PDA

View Full Version : SO annoyed right now...

WendyI
May 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM
It took me 20 years working at this university to get my own office....and now they're asking me to either double up or give up my window. sigh. I know it sounds petty to complain when so many don't have jobs...but I need my window AND my privacy! Time to move on I guess. I'm so upset right now. WHY do people always think it's okay to crap on me?! Oh just give it to Wendy, she'll do it. Oh get Wendy to figure it out. Oh it's a crap job, give it to Wendy. Oh someone has to sacrifice something, get Wendy to do it.

Sorry...don't mean to sound like a pity party but there are people in this office that have been here on campus for less than five years...why can't THEY be asked to make the sacrifices!? I've paid my dues ****it!

MayinJerset
May 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Been there too. Worked at a local college and m dingy office space was last on the list to be remodeled. I retired well before it ever got done and found out it became a central space shared by the other OAs (secretarys) and as well as the TAs under a supervisor. One thing that would have been a plus for me was instead being assigned to work with 10 certain professors all the OAs would share the work of all the professors in our section. Finally the other gals would be responsible for a fair share of the work. Then again, maybe the profs would still come to me as I got things done. I have to say the profs I worked with were all very generous with gifts, lunches and special things. They gave me the biggest surprise retirement party too. Hang in there Wendy maybe the best is yet to come.

laf512
May 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Im sorry! That would be very frustrating :(

GrammaBabs
May 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Wendy,,,, my heart goes out to you.. but my DD has just gone thru over 5yrs. of 5 buyouts and changes in her job.... each time it was... (I wonder if i make it thru).... she is (if i may say so,,,fantastic at her job and yes she's been with them for over 20yrs... since she was 16).... but doing EVERYTHING and ANYTHING has allowed her to be saved over and over... she's paid very well,,, she's gone from a "packer" age 16.. to every position in the store (Grocery Business)... to Coporate office... most of all those jobs.. into Marketing and Advertising... management... having her own dept... and back to hrly... working until 7or8 somenights.. to be sure those flyers and sale pricing hits the print,, and is correct...Finally... they were bought out (about a month ago), but a "firm" that wants to see if they can save the local stores... she one of the few saved... called in.. and asked which of the 5jobs could she do... Her reply... "All of them"...:).... She's still there... but working for the marketing co. instead.. devastated not to be able to say she "works for SHAWS".... but was kept with same vaca, bennies and salary.... she says,,, she's not leaving until they "throw her out"....LOL...
So YES Wendy... i totally get where your coming from,,, but know the reason they keep you is because your GOOD... and YES they do take advantage... It's basically why i quit years ago.. I had the luxury of not "having" to work,,, so i finally just gave notice... and they replaced me with 3 people... hehehehehe... some of us are just suckers....
Hang in there GF... be proud of how good you are... Hugs, and keep us posted... Barbara

Renate
May 16th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Hi wendy, what about saying: "no thank you" with a smile?

mom4him
May 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hi wendy, what about saying: "no thank you" with a smile?
I agree with Renate. Simply be honest with them. If they move you and well.......then do the move on.

bubba
May 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I feel for you too. My husband has worked at his last job for eight years....he is a very intelligent computer guru. They have made everyone reapply for their jobs during a reorganization they decided to do. This enabled people to apply for other jobs in the computer section of the company which in the past have never had any openings. Well, he applied for four jobs, including the one he currently does. He was interview a few weeks ago and was told by that person after a lengthy interview that he was more than qualified for all of the jobs he applied for and they would be getting back to him the next week. Imagine our surprise three days later when they called and said he would not be moving forward and his last day will be June 1!!!

Needless to say, this has been quite a shock to our systems. At least we don't have kids at home and the two loans we do have are covered by insurance, so we won't have have to worry about anything except his car, the mortgage and the utilities. It has put a huge damper on my retirement plans.....probably won't be doing that in two years afterall!!

I hope things get better for you, just remember they happen for a reason.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
At our college, budget cuts meant my program was cut. So my windowless office is empty now. A couple of years ago, I got a call mid summer to move my office with 4 desks 2 computers 2 phones and a ton of books, and oh , if you could be out by tomorrow and into the closet across the hall we would really appreciate that. Guess the handwriting was on the wall then!

Sorry you have to deal with this, change is never easy.

K. McEuen
May 16th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Tell them you have really bad gas so you need the window and no one would want to share with you.

Hulamoon
May 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM
That sucks. I would double up and keep the window if they are giving you that kind of choice. If they move you to a room without one you will be more miserable. My mom went through something like this and she had a breakdown and quit her job. Stay calm and don't let it consume you. ((hugs)) & ((xxx's))

Mchelem
May 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM
No way would I ever work in a room without windows. I'd go nuts!!!!

alliek
May 16th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Wendy that is the pits. When you find a space to fairly comfortably do all the work they ask of you, then tell you to vacate is pretty tough. This has happened to me and I guess to all who work in a corporate atmosphere or any office. I don't have any quick fix, sometimes you are not in a position to "just say no" although you could try it. I agree with Barbara, the busiest people are asked to do the most. Sorry, hope things pick up for you!

WendyI
May 16th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys. I know I should be happy to have the job that I do. I love my work...when it's busy ...lately it's been brutal...and my job and the people I work with mostly...I'm not in a position to say no so have to just roll with it. Our building will be renovated in the next three years and hopefully I will have my own office once again with a window but we'll see. Thanks again for listening...I'm really grateful to have my job...it's just after 23 years you think you have enough seniority to warrant your own space kwim? LOL! OH well...I'll get over it and it will be fine.

Grandma G
May 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Oh, Wendy - I can feel your pain. You are so much like I was during my working years. The same thing happened to me several years ago. The firm hired a new associate and he just walked into my office with the managing partner and announced he wanted my office - and **** if they didn't give it to him. My fellow employees told me that they knew I would just do whatever they asked and of course, I had no choice. Also, the more you do the more they throw at you. I would opt for doubling up and get the window view. At least you won't feel crowded by a window with a view. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger but hey, would be nice to feel appreciated. Stay strong. BTW - A year later he was fired and I got my office back... :))

Hulamoon
May 17th, 2013, 01:00 AM
This is going to sound silly but it just kept coming to me. My grandmother once told me that once you take the trash out you are always going to be the one to take it out.

I guess she was trying to tell me that people take advantage. She told me that when I was really little. For some reason it pops in my head from time to time.

Evilynn
May 17th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Oh Wendy, I understand your pain! Luckily I didn't have to work for the last 2 years because Juha earns fairly well. I hated my jobs anyway. I worked in a big callcenter with no window the whole day. It's very depressing, I know. I would also double up and claim the window spot. Perhaps your co-worker is a very nice person and you actually gain something out of it! YOu mentioned that sometimes work can be boring because there's nothing to do. Well, then at least you have a chat partner :D I know it's hard to see the positive sometimes especially when there's a lot you have to deal with already. Feel hugged! :icon_hug: