View Full Version : Weekend warrior.....uhg

May 18th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I really am getting too old for that kind of stuff I tell ya!!!

This morning we had a guy coming at 9 a.m. To pull some very large boulders from around our pond. They were collapsing the side of it so had to go! My DH and I put them in 9 years ago when I was still very strong and healthy. Now with my arthritis, there was no way I could have moved them....some were well over two hundred pounds. But we did have to move plants that we didn't want stomped...well I had to. So started at 8 a.m. Then started weeding and pruning out the shrubs that had been damaged by rabbits....got three of those big yard waste bags filled! Then weeded the garden path and swept it. Then spread a yard of mulch and swept the side deck. Bathed myself and one of the dogs and now I am totally baked! Took two extra strength advil but may have to go for the tylenol two's!

I put these gardens and pond in when I was able to care for them....but renovating them is MUCH harder work! Uhg! Will post some pics when its all tidied up!

May 18th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Oh Wendy - I do know where you are coming from. I do that same kind of stuff every Sunday at my dad's. He thinks he can still do it, but most of it gets delegated to me. His garden is a constant upkeep and he never fails to leave a few garbage bags full ready for me to haul out to the curb every week and then of course there are more to be filled. I am just thanking the Good Lord up above that I didn't rototill today on top of having a garage sale. The threat of rain was so close he said that we can wait another week. I heal through the week while working and then do it all over again the next Sunday. I not only take the tylenol or whatever says it helps with muscle aches, but also sewing up a herbal pack that you can heat in the microwave is just WONDERS! In fact, I think I will go get that microwave bag now because I did plant a pine tree and spread a bag of mulch for him before I left for the day.


May 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Sorry...you guys work too hard! Look forward to the pics though!

May 18th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I hear you Wendy and TJ. Getting older with arthriths really puts a big damper on my having the large flower and plant garde I used to have. Nowadays I satisfy my need to garden and get my hands dirty by having big pots of flowers on our deck. Did begin working on them today and was happy when the rain began because I was tiring myself out. Need to save some energy for tomorrow.

May 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Wendy, I totally hear you. I used to go nearly day and night. Then I became chemically sensitive and I react to just so much. When someone comes that has, well, almost anything on or if I go somewhere and am put in a position of being close to a person with fragrances or many deodorants or fragrance hair stuff, I am crashed for days, sometimes a couple of weeks. I have a Chiropractor that helps a lot but haven't been able to get to him like I used to because of finances. Many days I get up, get my oldest son up(he is a quad), do about 3 hrs school with the kids and then I sleep for a couple of hrs. Some days I can then get up and work again for a time but many times it just barely gets me to where I can do what HAS to be done.

My yard used to be a show place. Now it is a weed place it seems. My husband has been doing a few things in the yard this spring but he is not well either so there are just a lot of things that will go undone, again.

May 19th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Can completely sympathize with you. I cannot do anywhere near as much as I used to. This old tired body just won't let me. But then neither will DH. He gets on me about not getting enough exercise, but if I start to go down the stairs to do laundry or change the sheets by myself, he gets on me. Like "what are you doing?, I'm right here" I can't win for losing, lol. That is why I do all the rearranging and heavy cleaning when he is gone. I can actually get things done then. Although there was the one time I had been deep cleaning for 2 days, and had taken my mattress off so I could wash the bed skirt, and by the time I had done everything else I couldn't budge the mattress, and had to call for help at 11PM.