PDA

View Full Version : Elm Creek Quilt Novels

slg0522
May 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I came across this series of books at the Library the other day. I checked out the first three books in the series.
Author Jennifer Chiaverini. I have finished the Quilter's Apprentice, and really like it. Has anyone else read this
series?
Sherry

buckeyequilter
May 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I was reading the series and then when I got to Sugar Camp Quilts, I lost interest. Don't know if I'll read anymore of them or not. I did read The Christmas Quilt but did not get through Sugar Camp Quilts.

Doloris
May 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I've read them all. Some are better than others, but I found all of them a good read. If you read them in order , she continues and adds characters to each one. I have 17 of them here, up to the Union Quilters.

slg0522
May 8th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your input. Reading them in order can be a problem, my library may not have the whole series, but they will try to find them for you if you are willing to wait.
sherry

toggpine
May 8th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I have read a few of them. I agree that some are better than others. I haven't been driven to read them all.

quilter.martha
May 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I have read some but not all of them. Overall I've found them to be a good read.

Doloris
May 8th, 2013, 04:53 PM
each book is its own story, but sometimes knowing the background from the previous books helps explain why something is happening. You could read them out of order, but try to stay as close to order as you can.

slg0522
May 8th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Yes I will try to read them in order. I think I will go to the authors website and get a list so I can check them off.
Thanks to everyone.
Sherry

CarrieG
May 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I love her books! I have her last one, Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker, autographed. That's her 1st non-Elm Creek quilters book. All the books don't need to be read in order. She goes back and forth between current time settings & historical settings.

Doloris
May 8th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I read Mrs Lincolns Dressmaker too, from the library, and I thought it was really good.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I just read " The Giving Quilt". My reaction is lukewarm to reading more after reading this one. It is the first one I read.

Debbie MM
May 8th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I have read most them that is what got me started quilting, some are better than others

Ginny B
May 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I have read pretty much all of them. I didn't get through the Union Quilters though. I will go back to that one someday -- I think I was just in a reading frame of mind when I took that out of the library. Some are definitely better than others. I really did enjoy the first three where the main character (Sylvia) is established and you get to read stories of her ancestors and where she is currently. I didn't enjoy The Wedding Quilt too much either. I really liked Sonoma Rose too which continues on with the story of some characters you meet in The Quilters HomeComing but wonder what happens to them.

I think they are worth investigating.

Ginny B