PDA

View Full Version : Goodness!!!

bubba
May 14th, 2013, 02:47 AM
The classes I have taken have all had set patterns and fabrics, so it was easy for me to follow. Yesterday, I started one of the braid quilts using the small hexi template and it is reallllly hard for me to decide which colors to place next to another. It's not because they don't look good, but I'm thinking a scrappy type quilt like this will be is not for one who has OCD to assemble!!!! Yes, I counted all the hexi's - 290 of them!!! I'm doing five rows of them with 58 in each row...believe me, I COUNTED IT ALL OUT!!!! (many, many times) :0

I am using a jelly roll that I bought back when this madness started. I had planned on using it for something else, but when I opened it on Saturday, I discovered it had only 29 pieces!!! Uh, I thought they were supposed to have 40! Anyway, once I get all my columns done, I will be putting a solid color sashing between them and work forward from there. It's the quilt I am making for my sister who just had surgery and will be starting chemo soon, so I've been working hard.

turena65
May 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Oh gosh... how frustrating is that? I too ordered a jelly roll on a DD, so, so excited to get it and get started on a quilt. I purchased an expensive pattern from a local quilt shop, and the pattern required me to have a 40 piece jelly roll. Well guess what? It only had 39. AAAARRRRGGGHHH! So, so frustrating. and because it is a special color/print and I wanted them all to look the same, i'm not sure what I will do now. Maybe order from M* a charm pack? I don't know yet. Because the piece I need is bigger than a charm. Anyway. When it says it has 40, and you NEED 40 and it is short, it's frustrating to say the least. I hope your hexi quilt will go okay for you. How sweet are you to make it for your sister; she is going to love it!

DCM
May 14th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I had a very hard time doing a turning twenty (I think that was the name of the pattern) and could only choose 10 fabrics rather than the 20 that the pattern called for. It was one of my first classes and I have to have things very even/balanced on a quilt. My instructor wouldn't let me "plan" the blocks -- she told me to stack each of the different sized pieces and as I made each block I had to use the piece on top of the stack. The only time she would let me swap out a piece was if 2 pieces in the same block were going to be from the same fabric. Stack your pieces up 58 per stack and make sure no two from the same fabric are side by side and then just go for it! I know what you're going through -- it was VERY difficult for me to make a scrappy quilt. Don't forget to post a picture. Good luck!

Mom23
May 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Which Jelly Roll did you purchase? I will check my stash and scraps and see if I can help you out.

Oh gosh... how frustrating is that? I too ordered a jelly roll on a DD, so, so excited to get it and get started on a quilt. I purchased an expensive pattern from a local quilt shop, and the pattern required me to have a 40 piece jelly roll. Well guess what? It only had 39. AAAARRRRGGGHHH! So, so frustrating. and because it is a special color/print and I wanted them all to look the same, i'm not sure what I will do now. Maybe order from M* a charm pack? I don't know yet. Because the piece I need is bigger than a charm. Anyway. When it says it has 40, and you NEED 40 and it is short, it's frustrating to say the least. I hope your hexi quilt will go okay for you. How sweet are you to make it for your sister; she is going to love it!

bubba
May 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Which Jelly Roll did you purchase? I will check my stash and scraps and see if I can help you out.

I have no clue!!!! It was something I bought off Craftsy a year and a half ago! I think with them all cut up into hexi's, it is enough now to do this design with, there just was not enough to do what I had wanted to do.

Thanks for your offer!!