PDA

View Full Version : Today did not go as planned

Madeforyouinma11
May 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Well, as some of you might know, my plan today was to hit the grocery store then get back to working in my spare room getting it ready for my new granddaughter due in a couple of weeks. Well, I went to the store and picked up about $30 or so worth of things and when I went to pay, my card was declined....UGH. I knew the money was in there but wasn't sure what was going on. I keep just enough money in my checking for bills and groceries and misc. stuff during the week and everything else, thank God goes into savings. I knew the girl taking care of me as I used to work there. She was going to hold the order for me until I could figure it out and come back for it, but I just bought the two things that I really needed as I had enough cash for those. I went out to my car and looked up my bank account on my phone to see what was wrong and I almost had a heart attack! It said that I was $555.72 overdrawn! I looked at what was taken out and didn't recognize any of it. In my panic, I threw my phone on the passengers seat and came home. I pulled up the account on my iPad so I could see it better and my husband asked what was wrong and I said I thought we had been hacked! Sure enough we had...we called the bank and she looked at our account and we were on the suspicious transaction list. They were going to be calling us about it. There were six transactions plus two more pending coupled with the overdraft charges of $32 each we had nearly $1000.00 stolen from us! We had to go to the bank and fill out a form for each one and they will send it to those companies. They put the funds back into our account "provisionally". If any of those actually came back as my purchases, it will be taken out again. I'm still waiting for the overdraft funds to be put back in and I have to go back to the bank when the other two that were pending actually hit the account. I have to say it was a little unsettling knowing that there was nothing that we could do to the person that did this to us because there is no way to trace them. Anyway, I will go back to the store tomorrow and explain to the girl what happened. I was so embarrassed when I could not pay a small bill of $30. I want to reach out to the person that did this to us and choke them...lol. So I then tried to work in the room after but my mind was not in the right place. I was too worked up.
Oh well, not looking for any responses, I just wanted to let you know what happened and vent a little. Ya never think it can happen to you, but it does.....

ilive2craft2
May 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM
That is so scary! I wonder how much more they would have gotten away with if you hadn't found it when you did?

pcbatiks
May 14th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Wow Cil...........that's scary..........and you are right. It can happen to anyone. Hope everything works out at the bank and hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Mpyles
May 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Been there recently! I used my debit card at the gas station and it was a no go.... The took 800 out if mine, but like you my bank had caught on. It took about 10 days to clear it all up. And then about a month later I caught a 7$ transaction I missed...it was worth the gas into town to straighten it all out. My problem with it all was that my bank knew instantly that it was a fraudulent transaction...yet they let it go thru... I don't understand that.

auntiemern
May 15th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Had my account locked twice in the past year, due to suspicious activity. Thank Heaven that our bank is small and personal, and the really monitor debits and things. The last time was very inconvenient while I had to wait for a new card. UGHHH. Feel your pain Cil. Luckily, ours never got that far.

Madeforyouinma11
May 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM
It is scary. Our bank usually just sends us new debit cards if they suspect anything. Not sure why they put it through this time without calling first. Thank goodness they know our activity enough to know that it wasn't us that made the transactions. I think the only reason it stopped is because it got to the overdrawn limit. Had it happened on Thursday, when my husbands check gets deposited, they could have gotten much more....this paycheck will have his normal pay plus 37.5 hours of overtime! Yikes!!
My husband said that they bought all the wrong things for it to have been us...he said if they had spent it at a fabric outlet, he may have questioned me on that one....LOL.
Marilyn, I too have to wait for a new card...PIA but worth it I guess. Hubby and I will just have to use his until mine comes in.
It happened once on a credit card and they charged $900. The credit card company called us and credited all of it back. Crazy people out there will try anything.
I wonder if this is how the elderly get swindled...if they don't keep a close eye out they could take money from them and they may never know it!

lilmouse
May 15th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I am so sorry you have to go through this but thank goodness you caught on fairly quickly.

bubba
May 15th, 2013, 02:04 AM
My problem with it all was that my bank knew instantly that it was a fraudulent transaction...yet they let it go thru... I don't understand that.

I believe it is so they can prosecute in case the suspects are caught.

It happened to me right before Christmas in the midst of the buying season. They didn't bother to let me know they shut the card off and I found out when I called after trying to buy a bunch of stuff and the card being denied! Made me mad since I had been at the bank less than an hour prior and they could have told me then since they had flagged it. It was one way to save $$$!!

kensington
May 15th, 2013, 02:14 AM
When you eat out in restaurants, go with them when they run your card. Last year a waiter jotted down the numbers on my FIL's card, including the security code on the back, and gave the numbers to someone in Calif who ran up close to 6,000 in a day. The bank called him and shut down his account. Canceled his card and he got a low limit put on it when they sent the new one.

Its crazy what they are doing out there.

Madeforyouinma11
May 15th, 2013, 01:37 PM
This makes sense. Thanks for posting that. At least it's a very reasonable explanation as to why they let it go through.
I believe it is so they can prosecute in case the suspects are caught.

It happened to me right before Christmas in the midst of the buying season. They didn't bother to let me know they shut the card off and I found out when I called after trying to buy a bunch of stuff and the card being denied! Made me mad since I had been at the bank less than an hour prior and they could have told me then since they had flagged it. It was one way to save $$$!!

GuitarGramma
May 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Oh, how awful. Fraud is becoming easier and easier. That wouldn't be a problem if most folks were ethical, but at the same time that fraud is becoming easier, people are becoming less honest. Do you know what passes for "ethics education" today? At a local high school, it's defined as "being willing to compromise your position." Great! What happened to "being honest" or "returning excess change"?

We had a case of credit card fraud. I paid a medical bill with a credit card, and I was a bit concerned that the bill asked me to write Vdown the CVV code. I thought that if they got my signature, they didn't need my CVS code. This was a credit card we ONLY used for my daughter's cancer treatments, so I was a bit upset when I saw she'd charged $300 for Great America tickets on the card. A couple of days later, I asked why she'd done that. "Mom, I didn't buy any Great America tickets." I went online and found that now $6,000 worth of Great American tickets had been purchased. Chase was really great and didn't hold us responsible for even one penny of the chanrges. But I've always blamed that medical bill for asking for the CVV code on paper. That made fraud really, really easy for someone.

BTW, ever notice how many "discounted Great America tickets" are available on craigslist? Now you know why.

Madeforyouinma11
May 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Wow! That's terrible! I always tell my husband (who is a policeman) that I would never think of doing some of the things that people do....his answer to me is always " that's because you're not a thief".
Oh, how awful. Fraud is becoming easier and easier. That wouldn't be a problem if most folks were ethical, but at the same time that fraud is becoming easier, people are becoming less honest. Do you know what passes for "ethics education" today? At a local high school, it's defined as "being willing to compromise your position." Great! What happened to "being honest" or "returning excess change"?

We had a case of credit card fraud. I paid a medical bill with a credit card, and I was a bit concerned that the bill asked me to write Vdown the CVV code. I thought that if they got my signature, they didn't need my CVS code. This was a credit card we ONLY used for my daughter's cancer treatments, so I was a bit upset when I saw she'd charged $300 for Great America tickets on the card. A couple of days later, I asked why she'd done that. "Mom, I didn't buy any Great America tickets." I went online and found that now $6,000 worth of Great American tickets had been purchased. Chase was really great and didn't hold us responsible for even one penny of the chanrges. But I've always blamed that medical bill for asking for the CVV code on paper. That made fraud really, really easy for someone.

BTW, ever notice how many "discounted Great America tickets" are available on craigslist? Now you know why.

Momofmonsters5
May 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Must be in the water! Happened to us last month too. We're in Germany though so the bank froze our account on the first transaction. Sucked we got locked out of our account til the new card got here in the snail mail but I'm happy they pay attention

Divine Daisy
May 15th, 2013, 07:02 PM
This is a horrible situation, and I am so sorry you have had to go through it. Criminals think that this is a 'victimless crime' as they don't see the whites of your eyes as they steal from you and they know that usually what they have taken will be refunded.

They are wrong, there are so many victims in fraud cases like this. The shock of a card being refused, the difficulty in unravelling the mess, the costs to the banks which is passed onto the customer one way or another............I could go on and on.

It becomes harder every day to trust. In a recession this becomes more common and criminals find new ways to work the hacks every day.

Keep your chin up lovie and I hope you get everything resolved quickly.

Big hugs

Madeforyouinma11
May 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Thank you everyone for wishing me good luck and for sharing your stories.
Daisy, I agree, they don't feel like its a crime...it was very embarrassing when my card did not work but I was able to see them yesterday and explain. Thank goodness I know them, they were co-workers. Just wanted to post that everything that was deducted from our account is back in. Just waiting for the last 2 transactions that are still pending to go through and waiting on my new card.
This is a horrible situation, and I am so sorry you have had to go through it. Criminals think that this is a 'victimless crime' as they don't see the whites of your eyes as they steal from you and they know that usually what they have taken will be refunded.

They are wrong, there are so many victims in fraud cases like this. The shock of a card being refused, the difficulty in unravelling the mess, the costs to the banks which is passed onto the customer one way or another............I could go on and on.

It becomes harder every day to trust. In a recession this becomes more common and criminals find new ways to work the hacks every day.

Keep your chin up lovie and I hope you get everything resolved quickly.

Big hugs

EnumclawGramma
May 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I know Fabric Depot got hacked earlier this year or late last year. Lots of ladies on this forum (including me) got our credit card info stolen and used. My bank has a zero fault policy so they put the $$ back right away, but we had to sign an affidavit stating it was not our charge. I also know that gas pumps are a real popular place to put those card readers, specifically the outside pumps that are not visible to the clerk. I guess we're just in an age where we have to be hyper aware of everything we do with our accounts and keep a watchful eye.....

New York Sue
May 16th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I was hacked into last night, but thankfully my bank was right on it! Apparently, someone in Illinois tried to book a hotel room on me, and make a purchase at Bloomingdale's!
A new card is being issued.
DH's card was hacked into at the beginning of the month, for a purchase via PayPal.
It's getting SCARY out there. The magnetic strip used in the U.S. is antiquated and easily hacked into.
Something's gotta give!

GuitarGramma
May 16th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I mentioned this thread to DH today. He told me that yesterday both his brother and his sister mentioned that they had just had credit fraud hit their cards. This is getting scary.

New York Sue
May 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I wonder if all of this, of late, has to do with the $45 million dollar hack that was reported last week....
Watch your banking like a hawk!

K. McEuen
May 16th, 2013, 07:27 PM
My card has been fine since December when all that crap hit from Fabric Depot fallout. Sue has more upscale shoppers on her car. Mine was Peachtree Hotel and Walmart.com. Both times they got caught it was on the Walmart site though.

janluna
May 16th, 2013, 09:05 PM
We've been hacked too. Now I have a card with a 100.00 dollar limit that I use online. They got us at Christmas in 2011. They were on a shopping spree in Calif. Someone looked and said to her boss, this isn't right. This account is paid every month and charges are mostly from NY. They called and asked if we were using the card in Calif! Nope, or I wouldn't have answered the phone in NY. Thank goodness this lady was on the ball. They only got to 1500.00 before the card was rejected. However, they did get caught. They were dumb enough to use our number and name with a cashier who knew them. As soon as they were rejected, she called the cops. They met them at the door of Wilson Leather, when they left. And you are right about Chase. They were right on it. We were also told we do NOT have to give our CVS code out at a store. And if they insist report them. The same with online places. I didn't know we didn't have to give that out. Especially online. They are all asking for that code now. Thus, my $100.00 limit. We have a different card that has a much higher limit. We only use it at places we trust. And we rectify our checking account with out fail. We also keep our eyes out at the gas pump. The reason we got hooked is, I bought my DH a Christmas present online. It was a phishing site. So, I thought it was the real thing and gave my number. I also called the company that had the page and told them they were being hacked. It is scary that's for sure. Hugs, Jan

New York Sue
May 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
My card has been fine since December when all that crap hit from Fabric Depot fallout. Sue has more upscale shoppers on her car. Mine was Peachtree Hotel and Walmart.com. Both times they got caught it was on the Walmart site though.

Yea, right. Go BIG, or go home!...
Or how about to jail?