PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

Sandy Navas
May 6th, 2013, 07:13 PM
YEAH!!! Finally a day that is warm enough to make the mushrooms pop. Only found two, but what the heck - I was only out about 10 minutes. Maybe tomorrow I can get the girls to go deeper into the woods with me.

Morels are my very favorite!!

http://thegreatmorel.com/images/naturefront.jpg (http://thegreatmorel.com/)

Jean Sewing Machine
May 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Yum yum! Hope you find more!

laf512
May 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM
We love morels here,too! Dh and the kids found LOTS this past weekend.

Hulamoon
May 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I used to hunt for mushrooms in the cow pastures here. I had visions of caterpillar's.

auntiemern
May 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
OOOO I need to send DH out mushroom hunting.

K. McEuen
May 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I used to hunt for mushrooms in the cow pastures here. I had visions of caterpillar's.

Hahaha, those are the only mushrooms I know of around here ... not exactly the eating kind.

bakermom
May 6th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I remember hunting mushrooms with my grandpa. couldn't tell a good one from bad now though

Ellimay
May 6th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Love Morels. find them a lot around poplar trees. Yummy! Sauteed in garlic butter.

New York Sue
May 6th, 2013, 09:57 PM
That's a beauty! Happy hunting!

Musical_Starling
May 6th, 2013, 10:03 PM
NOW we know why Sandy is such a charmer.... Shrooms! :icon_giggle:

Come on, you knew SOMEONE was going to say it!

New York Sue
May 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I LOVE mushrooms. When we have minute (cubed) steaks for dinner, I saute off sliced mushrooms in butter, and add a healthy glub of red wine, and reduce down. The dish in my house is 'dubbed minute steaks and drunk mushrooms'. YUM!

Dee, you never disappoint!

WendyI
May 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
LOL! Dee! You beat me to it!

Sandy we had some grow on the side of our house a few years ago...picked and ate a few (after properly identifying them of course! There are two varieties here and one is pretty toxic!)...but even though we left some, conditions just haven't been right for more to grow. :( So enjoy them for me! Nothing better than morels, in garlic, butter and reduced wine! YUMMMMM!!!!

Sandy Navas
May 6th, 2013, 11:27 PM

You are NOT supposed to pick the ones with the orange lace. Didn't anyone ever tell you that?

Okay, you can pick them but don't eat them.

There's something about that cow pile . . .

Musical_Starling
May 7th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Dee, you never disappoint!

LOL! Dee! You beat me to it!

Well I knew SOMEONE was gonna say it, so it might as well be me :D And Sandy knows how much I love her, so I'm sure she saw it coming too lol

I think I'm outnumbered by mushroom lovers. The ONLY mushrooms I like are the ones that come in a can (drained, rinsed, and squeezed with paper towel), and those are the only ones that FIL DOESN'T like. So needless to say when he's around and I make pizza it has to be mushroom-less because I don't like his and he doesn't like mine lol

rebeccas-sewing
May 7th, 2013, 03:45 AM
This is new to me! I've never seen or tasted one. Guess I'm missing out!

CrazyMtnLady
May 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Yum! DH and E.T. found about half a dozen before they went to rendezvous and I fried them in garlic butter for them and put them on their grilled hamburgers. They loved them. I love them too, but let the guys have them.

MRoy
May 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Love them! Around here morels are called "dry land fish" cause they are rolled in cornmeal and fried like fish.

Evilynn
May 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Huh? I am not a mushroom hunter at all but if we go for mushroom hunting it is fall! Now you confused me a bit :X :D
But nice, I hope you find more...

Tanya D
May 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM
NOW we know why Sandy is such a charmer.... Shrooms!

Come on, you knew SOMEONE was going to say it!

Haha, Dee you beat me to it...I was going to ask if they were of the "magic" variety of mushrooms. LOL

HdWench
May 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Yummm yes butter and wine! nothing better than drunken mushrooms -Love that name Sue!

Hubby made omelets last night, mushroom and ham -- hmm when I say hubby "cooked' omelets a picture is worth a thousand words

SallyO'Sews
May 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Cool photo! Although I love mushrooms, I would be terrified of picking them in the "wild," for fear I'd either poison my family, or get arrested... :icon_rolleyes:

Divine Daisy
May 8th, 2013, 12:44 PM
what Sally said!

toggpine
May 8th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Our neighbor brought us back bag full after he had been elk hunting, so I am pretty sure it was fall. I think they were Shii takes (it won't let me spell it properly) and a brain mushroom. I double checked their identity before fixing them. They were tasty and I dehydrated some for soups later. (Hmmm. They are still in the freezer. I wonder if I rehydrated them in white wine & the sauteed them in garlic butter.....)

Sandy Navas
May 8th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Bye, Folks! I'm headed to Washington to have dinner with Cathy!!!!!!!

Annette Ackley
May 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
That is funny, just got off the phone with my Son, he said they went looking for mushrooms, and had no luck. He moved to Freemont, Nebraska in April. I should trade him leeks for mushrooms. lol

New York Sue
May 9th, 2013, 12:58 AM
That is funny, just got off the phone with my Son, he said they went looking for mushrooms, and had no luck. He moved to Freemont, Nebraska in April. I should trade him leeks for mushrooms. lol

I remember the wild leeks from back home, Annette. YOWSER!
You didn't want to stand too close to someone at school, who feasted on them the previous day...