PDA

View Full Version : - this might be a 'morbid' subject . . but who would've thunk . .

CountryHut
May 4th, 2013, 11:29 PM
-- maaaan - you can find anything on You Tube . *smacking forehead*~

quilt cot covers for the demised

don't read anything first -- just scroll down the page -

http://www.cotcovers.com/?page_id=120

shannonsaulter
May 4th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Wow..who woulda thought...

ttucsok
May 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM
The Hometown Blue is identical to a quilt I repaired for a friend.... Creepy.

auntiemern
May 5th, 2013, 12:26 AM
OMG that is so odd. Where in the world do they use anything like this? Not in my state.

Mchelem
May 5th, 2013, 02:06 AM
It's for when they pick up a family member from a home or nursing home, so that the gurney doesn't look so "clinical". They may use them and you don't know it, unless you've been there when a funeral home collected a body.

My dad was on hospice for several months and passed in our home, with his family around him, and I can see where a family would appreciate the comfort of a quilt or table cover for the gurney.

auntiemern
May 5th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I was with my mom and my MIL when both of them passed, and when the funeral home picked them up. Never seen anything like this.
It's for when they pick up a family member from a home or nursing home, so that the gurney doesn't look so "clinical". They may use them and you don't know it, unless you've been there when a funeral home collected a body.

My dad was on hospice for several months and passed in our home, with his family around him, and I can see where a family would appreciate the comfort of a quilt or table cover for the gurney.

Hulamoon
May 5th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I think it's creepy too. I was taking care of my auntie going through hospice in her home. It was bad enough for her to agree to sign for the hospice and the papers for the cremation in the living room much less look at quilts. When the time came they took her out in a body bag. It was awful, and I'm the last one. I don't know why, but I'm almost offened that people try and make money off people going through grief no matter how nice it looks.

SisterDi
May 5th, 2013, 03:44 AM
At my place of work, we were supposed to raise the rails on the stretcher and cover it squarely as if it were piled with clean linens, using a blanket over the bag. The deceased weren't usually moved through the halls unless the rec dept had rounded folks up for a tea party or a game of cards, though. Funeral directors also know the general time of meals, and try to come in and out quickly.

I have to say, I had one patient who was very young, and it gutted me to see that bag zipped over her face. A prettier blanket that had been chosen for her might have been a slight comfort to those of us who cared for her. And not that there's a comparison, but I tucked my last kitty in with the prettiest, softest yellow towel when she passed. It just felt right.

Mchelem
May 5th, 2013, 03:46 AM
At my place of work, we were supposed to raise the rails on the stretcher and cover it squarely as if it were piled with clean linens, using a blanket over the bag. The deceased weren't usually moved through the halls unless the rec dept had rounded folks up for a tea party or a game of cards, though. Funeral directors also know the general time of meals, and try to come in and out quickly.

I have to say, I had one patient who was very young, and it gutted me to see that bag zipped over her face. A prettier blanket that had been chosen for her might have been a slight comfort to those of us who cared for her. And not that there's a comparison, but I tucked my last kitty in with the prettiest, softest yellow towel when she passed. It just felt right.
I buried my puppy in a handmade blanket, embroidered with his name. My MIL still has a blanket that was made for her daughter who stillborn. I find nothing morbid about it at all. Of course I also deliver babies for a living and think that childbirth is beautiful, where others think its disgusting... To each their own.

buckeyequilter
May 5th, 2013, 06:32 AM
When my mom passed they draped the quilt I made for her over her casket. The funeral director told us that some people were ordering casket quilts...that must have been what he was talking about.

K. McEuen
May 5th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Hmm, when the funeral home picked Dad up when he died they covered him with a red crushed velvet blanket. I don't think it mattered, but it would have been bad if they stuffed him in a body bag in the house.

buckeyequilter
May 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Hmm, when the funeral home picked Dad up when he died they covered him with a red crushed velvet blanket. I don't think it mattered, but it would have been bad if they stuffed him in a body bag in the house.

We asked the undertaker to wait until we left, to take mom from the nursing home. They wheeled in the guerney with the body bag on it....the two of us that were waiting for them almost lost it when they came through the door with it. A covering might not have been so difficult to see.

Doloris
May 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I make quilts for a childrens hosp terminal ward (palliative care) SP? and some of the quilts are kept by the parents and some of them are buried with the child, but every child gets a quilt. Ages range from hours old to 18.

Iris Girl
May 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM
my mom died at home and they made hubby take me for a walk while they put her in the bag and on the guerney to get her to the funeral parlor so I have no clue what it looked like but am guessing no frills as they didn't want me there to see. I think they thought I had enough since i was here when she passed suddenly and was alone with her.

New York Sue
May 5th, 2013, 09:07 PM
My personal fav, 'whittington cocoa'...
I'm a little confused by the application. If this is for body pick-up, it's kind of silly. It's kind of hard to 'pretty' that up. Everyone knows what's going on....
If it's for a viewing, I'd like the 'whittington cocoa', thank you! I may have to rethink my outfit, though....
I jest, friends...But it is beautiful fabric!
(I didn't watch the video... Enough said.)

K. McEuen
May 5th, 2013, 09:13 PM
We asked the undertaker to wait until we left, to take mom from the nursing home. They wheeled in the guerney with the body bag on it....the two of us that were waiting for them almost lost it when they came through the door with it. A covering might not have been so difficult to see.

Yeah, my oldest sister and brother went running outside when the funeral guys got there, they couldn't handle it. I asked the guys if they needed help and then left the bedroom when they said they had it handled because it was too small for everyone to be in. I have to say the two guys that came to pick him up were very professional, nice and dressed in their suits at 6am on a Sunday morning. Certainly not a job I would want to do, but they were outstanding at it.

New York Sue
May 5th, 2013, 09:27 PM
You know, I actually looked into funeral direction as a 'cross-over' retirement career. But the education $$$$ stopped me.
I watched the video, and this is apparently well accepted, in nursing homes and such... Sounds like a one-time buy for a funeral director for transport. Me thinks the money is in the viewing piece.... ;)

kelliedi
May 5th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Well I had to identify my husbands body and the coroner already had him in the black body bag when we go to where they brought him to so that i could identify him. I will tell you that i think that the funeral industry does make/ take advantage of someone who is grieving but they do a job that most of us wouldn't be able to do or would we want to do it either. Just a side note here they charged me 900 dollars to RENT a coffin for the visitation because he was cremated after.

kelliedi
May 5th, 2013, 09:29 PM
You know, I actually looked into funeral direction as a 'cross-over' retirement career. But the education $$$$ stopped me.
I watched the video, and this is apparently well accepted, in nursing homes and such... Sounds like a one-time buy for a funeral director for transport. Me thinks the money is in the viewing piece.... ;) I am told that the best school for this type of work is in Dallas.... just so you know.

Mchelem
May 6th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I am told that the best school for this type of work is in Dallas.... just so you know.

Yes it is...... We have people come from other states to study here.