PDA

View Full Version : SOOOO FRUSTRATED !

Hawaii Roxy
May 14th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I have started 2 quilts ,quit working on the 1st because it was puckering ,started a second using a jelly roll it also puckered (I was doing the quilt as you go I found on you tube) so I ripped it out and sewed my strips together BEFORE sewing them to the backing,1st seam was beautiful ,second puckered like crazy!!! Im sooo over this, nothing I do works ! I look at the forum and see children making awesome quilts and I cant even do a simple straight stitch sandwich quilt! UGHHHH!!!!!

lilmouse
May 14th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Don't know what to tell you....have you tried just slowing down on your sewing.....that's what it took for me to realize I was trying to do everything too fast! Sorry you are having so much trouble.

auntiemern
May 14th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I don't know why everything is puckering. Maybe you have your tension to tight. Should be around 4 or 5 for piecing.

Momofmonsters5
May 14th, 2013, 01:36 AM
You could be doing everything right but something is reacting wrong. Are you pressing? Sometimes instructions for quilt as you go skip the pressing and when your starting out pressing is important. Even finger pressing makes a difference

Sharyn J
May 14th, 2013, 01:40 AM
What QAYG tutorial are you using? There are quite a few quilt-as-you-go techniques out there and some are easier than others. Can you post a picture of your progress? Without knowing what technique you're using and seeing the problem, it's hard to advise.

I am currently working on a QAYG, each block sewn together, layered and quilted individually, then squared up and joined with narrow sashings. Joining the first couple rows goes pretty smooth but as the quilt gets bigger and bigger, it takes more time and patience to get accurate seams and keep everything flat and lined up. Don't give up on it. Just set it aside for now until you can identify what's causing the problem. Show us some pics. I'm sure someone has the answer.

Madeforyouinma11
May 14th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time...are you pulling on your fabric too much while you're sewing? That would cause it to pucker too.

shannonsaulter
May 14th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I'm always frustrated...this is so new for me..I know how you feel...but as long as I keep trying it will get better..

katier825
May 14th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Are you using a walking foot? It helps tremendously with puckers.

a1angiem
May 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Yes, like Katier825 I was going to say use a walking foot! Once you have the batting layer in there as well it works wonders! I love using the walking foot (in my case it's an attached even-feed foot) and I even use it for piecing.

GrammaBabs
May 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM
These above two gals are right...when working on things other than just simple 2 layer piecing... you need to invest in a walking foot,,, for me.. it took over 25yrs to convince... i used to make all my own clothes... but once i started getting into "layers".. i'd get the puckers,, OH, NO not me.. i don't need that "expense" , i didn'thave the extra to buy it.. but finally i got a generic at a reasonable price at JoAnn's with coupon.. FF about 20 more years.. kids grown, spoiling myself,, i now have "too many machines" and walking for for them all... heck i even bought one twice...
Like Angie,, i almost always have it on...
ALL that being said.. spend a little time with your "workbook"... you may have bumped your tension just a smidge and it's out of whack... clean things out a bit (i'm known for way too much lint and fuzz hanging around)... oil, do a few tests with your straight stitch and you'll be fine... Just don't ever assume you NEVER need to move any dials... Hope this helps... my mantra.. ALWAYS have your "book" right by your side when sewing... ya' never know!!! Hugs, GB

Doloris
May 14th, 2013, 09:00 AM
it might also be your presser foot tension it too tight. When you get multiple layers under the presser foot it is too tight to move the fabric easily.

Doloris
May 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
you might also check that your feed dogs are not full of lint. If the teeth are full of lint they can't grab the fabric to advance it.

quilter.martha
May 14th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Another problem can be this: is one piece of fabric the cross grain and the other piece the straight of grain? There is just enough stretch in the cross grain to cause problems if it is the top piece of fabric. Sometimes you can't avoid it (and with your strip quilt I would assume this is not the problem). What I do when I see my bottom piece being pulled up and "puckering", I rip it out, turn over the whole thing and sew from the opposite side. I hope this makes sense.

sassyquilter
May 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I was also thinking walking foot. When I have puckering that is usually the answer.