PDA

View Full Version : 10" Paper Piecing Squares substitute

tdwoverton
May 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I have never paper pieced but have been wanting to try one of Jenny's tutorials. They have been out of the 10" squares for a long time and the project I want to use them on has a bit of a deadline (for a gift).

Can someone suggest a similar item, please?

Thank you in advance.

laf512
May 6th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I have read using phone book papers works well. Just cut them to size. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for them though...

Gayle8675309
May 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I too have been checking on those paper piecing squares, and want to buy them. I've looked elsewhere, but haven't found the 10 inch squares anywhere else. Amazon has some that are regular printer sized papers...but not the squares. http://www.amazon.com/Papers-Foundation-Piecing-Martingale-Co/dp/1564772543/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367856380&sr=8-2&keywords=paper+piecing+paper

asta
May 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I usually just use regular copier paper. I use a nice tight stitch and have never had trouble pulling it away.
Beth

Momofmonsters5
May 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I use carol doaks foundation paper or board paper works because the paper is thin

Gayle8675309
May 6th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Oooo...I just found some of the 10 inch paper piecing paper. Here's a link:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/128343747/paper-piecing-squares-foundation-string?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CLCwgb_9gbcCFXSVMgod51gANg

Iris Girl
May 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I use foundation paper or copy paper or tear away stabilizer

Auntpiggylpn
May 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I buy the scribble pads at the Dollar Tree. It is thin paper and tears off quite easily. For paper piecing, I just run it thru my printer. I did this to paper piece my Periwinkle quilt.

tdwoverton
May 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Oooo...I just found some of the 10 inch paper piecing paper. Here's a link:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/128343747/paper-piecing-squares-foundation-string?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=supplies_low&gclid=CLCwgb_9gbcCFXSVMgod51gANg

Wow, that's kind of pricey, right? LOL I wonder what type of paper it is.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I love the idea of the phonebook. The first thought that went through my head was wouldn't the ink rub off onto the fabric? Unfortunately I don't have phonebooks.

Jenny's paper sounds very thin and crinkly. I'll have to check out the other options. It's hard to find something when you don't know what to compare it to! LOL

dwil23
May 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I use copier paper as well. When I start to tear it away, I get a Q-tip and a little water in a bowl. Just dampen your stitching line if you have any trouble and it will come right off.

jennyann
May 8th, 2013, 02:11 AM
My first quilt was a paper piecing quilt and I used phone book pages. They are just as good as ordering the papers online and they are cheaper. ;). I have used both the pre-cut papers and phone book pages and I cannot tell a difference between the two.

Renate
May 8th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I use copier paper as well. When I start to tear it away, I get a Q-tip and a little water in a bowl. Just dampen your stitching line if you have any trouble and it will come right off.

Thanks for this great idea, so easy, but I never thought on this. thanks again

tdwoverton
May 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I did find out that the crinkly sounding paper is vellum. I know you can get it in "artists pads" so I'll probably look for that too to see if it's cheaper than buying pre-packaged "quilting" paper.

Gayle Russell
May 14th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I have used regular copy paper, but be sure to get the lightest weight. It tears away easily. Have fun. I love paper piecing!

madampolo
May 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
You could cut the copy paper into 8 1/2 inch squares. The block would be smaller, but it might work. I assume you want to do strip piecing instead of the regular paper piecing block. I use copy paper exclusively for that, too.

Gayle8675309
May 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I sent an email to MSQC last week asking if they knew when they would be getting the foundation paper back in. They responding saying that they would be shopped to them on May 15th, and it would be a couple of days for them to be ready to ship out to customers...so hopefully by the 20th of May we will be able to purchase these papers again from MSQC! Yay!

tdwoverton
May 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM
If it's an OOS item and on your wishlist do you get any sort of notification when it's back in stock?

tdwoverton
May 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Oh and I forgot to add, look for Artist Tracing Paper. You can even find it in tablet form at WalMart.

Annie
July 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I too have been checking on those paper piecing squares, and want to buy them. I've looked elsewhere, but haven't found the 10 inch squares anywhere else. Amazon has some that are regular printer sized papers...but not the squares. Papers for Foundation Piecing: Martingale & Co: 9781564772541: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Papers-Foundation-Piecing-Martingale-Co/dp/1564772543/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367856380&sr=8-2&keywords=paper+piecing+paper)

Thanks for the information - just what I need:) Annie

rebeccas-sewing
July 15th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Don't waste your money on fancy paper for paper-piecing. Go to the art section in Walmart. Pick up a tablet of tracing paper. It's super cheap and works great. That's the only thing I use for paper-piecing. Seriously, you will be so happy to use this product and save yourself some bucks. There are 40 9" X 12" sheets of paper on a tablet. I'm guessing one tablet is less than $2. The Phone book pages sounds good, but I think it would be very confusing to use it because of all the print on the paper. Another trick that I'm using and it works really well is to stack as many sheets of paper as you need for repeats. Take the thread out of your sewing machine. Sew over the lines on the pattern. When you're done you've got all your copies ready to go on your tracing paper. All you have to do is add the numbers. The other benefit is the added perforations make it even easier to tear away the paper.

Annie
July 15th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Don't waste your money on fancy paper for paper-piecing. Go to the art section in Walmart. Pick up a tablet of tracing paper. It's super cheap and works great. That's the only thing I use for paper-piecing. Seriously, you will be so happy to use this product and save yourself some bucks. There are 40 9" X 12" sheets of paper on a tablet. I'm guessing one tablet is less than $2. The Phone book pages sounds good, but I think it would be very confusing to use it because of all the print on the paper. Another trick that I'm using and it works really well is to stack as many sheets of paper as you need for repeats. Take the thread out of your sewing machine. Sew over the lines on the pattern. When you're done you've got all your copies ready to go on your tracing paper. All you have to do is add the numbers. The other benefit is the added perforations make it even easier to tear away the paper.

Lots of ideas today - and saving money:D Thanks from Annie

skostner
July 24th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I just ordered these from MSQC. My order says it is fulfilled and they didn't say anything about not having them, so they must be in stock right now. Good luck.

Over40momma
July 24th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I have a project in play at the moment that required paper piecing and I did not care for the price of most of available items. So I went into my craft stash and found some tissue paper....cut it to the right size and it works great! You do have to be a bit gentle with it as it tears easily, but oh it is a great alternative when you need sizes that are not standard.

Grandma G
July 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Thanks for that tip! I was going to Wal-Mart this morning anyway (school supplies for my grandson) and picked up 2 pads of tracing paper. The size is 9 x 12. 40 acid free sheets and was $2.97 each. I was a happy camper. Thanks, again, Rebecca.

skostner
August 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
The scribble pads at Dollar Tree have 60 9x12 sheets for $1.

BillNye
August 2nd, 2013, 01:22 AM
Natalie always used the phone book sheets, they work great. 10" squares are handy if you don't want to precut your stuff to 10" - also, if you have any other sizes that would be great, let us know, I'd be happy to do some others if you had great project ideas for them.

Fabriclovr
August 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM

Be careful with the water... if you are using an ink jet printer, the ink can run and will not come out!

Sheena
August 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I find copier paper is too thick and the stitches come apart at the edges. Phone book paper is great. It's also good for wacky web blocks.

Claire Hallman
August 12th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I used copier paper the one time I have done some paper pieced blocks and sewed over the lines with a needle that was not threaded. I stacked all the papers up, stapled them together at the edges then sewed along the lines. It perforated the paper which tore off easily.
There a lots of folks I know that use dryer sheets and phone books for foundations.

janT
September 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I use copy paper and set my stitch length to 1.5 and I never have a problem tearing the paper off.

Bubby
September 11th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I've done a lot of paper piecing on copier paper and it has worked fine. Be sure to shorten your stitch length. Thanks, Gayle, for the link for the nice 10" papers. I will pass this link along.

Vonnie
September 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
If it's not fancy paper piecing, why not use a thin muslin? Maybe check out the thrift stores. That way you don't have to tear off paper.

Or better yet, use an 11" square of fabric, lay it down, wrong side up, layer a piece of 11" batting on top, then strip piece on top of that then square to 10". A quilt as you go. Good excuse to use all those pretty stitches on your machine without the bulk of the quilt to worry with.

jennyann
September 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM
When I did my paper peicing quilt I used phone book papers, they worked like a charm!

Mom2Caleigh
September 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I do a lot of paper piecing with the scribble pads (Dollar General) and my stitch set to 1.5. I have no problems at all. Tearing off the back is no problem at all. I leave the paper on while I join the blocks together, which keep all the edges tight.

Sometime I do "pre-stitch" without thread, but honestly, a lot of times I skip that step, without any problems at all.

Do you all have the "Add a Quarter Inch" ruler? I also use my "add an Eighth Inch" ruler when making Paper Pieced cards. I like Carol Doak's card templates for those./ She (Carol) has a great book of 50 small templates for cards, which could easily be enlarge. Sorry I am off topic.

mommadeb
September 13th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Regular copy paper for me. Works just fine. I would worry about the phonebook pages when you ironed your pieces. I think the ink could come off on your fabric.

MarianneK
September 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I use wax paper whenever I make a string quilt. I find it comes off easily and isn't too expensive. You have to remember to shorten your stitch length of course. I will pre-cut 10" squares of wax paper, make my block, resize the block to 9.5 or 9", then remove the paper.