PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Hellos

Blondie
May 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Hello Folksies

I did not want to rise this morning and I surely to goodness did NOT want to shine. C'est la vie, right? I am still working on my first cup and it is almost 6 a.m.; Luscious left about 30 minutes ago and I am still grousing. Last night for some reason, as tired as I was, I couldn't sleep well. So, up I got with my pillow and headed to the living room. Turned on some TCM and watched Yankee Doodle Dandy, one of my fav's of all times, and then started watching Dog Day Afternoon, definitely NOT one of my fav's. Turned the channel on that one. Sooooo, when the big fella came to get me up by allowing the dog to jump on me, well, let's just say I didn't sound like my cheerful self. He thought it was hilarious. He better hope I am in a better frame of mind when I cook his dinner. And Gracie, the dog as well. Good grief!

Yesterday was a mixed bag of sorts. I think I neglected to mention yesterday that Mom had spent Saturday night in the hospital after a trip to the ER. Her face was so swollen and we still don't know why. I brought her home on Sunday morning. She felt fine, except for the swelling. Loads of tests were run and we are still waiting for the results from them. The dr's were thinking it must've been an allergic reaction to something but what is a mystery if that is truly the case. Yesterday morning I ran up the hill and then back down. Her face was looking like a moon pie again and benedryl was given. My day was running back and forth, as usual. No wonder I was over tired last night. I will be going back down to check on her this morning. A real bright spot in the day was a parcel in the mail for Mom. Our Karen McK sent Mom a lovely COC - here she is with it, sitting in her dining room; as you can see she has her machine out! She is like our Jean, a seamstress extraodinaire, and wants to revive her skills.

We were both happily surprised and oohed and aahhed over it. Karen, thank you for the love you put in that COC. To say that Mom was touched to tears would be an understatement. I gave her a big old hug from you as you requested. She is blessed to be an a Mom to anyone. And just so you know, she can squeeze the stuffing out of anyone within hugging range.

To those who mentioned about Luscious's black snake - I was upset that he killed it. I like black snakes and they are a good foil for mice, etc. He doesn't agree with me as he said he wasn't going to share his shed with one. Generally when I find the occasional king snake or black snake, I pick them up with tongs and carry them to the woods that surround us, and remind Luscious he should do the same. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen as long as he has a hoe, gun, or shovel within arm's reach. Since I do the hokey pokey whenever I see a spider, I can't say much.

Hoping that everyone has a wonderful day. Yesterday was glorious with the sun shining brightly. It was cool and chilly and this morning it is 32 degrees on my porch! What???? The sun is beginning to brighten outside as I type this and it looks as if another cool but stellar day is about to begin. Yays. As I have sat here, chatting with you, I have become fully awake and now all is right with my soul. More coffee, please.

Blessings, prayers and loads of hugs to go around. Of course, SMILES are never a shortage around here (unless you let the dog jump all over me doing the chi chi happy dance)

dwil23
May 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Good Morning All!

Sorry to hear Mom isn't feeling well, but thanks for sharing her picture. That quilt is beautiful, Karen. I neglected to mention in my weird weekend recount yesterday morning that my son also had a run in with a snake - either a water moccasin or rattlesnake tried to come up on the dock with him. Now those scare me and I don't have a problem with them being "taken care of". I was outside a few minutes ago and it must be in the low 60's or even 50's - feels more like December than May, but who's complaining? (NOT me).

Today I am missing my Mom a little extra. She left us 17 years ago today. In some ways it seems like yesterday, and in other ways it seems an eternity ago. Those of you still fortunate enough to have Mom around, give her an extra hug or phone call if she's not close by. Tomorrow will be my youngest son's 16th birthday. He was born 1 year and a day after Mom died. She told me several times in the months before she got sick that she dreamed of babysitting "Courtney's little brother". When I found out unexpectedly that I was pregnant, I had no doubt that this was the little boy she had dreamed of. We named him Corey (after Courtney) Lawrence. Lawrence was the name Mom had picked out for a boy both times she was pregnant and had me and my sister, so never got to use it.

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

MRoy
May 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Good morning! Blondie, I hope you can get some rest and maybe a nap today. Your mom's COC quilt is pretty. Karen did a great job. I hope her swelling goes away and she feels much better. I have to agree with LL about snakes. I am stupid terrified of them. There's no way I could pick one up with tongs..I'd probably have a heart attack first.

Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville (http://www.Quiltville.com)) is coming to my area next March to do a trunk show and teach a one-day class. I have a coworker in the guild that's sponsoring the event and she's going to sign both of us up when registration starts. I'm so excited! I don't know if my beginner skills can keep up but I sure do plan to try!

It's Tuesday...and I hope it's a terrific Tuesday for everyone.

Bubby
May 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Good Morning,

I have to make a trip to Cuba again this morning...dreading that. It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow. I didn't bother with any shopping yesterday, but I think I will stop at Kohls and see what they have in the way of summer shirts. Everything may be picked over after the Mother's Day sales.

We have to mow again this evening. Once we start mowing there's no stopping until Fall.

Karen, I can tell Ruth is thrilled with her COC quilt! I love the colors!

We saw the wildfire in Castaic, CA last night on the news. That's where both of our Grandkids live...please pray for their safety. I called them right away and DGS said everything was okay at the time. Still, these fires spook me.

Wishing everyone a safe and productive Tuesday. Hugs, Barb

shermur
May 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
This is ironic....didn't go to bed all night and still going...lordy today will be long! I just couldn't will myself to sleep last night. So, by this afternoon I predict my backside will be draggin' the tracks shut behind me! Yikes!

patchiereggie
May 14th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi All,

Blondie, I hope the find out what was wrong with your mum. I gave my mum a call yesterday evening after work, because she had a horrible mothers day. The cat went all crazy and peed on things like you wouldn't believe. My mums laptop is ruined and he peed on mums new quilt. She was so said you wouldn't believe. Seeing as my mum has very little, and also very little joy (I always admire how much she makes of everything), this is a d... shame! To say she was upset would be an understatement. She couldn't even talk to me on Sunday. Well one of my sisters and her went to the vet with the little evil thing, and it turns out he needs to be castrated. Well that will be done soon, so my mum will have more peace hopefully. All in all what I wanted to say is I miss my mum every day and try to make her happy as much as I can, she deserves a better life than she has right now, and she is always in my prayers. Once she gets her pension and doesn't have to live on wellfare anymore, I really hope that things will improve for her. My youngest sister has a tough time too, but she is staying with me at the moment and I am spoiling her once more. It's tough for me to see them suffer, but I do what I can. No sewing yesterday and today. Yesterday I did housework (argh) and today we go to the movies and watch the new Star Trek movie. Sorry I completely forgot where I wanted to go with all this - oh dear!
Maybe just this: I am thankful for Blondie's posts, especially todays. I am thankful for the ladies in this forum, and of course I am thankful to have a family to take care of. And I am thankful to feel something, because I almost thought I couldn't feel anymore. My soul is mending more with every day and just know you all helped. So I will go back to work now, break is over. I wish all of you a good day with lots of smiles, and my thoughts are with all of you.

GrammaBabs
May 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Oh what a cutie!!! That looks like the Hus machine that you just can't kill!!!! Is it a 1+... hehehhe I know several gals with that one..
I know where you are now, mentally and physically.... family is priority ONE always, but it does take it's toll...
Tonight we have our friends here for a dessert and farewell to my son who is moving out of state.. I for one will not rest until the papers are signed Wed.. around 11... he will stay another night after,, then pick up "Kodi" my "GrandDoberman" and begin the drive in his Toyota Pickup to Ft. Lauderdale to be with his buddy...when i see his face on SKYPE from FL... i will take that deep breath and pray that his new life will begin and he will flourish... (heck,, his 43,,, can i relax now)????
He made a wonderful collage for his Sis... which in turn she "took pics of the pics" and turned it into a wonderful coffee table book... boy, i finally did it... they are getting all warm and fuzzy over this family stuff... hang in there young gals.. follow thru and one day it hits them...:)
So,, hugs to all,,, i'm off to shower and try to conquer the day!! GB

GrammaBabs
May 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Bless you and your family.... sounds like a real challenge for all... but keep hanging around here... you'll not find more support anywhere.... Your in my thoughts.... Hugs, Barbara/GB
Hi All,

Blondie, I hope the find out what was wrong with your mum. I gave my mum a call yesterday evening after work, because she had a horrible mothers day. The cat went all crazy and peed on things like you wouldn't believe. My mums laptop is ruined and he peed on mums new quilt. She was so said you wouldn't believe. Seeing as my mum has very little, and also very little joy (I always admire how much she makes of everything), this is a d... shame! To say she was upset would be an understatement. She couldn't even talk to me on Sunday. Well one of my sisters and her went to the vet with the little evil thing, and it turns out he needs to be castrated. Well that will be done soon, so my mum will have more peace hopefully. All in all what I wanted to say is I miss my mum every day and try to make her happy as much as I can, she deserves a better life than she has right now, and she is always in my prayers. Once she gets her pension and doesn't have to live on wellfare anymore, I really hope that things will improve for her. My youngest sister has a tough time too, but she is staying with me at the moment and I am spoiling her once more. It's tough for me to see them suffer, but I do what I can. No sewing yesterday and today. Yesterday I did housework (argh) and today we go to the movies and watch the new Star Trek movie. Sorry I completely forgot where I wanted to go with all this - oh dear!
Maybe just this: I am thankful for Blondie's posts, especially todays. I am thankful for the ladies in this forum, and of course I am thankful to have a family to take care of. And I am thankful to feel something, because I almost thought I couldn't feel anymore. My soul is mending more with every day and just know you all helped. So I will go back to work now, break is over. I wish all of you a good day with lots of smiles, and my thoughts are with all of you.

Mpyles
May 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Good morning!

Not a lot of time this morning! Rough nights sleep here as well! Which is really rare for me, normally you could have a party in my bedroom and I would not hear it!

Prayers for your mom blondie as well as prayers for your gk barb!

Everyone have a great day!

Monique
May 14th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Good morning everyone. The sun is shining but it ain't warm. I had to turn the heat on yesterday. Today I should be able to pick up my new bed from Sears. So my job today is to get my bedroom in order. This may take all day. I quilted in the afternoon and after supper. I am getting this baby quilt done.

Blondie, you sure made me laugh about the snake and the gun and the hole in the roof. I hope your momma feels better soon.

Take care my friends. Blessings and prayers out to those who need them.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 14th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone! Interrupted night's sleep for me, during the interruption, I finished putting together a quilt top using Jenny's latest tute for the D9P with sashing. I used the charm pack "Snap Pop" ( don't know what happened to Crackle, Guess they left him in the rice krispies box), boy, is that a bright quilt! Practically glows in the dark! I like bright, but this may be too bright for even me! I'll take a picture of it when it is quilted, right now, I'm not that thrilled with it.

Blondie, hope your mom gets through her allergic situation with some answers and no more aggravation. My one friend is allergic to wierd things, she narrowed it down to a few foods, including grapes and pickles.

My daughter's children go to a school where the school nurse is also a parent of kids in the school. The nurse had a little boy 2 years ago who is so severely allergic to so many foods, he can't eat normally. He has a feeding tube, and has to be watched very carefully 24/7. There is a program available to provide a trained service dog for kids with severe food allergies, but it is very expensive. The community held a fundraiser last night at a local restaurant to raise funds for them so they could pay fo the dog ($18,000). I donated a baby quilt for them to raffle. It was very well attended, so I hope they got a good start on raising the needed funds.

I go back to work today without my mentor. I'm shaking in my boots over it! I feel like I did as a new teacher, very scared and hoping I can do what I need to do. Wish me luck.

Hope everyone has a nice day today!

Renate
May 14th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Good morning dears,

here it is half past 2 in the afternoon and I want to sleep. I just showed my boss (and DH) your picture and he said: than have a nap and enjoy it. And what should I say: I am going now.

I wish you all a wonderfull afternoon

MayinJerset
May 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Gee Blondie, Hope Mom's swollen face goes down and she finds out why it happened. She looks real cute with her COC and I'm sure she will very happy snuggled in it.

I'm sort of dragging this morning myself, ever time I woke up during the night I fell back asleep right away but feel like I'd like to snuggle in a quilt and take a nap and it isn't even 9am. Going to take Blondie's advice and Smile and get myself moving with today's stuff.

GinnyKNC
May 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Good Morning All,
Well as you can see I'm on line and not at work. They haven't completed the background check that started on the 6th. Now I've never been a bad person so it bothers me that it takes so long to do this. They only go back 7 years and I'm contracting with the same company I've been with for the past 18 months. So they just did all this 18 months ago. I turned down another position for this one and now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Every day that goes by is another day without pay. UGH
I hope everyone has a wonderful day full of sunshine. Prayers and hugs to those in need and blessings to all.

sewbizzy
May 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Blondie, I hope your Mom feels better soon and the swelling goes away....she looks happy with her new quilt...it sure is beautiful!

CrazyMtnLady
May 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Good Morning all. Sunny and cool this morning but suppose to be around 87* for the high. I am going to get some laundry done today. I am not looking forward to all the muddy clothes DH brought home from the rendezvous. :( We are not suppose to get rain here until tomorrow so hopefully I can get the clothes washed and dried today. Daniel has a gun show this weekend in Springfield and then he will leave for Michigan sometime next week. So I have to have his clothes washed and packed. He thinks he will have to be up there for about 3 weeks to get things taken care of.

We got our smoker yesterday. I am going to cook some ribs today if Daniel gets some wood cut up that is. I'll take a picture while the ribs are cooking.

Lots of things to do. So I better get busy!

EnumclawGramma
May 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Good Morning. I'm up but not quite at 'em. We had a storm blow through yesterday like I've never seen in May. Rain, wind, thunder and lightening! Quite the show. Calm and overcast now. Hoping the sun makes a return soon. I'm done with the wet stuff. We had our monthly cousin's dinner last night and I got a wonderful surprise...my Aunty Chris was there from Calif!! She was always quite the "glamour girl" in my memory, and has always been a favorite of mine! Such a treat to see her. :icon_bigsmile:

Today I'll be doing some frog sewing, I started quilting on my baby quilt and I'm just not happy with how it's going, sew.........rippit rippit rippit! This is for one of my favorite Nephews having their 1st boy (4th baby) and it's gotta be perfect!

My DD took me to the Quilter's Estate Sale for Mother's day.....oh my! Why does it bring such happiness to look at and touch beautiful fabric? I made a delicious haul and now need to start organizing my fabric stash in earnest!

I'm going to get myself another cuppa and work at shaking the fog off me. Either that, or go back to bed and snuggle with my MollieMae!

Hugs and prayers to all who want/need. Blondie.....love love LOVE the pic of your Mama! Praying for her today for sure!

KathieB
May 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Just checking in this morning to visit with everyone. I'm heading outside to work on the gardens. We're, DH and me, are making an earnest effort to get this landscaping wrapped up and not spend another summer working our a**es off. :icon_cool: I think we may actually get it done this year!

I hope everyone has a good day.

Sandy Navas
May 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hot, Hot, Hot!! Sun is out. Al's on his way to get gas for the lawn mowers. I've not got final instructions for the knitting bag project - she wants it HUGE . . . 24 inches deep, 30 inches wide - that's on one side. So, off to the drawing board. I did some work on my wonky houses yesterday but got called away before I completed the second one. Maddening that I can't have a day where I can gently close myself off and do what I want to do. Whine, whine, whine.

So, I'm off to see the wizard and I'll be back.

Sending lots and lots of hugs, special blessings, prayers where needed, and a grant of all your wildest dreams.

Cathy F
May 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Good morning all!

I'm embarrassed to say i'm still in my pj's at this hour of the morning but since having problems with my back it takes me longer than usual to get limbered up and moving these days. Hopefully in time it will heal and I'll get back to normal, or normal for me that is :)

Managed to get to the store yesterday and picked up some flowers for the garden (i'm sure DH will be thrilled to plant all of them :) ) and picked up some potting mixture and fertilizer for my orchid plant. It looks like it needs to be moved up to a slightly bigger pot. I'm almost afraid to touch it as it has rebloomed from last year, I'm amazed as I don't have the greenest thumb!

Hoping to get my neice's quilt sent out soon, seems I said that to myself at least a week or so ago, but wasn't moving too well so that that got pushed aside. I have another quilt class this Thursday for my embroidered quilt that I'm looking forward to. This class will concentrate on embroidering on triangles and diagonal re-hooping. I only did one block from the last class so I have to play catch up. Hopefully I'll be moving better to get up the stairs to the sewing room.

It's a nice day here,so I'm off to the shower then going out on the deck with a cup of coffee and listen to the birds sing, and enjoy the sunshine for a bit.

Blondie, love the picture of your mother and her quilt, both are beautiful! Hugs and blessings to all who require a few extra today.

WendyI
May 14th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Morning all...I'm sad today. My hockey team lost a 4-1 lead to lose 5-4 in overtime last night...so that was bad. But even worse news this morning.

A local area man from a city nearby (Hamilton) has been missing from his home where he lived with his wife and 2 year old daughter. He was selling a pick up truck and went to test drive it last Monday with two guys who were inquiring about it and never came back. Today they announced that they have found his burned body in the rural area of my city. This just does NOT happen in Canada...like hardly ever....so it's very upsetting and distressing. I'm very sad today for his family of course but also for what our community will lose...our sense of trust, neighbourliness, friendliness...just our ability to feel safe with our fellow human being. Breaks my heart.

auntiemern
May 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Good Day All. Blondie, prayers being sent for Mom's swelling. She looks so adorable with her new quilt. Karen, what a wonderful surprise for Ruth. I am sure they were both just overwhelmed. I have been having a great time quilting on my new machine. Have plenty of tops and panels to keep me busy. I will be excited when I get to piece on her, but the quilting is a joy. All boo boo's are strictly mine. Will have the grands again this evening, then off tomorrow. Tomorrow is a half day, then they will be out of school. The girls will attend summer school. It is called 'Summer Adventure' this year. Not like summer school of old, where you had to go if your grades were bad. This is more like a summer camp program. Well off to check the other posts, and get the binding done for the quilt I did last night. Hugs and Blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

Madeforyouinma11
May 14th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Good morning everyone.... Yesterday was painting all day and today will be the same. I have to to another coat of prime and then maybe tomorrow I can paint all of the trim. Also doing laundry and need to run to the store. Kinda cloudy today but should hit 60. No quilting for me and don't see it happening anytime in the near future. Need to get this room finished and then I need to clean my sewing room since everything was put in there....I have been working on basting hexies at the end of my days while watching Midsomer Murders on Netflix so that makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Well, I need to get a move on and get back at it....
Blondie, I hope your mom feels better soon..sending prayers her way
Wendy, that is terrible! What goes through someone's mind to make them do such horrific things? I will keep his family in my prayers.
Hoping everyone has a wonderful day filled with whatever makes you smile. Prayers and hugs to everyone.

Tanya D
May 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Morning all...I'm sad today. My hockey team lost a 4-1 lead to lose 5-4 in overtime last night...so that was bad. But even worse news this morning.

A local area man from a city nearby (Hamilton) has been missing from his home where he lived with his wife and 2 year old daughter. He was selling a pick up truck and went to test drive it last Monday with two guys who were inquiring about it and never came back. Today they announced that they have found his burned body in the rural area of my city. This just does NOT happen in Canada...like hardly ever....so it's very upsetting and distressing. I'm very sad today for his family of course but also for what our community will lose...our sense of trust, neighbourliness, friendliness...just our ability to feel safe with our fellow human being. Breaks my heart.

****, I was hoping they would find him safe and sound with a good explanation for where he was...how sad that isn't the case. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

It's a nice day here today...a little cooler than it's been but the sun is shining. They are calling for rain which I would welcome at this point. We have been under a level 3 fire ban for a couple of weeks now as it's so dry and the winds have been bad. This coming weekend is May long and we are headed to the lake and I would like to be able to have a fire! If we don't get some rain, that won't happen.

Eric is feeling a bit better this morning...well enough to go to school although he said he was only going until noon. Hopefully he feels better as the morning progresses and he makes it for the whole day. Miss a day, miss a lot...he'll be hammered with homework.

Happy Tuesday everyone...smile, laugh, love and enjoy your day.

K. McEuen
May 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Glad to see that the quilt arrived. I'm surprised Mom let you take a picture, puffy face and all, but then it may not be a bad thing for pictures, less wrinkles! Like I said in the note Blondie, you make sure and do for everyone else, I wasn't going to let your mom go without. She's been through a lot lately and I'm sure she can use the extra hugs.

kensington
May 14th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Oh it's late afternoon here... but wanted to chime in. Karen that is awesome! God bless you! May you get a God wink SOON!

We had such a busy weekend into yesterday, I was just exhausted when I went to bed last night. Slept in this morning and then did well, NOTHING for a while after I got up! So thankful for days like this, the house is quiet, everyone was here or passed through and our time together was so sweet. But, now... I love my quiet. I've been sewing most of the afternoon. Loving my Falling Charms quilt, it's so easy, comes together like BUTTA!.

Jean... if you see this... my sashing and border fabric arrived and I will be getting that done for you to see in just a day or two! Border fabric for Charms should be here tomorrow! Woot!

I also wanted to share with all of you why I am so happy happy happy! Mother's Day was good to me!