PDA

View Full Version : Middle of May Monday

Blondie
May 13th, 2013, 06:56 AM

Happy Monday Folksies!

Briefly reading and scanning some of the posts from the weekend show me it's been eventful and busy for many.
Donna, my most heartfelt condolences to you and your dear man. Hugs to you. And Wendy! I heard about snow in Canada yesterday. brrrr. We had a cool breezy day here. For a brief period of time I could take my sweater off. While we normally have a big cook out on Mother's Day, we didn't this weekend. Work schedules and viruses took it's toll on my happy little clan. We will all gather this next weekend at my DD's.

Today I am hoping to get in the basement for a while. I need to meet with the nurse and physical therapist down at Mom's for an update on her progress. And sometime this week I absolutely have to get outside and weed at my own house. Yes, I know I weeded a few weeks ago. We've had so much rain, the weeds have just leapt all over. Those yucky cicadas are starting to emerge everywhere, clinging onto EVERYTHING. Once it really warms up, their screeching will commence.

Bubby, Luscious killed a big black snake in his work shop. He had been in and out of all day Saturday and towards the end of the afternoon, he said something told him to look up. There in one of the beams was a coiled up and lazy, unsuspecting snake. He went in, got his gun and not only killed the snake but put a hole in his roof. He patched that hole quickly.

Nothing much else to say except that all of y'all are in my thoughts, prayers and heart. Let's all strive to make this week the happiest week of our life.

dwil23
May 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Good Morning!

Well, it's been an eventful weekend for sure. It started when I arrived for work on Friday night about 8:30. I noticed some "police activity" in the front by the lobby. I went in, not thinking too much of it, only to find out a few minutes later that we were being evacuated due to a bomb scare. Seems someone left a suspicious package in the lobby, it made it's way to the Nixie area I start the night in and then out to the front parking lot. (It was discovered by none other than Larry, our recent Jeopardy contestant mailhandler.) After three and a half hours of siting on hard pavement, the robot blew the package up and we were allowed to return to work. Nothing like starting your day three and a half hours behind! The rest of the weekend has been a sleepless blur. All I want to do is go to sleep for at least five hours. Please?

On Saturday, we placed on of our long term Foster dogs in her furever home. A young single man adopted her after loosing his dog a few weeks ago. It was love at first sight for both of them! We will miss our sweet Jetta, but I am ecstatic that she is going to a home where she will be loved and spoiled rotten. She came to us in November of 2011 - sick, malnourished and heartworm positive. She had to stay in her crate except for being walked twice a day for nearly a year because the heartworms were so bad that any overexertion could have killed her.

Mother's Day was nice - my kids cooked for me, but didn't get much sleep. I did experiment with a circle for my first COC quilt while I was waiting. We had dinner and then off to work again.

I truly hope to get some sleep today. Hope everyone has a blessed day.

Bubby
May 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. My daughter and grands all called and we had a long chat and lots of laughs. The rest of the day was lazy and sunny.

I got the borders on my DGSs birthday quilt and the backing is ready to go. My next trip to the quilter and this and hopefully one or two more tops will go with it. I need to get my stacks of UFOs under control so I can start new projects.

I have to make a trip to Cuba today to check on the status of a tenant who was told to move out. I have a feeling she hasn't even begun her move. If so I will have to get the Sheriff involved.

I love the DD today, so I bought it to add to my stacks of someday projects. I plan to make the Windowpane 9 Patch with the strips in dark teal.

Let's remember all our members with loved ones who are ill and those who have lost loved ones. My prayers are with you.

Hugs, Barb

CountryHut
May 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Good Morning Dear ones

"Make It" a good day

buckeyequilter
May 13th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Have a wonderful Monday!

Prayers & hugs

Mpyles
May 13th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Good morning!

Well the week off went waaaaay to fast and I am back go work today! I am trying to be positive! Positive I don't want to go...lol.

Had a restful day yesterday day. Cleaned up a little more of the party stuff, put the tables a way. I thought about sewing..as it had been all week, but my neck and shoulders hurt so badly yesterday that I decided to for go it for the day. Much better this morning.
My dd and I, as well as my brother and his 2 kids took my mom out for an Italian dinner last night. It was a fun time!

Well......I guess I better shake a leg and get going! blondie, hope your family gets backed to normal soon. Dwil23 glad to hear all went well during your bomb scare...that is just crazy! Barb, I don't envy you having to evict someone. People are crazy...be careful!!

Everyone have a great day!!

MRoy
May 13th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Good morning! It was a quiet weekend here. I napped more than I have in some time so I hope I'm rested up.

Snakes...EWWWW! LL's encounter sounds similar to one I had a few years ago in my utility room. Except my black snake was on the floor and I brushed my foot against it in the dark. Much screaming and dancing ensued when the light was turned on. The snake got away and I swore to never go into the room again until I knew it was dead. The next day it was back so DH took a gun in the room and shot it. To quote him, "I killed the snake but I shot the washer drain all to h*ll." The critter had been crawling through a tiny crack around the washer drain pipe. The pipe was fixed with all cracks sealed against snakes!

Hope everyone has a good Monday!

Monique
May 13th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Good morning everyone. I slept till 7 this morning. WooHoo. It does feel a little strange sitting here at this hour. I had a busy weekend indeed. I worked Saturday morning, went to a quilt show in the afternoon, and dinner in the evening. Yesterday the only thing I did was put away winter coats and hats which I should have left out as we got *****SNOW****** last night. What the *hay* is that all about.

I did get into my sewing room yesterday. Just looking for stuff and cleaning a little bit. Had a nap and then got the call to have dinner at friends. What a lovely day I had. Both boys called which is always nice.

Not sure what today will bring. I have so many things I want to do. I should make a list.

Prayers going out to those who need them.

Have a wonderful day friends.

shermur
May 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Goodness the weekend went fast! Back to work today! Mother's Day wasn't a total bomb; you know how you ask your family to support your desires and it comes back to you that it is an obsession? In fact, hubby commented yesterday that my gray/white hair growing out was making him feel old....wasn't sure how to perceive that. Then, when I took my youngest to go swimming at an indoor facility yesterday, it was insinuated that I was her grandmother? I almost went out and bought a box of hair color and then thought...no I am not! I have already accepted the fact that I am 48 years old and I have earned everyone of my gray hairs. I have taken on the Jamie Lee Curtis attitude that I am who I am. I should be proud of who I am and what I accomplish! Am I looking at this all wrong? I don't think I am......:icon_heh:

CrazyMtnLady
May 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Morning to all. The birds are singing and we have a Hummingbird at our feeder as I speak. I cleaned it yesterday and filled it. We turned on the audio to our security camera and so the birds songs are coming through loud and clear...but then so are the cows from across the road. The sounds seem to be very relaxing for Daniel. He will be heading to Michigan some time next week to start helping his step-father with everything. We will have to get another load of hay in from the neighbor's barn so I have enough to feed the critters while he is gone. As well as get a few groceries so I can eat.

Our Texas friends should be here soon to drop off our smoker. That thing is big. We are probably going to paint it with stove black paint. right now it is not that pretty to look at. But I will post pics later.

Have a beautiful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

kelliedi
May 13th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Sherri i have adopted that attitude about my hair too. I have been called Grandma to my kids and was thinking about coloring it but then i think "why? everyone has seen you with the grey hair . I too am only 47 will be 48 in the fall. My grandmother colored her hair until she passed and it didn't look natural.

quilter.martha
May 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Morning all! Blondie, your story of the snake is going to give me nightmares. I don't mind snakes generally, as long as I know they aren't poisonous. But in the house or garage, NEVER! When I was 13 I came within 2 steps of stepping on a sidewinder in the deserts of S. California. Scared me to death--it blended in with the dirt road I was walking on. Uuuugggg!

I'm heading off here in a few minutes to visit a shop in Maine called Mardens. I'm looking for the right shade of yellow for making valances in my sewing room. So far I have had no luck finding what I'm after, and I know many on the forum like this store. I've been there only once and wasn't impressed. Today will be a second chance....

Have a great day everyone!

MayinJerset
May 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone, pretty chilly here but thankfully no snow!

I had a very nice Mother's Day, Saturday mini rose bush arrived from DGD Mary in CA and DS#1 and wife visited in the evening with some lovely plants. Sunday DS#3 in CA and kids called and later DH and I had a lovely Mother's Day brunch at DGD Catherine's with her Mom, Dad and Boyfriend. Lovely bouquet of spring flowers and outdoor plant were my gifts - they all know I love flowers. Surpise gift was DGD Christine who fllew in from her new home in New Orleans. Her DH loves his new job and she just was hired at an ER RN for New Orlean's largest hospital. These 2 DGD have always been on the ball with their education and careers.

Coasted along not doing much last week so we set up appointments for today. Comcast was already here with a new cable box that should fix the problems we've been having. Funny thing another serviceman was next door doing the same thing. That should keep DH from saying I was hearing things when the background noise was louder than the actors speaking. 9am and contractor isn't here yet so that's not so good as no work will be done today. I so want to get this work done so we can paint and straighten up the house. Should have last border on DGD Mary's quilt this morning and then will prepare it to send to quilter. This afternoon DH and I have to attend to lots of paper work that has piled up. Most have to do with us getting reimbursed from Health care carrier and the Internal Revenue - so that means lots of copies of everything along with lots of swearing by DH.

Martha good luck at Mardens. I've only been there once and liked the large selection and the price for the qualtity quilting fabrics but didn't check out other types of fabrics.

bubba
May 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM
You women and the snakes!!!! I am serious when I say, I would leave the house, not even taking anything out of it and start it on fire as I shut the door!!!!!! I don't even like to see a picture of one, let along read about them! I feel creepy crawlies all over my ankles!!

As much as I wanted to sew yesterday, I didn't get to. I got off work at 1500, went to Joanns to get my 50% off purchase, went home and cut up chicken to get it marinated for dinner. Then I had to wake up the husband who works graveyard so we could run out to my moms and visit real quick. Left there at 1700, heading for home so we could cook and I could get in bed fast since I had to get up at 0200 to be to work by 0300 :o Well, halfway home, I decided we should go out and have the chicken tonight instead. I just remembered a short time ago that our oldest daughter is taking us out for mothers day tonight, so that chicken will be good and marinated by tomorrow!!!!

I sure want to go home and take a nap when I get off at 1100, but I have the Survivor finale to watch. I'd like to see it before someone slips and tells me who won!

Have a great day,
a sleepy Pat trying to stay awake.....

GrammaBabs
May 13th, 2013, 10:37 AM
You go girl... let that hair go if that's what you want.... i do not color my hair and wish it would get gray faster... i think grey is beautiful.... i've earned each and everyone of my wrinkles and ripples (lord knows they have added up)... and do not let anyone make you "all about them"... they will get it soon enough...hehehehehe... I'm 66 in June... my Dad had a saying... poor guy ended up with 1 leg gone and many other issues... but what a doll... at DD's Wedding people came up to him in his wheelchair and said..."Hey Tom... you look great...his answer...."Hey,,, i'm not OLD,,, i'm just "used a lot"!!!! :) That my Dad
ps... love Jamie Lee!!!

Granny Judy
May 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Sharing the beautiful Blooms with all Mothers . I love the Red container and will be recycling it!!
It is a bit chilly here this fine week end. But the big flower pots out front are filled and blooming with lots of color.

I will be cutting out and sewing a pair of Pantaloons this week then maybe I can get back to some quilt sewing. Will be glad when the temps allow me to sit outside more.. and use the HOT TUB!! It's all clean and ready for me. But that Chill in the Air keeps me from enjoying the jets of HOT WATER. Maybe later this week??

Hugs to all and prayers heading out to all in need.

Sandy Navas
May 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
And then there was the year I turned 29 and my MIL asked how old I was. When I told her she giggled and jumped up and down "Oh, GOOD, we're the same age!" Internally about 25, externally . . . who knows. But, anyone who is worried about wrinkles just recall what Maxine says - forget the bra and let the sagging boobs pull the wrinkles out of your face. Works for me. I'm always mistaken for being much younger than my chronological age. Of course, DD seems to think I am much older than I truly am and thinks I need special care (as in assisted living . . . )

Quiet day yesterday. Oldest DGD was here for most of the afternoon. She can be difficult more than not. She sure left in a SNIT.

Laundry staring me in the face today - that is if I can even manage to get there and sort. Some major cleaning in parts of the house I inhabit - the rest . . . clean up after yourselves is my new motto.

And so, with all my complaining going on, I'd best get off here and make haste. The sun is shining and it is COLD outside. When is the weather going to cooperate with what we need and want?

All the usual prayers being said, good wishes going out for all, and freedom from hanging snakes being requested.

GinnyKNC
May 13th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Good Morning,

I start my new job tomorrow so I will be missing these wonderful morning greeting :( I hope everyone had a wonderful Mothers Day. I planted tomatoes yesterday, filled my planter boxes on the deck and at the mail box. We then went to dinner and had a nice relaxing evening. I love family time. The boys are always so busy that we don't get to do that often anymore.

I so love all the flowers coming and going. My peonies are starting to bloom! Here are a few :)

I went to the Springs Creative Spring Sale open to the public this weekend also. WOW. I came home with over 150 yards of material and about 50 kits. All for $200. That was my mothers day present :) I also bought my mom some kits that I thought she would enjoy. I took my daughter in-law and it was her first time. She was amazed and what they had and the prices. She came home with a lot of stuff and only spent $34.

Prayers and hugs to those in need and blessings to all.

shermur
May 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM
@ Kellie and Grammababs....thank you for the encouragement regarding the gray locks! Oh, another lady that I think rocks her hair is Emmy Lou harris...the woman is gorgeous and can she sing!

Madeforyouinma11
May 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hello everyone!
Well, I had a super busy weekend...on Saturday we were out of the house by 8am to go to hubby's cousins college graduation. After that we went to dinner than to their house to visit for awhile. When we got home my daughter and SIL were here with my other daughter and SIL and we ended up playing pictionary on WII. On Sunday, we were out of the houe early yo go to breakfast with my daughter and SIL and then to their house to visit for awhile and see the baby's room. They are now ready for a baby...three more weeks! Can't wait for the little one to arrive. Then we came home and took a short nap and had dinner with my other daughter and SIL. They couldn't come to breakfast because she had to work. Then we just relaxed for a bit and went to bed early. My SIL repaired a wall in the room that I am doing for the baby so today I have to get in there and clean up the dust from all the sanding and get my primeing done so I can paint. I'm hoping to have that room all painted by the beginning of next week. I will post before and after pics.
Well, I gotta go and get things done. Sending prayers and hugs out to everyone. Hope you all have a wonderful day filled with only smiles.

lilmouse
May 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Morning Everyone, I am running late today...uniforms are in the dryer..I will be wearing damp clothes to work...oh well, had a nice chat today with my daughter and Steve....today is my long day at work and I am sure it will be slow after Mother's Day; it usually is. Went to breakfast with some friends and received a couple of MD wishes in texts on my cell. Spent the afternoon and evening running between the computer and making a housewarming gift for one of my co workers...very sweet gal...made her a 10 minute table runner with matching placemats and mug rugs from the like by Kona Bay called Rain....very pretty and bright...sure hope she likes it...turned out pretty good I think! No pictures though. Everyone have a good day, prayers for all and remember to smile....next thing you know it will be Tuesday and Monday willl be behind us for another week...lol
I am totally grey and have been since my 30's....dyed my hair for awhile and got tired of supporting Clairol and stopped...now I am fully grey and proud of it....more silver than grey so I am a lucky girl...and lots of it!

WendyI
May 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Afternoon all!! I'm late getting in here! FINALLY have some work to do at WORK! I couldn't take it anymore so talked to my boss. Then a co-worker is pregnant and having a terrible time with morning sickness so she's off today which means I have to cover for her so then suddenly I'm busy. Feast for famine I tell ya!

Yes...what is WITH the SNOW!! Honestly, last night it was like a blizzard! It was melting as soon as it hit the ground but boy oh boy was it difficult to watch! I had a LOT I wanted to get done yesterday and I absolutely refused to leave the house! I am SO fed up of snow! Thankfully we didn't get the frost they were calling for so my lilacs and flowering cherry were spared...but we're not out of the woods until Wednesday so fingers crossed! It's not windy anymore so I'm thinking my neighbours are going to get a good look at all my sheets when I use them to cover my gardens tonight!

Finished the minecraft quilt and now I'm in limbo...ZERO idea of what to make now. I really liked the fabric in Jenny's tutorial on the falling charms quilt but then have some baby's coming up so wanted to start on some of those...but as usual, I struggle with spending the money. sigh. I'm a bit lost though without a project on the go so will have to do something soon!

Hope you are all having a great day! Next weekend is a long one for me...holiday and I booked the Tuesday also...SOOO looking forward to that! I'm really needing a good vacation!!

K. McEuen
May 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Luscious killed a big black snake in his work shop. He had been in and out of all day Saturday and towards the end of the afternoon, he said something told him to look up. There in one of the beams was a coiled up and lazy, unsuspecting snake. He went in, got his gun and not only killed the snake but put a hole in his roof. He patched that hole quickly.

You realize now that he will have mice and rats? He killed his exterminator.

pcbatiks
May 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Blondie..........my motto concerning snakes is.........The Only Good Snake Is A Dead Snake!!!! Yuuuccckkkk!!! What is it with the mention of snakes and we start checking the ground around our ankles...........I do the same thing!

dwil23
May 13th, 2013, 04:07 PM
You realize now that he will have mice and rats? He killed his exterminator.

And other snakes. If it was a black racer, they defend their territory against other snakes. Black snakes are our friends - although they can scare the bejeebers out of you at times.