PDA

View Full Version : Fishtail

jsmetcalf
May 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Not a quilting question, but a general sewing question. In making fishtail style curtains, is the bottom edge cut on an angle or sewn straight? I made some previously with a straight edge, but it never draped right. I'm guessing that if the bottom was cut on, say a 45 degree angle, it would allow the curtain to drape in folds better. Anybody ever made these or have any ideas?

auntiemern
May 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I haven't a clue, but pretty sure Myrna would know the answer, as she used to make custom drapes. Maybe PM her :)

mom4him
May 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I have done curtains like this and yes, you need to cut them on an angle to get the nice angle look.

jsmetcalf
May 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I have done curtains like this and yes, you need to cut them on an angle to get the nice angle look.

Thanks Sandy. Is 45 degrees too sharp or should I go for something less severe?

auntiemern
May 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Thinking I meant to say Claire Hallman. It's one of them for sure, lol. Having a blonde day :)

mom4him
May 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM

It has been a long time since I have done this but I don't think I went at that sharp of an angle. I think I just pinned my fabric and then 'hung' it and adjusted. I think I shared here once that I have probably never really followed a pattern. LOL Sorry, not much help.

mom4him
May 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM

Ok, Judy, I just did a bit of playing with angle and I think I did mine closer to a 55-60 degree. You can always take more off but tough to put it back on?

Claire Hallman
May 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I replied to your PM.
Either no angle or a slight one would be best. So very true that it is hard to reattach something that was cut off in error.

quilter.martha
May 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I agree that 45 degrees might be too steep. Better to go less than too much.