PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale score!

Auntpiggylpn
May 18th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I was talking with PCBatiks about finding fabric treasures at garage sales. I told her about my latest and greatest finds and she suggested I share the story and pictures. A couple of weeks ago I found a listing for a garage sale on my local Craigslist. It was titled "Sewer's Dream Sale". I've been on a fabric diet but thought I could score a good deal on zippers so off I went. Oh, my! The seller's MIL had passed away and she had worked at Joann's for over 15 years. There was so much fabric, I tried to restrain myself. There were no scraps, everything was a 1 yd cut or more. I made my selections and took them to pay. The lady said $20, I said "No Problem!" I brought them home and washed and ruler folded them. Each fabric that I chose was 3 yards all the way up to 8 yards. The last light blue fabric on the right is an 8 yard cut of flannel. I measured and I got 70+ yards of fabric for $20!!! The last picture is the four fabrics that are my favorites out of the whole lot!

NanaB
May 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
WOW! You hit the mother load. Congratulations on a very thrifty Saturday.

I told my husband I want to have a 'craft' sale. If I get rid of (thousands of dollars worth of) scrapbook supplies/paper/tools, I would have more room (and money) for my quilting habit. You convinced me--I had planned to 'advertise' on CraigsList. My pessimistic husband doesn't think it will work. Since I'm a procrastinator, it will take me weeks to prepare. We'll see----

Congratulations again!!!

shannonsaulter
May 18th, 2013, 02:42 PM
WOW! I don't get that lucky people here trying CL and selling more price wise then if I go to my LSQ...

Auntpiggylpn
May 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
WOW! You hit the mother load. Congratulations on a very thrifty Saturday.

I told my husband I want to have a 'craft' sale. If I get rid of (thousands of dollars worth of) scrapbook supplies/paper/tools, I would have more room (and money) for my quilting habit. You convinced me--I had planned to 'advertise' on CraigsList. My pessimistic husband doesn't think it will work. Since I'm a procrastinator, it will take me weeks to prepare. We'll see----

Congratulations again!!!

i had a craft garage sale about 4 years ago. I had decided I wanted to focus on just quilting. I got rid of all my scrap booking stuff, knitting stuff, paints, cross stitching stuff; you name it! I sold every last item!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM
What a haul! You sure did great with that sale!

K. McEuen
May 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Oooo...the teal with swirly things on the left - I had some of that fabric, used it in a couple quilts. Just used the last of it in a COC quilt I think. I had that in teal and purple. Loved that piece of fabric. It had a nice weight to it.

I don't normally do garage sales, mostly because I hate having them, people always tick me off. Offering a nickle when you have something marked 10 cents. You did good though.

Bubby
May 18th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I couldn't pass up a great deal like that! I'm thrilled for you!!!

Iris Girl
May 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
you did fabulous what a great haul!!!! looks like you had a wonderful saturday!!

nanaleslie
May 18th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Wow, what an awesome find! Thanks for sharing! :icon_bigsmile:

auntiemern
May 18th, 2013, 04:28 PM
WOW!!!! You hit the jack pot.I guess I really do need to go to more sales. Not that I actually need, or have room for any more, lol. I could never use up what I have in my life time. That being said, I am gonna give it my best shot though.

turena65
May 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Oh Boy... you lucky girl you! What a wonderful find.... yayyy!

pcbatiks
May 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Yay for you! The haul is even better than I imagined.........love the teal color piece on the left too!

laf512
May 18th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Wow!!! That was a steal! Why can I never find deals like that??

mgreen2427
May 18th, 2013, 05:23 PM
What a find wish I could be so lucky! Congrates!!!

nana margaret
May 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM
That has to be the bargain of the century, lucky you! I adore the rag doll fabric.

GrammaBabs
May 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM
youmade wide choices... lots of fabric that will work with other fabric... of course my favs are the black prints... ALWAYS goes with everything... you also did good at restraining... Good for you!!!

dwil23
May 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
What a haul! I love that teal one in the last picture, how pretty!

quiltingtrish
May 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I love deals like that! You don't say what state you are in. If it's PA, let me know please!!

Hugs,

WendyI
May 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Man how dd you stop at only 70! I probably woulda bought every piece of fabric she had! Lol! What a great haul! Congrats!

New York Sue
May 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM
HOLY CRAP!
What a steal!

MRoy
May 18th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Wow! What a great haul!

IBake
May 18th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I think I'll just come and shop out of your fabric stash. What a find. Doesn't it make you want to get more? Congrats on the find!!

SisterDi
May 18th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Dogs playing poker for the win!

After my grandmother passed, my Mom had a garage sale with all of her accumulated stuff from..the beginning of time. As she was setting it up, she found a cardboard tube that had the dogs prints in it, but also had $400 cash rolled up with them. Gram always said that if anything ever happened to her, there was hidden cash in the house. :lol: Bless her little heart.

Auntpiggylpn
May 19th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I love deals like that! You don't say what state you are in. If it's PA, let me know please!!

Hugs,

Sorry, I'm in Indiana! And I have gone to a few sewer/quilter garage sales and I have never been this fortunate. Usually it is all scraps or fabrics that don't attract me. There must have been 20 boxes lining the driveway and 5-6 tables stacked with fabric. There was nothing else at their sale; it was all fabric!

pcbatiks
May 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM
All fabric.......did you nearly faint from the excitement when you got to the sale? That must have been so much fun!

Jess1377
May 19th, 2013, 01:15 AM
That is an incredibly awesome score!!