptable to answer a customer question about a product with a flat "I don't know". You should always at least make an effort to get that information for the customer even if it means asking someone else. I also feel that a dissatisfied customer physically in front of you is more important than a phone call. Get an answering machine and call whoever was on the phone back later.

I am very torqued up about this. What kind of "loyalty program" has points which expire in 3 months with no notice? And what kind of company employs customer service reps who don't know anything about the products and services they provide and won't even make the effort to find out when customers have questions.

I think tomorrow I'll be writing emails to Husqvarna and JoAnns about this and in the future I'll just buy the accessories I need on the grey market (ebay).

Thanks for listening.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Oh boy! I can see why you are angry! The customer who is standing in front of you with money to spend should e the first priority! They've come there, and have chosen merchandise to purchase, how is that less important than someone on the phone? I think you are so right to be contacting someone higher up about this, and I hope you get it resolved.

I was in Walmart with about 12 bolts of fabric in my cart. Employees streamed past me putting out merchandise. The one person who was cutting my fabric looked at his watch and said, "I need to go to lunch now". They just lost about a $150 sale beause he needed to go to lunch. Who cares anymore?

GrammaBabs
May 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Jean and Ryan... you are both absolutey 100% correct about this new and crazy "retail world" out there... i've written many times before about my past retail life and customer service... and most of the reason i praise M* so much is because, THEY as an "internet" business reflect what a store should be to it's customers...
Jean i worked the WallyWorld fabric dept. which is no more in my local... and being lucky enough to be work for "fun",,, i QUIT when they told me i HAD to take my break even though there were customers in line... (just call someone and tell someone will be right with them... HA)... not in my lifetime...I used to sell more fabric in my Sunda shift a few years back...the whole dept. would be piled with great stuff still on pallets that the "week workers" didn't get too... come Sunday... all my favorites wouldcome in and we'd just plow thru all the bolts.. i whacked off lots of yardage that went out the door on Sunday... but hey,,, it was more important to not let me work "over" that hourly mark that lots of people sued them over... whatever,,,,
I'm retired now.. doing most of my shopping on the net and saving more money... Loving M* and the gas i save, and frustration of losing my patience with store workers...
By all means, please let yourselves be heard... and Jean,, Walmart's main site has a wonderful site to register your complaint and make it directly to the proper store...

Auntpiggylpn
May 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
You probably already know this but Joann's and the sewing machine center are not connected in any way other than they share the same retail space. Joann's will not do anything to rectify a situation with the sewing machine center; don't ask me how I now this :icon_heh:

bubba
May 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
This sounds like the Joanns in Tacoma WA!! First of all, let me tell you that the department that sells the sewing machines is not owned by Joanns. It is a company that leases space from Joanns to enable them to sell machines in their stores.

They way I found this out was because of a circumstance a lot like yours....I asked to speak to the manager and was told there was none working. No assistant manager, nothing. Finding this hard to believe, I asked another worker at Joanns and it was her who told me about that department/company merely renting the space.

I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding their customer service....it sucks! They are very snooty and not customer friendly at all. I wish you luck in the future.

pat.

GuitarGramma
May 19th, 2013, 08:05 PM
That is unbelievable. You know, one of the reasons that I like JoAnn's here in my town is because the staff is so friendly and helpful. I guess your situation proves that "friendly" isn't a company policy, I just lucked out living where I do. Of course, our JoAnn's is only about a year old, so maybe the staff are all thrilled to have a job at all. Hello? Shouldn't everyone feel that way about their jobs?

Ryan, you might look around your area to see if there's a nice shop that services Husqvarna. That way, you may never have to go back to JoAnn's again. In other words, take JoAnn's discount and run away!

Juliadlf
May 19th, 2013, 08:10 PM
If it were me, I'd go back to the store and talk with the manager or at the very least give them a call. The clerk who was waiting on you should have immediately communicated with the manager or assistant manager to come to the service desk for customer assistance. I have to say that most of the time when I've visited Joann's the clerks were very helpful and some even seek out the customer to see if they can help.BUT there are few employees who have more of a clock in and clock out attitude.

I do hope things work out for you.

Iris Girl
May 19th, 2013, 08:16 PM
That sounds like viking exactly!! Ask me how I know I worked for one part time and believe me they are not nice. I was the 27th person to work under my manager in 10 years...not good... they pay minimum wage for all your knowledge, do not train you on the products to sell this is because all sales are commission based and if you the peon worker didn't have an answwer then you had to tell customers to come back when the manager was there.Only 2 of us worked there my whole 2 year stint. On top of that the repairman fixed things half way so you had to come back and dump another 100 bucks for another service call and it was always operator problems never the machines. My manager was also great she would steal my commissions like crazy thats why you get no training send them to her for questions then she calls it her sale, And about the phones you must answer it in 3 rings or you get your butt chewed out. The manager at my joanns is a wonderfully kind lady as are most of her help, she would bring me magazines to read and pattern books if I asked as MY managers policy was NO joanns stuff allowed in viking area, except hers that she stashed. She even sold a blank gift card to one of my sewing ladies and when it wouldn't register we called corporate...Boy did we both hear about that. I could write a book about my 2 years there. til finally hubby said get out your worth more then that and the extra isn't not worth it. And yep she even screamed at me when I politely handed her her keys and told her I could not work for her anymore..not how I was taught to deal with customers. thank goodness I have a manager at Michaels who stands behind her help..oh and the district manger was no help either.

mom4him
May 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Ryan, I am sorry this happened. Some stores are beyond frustrating. I can tell you from personal experience that contacting the Better Buis. Bur. is well worth the time. I did this at the first of the month concerning an issue(nothing to do with fabric or sewing) and I now have two checks coming for the full refund which is what I had asked for. Lots of frustration AND time but I will have my money in hand in a week or so.

shannonsaulter
May 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
WOW so terrible..I guess my lil Joann's is diff..never seen these machines there only singer and brothers..the staff is iber friendly and always offers coupons if you forget yours...
I hope your calls or emails get a good response...geesh what an exhausting experience for you

HandsomeRyan
May 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I feel like I should clarify that the lady who works for JoAnn's directly (in the actual fabric department rather than the HV area) was super nice when she cut my fabric for me. She was friendly asked if we found everything we were looking for. I asked for 3 yards of a very light blue flannel and when she started unrolling the bolt there was a (maybe 1.5yd long?) remnant of the previous bolt that they had wrapped around the outside of the new bolt. She pointed out that the new bolt that she would be cutting from was just a tiny bit different in color than what had been wrapped around the outside of the bolt when we picked it off the shelf. She wanted to make sure that ever-so-slight color variation was not a problem. I really appreciate her pointing that out because in this instance it didn't matter but if I was trying to match existing fabric or something it might have. Very professional and helpful. I understand that the people at JoAnn's might not care about my experience with the HV lady but at least I can tell them about the helpful nature of their actual employee. I feel like if you are one to complain about poor service you should be just as willing to recognize exceptional service.

My LQS sells HV stuff but they are _so_ expensive. I don't mind buying fabric there because it is high quality stuff and they have a great selection. I also buy thread there because the lady always tells me which one to get (I'll learn about weights eventually but not today) but I figure machine feet are machine feet no matter where I buy them and I spend enough money down there without paying $50 for a hunk of plastic with a little metal piece stuck to it.

New York Sue
May 19th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I think I'd give the HV manager one opportunity to rectify, and if it isn't to your liking, I'd fire a letter off to corporate in a NY minute. That was a lot of $$$ you dropped their way and their customer service was appalling. Squeaky wheel get's the grease, my friend!

alliek
May 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I would write to JoAnns corporate office. Even if Husqvarna is not connected with JoAnns they are still under their roof. There has to be some accountability for customer service which sadly is fading away. So sorry for your experience, it can ruin a nice day.

Kbaz0130
May 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I hear your pain. I used to work for the above mentioned store and I hate that they didn't put customer service first. They were more worried about us cutting fabric an extra inch too long than anything else. I do know the squeaky wheel gets helps. I was told by my manager more than once to ignore a complaint unless they came back, then try to make them happy. Just a little piece of advice. :-)

Alpha O
May 20th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Re the stitch in the ditch foot:

I have a Pfaff, and I had a Viking 1+. Both machines have FEET. Most are useful. I didn't find the SITD foot all that great. It blocks off a lot of area. Since I use a Pfaff 2170, I have IDT - so I use the 6mm open toe for STID. (The 2170 is 9mm) Used an open toe on the 1+ and had no problems. I could see where I was going. Far easier to turn corners.

The Viking in Joannes is a set-in run by an independent dealer. We also have a quilt shop that sells Viking. Prices are very close. The one advantage to the quilt shop - you don't have to buy the threads that Viking pushes in the set in or settle for what Joanne carries.
The quilt store has Aurifil and other good threads. The same goes for more and better accessories like rulers, templates and patterns.

Items like Olfa mats, Fiskars scissors are good with coupons at Joannes.

EnumclawGramma
May 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I believe I read some things here about JoAnn's. I found their FB page and oh ya.....people are venting on there! I have two JoAnn's I can go to. One has the most friendly woman working the cutting table. She keeps you entertained the entire time she's cutting other's fabric. Just a joy to be around and never a problem. However, in the same store, my daughter and I were waiting for fabric to be cut. We were the ONLY ones at the cutting table. The lady was on the phone engaged in a very personal conversation. I know this because she explained to the person on the other end that "this is NOT my credit card, it belonged to my EX, I have no connection with these charges...." blah blah blah. She actually put her finger up to us to say "hang on".....turned her back to us and continued her conversation. I was blown AWAY!!! JoAnn's needs to raise the bar as to who they hire. IMHO.

Mchelem
May 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM
You probably already know this but Joann's and the sewing machine center are not connected in any way other than they share the same retail space. Joann's will not do anything to rectify a situation with the sewing machine center; don't ask me how I now this :icon_heh:

Actually, they are. The Store manager of the Joann's is also the big boss of the Viking store. At least at our local Joann's, its that way. The manager at Viking answers to the manager of Joann's. Joann's can help.

Auntpiggylpn
May 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Actually, they are. The Store manager of the Joann's is also the big boss of the Viking store. At least at our local Joann's, its that way. The manager at Viking answers to the manager of Joann's. Joann's can help.

I know from personal experience that my Joann's isn't over the Viking center. It is possible that each store handles it differently.

Mchelem
May 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I know from personal experience that my Joann's isn't over the Viking center. It is possible that each store handles it differently.

Maybe. I work for Joann's and our is handled by the same store manager.

bubba
May 20th, 2013, 01:56 PM
The Joanns by me is also seperate from the sewing machine part of the store.....they merely are 'renters' of that space and the manager is not in charge of them.

KatiesQuiltingCorner
May 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Typical Husqvarna Viking store inside a JoAnns it seems. I had a terrible experience with them and ended up selling my Viking Topaz 20.

You can read the whole saga here. (http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2013/01/why-i-will-never-again-purchase-or-recommend-husqvarna-viking-sewing-machines.html) It baffles me how a business can have such awful customer service and get away with it. I spread the word far and wide now.

I hope you never have to get the machine serviced through them.

http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/husqvarna_viking-NO-150x150.jpg (http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2013/01/why-i-will-never-again-purchase-or-recommend-husqvarna-viking-sewing-machines.html)

Mchelem
May 21st, 2013, 12:59 AM
Our service tech is in store, so I trust my machines to him. He is also married to one of the ladies who sold me my machines.

I have never had a problem with my machines (I have 3 viking machines in total) or their customer service. My experiences have only been positive,

Hulamoon
May 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear this too. My sewing center ( not quilt shop) is a dealer for Viking and Babylock and I have had only the best service from them for both brands. And I will stick with them. I don't think I've ever been in a JoAnns. So that must be the problem in this.

I just love my Viking. She's my little workhorse and would buy another in a minute.

kensington
May 21st, 2013, 02:08 AM
Are you sure you don't have a SID foot and a walking foot that came with the machine? I recently purchased a Janome and it came with that, a 1/4 inch guide, a walking foot, and numerous others.

auntiemern
May 21st, 2013, 02:30 AM
I know the closest JoAnns to me, the viking dealer in the store is not associated with JoAnns. They merely rent space and do not take JoAnns coupons either. I don't go there very often, cuz they are always backed up at the cutting table, and when you check out.

Evilynn
May 21st, 2013, 03:48 AM
Katie, I just read your blog, and that's horrible what you had to went through!

Ryan, that's just awful. For me, good customer service is the most important thing ever. I hope you can get it resolved.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 21st, 2013, 04:45 AM
My little cheapie Singer came with the coolest SID foot, the blade is adjustable with a little turn screw! Cute little thing! But I had to pay $30 for one for my Janome Horizin 7700. Good luck in your quest for the foot.

HandsomeRyan
May 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Are you sure you don't have a SID foot and a walking foot that came with the machine? I recently purchased a Janome and it came with that, a 1/4 inch guide, a walking foot, and numerous others.

Nope. The machine did come with several feet but not a SITD foot and certainly not a walking foot. The walking foot is $100 but it comes with 2 different "feet" that can be interchanged on the walking foot itself. I think the walking foot for my Brother machine was $25.

Claire Hallman
May 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
I have a Viking and it did not come with a walking foot or a SITD foot. I was able to buy an aftermarket waking foot but it cost about $35-$40 if I remember correctly. I have had a SITD foot for another machine in the past and didn't much like it so have not felt a need to buy one for the Viking.:icon_happy:

mommadeb
May 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=GrammaBabs;317654]By all means, please let yourselves be heard...

I made myself heard at a Walmart in Iowa once. I needed fabric cut and a couple store employees walked right past me. Well...to my kids amusement (and probably horror) I picked up the phone at the fabric counter and got on the intercom and requested immediate service at the fabric counter. I got my fabric cut, but they're weren't happy about it. I think a manager came back there too. Hee hee. I won.

Mchelem
May 22nd, 2013, 03:35 AM
[QUOTE=GrammaBabs;317654]By all means, please let yourselves be heard...

I made myself heard at a Walmart in Iowa once. I needed fabric cut and a couple store employees walked right past me. Well...to my kids amusement (and probably horror) I picked up the phone at the fabric counter and got on the intercom and requested immediate service at the fabric counter. I got my fabric cut, but they're weren't happy about it. I think a manager came back there too. Hee hee. I won.

I have done this before.

Walmarts customer service is the pits!!

Hulamoon
May 22nd, 2013, 04:13 AM
lol That's funny! I don't stop there for fabric any more, just notions if I happen to go there. I just bought a 8 1/2 sq ruler to do a string quilt.