PDA

View Full Version : Bean bag chair...need help

Coppertopquilter
May 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM
What kind of fabric would you suggest for a project like this??
https://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/index.php/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom%2Fupload%2FFile-1366638614.pdf

K. McEuen
May 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't use anything thinner than home decorator fabrics. Denim would work well also. If you use thinner fabrics and they don't wear well you could end up with those little pellets everywhere.

ilive2craft2
May 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Since it has an inner bag for the pellets, I think you can use any kind of fabric. I would used something like muslin or fabric in your stash that you won't use for a project - for the inner bag.

However, I agree with Karen that a heavier weight fabric would last longer - just due to the ways a bean bag gets abused. They now have beautiful printed duck cloth or patterned denim, which would be a good choice, if you want heavy duty, but still cute! I may have to try this... Thanks for sharing! :) Lisa

New York Sue
May 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
How fun! I LOVE the fabrics used.

Divine Daisy
May 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I love this! I would grab some curtain fabric remnants and go for it. Use a decent sheeting for the inner bag, cheap wide and durable. This reminds me of the 70s again.

Peace Man..............

Doloris
May 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I made a couple bean bag chairs a few yrs ago and I used fleece for the outer bag. Held up well and lots of patterns to choose from. I think one was pink camo.

ilive2craft2
May 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I made a couple bean bag chairs a few yrs ago and I used fleece for the outer bag. Held up well and lots of patterns to choose from. I think one was pink camo.

Love the fleece idea! May have to try this on a small scale for the nephew... :)

Coppertopquilter
May 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone!! I was thinking duck would work well, now if I do use duck do I need a special needle? Sorry I've only quilted and done small sewing projects.

K. McEuen
May 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Not sure what size needle you use normally, but a bit heavier one for duck or denim might be a good idea. A 14 or so.

Wwena
May 9th, 2013, 02:30 AM
A collegue of mine is making a "fatboy" out of old jeans and it looks really, really promising! Denim is of course terribly strong, unless it's worn through somewhere. :)

Have fun making it!

bubba
May 9th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Ohhhhh....I think a fleece one would be wonderful!!! Or minky!!! It would be so nice and cuddly to curl up into! I'd make an inner liner bag as well.

We have a pair of fleece sheets and they are the best ever!

Coppertopquilter
May 9th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Would I use just regular old fleece? Like the tie blanket kind?

toggpine
May 9th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Sure. I might lean towards the anti-pill kind though, since it's going to be tossed about on the floor.

Coppertopquilter
May 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks! I am fairly new to the sewing game so I always ask a ton of questions! I LOVE this forum all of you ladies are so nice! :)