PDA

View Full Version : house broken in to

Staceyh
May 13th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I just thought I would share this....... My house was broken in to on Friday. They took a lot of things from my sons room almost got my large TV out of the living room. The worse things that were taken was my guns. The thought of them being in the wrong hands makes me sick. The one thing that made me laugh was when they went into my sewing room and did not touch a thing.

On the bother hand I don't want to leave the house and when I have to its hard to come back. We are going to put a security screen door on the front and side doors.

Why do people think its OK to just take things that are not theirs.

dwil23
May 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
So sorry to hear about this. I have never had my house broken into, but many years ago the office that I worked at was. It is such a weird, sick feeling knowing that someone came in like that. It was unnerving.

(((HUGS)))

kensington
May 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM
It's horrible. It's a sign of the times we live in. Liars and thieves are every where you go. Your home that should be a safe haven, must be guarded and protected at all times. Just the other day three convicts escaped from Lansing state prison across the state line from us, and lead the police on a high speed chase, wrecked the car into a yard, kicked in the door of the house, and had a stand off with police for 9 hours 1/2 mile from my house. I was getting calls all day as to what was going on and was I alright because it was on live feed on TV. I got a couple of Messages from here even. It's nuts.

We came home that night, DH would not let me out of the car until he searched the house up and down. Now he checks the door locks and windows at night, yesterday he went to buy ammo for our weapons. It's just crazy.

Hang I there. I pray the catch them. I pray you get your stuff back. And I pray you can feel peace again soon. God bless.

Monique
May 13th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Wow that is scarey. Maybe with the new security measures, you will be able to feel normal again.

pcbatiks
May 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Stacey.........so sorry that this happened to your family. Like Kensington said......praying that they catch them, that your things are recovered and that you will feel at peace again soon.

Tanya D
May 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Although my house has never been broken into, my vehicles have and it's an awful feeling. I hope the added security measures bring you some piece of mind.

How did they get in?

Staceyh
May 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM
They kicked in the front door. The new doors are going in today.

auntiemern
May 13th, 2013, 06:16 PM
That is horrible. Our house was broken into several years ago. They also took the weapons, including hubby's bow. All the electronics too. It is so very scary to have that happen to you. You feel totally violated and vulnerable. So sorry for you.

GinnyKNC
May 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM
{{{HUGS}}} I'm so sorry to hear this. Someone broke into our in Pgh back in 94. They beat my golden into a room and took a lot of stuff. We put a steel door on the house but I never did sleep well in that house again. The thought of someone going through my house and taking what we worked so hard for was horrible. And my golden was never the same either. I hope you feel better soon. I don't understand why people do this.

Musical_Starling
May 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Oh Stacey I am so sorry to hear that! I can't comprehend what makes people think it is okay to steal, I've even walked out of Walmart by mistake with something under my cart that I forgot about and ran back in to pay for it because my conscience wouldn't let me walk off without paying. The world is getting pretty scary :( I hope this never happens again and your stuff can be returned (especially the guns, that's a scary thought!)

shannonsaulter
May 13th, 2013, 06:37 PM
How horrible...hope you can recoup some of the loss with insurance...people just make ya mad with this kind of thing..

bubba
May 13th, 2013, 07:06 PM
One day when I came home from work on Labor Day weekend, while the rest of the family was up enjoying our lake place, I interrupted a burglary. I had parked out front and found the screen locked (did not open w/a key) so I was walking around the house to the back door. At the time, to get into our basement, you entered via an outside door. I was also talking to my husband on the phone while doing this. I went into the basement, got what I needed and was headed back outside when I heard the chairs in the kitchen moving around. Thinking it was our pregnant daughter visiting, as she did not go to the lake, I said something to my husband about her being in the house. I headed to the back door when I saw a black man coming out the window. In my meanest voice, I yelled YOU BETTER STOP BECAUSE I HAVE A GUN AND I WILL SHOOT YOU!!! Well, back into the house he went! Our house has double key locks, so there was no way he was coming out a door.

I'm running around the house screaming for anyone who can hear for help all while calling 911 (where I also happen to work). We had new neighbors at the time and the man was watching the front while I watched the back and north side of the house, when the guy went out a window on the south side and took off. Much to my dismay he got away and was not caught until three days later. Luckily he got away with nothing but my sanity. At the time, my husband was living elsewhere due to employment. I would come home from work at 1500, go in the house, lock the doors and not go back out until the next morning when I went to work. I would never ever go out if it was dark, unless my husband was home and it was with him, and sometimes that was iffy. It took me almost a year to get over this fear. Every so often, I would find new things he had gone thru and when I figured out he had been in my underwear door, I threw all that out. Then I figured out he had been in the bed and I slept on the couch for several weeks!!!

I was glad he had not gotten anything, and I was glad he got caught. I was also glad that we keep our guns locked and secured in a gun safe and he had been unable to gain access to that. I can not stress to you enough to get a gun safe. Not only to prevent some low life scum from getting access to your weapons which could be used to shoot and innocent person/policeman, but also to prevent a terrible accident from happening if someone came across one of your guns and accidentely fired it. Knowing the number of stolen guns that are used in violent crimes makes me crazy. Do we own weapons? Yes. Does my husband carry a gun? Yes. That gun is the only one not in the safe and is always on his person except when sleeping. I also have a gun (he has several) but do not carrying it nor do I have a desire to do so.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Your sense of safety will return. I won't lie, it will take time. But please, please, PLEASE secure your weapons.

Bailey65
May 13th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Oh Stacey I am so sorry! Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

Back in 2002 we built a New Home and was very eager to get into our new home. A friend of ours did the hardwood floors and had warned us that while he was there he thought somebody was casing our home. We had ALL our belonging boxed up and in the garage. We were hell bent on anyone taking whatever they wanted so.........we decided to camp out in the basement (floors had just been polyed). About 4:00 AM we heard something and where the plumbing goes up through the floor you could see that someone had turned the light one. Hubby grabbed a bat and flew out the bulkhead!!! I was shortly behind him..... He searched the house and didn't find anyone. So he and I were standing in the garage looking for the phone book so we could call the police and not have to call 911. The police arrived and started to walk through the house and low and behold our FRONT DOOR was WIDE OPEN!! We believe while we were looking for the phone book whom ever it was made a dash out!!! Scary......I had such an uneasy feeling after this moving into our New Home. I guess you just never know :(
We were lucky nobody was hurt and nothing was taken.

Hulamoon
May 13th, 2013, 08:54 PM
What a horrible and awful thing to happen ((hugs)). My moms house was broken into twice, once while I was visting. She said did someone leave the door open? She got steal doors after that.

Ginny sorry about your golden. I had one too and that is just wrong.

MRoy
May 13th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope the thief is caught and your things are recovered. But most of all, I hope you can feel safe at home again soon.

New York Sue
May 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM
We never used to lock anything. But once the economy tanked, we started to. Too many desperate people, was my thought...
But kicking in your door? Jayzee.
SCARY. I hope you get back to feeling safe again soon!

Mpyles
May 13th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear this. Just makes me crazy that people think what yours is theirs! Hope they catch them and if they don't I hope karma takes care of it!

IBake
May 13th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Stacey, my heart hurts for you. Stuff can be replaced, but the feeling of security is hard to replace. And you should be able to feel safe in your own home. We have had our son's Honda Civic vandalized twice in the period of a month. He said he never felt comfortable in it after that.

We have two alarm systems...one installed, and one a 110 lbs. of black Giant Schnauzers who sounds like wrath of God...but once you see him he growls from behind my legs.. :icon_shake: . He sounds a whole lot scarier than the alarm sound. You only have to feed him twice a day, keep him in chewies and give him undying devotion. What more could you want?

I hope you find comfort in your home soon.

SandyWhite
May 13th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Oh they don't think it's OK. They know its not. They just don't give a hoot. Sorry. I had a break in once. I know how you feel. The good news for me was that my Dane ran up from the basement and took a chunk out of creep.

New York Sue
May 13th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Now, that's KARMA!
WOOHOO!

nanaleslie
May 13th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Yes we had our home broken into years ago, about a month before Christmas. All the presents I had bought and wrapped were stolen also with other things. The feeling of being violated is the hardest to get over. It sure does take time. Good luck to you and I hope they catch the person. :icon_bigsmile:

bubba
May 13th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Make sure you visit and call around to your local pawnshops. Chances are you will find your things there or on Craigs List.

lilmouse
May 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I am so sorry to hear this...and I live three blocks away from the "ghetto". We have steel doors and dead bolts and we use them....have had stuff stolen from the yard (nothing major) but never from the house! Also keep all the cars locked as well. Sassy helps as she can wake the dead barking when she hears something.

Staceyh
May 14th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys for the info.......I just got the security doors on now. And it makes me feel better my hubby works a week on then a week off. For some reason they left my 9 mm hand gun so I got some ammo. SK with the doors and ammo I feel a lot better

nana margaret
May 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I really sympathize with you, our house was broken into five years ago while we were out grocery shopping, we disturbed him when we got back and he fled but not before taking some small things with him. It's the worst feeling in the world knowing someone has been looking through your things and makes you feel totally violated. Luckily the police were able to lift his prints from a plastic sack he had ready to put things in and they caught him. These people sell them on to finance their drug habit, they have no morals whatsoever and sentiment just doesn't play a part. Like you we increased security but even now I always dread coming back to the house when we've been out. I hope they catch your burglar and manage to retrieve some of your property. So sorry this has happened to you.

Grandma G
May 14th, 2013, 09:52 AM
My husband and I live in a small community where we haven't had many break-ins until the last year or so. We decided to install a monitored alarm system and feel better about leaving the house. Twenty years ago we had our car stolen while we were in a movie theater. The scary part was that my purse was locked in the trunk - with my set of house keys and the keys to our other car in it. After getting over the shock that this had happened was the terror that whoever stole the car now had the keys to our home. The police met us at our home just in case... The first thing we did was to have the locks changed but it was a very long time before the sense of violation subsided. I had no sense of regret when we moved a couple of years later.

In another part of our community there was a break-in at a home that was on vacation watch. One of our police officers turned the corner on the street just as one of the suspects was walking from the house carrying an armload of stolen items. He didn't even make it to the get away car before being arrested. That was a few months ago. He just went to trial, was convicted and sentenced to 20 years. We all know he won't serve 20 years but it is a lot better than being sentenced to 5 years and serving 2. His girlfriend, the driver of the get away car goes to trial in July.

These are the kind of sentences that need to be handed down. It just infuriates me that someone thinks they have the right to what I have worked all my life for just because they are too lazy to do the same. Ugh!!

I am sorry this happened to you. Your sense of security will return but it will take time.

MayinJerset
May 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM
What a scary feeling. All this alerts me to make sure our house is locked when we go out, sometimes if we go out for just a short while we might leave the front door unlocked but from now on I'm taking no chances.

Never had a break in but last year someone went through our cars as we found contents of glove compartment all over the floor. Police said kids were going through unlocked cars at night looking for GPS, cell phones, Ipads, and whatever else they could pick up. We don't leave any of that stuff in our cars but now make sure they both are locked.

CrazyMtnLady
May 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM
How horrible to have that happen to you. I am so glad we have a security camera system on our property. We can pop in a tape and record everything while we are away. It also is nice that we are so far out in the boonies that we don't get much traffic. And our neighbor Mike keeps an eye on things when we go away. He doesn't leave if we are gone.

Losing the guns is a terrible feeling. DH has so many and since black powder guns and supplies is what he does there are a lot of things here. That is one reason I stay home when he has to go away too.

Hope they find the ones that did this to you.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I have a curious question. Did the police ask for the serial numbers to the guns? Maybe I watch too much CSI and Law and Order but I would be afraid for you if they were used in a crime. I know that's what your worried about.

Tanya D
May 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
My husband's jeep was stolen while it was in my possession. I hated that jeep, but I had to drive it that night as he needed my truck. When I came out of my yoga class, it was gone. It was snowing like the dickens that night and I could see the tire tracks. I had just missed them. I had just gotten my "new to me" truck that very day so I thought maybe my husband had come and switched vehicles with me...although I knew in the back of my mind he wouldn't do that. I called him and asked him if he had come and gotten the jeep and he said "No." I said, "Are you sure??" He kind of chuckled and said he thinks he would remember if he did. I said, "Well, the jeep is gone." He didn't believe me.

I went back inside while I waited for him to get there and asked if they had a camera on the parking lot. They did but weren't in a position to view it. It wasn't until the next morning that someone took a look and got the whole thing on camera...including the car that dropped off the kid that stole the jeep. The cops were too busy to watch the tape and they never did do anything about it. The jeep was recovered 8 days later in Calgary. A little worse for wear but otherwise fine.

The tape showed that I missed the kid by a mere 5 minutes. Not sure what I would have done had I stumbled upon him in the middle of breaking into the jeep. He had a screwdriver in his hand as that is how he popped the lock.

I got a compliment from the ordeal. I guess when I came in and asked them if they had a camera on the parking lot and told them my vehicle had been stolen, I was quite calm and nice. They had just finished being berated by a guy who had lost a quarter in the candy machine. They mentioned that to the supervisor and he passed it along. I laughed and said that I had just gotten out of a yoga class...I was a wet noodle and just wanted to go home. LOL

Staceyh
May 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I have a curious question. Did the police ask for the serial numbers to the guns? Maybe I watch too much CSI and Law and Order but I would be afraid for you if they were used in a crime. I know that's what your worried about.

Yes they did ask and I gave them the serial numbers. They also said since I reported them stolen at 10 a.m. that I'm not responsible for anything after that time so that makes me feel better. But I just hate the thought of my guns being out there in their hands.

Staceyh
May 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone for all the story's. I do feel a lot better with the new security doors on. My husband works off shore. He will b gone for a week then home for a week. So when he leaves its going to b hard. My 14 year old son told me not to worry he will take care of me. I'm sure the people that did this is on to the next house and I hope not looking back.

GuitarGramma
May 14th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Stacy, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. The worst that's ever happened to me was someone broke a row of our Christmas lights, and with just THAT I felt violated. I can't imagine what you're going through.

I'm glad you told the police about the weapons that were stolen. California has a new law on the books that makes YOU responsible if you don't report the theft of a weapon and it's used in a crime. Well done.

sewmuch2learn
May 14th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. My home was also broken into a few years back, and had the exact same feeling of not wanting to leave because I'd eventually have to come back. I wish I could give you advice on how to work through it, but I don't have any. I just know that I had to keep leaving to follow through on my obligations, and I eventually became less anxious. Have faith in your survival skills and pray that those guns fall into the hands of the "right" people.

SuzyQue
May 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I am so sorry that you are having to endure this violation to your privacy and security. We live in a farming community and it seems every spring and fall, the home burglaries go up......the farmers get busy in the fields and the bad guys know the houses are less occupied. We lock and bolt everything on our farm, as we were originally raised in the city. It can happen anywhere, any time, but it is so senseless and ridiculous!

alliek
May 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM
So sorry to hear this stacey (())). This is so sad and scary. My DD recently called in a plumber to install a faucet, she got him off of Angies List in her area. He comes with a young man and does a nice job, she tells him about her burner, they all go to the basement, the young man asks to use the bathroom she directs him upstairs to the kitchen. After they both had left she discovers her beautiful gold and diamond ring was gone off of the ring holder on her microwave in the kitchen. She is so upset. She did call the police and the plumber back. Here's what I think strange, the plumber apologizes profusely and offers to pay her for the ring!! She refused, said nothing could replace the ring and she has insurance on it. Why would he offer to pay for it? He doesn't know her either. Somethings funny here. It makes you sad that you have to be on high alert when dealing with anyone, I hope your new doors make you secure. God Bless

Mchelem
May 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
And this is why I have an alarm and cameras at my home and my office. I can view my cameras from my phone, ipad or computer and can set/unset my alarm the same way- I can even alert the police without even being home if I see something suspicious.

Its sad that we've had to come to this.

alliek
May 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM
So true Mchelm, it just seems the only way to go now.

Pattycake
May 15th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I"m so sorry to hear this. I hate to hear about the burglary, but losing the guns is really bad. My parents' house was broken into many years ago. The window in the kitchen door in the garage was broken, and they reached in and unlocked the door. Another house down the street was also broken into, but a hole was cut in the roof to get into it. We have a security system on our house and are about to add cameras that we can view via computer wherever we are. You can't take any chances.