PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite "Grandma" memory?

dwil23
May 9th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Asta's thread about her grandma made me think about mine and the nice things she did for people, especially kids.
Since I recently became a grandma myself, I thought it would be nice to hear about other's memories of their grandmas, too.

I had two wonderful grandma's, but my Dad's Mom was the one we were closer to. Grandma loved children. My second favorite memory of her was when I was about six, we had gone on a short vacation to Boca Grande where my parents and grandfather liked to fish. At the motel where we were staying was a little girl, close to my age, who injured herself and was taken to the mainland to the hospital. Grandma was worried sick and had my Dad drive many miles to check on her and to stop at a drug store to buy her crayons, coloring book and some other toys, even though we didn't know her.

My very favorite story though, still brings tears to my eyes. One day I went to my grandma's house to visit her. She was wearing the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It was a green and pink floral fabric. I told grandma I want one just like it! Grandma shopped at Maas Bros (an upscale dept store at the time), and probably bought it there. Sometime later, grandma gave me one just like hers. She mentioned to my Mom that the lady across the street from her had made it. I wanted her to put hers on so we could dress alike, but she made some excuse and we never got to wear our dresses at the same time. Later, when I got a little older, I realized Grandma had her neighbor cut up her dress to make one for me. I wish I had a picture of that dress, but I can still see it in my mind.

Mom23
May 9th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Aww, I loved you grandma story. I was very close to both of my grandmothers and was blessed to be with both of them when they passed away from this life. I have so many memories of them but will never forget the peacefulness of their soul slipping away to meet their Heavenly Father. One grandma just passed last August. She was 98 years old and still used email!!!!

MayinJerset
May 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Growing up I had only one grandparent, Grandpa Jim my father's father. Grandpa was born in Brooklyn, NY in the late 1890's. He was a small thin man with lots of dark brown hair and brown eyes. I always wished I looked like him physically instead of the chunky pear shape from my mother's side of the family.

We always lived in a house owned by my grandfather and he lived with us. He worked at a big city newspaper and would return from work around 4pm. When he got off the subway he would buy a candy bar which he would share with my brother Jim, sister Louise and myself. If it was a bar candy he would take out his pocket knife and cut the bar into 4 pieces, sister Louise always grabbed the biggest piece. The pieces of a box of candy were always shared equally but if it was a pack of Chuckles, jelly candies in different colors and flavors, the black licorice was always his. Seems like a small thing to do but our father was a bit self centered and never did little things like that. One of Grandpa's tricks was to peel an apple in one long strip using his handy pocket knife. So many other good memories but these are the ones that I remember first.

twnkeyes
May 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
My paternal g'ma is still alive at 97. I saw her in February where she lives in southern Missouri in a beautiful retirement home. She can not see but a sliver of light and can not hear unless you yell but her mind is sharp as a tack! She listens to baseball which she loves, the news and Jeopardy! She wishes she could teach them how to cook, she likes spicy and it's bland, bland, bland she says. She was quite a cook, we all would have weighed a ton had we lived closer! My favorite memory of her is this and it's even funnier because my g'ma was a very proper woman. It's hard to explain how she really was (she's become more relaxed as the years have gone by). Anyway, I was about 10 and g'ma had moved closer to us. Every Sunday we went for a "Sunday drive" and this special day Dad stopped by a Dairy Queen! G'ma had no idea what to order because she had never been and never ate out. It was a hot, hot summer day so Dad suggested a slush. So that's what she ordered. I was sitting next to her in the back seat and she took a straw full of it and more. All the sudden she made the most awful face and I said, "DAD, something's wrong with g'ma!!!" He thought she was having a stroke! Then we all realized she was having a Brain Freeze! LOL We laughed and laughed that night and still do. Miss Proper made faces only Jim Carrey could make!

My maternal g'ma lived only 66 years. She was ill most of her life with a body jarring cough due to hooping cough when she was a child. She never ridded herself of the cough and it gradually weakened her body. I was 13 when she passed but I remember a lot about her. I was the first grandchild. She was a teacher all her life, mostly in the local country schools, one room mostly. She would help me with my homework and was always "onto" my g'pa for drinking out of his saucer or giving us grandkids a Pepsi float an hour before supper. She was softs spoken and kind. She taught me how important it was and is to place a vote for elected officials. She took me once to the voting booth at the local school. She stood behind the curtain and cast her vote. She explained to me how it worked afterward and why it was an important responsibility. I think of her each time I vote today.

Sorry for the long post but I could go on. I loved and still love my g'ma's!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 9th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I have very few grandma memories, my maternal grandma died before my mother married, and my paternal grandparents died when I was a preschoolage child. In my paternal grandparents lineup of kids, I was #4, with 4 more of us being born within a year of each other, so old grandparents and a lot of grandkids meant nobody got much TLC. But I was very close to my maternal grandfather, he lived until I was married and had a child, so those memories I have of him are very special.

WendyI
May 9th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I have no memories of any grandmothers. My maternal g'ma died when my mom was three...drank turpentine. Apparently she had schizophrenia also but back then they just called you crazy...poor woman must have been so tortured. She had a child out of wedlock in her late teens early 20's and it was so scandalous that they actually printed it in the local newspaper! My mom found her sister about 20 years ago but just as they were getting close, she died of cancer...about three years later.

My paternal g'ma died when I was 3 I think. Cancer also...she was only 66. My paternal grandfather died when I was five or six and I only ever met him once. He was a Korean POW and was never the same when he came home and not fond of children, so I did not get to know him at all in that one or two days that I met him.

My maternal grandfather I knew only slightly better. I remember he used to do a lot of what I thought were strange things. He could ride a bicycle backwards which I thought was amazing. And he used to have a very old trunk that was full of orange peelings shaped like an S. Never did realize why he kept them...maybe for the smell? He used to also show us how he could suck the insides out of an egg just by poking a hole in both ends. I never thought that was very cool, but I was fascinated by it! LOL!

He lived about a three mile hike in the woods (which seemed like a hundred to me at the age of 5!), in a really small house at the very top of a steep meadow. I remember loving it because at the age of 5 I could reach the top cupboards and wash dishes in the sink! He lived in the kitchen with a cot on one wall, a small table and a wood stove for heat and cooking...I don't remember seeing a fridge although I'm sure he had at least an ice box? I wasn't overly fond of the outhouse! The rest of the house was shut up so that he didn't have to heat it. He had a pet crow, and lots of tame chipmunks and used to have to fight off bears in the spring who would try to break into his house....which really was just a shack but I thought it was so cool! No electricity or hot water. It never dawned on me that he was so dirt poor...I just thought it was amazing that he lived this way. Turned out he wasn't poor at all...just incredibly frugal and didn't want to leave his house. It was an incredibly beautiful and peaceful setting...a lot of trees. I always thought I would go back there some day. He passed when I was 12 and I was always so sad for him...he died away from his meadow in the city with my mom taking care of him. Many years after he passed I discovered a lot of really awful things about how he had raised my mother and her brothers, but I have kind of divided those stories from the man I knew. He was not unkind to us kids and his quirkiness was interesting and fun so those are the memories I keep.

asta
May 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I just had to post a picture of my frog. Not my best one ever, but have not made any for years and I only had cotton (go figure) fabric to work with, we used to make them out of corduroy or a heavy twill.
Beth

Mchelem
May 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM
In a month will mark the 4 yr anniversary of my grandma's passing. She was like my parent, I was always at her house and she raised me. We will eat at Joe's crabshack in her memory (crab Joe's, as she called it) and will laugh at her silly antics. I would go to Arkansas every other week to take her to the Dr and the grocery store and in the summer my son and daughter would go with me and my daughter would party-boy dance on my grandma in the middle of wal-mart. My grandma would just laugh and call her a nut, but she enjoyed the attention and teasing. We finally talked her into moving to Texas so that we could take care of her easier and she passed away a month after she moved here. We hadn't even got her settled and unpacked in her apartment.

My favorite memory of her is the way she encouraged my (and my children's) imaginations. I had an imaginary friend named Linda who lived in our gardening shed and my grandma made up the silliest stories about Linda and the things she did when I wasn't around. She had a gnome named Ned who lived under her porch and watered my plants for me when I wasn't there to do it, (even though I know now that grandma watered my plants for me, and not Ned) and the best one of all is when she ordered 1000 cases of imaginary candles from my son, who decided it would be funny to knock on her door and pretend to be a door to door candle salesman. Grandma played right along, even when he came up with the most god awful scents for his candles- things like "smelly sweatsocks", "dog poop", "hippopotomus snot" and many others that were gross and disgusting. She took it all in stride, never missed a beat and order 1000 cases of them lol. When she got sick with cancer and was in the hospital, she even asked him about her order..... and he made up some silly story about monkeys stealing the candles off the boat when they were on their way to the states. She just laughed.

I miss my grandma. She taught me to sew and to cook and how to work hard and scrimp and save for the things you want. She taught me about forgiveness and compassion, and most of all she taught me unconditional love.

shermur
May 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
My maternal Grandmother Dorothy had parkinsens disease when I was young; so she invalid from the time I was little until she passed at the age of 70 ( I was 26 and she passed one week before the birth of my second child). My paternal Grandmother Gladys? Wow, what a woman. On the Women's Extension Council in her community, helped with local saddle club, played piano and organ for the family church for more than 50 years and made each child, grandchild and great child a quilt by hand. Many precious memories of singing, eating wonderful country cooked meals she had made; she was very outspoken and you always knew where you stood in her eyes.....she passed away at the age of 97 in 2008.....

Bubby
May 9th, 2013, 05:01 PM
This is a fun memory for me. We lived with my grandparents when I was 10-12 years old. Every afternoon American Bandstand was on TV when I got home from school. AB was a show hosted by Dick Clark, who played the latest records and featured many of the teenage recording artists (Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Elvis, Paul Anka, Bobby Darrin, etc). Grandma Nan and I would dance to every song they played....fast or slow. We would jitterbug, do the stroll, the twist, or just slow dance. We took turns leading! It was so much fun and such a nice break after a day of school. Nan also taught me so many other wonderful things, but for some reason this popped up for this post.

PS I still love to dance!!

cindyinohio
May 9th, 2013, 05:31 PM
My grandma was a very quiet,calm lady. I'm from German descent, the area I live was all German speaking people. My grandma spoke mostly English....unless she was mad at grandpa and then she would "tell" him in German. The only work I could understand was "Dumkoff" ( excuse my spelling )..I think I got the point!!

Hulamoon
May 9th, 2013, 08:49 PM
My dad's mom was a really humble lady. I saw her about once a month with my dad. She was the one that taught me to sew. She became a Buddist and had hardly anything in her apartment. Very minimalist. I have all of her things. She used to make cheese sandwich's with mustard, or cottage cheese with peaches. I still eat those. lol She took me on bus rides to the city to the museum.

My mom's mom was more of a party girl and traveled. That's where the family spent Thanksgiving too. ( my parents were divorced when I was two) Anyway, I was goofing off with the fridge door and broke the handle off. You never saw a more pissed off grandma lol But she kept toys around for me.

What is weird is that when my mom passed there was a vintage dessert glass from her mom and I had the excact same glass from my dad's mom. So they are sitting next to each other. :)

MRoy
May 9th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Both of my grandmothers and one grandfather passed away before I was born. My other grandfather died when I was 4 yrs old and I barely remember him so I have no grandparent memories except for the ones I'm making with my own grandchildren.

SallyO'Sews
May 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM
My mother's mother was very strong, and very direct. She was the one person I could not manipulate as a child. I found that rather intimidating then, but now I am very grateful. She had flaming red hair, which she hated because it made her different from other children, and was named Charlie (not Charlotte or Charlene), which she also hated because it was a "boy's name." Charlie's husband died suddenly when my mom was 19, so Charlie spent the next 20 years working for the IRS.

The summer I turned 17, my parents went out of town for a week, and my brother was away at camp, so Charlie came and stayed with me. I had a summer job and was gone during the day, but every evening we sat down and had dinner together, WITHOUT the TV on, as it was when Mom was home. Charlie spent about an hour every night telling me what it was like to grow up in Waco, Texas, at the turn of the 20th century. I later regretted that I didn't think to record our conversations. I think my siblings and cousins would have loved to have heard all of that family history, and also the "slice of America" that her stories represented.

Thanks for bringing these memories back! It's fun to read everyone's stories!

WendyI
May 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I love reading everyone's stories about their grandparents. Lets me live vicariously through you! lol!

bakermom
May 10th, 2013, 11:32 AM
My mom's mother died when i was a baby so i don't remember her. She had emigrated from Hungary as a teen and spoke little English from what I've been told. she did make beautiful lace doilies and lace for pillowcases etc(mom still has some).
We lived with my dad's mom until she died. she was a wonderful gardener and quilter. I remember going to "ladies aid" with her at the local church and playing while she quilted with the other ladies.