PDA

View Full Version : new machine advice

Carol336
May 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Am thinking of taking the step to get a new sewing machine, hopefully one that does machine quilting. Unfortunately I have a limited budget. I've been reading some reviews and the Brother HC1850 gets some pretty good reviews and is in my ball park. I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice.

Momofmonsters5
May 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Love brother machines I have two

Carol336
May 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the reply davidsgirl. I have done some research and the brother machines seem to get good ratings.

I'm a little puzzled at the amount of people who read this thread but didn't reply. I'm new here so don't know if that is the norm or not. I hope it's not because I'm looking at such an inexpensive machine......as I've been led to believe that you don't need an expensive one to do a little quilting......hope I'm not going to be dissapointed.
Carol

Gayle Russell
May 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I have the Brother quilting machine, bought at Walmart. My budget, too, is limited. I LOVE the machine and it's fairly simple to operate. Have fun!

quilter.martha
May 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply davidsgirl. I have done some research and the brother machines seem to get good ratings.

I'm a little puzzled at the amount of people who read this thread but didn't reply. I'm new here so don't know if that is the norm or not. I hope it's not because I'm looking at such an inexpensive machine......as I've been led to believe that you don't need an expensive one to do a little quilting......hope I'm not going to be dissapointed.
Carol

Hi Carol:

Don't be disturbed by the of people who don't reply to your post. Members will select a post and read it. If they have nothing to offer in way of help or suggestions, they won't reply. It happens all the time and is quite normal. It has nothing to do with you or the machine you're looking to buy.

It is true you don't need an expensive machine to quilt. For piecing, straight stitching is all you need. For the quilting part, what I desire most is the widest space (called the harp or throat) you can get to allow more bulk of the quilt to get through the machine. Another plus is the abililty to drop your feed dogs (it looks like yours will do that) and a needle up/down position.

Enjoy your new toy!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
If I have nothing to contribute to help you, I won't comment. I have no experience with Brother machines, but many here do and love them. It is my understanding that Brother and BabyLock are made by the same manufacturer, with different name badges on them. Both are highly respected machines, but Brother has more entry level machines than BabyLock and are generally priced at a lower price point for virtually the same machine. I think Brother machines are more widely distributed, usually by big box or discount stores, but BabyLock is only sold through dealers. Jenny is now sponsored by BabyLock and has three or four BabyLock machines. I would take her endorsement of that product as a positive, since BabyLock and Brother are made by the same manufacturer.

I'm a Janome user, ask me about Janome's and I'll fill your head with information.

bakermom
May 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM
my main machine is a Brother, I love it! Last year DH bought a smaller Brother 5500prw for me as a back-up. It doesn't have as many stitches as the one you're looking at, but I've been very happy with it. Three of my DDs also sew on Brothers ( ones from WM) and they are pleased with them. They are all quilters too.

WVGranny
May 12th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I used Brother machines for years and they gave me very good service,.

Musical_Starling
May 13th, 2013, 03:41 AM
If it does what you want it to do in terms of features and it's in your price range, then giv'er! :D I have a Brother machine that's older than me, and it still works like a charm! I now have a Singer 7469Q and love it because it has all of the features I was looking for and also can be serviced locally (which was a huge selling point!)

While I'm not familiar with that particular machine, I do have some general advice. Think about what you would like to have in a machine (needle up/down, extension table, decorative stitches, needle threader, automatic button holes, speed adjustment, drop-in bobbin, knee lift, etc, etc, etc) and decide which features you NEED (i.e. "I NEED a needle threader because these eyes aren't what they used to be!) vs. which features you WANT ("Three million decorative stitches would give me lots of variety!") and then make sure that whatever machine you pick has all of your NEEDS and at least a few of your WANTS and still fits in your budget :) And, if at all possible, buy it from someone who can service it locally, because in the end that becomes priceless. Good luck! :icon_wave:

KatiesQuiltingCorner
May 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Please visit some local dealers and test drive some of their used models. You may have a limited budget but not even realize that a used machine is in your budget with lots of features you need.

Also make sure the dealer you buy from is kind and efficient when servicing and maintaining machines. They need to be knowledgable about the machines they are selling and support them just as well.

I love Pfaff machines and I bet they have some very nice ones in your price range. They just came out with a new model called the Passport that has TONS of features for a small price tag. People trade in machines all the time and you can usually get a great deal on those used machines. That's how I got my Creative 2.0.

Cat n bull
May 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Please visit some local dealers and test drive some of their used models. You may have a limited budget but not even realize that a used machine is in your budget with lots of features you need.

Also make sure the dealer you buy from is kind and efficient when servicing and maintaining machines. They need to be knowledgable about the machines they are selling and support them just as well.

I love Pfaff machines and I bet they have some very nice ones in your price range. They just came out with a new model called the Passport that has TONS of features for a small price tag. People trade in machines all the time and you can usually get a great deal on those used machines. That's how I got my Creative 2.0.

I totally agree on finding a reliable trustworthy dealer and looking for a used machine. I got an awesome used Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 right around Christmas time, then in April traded it in for a brand new machine that had the features I REALLY wanted. I got full value of what I paid for the used machine towards the new one. A good dealer is a very valuable thing to have!

I also just got the new Pfaff Passport 2.0 as a travel machine, and I LOVE! that little machine! It has IMPECCABLE stitch quality and Pfaff's IDT. I don't think you will be able to find another machine in the under $600 price range that has built in dual feed, 70 stitches AND is computerized, has excellent lighting, and weighs less than 14 pounds!

I don't have any experience with Brother and I only buy machine's from authorized dealers that will support my purchase. Even for the inexpensive ones.

auntiemern
May 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I quilted on a cheap little manual Brother from WM for years. When if finally gave out on me, I bought a Singer. Unfortunately the singer I bought was not really made to quilt on, and had it less than 3 months before I had to return it. Just bought a new Brother that is a lot higher quality than anything I had had before. I honestly would not hesitate at all to buy the machine you are looking at.

GinnyKNC
May 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM
My mom doesn't buy anything but brothers and she loves them. I actually with one of her old ones and then I passed the same one onto my daughter in-law. That brother lasted for a long time!

GrammaBabs
May 13th, 2013, 07:41 PM
it's always a good idea to do a "search" with different code words... i've answered so many times regarding buying machines and so have many others....i think you might just spend all night reading all the links to answers you might find..:)