PDA

View Full Version : I stayed nice, but the outcome wasn't so great

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
If you read Pam's thread about being nice I mentioned about getting a third property tax bill in Calif. I made the call this morning and had a glimmer of hope that this third bill was a mistake. The first two people asked if it was a trailer. The assessors ID # was different than the other two. Yeah it's a mistake!

My third transfer brought me to the tax collectors office. What a sweet woman. I said excuse me my cat is trying to scratch my leg and jumping on the paper work. She say's she has 8 cat's and went on about how they are God's messengers and they each have something to tell you. We talked for about a half hour about all sort's of things. Really sweet.

Well needless to say that didn't get me out of this third bill for $4840. Now I owe a whopping amount of $15,435. She gave me a direct # to go on a payment plan. At least I don't have to go back to that dang menu. I hate menu's lol

My title was supposed to say I stayed nice. I wish we could edit that!

SandyWhite
May 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Oh my ouch!

K. McEuen
May 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hehe, I learned how to do something new!

Have any of the people that you talked to told you why you've gotten 3 different tax bills? That just seems strange to me. I've always gotten one where I've owned homes, everything was combined on one bill. Sure was a lot easier to keep track of.

lilmouse
May 15th, 2013, 05:18 PM
That is strange..why three bills, only thing I can think of is 1. City 2. County 3. State......I have never heard of this!

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM
How did you change the title? How weird. lol

Well the reason is, is that even though I was paying the taxes they went back since I inherited it and did an adjustment for three years. Since she is just an aunt and not my mom, dad or children I'm just another person taking over the property. So these are all adjustments for increase in value. I understood her explanation of why that is when she told me but for the life of me I can't explain it.

If I go on this payment plan I have to pay interest. I don't know how much yet. I don't feel like talking to them anymore today. lol

K. McEuen
May 15th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I finally figured out on this post that as a moderator I can edit thread titles. I had tried before, but never got it right (and it was really simple!)

As for the interest, I would think that you would pay less interest to your bank if you took out a signature loan to pay off the taxes right away. I may be wrong, but the government agencies never seem to be the ones that charge the lowest interest rates.

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I forgot you were a mod. lol

This nice woman is sending me the paper work and I'm going to call this guy in the morning and then I can compare. Other than that I will have to take it out of my renters account. Well the bright side is that this is a one time thing and I asked what the taxes will be from now on. Not great but not too bad.

This has been a long three years. Taking care of her, renovating, renting. Seems never ending.

pcbatiks
May 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lorie, hope this all works out easily for you.

nyscpa2be
May 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Is this your primary home, or will you be using it as a primary or rental home? If you will, don't forget that the $15k in extra property taxes can be taken as a schedule A deduction (if personal property) or rental expense (if rental property), on your 2013 taxes. That'll be $15,000 less in taxable income!
I'm a MBA student, studying for my CPA :)

GuitarGramma
May 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM
You mentioned California. Sigh. California has this interesting government instrument called a "Supplemental Assessment. " With a Supplemental Assessment, the State gets to go back and look at different situations and levy property taxes each time a taxable event occurs. So you probably got a regular property tax bill and then two Supplemental Assessments.

If you can pay the property taxes over time, do so. The Federal Government hits you with the Alternative Minimum Tax if you try to deduct "too much" property tax in any single year. When we bought this house brand new, the county assessed it as bare land for three years and then hit us with a wow-ser of a Supplemental Assessment. I had known that the county had messed up, so I dutifully saved the money until they got their Supplemental Assesment right. Guess what? That extra $9000 pushed us into AMT and I couldn't deduct the property taxes NOR take my kids as exemptions. I paid a lot of money to the Federal Government because the County had messed up. Totally unfair, but legal.

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2013, 09:24 PM
It's a rental. Good luck on your CPA :)

One of these is supplemental from 2010 the other two are adjustments from 2011 and 12.

My main problem is that I haven't done taxes since I got the property. I did my aunts but I had so much renovating and traveling back home that I didn't pay much attention to it. I have a boat load of receipts for the renovation if that will help me. My only income is the rental and flying under the radar on Etsy. Oh and some Ira accounts that I'm forced to take because they were my mom and aunt's.

I really don't know how to find someone that will take this on out of state, so I have been ignoring it.

ilive2craft2
May 15th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Sure hope it all works out for you for the best. California sounds a lot like Illinois.....cash strapped and trying to find any penny they can get their hands on......

CrazyMtnLady
May 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM
WOW!

Can I say I am so glad I live where I do. When we first bought our land (just land) the taxes were.....a whopping $9.00 a year...yup...$9.00
Now with the well and the barn/garage and the house they have gone up to just over $100.00 a year.

nyscpa2be
May 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I really don't know how to find someone that will take this on out of state, so I have been ignoring it.

Here are some firms (google search) that practice in both states - they would be your best bet.

www.levinhu.com
www.yuda.com
www.paocpas.com

New York Sue
May 16th, 2013, 10:11 AM
WOW!

Can I say I am so glad I live where I do. When we first bought our land (just land) the taxes were.....a whopping $9.00 a year...yup...$9.00
Now with the well and the barn/garage and the house they have gone up to just over $100.00 a year.

WOW. Unbelievable!
Some around my parts pay $12-15,000 a year in combined school and property tax, and don't blink an eye...
CRAZY, right?
But Lorie, this was an inheritence, no?
I'd have a FOR SALE sign up in a N.Y. minute!

SallyO'Sews
May 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM
WOW!

Note to self: Talk DH into moving to the Missouri Ozarks...

Hulamoon
May 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Here are some firms (google search) that practice in both states - they would be your best bet.

www.levinhu.com
www.yuda.com
www.paocpas.com

Thanks so much! I will check them out.

Sue it would be a good idea to sell but I'm not in the mind set for that right now. They are good tenants and since they have been there they actually paid for this back taxes. lol

LOL Sally do you like the mountains?

janluna
May 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Note to self: Talk DH into moving to the Missouri Ozarks...

Too funny!!! I just asked my DH if we could move to the Ozarks! When I told him what the taxes were, he said "WHAT!?! YOU'RE NOT PACKED YET!!???!!

shannonsaulter
May 16th, 2013, 10:08 PM
We got three our 1st yr in our new home no where near what you got hit with..ouch!
I guess we can only deal with it...I would def ask about the interest

ilive2craft2
May 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I asked DH the same thing. How are the winters in the mountains? My cousin lives in Tennessee and says it is great there too....hmmm...maybe time for a change....