PDA

View Full Version : It's Been a Rough Week

madampolo
May 16th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Mother's Day, we drove to Houston to go out to eat with my daughter. Not long after leaving the restaurant, we had car trouble. Of course, nothing was open that day. My daughter rescued us, we rented a car at the airport, and stayed in a hotel so we could get it towed Monday. We had seen a popup camping trailer on Craig's List that we liked, but it was in San Antonio. Tuesday, we drove to San Antonio, liked it, and bought it, but couldn't bring it home without our car. They fixed our car, put on a tow package, and it was ready today. So, we drove to Katy, picked up the car, drove to the airport to return the rent car, then drove from Houston to San Antonio, picked up the camping trailer, and then drove it home. All that took 12 hours, and we are pooped. We plan to do a trial run at camping at a state park 15 miles from here, but that will have to wait until after my step-daughter's upcoming visit.

If anyone has any camping tips or good recipes, I'd love to get them. Maybe someone has a tale to tell about a unique camping trip experience the have had?

ilive2craft2
May 17th, 2013, 12:04 AM
The car trouble doesn't sound like fun, but the camper sure does! I had an aunt and uncle with a camper when I was a kid and I thought it was fantastic. We all met up one year to go camping - my family was borrowing a tent. We drove to my uncles house in Rockford (at that time 2 lane highways, it was 3-4 hours) to follow them to the campsite, which he said wasn't far away. After another hour or two, my dad had to flag him down - we needed to stop for gas! I was not a good car traveler at that point in my life - motion sickness- with 2 older brothers who told me watching the corn out the window would make me feel better.... We finally arrived at the camp site, got the tent setup and everything. We were somewhere in Wisconsin - I have no idea where. It was over 100 degrees the next day and lots of mosquito's the size of bees. Us kids had fun swimming. :) We only spent one night and left the next morning.... I hope to have a camper of some sort at some point - but it has to have a bathroom....so not sure that it will happen... I think we should rent one to make sure we like it first. I bet you will have lots of fun!!! :)

bkthomas
May 17th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Sorry you've had a rough week Joyce - but glad for you it's over now - I got tired just reading your tale! Hope you have big fun this summer with the new camper!

kensington
May 17th, 2013, 12:57 AM
OFF! Don't forget the OFF! My husband is an Eagle Scout and all of our sons have been scouts, and I know the value of OFF! For camping!

auntiemern
May 17th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Sorry you had to go through all that. We used to have a pop up. Actually had 4 of them. Now have a travel trailer. Best advice I can give you is, don't forget the insect repellant.

bubba
May 17th, 2013, 01:02 AM
When our oldest grandson was young and we had custody of him, we used to camp all the time. One of his favorite things to do was to cook boboli in the bbq. Pizza...camping!!! Best of both worlds!

Now we have cast iron sandwich makers that you use over the fire and we just make our pizza sandwiches in them! You can pick them up at Cabelas.

Have fun camping!!

shannonsaulter
May 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
car troubles are the worst..but enjoy the camper!

Monique
May 17th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Have fun camping.

SallyO'Sews
May 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I know lots of folks who love camping, and I truly hope you have a wonderful time. Best "camp-out" food I ever had was the tried-and-true strips of veggies and meat wrapped tightly in foil and cooked over the coals.

That said, I have not been camping since college, and only went then because my boyfriend wanted a bunch of us to go. That was 40 years ago. My definition of "roughing it" is to have to turn off both the air conditioner and the electric blanket. :D

twnkeyes
May 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I grew up camping as our vacation and saw a lot of our great nation. My hubs and I have bought a 1974 Airstream that is in immaculate condition and are looking forward to upcoming trips. I have found a ton of good recipes and tips on Pinterest of all places. If you're interested just click the Outdoor section, sit back and have your husband wake you in the morning because you can get carried away looking! :icon_happy: Have fun!

Divine Daisy
May 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Poor you with the car problems......they are never at a convient time are they?

As for camping...... I love the outdoors but I never want to bear my bum to it or sleep on it so I have no advice!

asta
May 17th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Camping is such a fun and exciting experience. My family always enjoyed the time together and even tho they are grown up we still manage to get together for a couple long weekend camping trips each summer. One of their favorite breakfast's is burritos. I make them ahead, torts, with frozen hash browns, browned sausage, scrambled eggs, onion, peppers, cheese (really whatever you like) Roll up and wrap tightly in foil, in the morning all you need to do is warm them in the campfire, no clean-up required and delicious.
Beth

WendyI
May 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
This is our third summer with our new camper. It's a 21 foot with a 7 foot tip-out at the back! I love it but wish we could get a bigger one! LOL!

The BEST thing about camping is steaks over an open fire! Man they're good! And meeting people from all over. I agree that bug spray is an absolute necessity! I also have a huge outdoor carpet that comes along...it's astonishing how much dirt can get tracked into a trailer in a very short period of time. I feel like I'm always sweeping! The carpet helps a lot.

I'm not sure what other kind of advice you're looking for though. I keep a journal of every place we have been to, what we liked, what we didn't, if we'd go back, sites we'd like to stay on if we did go back, what amenities did we like or not like...those kinds of things. And sometimes you need to book 6 months in advance of when you actually want to camp somewhere...well in Canada anyway. lol.

ENJOY! You're going to have a blast!

WendyI
May 17th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Camping is such a fun and exciting experience. My family always enjoyed the time together and even tho they are grown up we still manage to get together for a couple long weekend camping trips each summer. One of their favorite breakfast's is burritos. I make them ahead, torts, with frozen hash browns, browned sausage, scrambled eggs, onion, peppers, cheese (really whatever you like) Roll up and wrap tightly in foil, in the morning all you need to do is warm them in the campfire, no clean-up required and delicious.
Beth

I am SOOO doing this!! Thanks!

whereiskellie
May 17th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I got tired just reading that long list of activities~

Where did you end up eating in Houston? Thats where i live!

madampolo
May 18th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I got tired just reading that long list of activities~

Where did you end up eating in Houston? Thats where i live!

We ate at The Taste of Texas on I-10. It is my favorite restaurant. I was born in Houston at St. Joseph downtown, and lived there for 56 years until we retired and moved just outside of Giddings. Giddings is on Hwy 290 between Austin and Houston. My daughter still lives in Houston. What I find amazing is the changes in Houston in 8 years. Every time we go, something is new. Also, we have gotten used to passing only 1 or 2 cars in the seven miles to town, so going to Houston reminds us why we don't like the traffic. We had a road rage incident after my husband changed lanes where this lady passed us and stomped on her brakes and came to a complete stop on I-10, and then repeated that 3 times until she turned right across two lanes and took the exit. Where are cops when you need them?

K. McEuen
May 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Jeez, I bet you felt like you were going in circles!

Camping, my advice is watch out for cows! We camped in a National Forest out here, tent camping, not trailer. It seems they lease the land to ranchers to graze their cattle. We found a little meadow surrounded by pine trees and pitched our tent. The first day was uneventful. The next morning we crawled out of the tent to see cows eating the ashes from the fire pit. Seems they like the potash when they need potassium. Hearing something behind the tent I went around only to see a mid-sized cow standing there, eating our loaf of bread. Bag and all! Luckily we had tortillas to make sandwiches out of. We did get them back though. We went cow hunting later that day with super soakers. Actually made one cow jump in the river when all 3 of us got her with the squirt guns at once.

ConnieNana
May 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM
We camped with all seven of our children....in tents. They were all scouts and they enjoyed foil pack meals. Meat, potatoes, onions and seansonings. Wrapped tightly and cooked in the coals. Dessert, too. Banana boats....in foil, sliced banaba with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Wrapped tightly and cooked in the coals. Yummy!
Do have fun and DO remember the insect repellent.

Lilly
May 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
So sorry to hear of your rough week but I'm excited for you to be going camping. I'll come along and be your cook. Banana boats are yummy, so are baked apples; place a cored apple on a sq of heavy duty foil, push 2 caramels into the cavity, wrap tightly and cook in the coals. YUM. Or pies; take that sandwich maker from cabellas or walmart and place two pieces of bread, buttered on the outside and sprinkled with sugar into the cavities. Add a spoonful (not too much!) of apple or raspberry or cherry pie fillinginto the bread, seal and cook low and slow over the coals. YUM the bread tastes surprisingly like pie dough. We use our crock pot and make things like apple crisp and Creme Brulee as well as the normal stews. We make our vegies separate from the meat in the foil packets and add taco seasoning to the patties and top with onions or grill the burgers. Oh I could go on and on. I LOVE camping in my sweet tent.

Lindagie
May 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Car problems are the pits, especially when you are away from home. Sorry you had such trouble and hope you enjoy that camper. I know alot of people who love to camp; I am just not one of them; neither is the DH.

Hulamoon
May 18th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have lot's of little stories about camping but all from my childhood. Good memories:)

I found that the best repellant is that one you stick on your belt. It really works!

Have fun!

New York Sue
May 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM
That does sound a little rough...
But you have a camper now! YEA!
ENJOY.

madampolo
May 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
So sorry to hear of your rough week but I'm excited for you to be going camping. I'll come along and be your cook. Banana boats are yummy, so are baked apples; place a cored apple on a sq of heavy duty foil, push 2 caramels into the cavity, wrap tightly and cook in the coals. YUM. Or pies; take that sandwich maker from cabellas or walmart and place two pieces of bread, buttered on the outside and sprinkled with sugar into the cavities. Add a spoonful (not too much!) of apple or raspberry or cherry pie fillinginto the bread, seal and cook low and slow over the coals. YUM the bread tastes surprisingly like pie dough. We use our crock pot and make things like apple crisp and Creme Brulee as well as the normal stews. We make our vegies separate from the meat in the foil packets and add taco seasoning to the patties and top with onions or grill the burgers. Oh I could go on and on. I LOVE camping in my sweet tent.

I am going to try that pie thing with the bread. I saw on line a cast iron square sandwich maker that you put on the coals, and this would be perfect for it!

madampolo
May 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Jeez, I bet you felt like you were going in circles!

Camping, my advice is watch out for cows! We camped in a National Forest out here, tent camping, not trailer. It seems they lease the land to ranchers to graze their cattle. We found a little meadow surrounded by pine trees and pitched our tent. The first day was uneventful. The next morning we crawled out of the tent to see cows eating the ashes from the fire pit. Seems they like the potash when they need potassium. Hearing something behind the tent I went around only to see a mid-sized cow standing there, eating our loaf of bread. Bag and all! Luckily we had tortillas to make sandwiches out of. We did get them back though. We went cow hunting later that day with super soakers. Actually made one cow jump in the river when all 3 of us got her with the squirt guns at once.

Funny stories about the cows! We live in the country and, although we don't have cows, we are surrounded by them. Sometimes my cousin puts his cows on our place to graze. I'm not scared of them, but am leery about the bull. I just love the little calves.

Lilly
May 19th, 2013, 12:17 AM
I am going to try that pie thing with the bread. I saw on line a cast iron square sandwich maker that you put on the coals, and this would be perfect for it!

Yes that is the "pie" maker. It is great for savory fillings too. Or grilled cheese - easy peasy. Do check around and get a good price - maybe even Amazon- I always check Amazon. Oh and you'll spend your life cleaning them up from the campfire if they are not non stick.

tesspug
May 19th, 2013, 12:32 AM
We just made these last week. DH made the right size stick with a fat dowel cut about 5 inches, drilled in one end and a smaller dowel stuck in. They were amazing. http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2012/08/campfire-eclairs.html

tesspug
May 19th, 2013, 12:34 AM
I just noticed there is a link to tell you how to make the dowels.http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2012/08/campfire-eclairs.html

Mpyles
May 19th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Don't forget the key...twice we have taken off gotten to out destination and not had the key to the camper door....dooooooh!!!