PDA

View Full Version : How do I say no?

Tanya D
May 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM
So I posted a picture of the Berenstain Bears quilt on my Facebook page. The lady that requested rag quilts for her clients saw it and asked if she can have one like that for her boy quilt.

I have a bunch of blue flannel bought, washed and ready for pressing. Like 16 meters of blue flannel....

The pink one she requested is complete, washed and ready to be picked up.

I am really not interested in making that quilt again. As cute as it is, I have realized I am not fond of sashing. Sashing the squares took longer then making the squares themselves.

WendyI
May 15th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Oh boy..that's tough. Maybe out price her?? Tell her that the fabric used for that quilt is tough to source and will cost substantially more than the ones she already commissioned you to make. If she knows nothing about fabrics you'll probably get away with that! LOL!

OR tell the truth (always best really)...that the quilt is must more challenging to make and will take more time and therefore be much more costly and you are not really interested in reproducing it. Maybe give her other options? Or maybe suggest something simpler still using the same fabrics.

mom4him
May 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
OR tell the truth (always best really)...that the quilt is must more challenging to make and will take more time and therefore be much more costly and you are not really interested in reproducing it. Maybe give her other options? Or maybe suggest something simpler still using the same fabrics.

This is what I would do. If she still wants the other one and you are willing, give her a price that will make it worth your while to do something you are not crazy about.

Suzette
May 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I think honesty is the best way to go. Simply tell her the truth - that it's not the type of quilting you enjoy and will have to pass on making one for her. I'm sure she will appreciate your being up front and honest with her (I know I would!) and respect how you feel. And if she doesn't, then that is truly her problem, not yours.

GuitarGramma
May 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure I understand the situation. The rag quilt lady just -- out of nowhere -- asked you to make one? Is she offering to pay you, or is this for charity? If she is offering to pay you, is there any price that would encourage you do repeat all that work?

Sorry I'm so confused.

Roxanne
May 15th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I would just tell her the truth - that that particular quilt is a lot of work and you have to pay someone else to quilt it and you would prefer to stick to the original arrangement of rag quilts. I don't see why that would upset her.

asta
May 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I agree, tell her no, if you need further clarification, just tell her that was a one time quilt and do not plan to make any more like it again.

Tanya D
May 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand the situation. The rag quilt lady just -- out of nowhere -- asked you to make one? Is she offering to pay you, or is this for charity? If she is offering to pay you, is there any price that would encourage you do repeat all that work?

Sorry I'm so confused.

Toni, she saw the picture I posted on my Facebook page of the Berenstain Bears quilt and asked if I could make another one as her boy quilt she requested (She requested a blue rag quilt and would like a quilt like the Bears quilt instead). I know she would pay me, that's not the issue. The issue is that I have already purchased blue flannel for the sole purpose of making rag quilts for her. I purchased a variety of fabrics (16) in hopes that she would purchase several. My bad I suppose, maybe I should have just purchased enough for the one that she ordered. Nevertheless, as I said, I really don't want to make that pattern again.

I paid $39 for the layer cake, $56 for the quilting, $30 for the white sashing (although I didn't use all 3 meters that I bought), then there's the backing fabric. Can't remember what I paid for that. To sell that and make any money for my time, I'd have to charge atleast $200 and that's not making much money for my time.

auntiemern
May 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM
A tough situation for sure. I would just tell her you have already purchased the fabric for the blue rag quilt, and the cost of doing the other one is prohibitive, in order for you to make a profit. Explain all the details so that she understands your predicament. Honesty is the best policy.

GuitarGramma
May 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Toni, she saw the picture I posted on my Facebook page of the Berenstain Bears quilt and asked if I could make another one as her boy quilt she requested (She requested a blue rag quilt and would like a quilt like the Bears quilt instead). I know she would pay me, that's not the issue. The issue is that I have already purchased blue flannel for the sole purpose of making rag quilts for her. I purchased a variety of fabrics (16) in hopes that she would purchase several. My bad I suppose, maybe I should have just purchased enough for the one that she ordered. Nevertheless, as I said, I really don't want to make that pattern again.

I paid $39 for the layer cake, $56 for the quilting, $30 for the white sashing (although I didn't use all 3 meters that I bought), then there's the backing fabric. Can't remember what I paid for that. To sell that and make any money for my time, I'd have to charge atleast $200 and that's not making much money for my time.
Ah, I understand better now. I think the advice everyone has given is good: be honest that you can't face doing another quilt so complicated. The only variation you might consider is saying, "I already have the fabric for the blue rag quilt. Let me finish that, then I'll see if I can face another Berenstain Bears quilt. It was quite a 'bear' to make!"

I'm sorry that you're in such a tough situation. It's really trying when someone asks you for one thing and then changes her mind. In your case it's downright awful since you've already bought the other fabric.

K. McEuen
May 15th, 2013, 03:34 PM
She wanted rag quilts first. She should be required to take one boy rag quilt at least. The extra fabric you purchased in hopes of selling more is on you if she doesn't want more of the same. That said, I'd just tell her that the bear quilt is probably cost prohibitive for her and is something that you really don't want to make again.

Iris Girl
May 15th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I would simply tell her it was a one time quilt and you don't wish to repeat it. Keep it simple

Tanya D
May 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will do as you have suggested and let her know that I have already purchased the fabric for the rag quilts. She hasn't even seen the pink one yet other than a picture. It didn't turn out all that big...but big enough for a crib. I also adjusted the price. I had originally quoted her $100 but once I was done and refigured the cost, I dropped the price to $70. Even that seems high for how big it is but I took into consideration the time I spent on it...they really are time consuming!

She appreciated my honesty when I dropped the price (I got the flannel for $4.50/m and couldn't justify charging her $100 after doing the math and figuring it only cost $20 for the fabric, batting and thread)

Thanks again ladies! So glad I can come here and get answers and advice. Have I told you lately how much I appreciate your input?!?!? You are all the best!

Momofmonsters5
May 15th, 2013, 04:47 PM
I hand it to you, this is exactly why I do not quilt for money

Tanya D
May 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
This is my first foray into it. I must admit, I'm very stressed by it! LOL I'm so worried when she sees the little quilt, she will scoff at the price.

grammakim04
May 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
This is the reason why I do not quilt for money....it's just not worth the headaches.

shermur
May 16th, 2013, 09:01 AM
If it were me and a person that I was close to asked for a quilting project, I always tell them they have to buy the materials they want and don't get in a big hurry for it. My goal right now is to get all my children's (5) quilts done and extra projects would be trying....good luck!

Tanya D
May 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately I have put my Falling Charms quilt on the back burner while I make these rag quilts...as well as a quilt for my mom. She's not in a hurry for it but I would like to get it done and out of my sewing room.

Iris Girl
May 16th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Gotta hand it to you, these are the reasons I don't sew/quilt for profit. People are never happy and never want to pay what your time is worth.

Tanya D
May 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM
So I replied to her post on Facebook that I was out of that fabric and that I had already purchased the flannel for the blue rag quilt. I didn't say I didn't really want to do that pattern again tho.

She replied..."Okay, sounds good. The next one can be like this."

Pretty persistant isn't she?!?!?

IBake
May 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM
She is persistent, but that is only part of the problem. Just as with children you need to be very specific. What you need to tell her is that you will not be making another one of this quilt. When you told her you were out of that fabric, she assumed that you would just order more. You need to say no very clearly. I have been teaching my hubby of 40 years this also. I tell him that what he says isn't what he means. With people like this lady, the only way to get the message to her is to be very clear...as in H*LL NO! :lol:

And good luck with that one!

Suzyq
May 18th, 2013, 01:22 AM
My, how we're all the same. The hardest word for me in the English language is 'no'....it,seems that we bend over backwards to please others while often putting aside our own needs and preferences then wonder why we're feeling frustrated and angry after all is done. I don't believe we need to charge less for anything we make just because we got the fabric or whatever on sale. If you add up your time, you're probably working for parking meter money an hour! Sheesh! No one needs to know... I stopped taking orders to sew anything after my first order from a friend.... My answer now is no, I,can't do that, but if I hear of anyone else who can, I'll let,you know. Some people try to wear you down by being manipulative and pushy ESP if they know you're a softy. Stick with what you want to do, it gets easier to say no...and you won't feel resentful that you'd rather be doing your own projects....

Iris Girl
May 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The other thing you must remember is there are different types of people, some are users, some are givers, some are takers.And if this lady has no clue about time and effort put into your beautiful quilts she will take and take and think nothing of it. I think you are like me and always want to please and would always do an exceptional job on something going to someone else. Others do not share this and would slop something together and call it a day. Just my thoughts and the reason I do not sew for profit. Too meticulous when things go to others and it takes extra time and care as opposed to letting tiny things slip when its for yourself.

Just a note, I find it much more rewarding to teach the skills and watch my students progress then to sew for them. Makes you feel really good when someone you taught to sew 20 years ago comes to you and asks if you still do lessons they want their daughter to get the same training they got :icon_happy:

SisterDi
May 18th, 2013, 11:31 PM
You can also tell her that you have other projects in line to be done after the rag quilt, and don't know when you will be free to take on another project you hadn't planned to do.

grammakim04
May 25th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Yikes, quite a response from her. I agree with your previous response..just complete her rag quilts now, get them done and out of your sewing room so you can move on to your mom's quilt and the D9 quilt - one's that you will enjoy working on.

Chalk this up to a great learning experience. Love the Bernstein Bears quilt :)

Kim