PDA

View Full Version : Another Starlet coming out

middlesis1966
May 18th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I understand that another movie star has come out about being BRCA+. Now there is a ton of misinformation coming out of the woodwork. I am a BRCA+ woman and this was the driving force behind my cancer. While I don't know a ton about it, I do know what I know and it's the truth. The misinformation that's coming out is that the gene only comes from your mother. THIS IS A VERY FALSE AND MISLEADING STATEMENT!!!!!! It can and has come from a fathers side. People need to understand that this gene can be passed from a father or a mother. A father can have this very gene and never ever get male breast cancer, but can pass this gene onto his children. So ladies if your fathers side has had breast or ovarian cancers please please talk with your doctor about BRCA testing. If you would like to know more go to a website called facingourrisk.org to learn more!

bubba
May 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM
My husbands side of the family runs rampant in the cancer disease. His mother had 13 brothers and sisters, one brother has died of old age, but I think every woman but one has either had cancer or died of it. That included my mother in law who fought ovarian cancer for almost eight years when they gave her six months at the most.

Our daughters have pleaded with their doctors to hysterectomies to no avail. They are not having anymore children, but the doctors flat out refuse because it's 'elective' for them at this point. They also will not do the blood test for that gene because of the cost. If you want to pay yourself, fine, but they won't order it otherwise and last we checked it was upwards of $600 to have one test done.

It's an awful, ugly disease to watch someone go thru. I wish cancer would get cancer and die.

K. McEuen
May 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I thought of you the other day when I read the story about Angelina Jolie. Luckily breast cancer isn't one that runs in our family, on either side. I have an aunt (by marriage, not blood) and she is the only one I know of that had breast cancer. She is now a 20+ year survivor.

I know a gentleman who is a breast cancer survivor as well. He is close to 80 and had his cancer close to 30 years ago. Not too many men develop breast cancer and even fewer survive because they don't get it checked. Luck was on his side because he was a doctor (podiatrist) but knew enough to know something was wrong.

middlesis1966
May 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM
My husbands side of the family runs rampant in the cancer disease. His mother had 13 brothers and sisters, one brother has died of old age, but I think every woman but one has either had cancer or died of it. That included my mother in law who fought ovarian cancer for almost eight years when they gave her six months at the most.

Our daughters have pleaded with their doctors to hysterectomies to no avail. They are not having anymore children, but the doctors flat out refuse because it's 'elective' for them at this point. They also will not do the blood test for that gene because of the cost. If you want to pay yourself, fine, but they won't order it otherwise and last we checked it was upwards of $600 to have one test done.

It's an awful, ugly disease to watch someone go thru. I wish cancer would get cancer and die.

This is what burns my britches about the costing of the BRCA gene. The woman who discovered this very gene never intended for it to become a money maker that it now is. It still boggles my mind how a company can patient a gene. Since they were allowed to do this, they can charge unreal amounts for the testing. When I had mine done it was over $3500.00. Now it is over $4,000, this is the cost if you are the very first in your family to test. If you have the gene and others get tested it's over $600.00. I know that you have to meet guidelines to have this testing done, but still insurance companies will try and stop it. Heck I was clear up to a 5 degree as far as meeting the guidelines, but at first the insurance wasn't going to cover it. I'm very lucky that my Onc did what she did, or my breast would just be hacked away until there was nothing left. After the 2nd go round with cancer I did the BRCA testing and so did my oldest sissy. My younger sissy already had lost both of her breast's so we still don't know if she has the gene or not. But the genetics counselor says she can almost guarentee that she does given what my younger sissy went thru. What blew my mind was that my oldest sissies doctor told her that there would be no doctor in our state would removed her breast even if she tested +, that floored me. Well I ended up telling my breast surgeon just what her doc said and he was floored. He said that he would do it it a heart beat for her if she was positive. That's what boggles my mind. I know that there are others monitoring that can be done. But here are the choices. A mammogram then in 6 months an MRI, oh and along with this throw in the sonograms too. This has to be a regular basis in order to catch it early. The same choices are pretty much the same to keep watch on your ovaries. So while everyone that has been on the news going on and on that there are other options, yes there are. But how long and how many of these tests does a person need to go thru before they say enough is enough and do a preventative surgery. Boggles my mind sometimes.