PDA

View Full Version : Making cushions for outdoor furniture

coffeebreak
May 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM
This isn't about quilts, but it is sewing. I just bought a beautiful white set of vinyl wicker outdoor furniture..table and 2 chairs. I need to make seat cushions for it. I bought duck canvas so they will be sturdy and hold up. I am going to make the pattern with cheap muslin first just to be sure of the measurements, but...what do I stuff them with? I know foam rubber but my thing with that is that it doesn't look "fancy" for lack of better word. I looks kind of like just a square sitting there. But if I use batting like for pillows...before to long, it will be all smashed down from sitting on it so much. Has anyone made seat cushions for outdoor furniture? Care to share anything you know? Thanks!

Claire Hallman
May 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
The foam is a good start and then you wrap the foam with bonded polyester. This is sort of like quilt batting but thicker and sturdier. Cut your foam the size you need but cut your cushion cover only about 1/2" bigger then take a 3/4 inch seam allowance. This squishes the cushion so it fills out the cover and has a rounded rather than squared off look.

Sharyn J
May 14th, 2013, 04:29 PM
As Claire said, use some foam. You can get this at Joann's and Hancock fabrics. After you make a pattern from muslin, trace the pattern onto the foam, allow extra for seam allowances and thickness, and cut it. Some stores will cut the foam for you. You can use an exacto knife. I use my electric knife. Wrap your foam with batting: polyester works well. If your cushion is square, you can always add a little loose fiberfill to fill out the corners.

My sister had a wicker sofa and chairs that came with cushions. She didn't like them, so we added a thin layer of foam, polyester batting and recovered the existing cushions and added a piped edge. We used velcro instead of zippers. They're not hard to make, just take some time with the measurements.

Try to google upholstering cushions for more instructions. Here's a couple links to give you an idea:

http://www.upholster.com/howto/wicker-cushion.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5021634_make-new-wicker-cushion-cover.html

coffeebreak
May 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about wrapping the foam with batting. That would make it look nicer.