PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done upholstery??

WendyI
May 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
We have a 22 foot camper..it's only three years old but the upholstery is brutal for holding hair and the foam they use in making the sofas and seat cushions is HORRIBLE! So I want to replace it and figured I might as well put better upholstery fabric on the cushions while I'm at it?

Has anyone ever done this?

I am considering just taking the existing cushions apart to use them as my "pattern" for new ones...but I'm nervous about ripping the sofa apart. It's one of those ones that you flip the bottom up and then the back collapses to make a bed....and I have never done upholstery before other than a headboard and seats on dining room chairs.

Karena1984
May 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I would make slipcovers. I've had bad luck when it comes to recovering things like that. Slipcovers could be taken off easy to wash too!

asta
May 9th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I recovered, many years ago, the cushions on my Dad's sailboat, too the old ones apart and used this as the pattern it worked out so well that I also did a few other boats. It was a lot of work and I did do a lot of hand sewing of the corners and such. I did not put in piping on any of the cushions.
Beth

bubba
May 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Yes....I recovered our little couch in our fifth wheel in denim! I don't know that I'd do it again, but it's camping, so hey...

HdWench
May 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Sounds like in your camper is this attached where you can't replace it? We took out 99.9% of the Mobile Suites new furniture - hate those "majic" bed sofas - They aren't comfortable to sit on and omg it's Camping, not many are invited to sleep inside LOL

We replaced our's with a real sofa (or rather Love seat since our Mobile Suite is 36') don't want it over powering the rooms

If you can't do that then yes, take the foam and make a pattern from the current fabric -- BUT you may not be able to put "thicker" padding in IF you also use it for a bed -- The thicker padding may not go "under" the back you know what I mean? I bet you do.

Otherwise a slip cover to cute it up or replace with softer furniture you WANT to sit on :-)

I adore our 5th wheel but all the "new" furniture is sitting in our garage and we replace it with more comfortable stuff :-)

Good luck hon!

WendyI
May 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I do know what you mean...I don't necessarily want to replace it with "thicker" foam, but something more dense and better quality kwim? The stuff they used is just garbage. I'm not looking really to "spruce" it up as the trailer is only three years old and in really good shape...just need better cushioning. I guess I need to do more research! :D

Claire Hallman
May 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I have had a similar problem with an expensive sofa I bought. Had the thing a week and it looked like we had been wallowing on it for years. Lucky for me the furniture company and the store stood behind the sofa and we picked another one from another manufacturer that has innerspring cushions. It will be delivered on Saturday and I sure hope it is an improvement.
I have replaced the foam on our outdoor furniture and got more dense foam from a company locally that sells and manufactures mattresses. I can do a cushion cover but not sure about actual upholstery. If you study how it is put together as you take it apart you should be able to redo it. After all it was a human that built it in the first place.:icon_happy:

HdWench
May 9th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Ok gotcha about just more "dense" not thicker -- I bet there's a zipper on there to take it off and take the foam on your hunt for more dense stuff! That's great Claire was able to find a company local to re-do hers.

I like working with upholstery and home dec fabrics but only on my older mechanical machines. Good luck on your search!

K. McEuen
May 10th, 2013, 12:34 AM
I've reupholstered car and truck seats. Only made slips covers for furniture though.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 10th, 2013, 01:06 AM
I used my $89 Janome 3128 to upholster a foam cushion for a window seat plus back and arm cushions, piping and zippers. It took a while, but the little machine that could did a great job!

WendyI
May 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Well I think I'm okay tackling the "bench" cushions for the dinette that folds to a bed, but I'm not so sure about the sofa thing. I would gladly replace it with a real sofa but the box that's underneath houses the hot water heater and furnace mechanics and other mechanical stuff. At this point I'm considering trading it in for a better trailer! LOL! Will have to think on this some more.

Thanks Jean for letting me know you used your 3128. I have an old Kenmore that I was thinking of getting tuned up to use but maybe my little 3160 will work?

Jean Sewing Machine
May 10th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Well I think I'm okay tackling the "bench" cushions for the dinette that folds to a bed, but I'm not so sure about the sofa thing. I would gladly replace it with a real sofa but the box that's underneath houses the hot water heater and furnace mechanics and other mechanical stuff. At this point I'm considering trading it in for a better trailer! LOL! Will have to think on this some more.

Thanks Jean for letting me know you used your 3128. I have an old Kenmore that I was thinking of getting tuned up to use but maybe my little 3160 will work? Yours is fancier than the 3128, but that thing goes through thick stuff like nobody's business! Better than my expensive Janomes for sure!

mom4him
May 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I have done upholstery. The main things is you have to have a machine that will handle heavy fabric and multiple layers of it. I have a fancy machine but I would not attempt to upholster with it.:icon_rolleyes: The other thing you mentioned. I always used used the old fabric for me pattern. You also need to document how you took everything apart so if your project gets interrupted and you don't get back to it for a time you will remember how it goes back together. Please don't ask me how I know this one.;)