PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

auntiemern
May 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
My current machine, is acting up again. A low end Singer. I have been looking at a Singer Futura XL 400. Does any one have this machine or know anyone that does? Just having trouble with whether I want another Singer after the issues I have had with my current one.

Cat n bull
May 8th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Marilyn do you have a sewing machine dealer to buy from or are you looking for an internet purchase?

Singer has had some quality problems, but usually if you buy from a GOOD dealer, they will handle it. If you buy a machine from the internet or a big box store, you are on your own.

bakermom
May 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Not familiar with that machine but looking at the features I think you could do a lot with it. Good luck with your decision.

Hulamoon
May 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have owned a couple of Singers, but I switched to a Viking. I have had it forever. Never any problems except for me. lol It wouldn't hurt to check out a different brand.

lilmouse
May 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
You could also try a low end Janome...they are real work horses...I gave my daughter the Janome Gem I have had and she says it is a real work horse....and it weighs only 11 pounds...they also have other machines that go up in price.....but I swear by my Janomes!

Madeforyouinma11
May 8th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I own a Singer Futura XL 400... I love mine. I have never sewn on anything but a Singer. My godmother had four of them and that is what I learned on and stuck with it. I am very happy with it. The only thing I haven't figured out is the serger. There is someone else here that owns one too because I asked about the serger...let me see if I can look up who it is. Be right back.

Madeforyouinma11
May 8th, 2013, 02:12 PM
It's "bubba" that also has one.

K. McEuen
May 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Why did I think your machine was a Brother?

When I learned to sew my mom had a Singer. It was green. For the life of me I can't find out what model it was, no matter how many pictures of old machines I look at. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that machine, but I hated it with a passion. I can't even really tell you why. It sewed fine, I just didn't like it. One thing was it had those cams that you had to change to do anything other than straight stitch. We had a buttonholer attachment for it that made wonderful buttonholes. Mom always had me do them because she could never get the attachment to work like I could. She bought a Kenmore, which was a great machine. I think they were made by New Home (Janome) at that time.

I bought a Kenmore as my first machine, then got the Pfaff and a Brother.

And none of this is any help to you at all. :P But as an opinion, if it were me, I'd shy away from Singer. They just aren't the machines they were 50 years ago.

Bubby
May 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm a loyal Janome owner...I'm on the second one right now. I'm saving my original Janome MC4000 as a back-up, but it's never needed servicing. I l-o-v-e my new Janome 9500. I have Singer Featherweight machines but they only sew straight stitches. Good luck looking for a new machine.

mm miller
May 9th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I think your singer machine is now out of work and will not be prepare again properly. So you have need to buy a good machine if you are interested to buy then contact with me. I have a good machines for sale.

K. McEuen
May 9th, 2013, 02:32 AM
I think your singer machine is now out of work and will not be prepare again properly. So you have need to buy a good machine if you are interested to buy then contact with me. I have a good machines for sale.

Since you are considering opening a shop in London, I'd venture a guess that the shipping costs on a machine you have for sale would be way too high.

bubba
May 9th, 2013, 03:44 AM
My current machine, is acting up again. A low end Singer. I have been looking at a Singer Futura XL 400. Does any one have this machine or know anyone that does? Just having trouble with whether I want another Singer after the issues I have had with my current one.

I have a Singer Futura Quartet that I love. I bought it off of HSN for just five easy payments (!!!) when it was first released almost two years ago. If I were to buy a new machine today, I'd make sure it had thread cutters on it because of my new found love for paper piecing.

http://www.singerco.com/products/2136/futura-quartet

mamaquilt
May 9th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Have 2 old Singer machine, actually 3. The third one is an antique. But so far I sewed on a Brother and switched a couple of years ago to Bernina. Both Brother and Bernina have a good name, are affordable and have a good service here in Luxembourg.

Lately Singer lost quite a bit of their reputation. There was talk about closing factories etc. I had problems getting a foot for one of my Singer machine and I had to travel to Germany to order and pick it up.

So I would not buy a Singer machine anymore. Also the quality is not as good as the old ones.