PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this

Iris Girl
May 4th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Went for a walk with hubby after dinner and we smelled such sweet trees. went to check them out and this is the picture I took. I kinda think it could be wild pear or wild bradford pear its very similar...but upon reading about the smell of bradford pear it says it smells like ...semen...not sure I know what that smells like but pretty sure its not this sweet smell. any ideas?46672

we live in the country back roads in the middle of a wildlife management area lots of swampy land

Roxanne
May 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Apple blossoms?

Roxanne
May 4th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I just looked up apple blossoms. That isn't it.

K. McEuen
May 4th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Okay, I'm just laughing. No bradford pear tree I've ever smelled has smelled like that ...

I thought of pears when I saw the blossoms too.

CountryHut
May 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM
me thinks its -- Callery Pear Blossoms

ilive2craft2
May 4th, 2013, 09:42 PM
The ones around here smell awful this year and I guess that would be a good way to describe it...heehee I guess it happens every other year.

I would guess a variety of flowering crab apple. there are so many varieties now that it is hard to figure out which ones are which.

HandsOffItsMine
May 4th, 2013, 09:50 PM
ROFLOL...I'm not touching this thread with a 10 Ft. Pole! lol :D

buckeyequilter
May 4th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess, after looking at some apple tree blossoms, and say apple. Our trees have pink blossoms on them, but there are a lot of white ones too.

Edited: Maybe a plum tree....here's a pic of plum tree blossoms.

Found this on the internet: Plum blossoms have a strong sweet scent which the old poets often remarked about.

Sandy Navas
May 4th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Let's see now - is this the only way to determine a Bradford Pear? I'm gong to have to send out for reinforcements.

Mchelem
May 4th, 2013, 10:23 PM

Here's the pink plum blossoms we have

And the Bradford pear

They look a lot alike!

kelliedi
May 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM
wild jasmine ladies...... it is a noxious weed here.... smells wonderful but will take everything over including roses....

Mchelem
May 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM
wild jasmine ladies...... it is a noxious weed here.... smells wonderful but will take everything over including roses....

Doesn't look like any wild jasmine I've ever seen

buckeyequilter
May 4th, 2013, 10:33 PM

Doesn't look like wild jasmine...the petals aren't shaped like the wild jasmine.

Greyjay
May 5th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I think it might be some sort of wild cherry, we have Bird Cherries in our garden and the scent is wonderful when they flower in early spring.

Lisapc
May 5th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I think only you Dear Iris can answer this one, in the fall when you are picking it's fruit. Just remember to let us know what it was.

tesspug
May 5th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I don't know what that is . but I can tell a dogwood by its " bark." :D

bubba
May 5th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I'm going to take a wild guess, after looking at some apple tree blossoms, and say apple. Our trees have pink blossoms on them, but there are a lot of white ones too.

Edited: Maybe a plum tree....here's a pic of plum tree blossoms.

Found this on the internet: Plum blossoms have a strong sweet scent which the old poets often remarked about.

It looks just like the blooms on my plum tree that is flowering right now. I'd go sniff them, but I am sick and can't smell anything, sorry!!

Iris Girl
May 5th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I will have to watch this tree and see what it is It sure could be plum looks exactly like that, but looks like pear too ...but doesn't smell like *they* say pear smells so I'm guessing maybe wild plum. It smells delicious. thanks all

Jean Sewing Machine
May 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I can attest to the stinky Badford Pear, but smells like that? Whew! At least they are beautiful, and the bees love them?

Alpha O
May 5th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I think you have a Wild American Plum. We have them out here in CO, too.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-39.pdf

CrazyMtnLady
May 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM
We have a lot of wild plum trees on our property and they look just like that. And they smell so nice.

Genny
May 5th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Went for a walk with hubby after dinner and we smelled such sweet trees. went to check them out and this is the picture I took. I kinda think it could be wild pear or wild bradford pear its very similar...but upon reading about the smell of bradford pear it says it smells like ...semen...not sure I know what that smells like but pretty sure its not this sweet smell. any ideas?46672

we live in the country back roads in the middle of a wildlife management area lots of swampy land

Looks like my Crab Apple Tree Blossoms.

nanaleslie
May 5th, 2013, 10:08 PM
So we agree that it is a fruit blossom then? :icon_razz:

whereiskellie
May 6th, 2013, 12:12 AM
its a crab apple blossom

whereiskellie
May 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Looks like my Crab Apple Tree Blossoms.

I grew up with two of these trees in my front yard. Its definitely a crab apple tree

WendyI
May 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Looks like an apply type blossom to me...but it's really difficult to identify without seeing the actual tree/plant it came from. Do you have a pic of it?