PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

Lonna
May 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM
So what do you know about shingles? I have been feeling under the weather for the past couple of week's. Not really know what was wrong just not feeling well. The beginning of this past week started really hurting in my lower back thinking that maybe I was having problems with the new medicine that they put me on for my SVT. Well yesterday I was really hurting in my lower left side skin was tingling and burning. Talked with my Mom, did some reading on the internet and now today I have a rash breaking out. I am to the point of believing that I have the shingles. I do not have a primary Doctor or insurance. I have not been to see a Doctor at all for the past 9 or 10 years for this reason. Have not had a reason to go other then a couple of weeks ago when I was rushed to the ER with my racing heart I now have an appointment with a heart doctor the 29th of the month with our local charity hospital. But in the mean time what do I do about the shingles. I hate the idea of having to sit in the ER at the charity hospital as it will be an all day affair. So if you have ever had the shingles please tell me about your out break. Thank you.

SuzyQue
May 18th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I have not had shingles, but know others that have. It is always just on one side of your body, caused by or made worse by stress, (actually caused by the virus leftovers of chicken pox as a child), and is extremely uncomfortable and painful. I will let others help you more with info on their own cases, but will pray for you!

EnumclawGramma
May 18th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Ugh. I had shingles last July. You sound pretty much exactly like I did. If they diagnose you within 72 hours (I think) they can give you a medication that shortens the duration and severity. I missed that window by, oh, two hours. So....She gave me percoset and a pill they used to give for epilepsy that they give for shingles that calms the nerve pain. I took the meds for two weeks till it started to affect my brain (really) and just dealt with it. A year later I still feel the tingles and prickles occasionally, like when I'm stressed. Sun made them much worse, or any heat for that matter (like the shower). I also know it's on the increase and they don't know why. It IS related to chicken pox. There's a shot for shingles but if you're under 60 your insurance won't pay for it. Also, you can't get the shot for at least a year after you've had shingles.

You can PM me if you have any other questions. I hope I helped....a little. I should mention that my sister had them, and had no insurance and she just toughed it out. I thought I could get by with just Motrin but boy was I wrong!

My doctor told me that the way the diagnose them is that if the rash is limited to one side of your body that's a indicator. They run along a "band" of nerves. Mine was on my left side, breast bone around to the back and ended right at my spine.

WendyI
May 18th, 2013, 09:40 PM
So sorry you are feeling unwell! Hope its not shingles!

Bailey65
May 18th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Oh Geez....I am so sorry that you are having these issues. I probably cannot help much but my step-dad had shingles in his eye. It was excruciating for him and was hospitalized with it.

auntiemern
May 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Sounds like shingles to me. You may just have to go to the ER anyway. There are meds they can give you to help with the pain and the rash. My sis had them a couple of years ago. I know several people that have had them, and knock wood I am not one. I am amazed I didn't get them with all the stress I was under.

bkthomas
May 18th, 2013, 10:00 PM
You are in my prayers Lonna, so hope it is not what you think!

K. McEuen
May 18th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I had them a couple years ago. I have a really high pain tolerance so the only thing I really felt was the intense itching! I about scratched myself raw, then thought, hmmm, when I actually felt myself scratching off bumps. Of course it was on my back, but I reached around, took a picture with my phone and though "ooo, that looks like shingles." I started slathering Caladryl lotion on the area and tried not to scratch it. It finally went away. Luckily I didn't have the pain or the duration that a lot of people have with it and haven't had a flair up since. I can say that if I get stressed my back itches a little, but no more rash.

tesspug
May 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I had shingles two years ago. It was excruciating. I was sure I had really damaged by back until the rash showed up. There are some medicines that will help greatly. I urge you to go to the doctor because it can cause permanent nerve damage. They will also give you a nerve pain medication that will make it bearable.

NanaB
May 19th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Lonna, I am so sorry that you are sick. As if you don't have enough going on! Hopefully it won't be shingles; and if it is, hopefully it will be a mild and short duration. I've never had them (knock wood), and I had the shingles shot a few years ago. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

pcbatiks
May 19th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Lonna.......I've never had shingles before so I'm not much help. I will be praying for you.

Mpyles
May 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I had them in my twenties, around my waste..at the time I we wore pantyhose and that was horrible as it put pressure on the spot. You should go to the doc..they can give you zovirax ( generic name is a acycolvir) for them orally or you could go overthe counter and bynsome abreva for the rash....its for cold sores/fever blisters which are caused by the same chicken pox virus. I have had it on my face and ear area prolly about about 2 years ago, not as painful as the side but painful none the less. I still to this day have phantom pains where I have had them.

rebeccas-sewing
May 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I urge everyone to get the shingles shot as soon as you are able. I've known a number of people who have had them. Definitely no fun. I know a woman who got them in her private parts. Can't even imagine how painful that must have been. The best man at our wedding got shingles on his brain and almost died. He had to give up his engineering career since his memory was affected after having part of his brain removed. When I think about it I've known quite a few who have had to suffer through shingles. I turned 61 this past Christmas so you can be sure I had my doctor give me the shot my last visit home. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this Lonna. It definitely sounds like shingles. Best advice I can give is get to the doctor as soon as possible. If it's too late for you to get the shot find out when you should get it once the shingles are gone. You can get shingles again. I know it's expensive to get the shot if you don't have insurance but it would be something I would save up for if I didn't have the money.

nana margaret
May 19th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I had shingles on the right side of my face 30years ago when my children were small, it has to be one of the most excruciating painful conditions I've experienced. I was just given something to paint onto the area and pain killers and remember just walking up and down the hall for hours on end because I was in so much pain. My uncle had it on his face too but had to be admitted to hospital with it. I can't remember having any symptoms before the rash started to appear but once it did it spread over half of my face. Shingles typically follows a nerve path and the waist is an area which is often hit, it does sound as though you could have it.