PDA

View Full Version : It Does Pay To Be Nice.......

pcbatiks
May 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I am a firm believer in "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Yesterday I had to call the hospital customer service dept. to find out why we got a letter to collect on a bill that I did not remember receiving (it appeared to be a collection type letter....never got one of those before so I was a little worried that I had lost a bill). They said they would send out another bill & were not sure what happened. I also called & talked to someone in the office that sent the letter. I made calls to dr's office, hospital customer service & sender of the letter.....the 1st two were helpful......the last one not so much....what she was saying just didn't make sense. But I remained polite through the whole thing. Today I decided to call hospital customer service again & see what else I could find out.....talked to someone different. She told me they had received an email today saying about 200 customers from this area had received similar letters by mistake. She apologized and told me....in her words "we've had a lot of calls about this and most of them not as polite and patient are you have been". I could tell by her voice that she appreciated that and it made me smile. I told her that when I was working I had been chewed out by customers about things I had no control over too............it can ruin your day & I still remember what that feels like............so I try not to do that to others. Chances are the person we are talking to is not the one at fault. Just thought I would share something smile worthy with my forum friends. :)

bkthomas
May 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Most Excellent!

Bailey65
May 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Yes it does Pam!

New York Sue
May 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I try to always be mindful of this...
Great share!

Ginny B
May 14th, 2013, 09:28 PM
So very true.

Ginny B

lilmouse
May 14th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Good for you...it is always nice to hear nice things.

K. McEuen
May 14th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have called customer service reps before and start out with "I know this isn't your fault personally and when I start yelling at you remind me of this." which starts the call out with both of us laughing.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Kindness and patience pays off:)

I got a third property bill from my house in LA today and I was saying what the h*ll? So I collected them all and decided to call in the morning. I almost posted about it, but I don't have an outcome yet.

Your post is a good reminder that I have to be calm when I make that call in the morning :)

toggpine
May 15th, 2013, 03:32 AM
My daughter has serious hearing loss and part of her speech therapy is covered under a grant. I was getting some huge bills that should have been covered by the grant. I was in a hurry to get someplace when I called the office to find out what was going on after the mail came and another demand for payment arrived. The gal I spoke to couldn't "find" our paperwork at that time, and I got snippy before ending the call. It bugged me the rest of the day. She didn't deserve that from me.
I called back the next day, when I had much more time, and asked to speak to her in particular. I apologized for my poor manners the day before, and explained that I shouldn't have called until I had time to work through the problem. She said in all of her years of doing that job I was the only one to ever call back to apologize for their rude behavior. She also said it was mild in comparison to some of the stuff she gets hurled at her. We found the problem and got it fixed.
Since then I only deal with her. We haven't had more than the normal amount of crap from the hospital billing, and she helps straighten that out as soon as I call her.
Speaking of which, I'll be seeing her tomorrow to renew our grant application. I think I'll take her some flowers from the garden! We really need that grant since the insurance only picks up 20 visits a year at about half the cost, AFTER we meet the deductible. (Don't get me started on THAT!)
But nice does usually pay off in the long run.

Iris Girl
May 15th, 2013, 05:35 AM
So very true!!

Monique
May 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I have called customer service on occasion and apologized right away for being angry and told the person on the other end I was not angry with them.

MRoy
May 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM
So true! During my career, I've taken many calls from angry clients whose benefits have been cut or stopped. I'm polite until the cursing begins. At that point, I tell them it's hard to assist them when they're cursing and ask them nicely to stop or I will end the call. If they stop, the call continues...if not, then I tell them I'm ending the call and hang up the phone. They often call back and are nicer the second time around. I had the option to hang up on the caller that many customer service reps don't have.

pcbatiks
May 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM
My daughter has serious hearing loss and part of her speech therapy is covered under a grant. I was getting some huge bills that should have been covered by the grant. I was in a hurry to get someplace when I called the office to find out what was going on after the mail came and another demand for payment arrived. The gal I spoke to couldn't "find" our paperwork at that time, and I got snippy before ending the call. It bugged me the rest of the day. She didn't deserve that from me.
I called back the next day, when I had much more time, and asked to speak to her in particular. I apologized for my poor manners the day before, and explained that I shouldn't have called until I had time to work through the problem. She said in all of her years of doing that job I was the only one to ever call back to apologize for their rude behavior. She also said it was mild in comparison to some of the stuff she gets hurled at her. We found the problem and got it fixed.
Since then I only deal with her. We haven't had more than the normal amount of crap from the hospital billing, and she helps straighten that out as soon as I call her.
Speaking of which, I'll be seeing her tomorrow to renew our grant application. I think I'll take her some flowers from the garden! We really need that grant since the insurance only picks up 20 visits a year at about half the cost, AFTER we meet the deductible. (Don't get me started on THAT!)
But nice does usually pay off in the long run.

Great story Cathy........that must have made her day when you called back to apologize. :)

toggpine
May 16th, 2013, 03:30 AM
It did.
I called to see if she was going to be in the office today before I made the hour trip, she answered the phone. You know how sometimes when folks ask for you by name, you get that defensive, "what now?" tone? She had it this morning before 10 AM. I can barely begin to imagine how her days must drag by sometimes.
Most of the garden flowers here were either tight buds or exhausted. I popped into the little Thriftway grocery store not too far from where she worked and picked up three sunny lemony-yellow gerbera daisies and a small bunch of alestromeria (inca lily) in a purply-magenta with yellow throats. The cashier asked if I wanted the floral lady to re-wrap them for me. I said only if it wouldn't be any trouble. When I explained why I was picking them up, Flora went the extra mile with fluffing & arranging them, wrapping them in pretty paper & cellophane, and tying it all up with raffia. The flowers cost me less than $10, and there was no charge for the "beauty treatment"!
They brightened more than one person's day in the office, as the receptionist even commented on their cheeriness. Miss B loved them and the "Thank You" picture Em drew for her.
Being the reason somebody smiles, even for a few minutes on a crappy day, is a fabulous feeling.

pcbatiks
May 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Being the reason somebody smiles, even for a few minutes on a crappy day, is a fabulous feeling.

Good for you Cathy...........the flowers were a great pay it forward! This made me smile too!