PDA

View Full Version : Joann's gift card and Mother's Day

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I heard from a very reliable source that my husband and my son are planning to give me $ 150 worth of Joann's gift cards for Mother's Day. Oh my, what do I buy?

I haven't been to Joann's in probably three years and I have no idea what they carry now. I know I could buy fabric, but I want to get maybe some tools too. Of course I want to get as much stuff as I can for the money.

Suggestions will be most welcome.

DCM
May 4th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I don't shop at JoAnn's because I don't have one close to me but after reading a lot of posts on this forum it sounds like they have pretty much anything a quilter would want -- it sounds as though you could really get the most for your money if you sign up to receive their coupons -- most everyone posts about all the deals they get using multiple coupons and some can even be used when the items are on sale. Happy shopping :)

Roxanne
May 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM
You can get coupons online. Just google Joanns coupons. I just printed one last week for 50% off of one item.

Sew Perfect
May 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I think one of the things you need is the bock box to store your blocks in while you're working on your quilts. Tools are always great, of course we always need thread, rulers, storage...I can go on and on. You are quilte blessed to receive such a fantastic gift! Enjoy and happy shopping!

dwil23
May 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Also for their % off total sale. Today is the last day for 15% off total, next week it will be 25% off total (including sales and clearance) if you have a card that they were giving a couple of weeks ago with a $50 purchase. I usually buy whatever I can use that they have on sale and then get the extra discount. They usually have all batting on sale and often have 50% off tools, rotary cutters, etc. and 30% off quilt fabric. Be sure to check the red tag clearance and Shannon got some great deals on clearance books. Always be sure to print a 40 or 50% off regular price coupon and they do accept competitor's coupons.

Have fun!!!!

HdWench
May 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM
How FUN!!! So your new to quilting? Rotary Mat (larger IS better) 45mm Rotary Cutter (Take OUT of package and grip them various ones fit hand different)... 4x24 Ruler (the one I use 89.9999 percent of the time)... Jelly Rolls!!! Not as much fabric as Missouri Quilt shops, but some nice batiks and with a coupon they will honor it as "fabric".. So many tutorials call for solids as background or sashing, White, Natural and/or Black I would nab - I spend endless hours in there shopping Fat Quarter to find several colors mixes for several Quilt -- Warm and Natural Cotton Batting -- Yep you can buy low=loft Poly at Walmart 5 times Cheaper BUT it's 5 times more difficult to quilt -- OHHH Spray Basting Cans (Coupon Time)

Wish we knew what you already have and just supplement the list of the Top 10 new to quilting things -- YOu don't need a ton of rules, but another 1 is the June Taylor Shape Cuts - Cuts the jelly roll strips from yardage... mmm Fabric Fabric and More!

So much of what was printed I can find on-line so the only Quilting Magazine I've bought was from this Missouri Star Quilt shop - Got to have it, Jenny is featured :-)

What a very thoughtful gift that I KNOW you will have so much fun getting --Christmas at your house for YOU when yur down shopping and get to admire all the beauties!

Do post what you get *We love seeing other peoples Lovely Fabric, rulers and everything *

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Wish we knew what you already have and just supplement the list of the Top 10 new to quilting things -- YOu don't need a ton of rules, but another 1 is the June Taylor Shape Cuts - Cuts the jelly roll strips from yardage... mmm Fabric Fabric and More!

Well, I'm not new to quilting, just took a break the last six or seven years. I have most rulers out there, but don't have the June Taylor Shape Cuts. That would really be useful. I have lots of fabric, books, rotary cutters, still got a whole bolt of fleece (which I always used for batting), also a bolt of muslin.

All this is still from my quilting days (late 1980's - mid 2000's). I did buy some new fabric this year and a couple of books. The last time I went to Joann's was about three years ago when I needed a crochet hook to make ornament covers, never went over to the quilting section.

Someone suggested a box for my quilt blocks. That would be useful too, but I wouldn't know what to look for. Like I said I'm not new to quilting, just new to modern gadgets. I need to get myself updated, so please keep the suggestions going.

Great to know about 50% off coupons, I will keep my eye out. I love a bargain

HdWench
May 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Check when Senior Citizen Day is also -- not only coupon thy accept BUT over 60 get another % knocked off total bill including Sales Items! :-)

iluvbaking
May 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Since you're experienced, you may not find a spinning cutting mat useful. I'm new to quilting and learned of it here on the board. It has helped me tremendously since I seem to only be able to cut straight in one direction and wasn't that efficient turning fabric pieces on a larger mat to get to all sides. It's great when working on small pieces. Here's the JoAnn's link to the 12x12" size. They also have 17x17" which is terrific when squaring 12" blocks. At the time I felt it was a bit extravagant but, for me, it was well worth the time it saves me. Here's my rule when I shop at JoAnn's, even when I have gift cards: NEVER PAY FULL PRICE! Have fun!
http://www.joann.com/olfa-spinning-rotary-mat-12-x12-/prd29158/

One thing I love about this board is there is always something to learn. I never heard of a box to hold quilt blocks. I LOVE that idea. Searched JoAnn's on line to give you a link to see it but had no luck. I have a nice plastic box to hold 12x 12" scrapbooking paper that I think I got at Michaels for around $5 on sale. May get one for my 12" blocks I'm making with a group of seniors. JoAnn's must have them too. Plastic may not be good for long-term storage but we are literally only making one block a month and I've not really had a good place to "safely" save the blocks as we complete them.

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Check when Senior Citizen Day is also -- not only coupon thy accept BUT over 60 get another % knocked off total bill including Sales Items! :-)

Thank you for that info. You mean even if I have coupons and buy sales items I can still get whatever % off the total bill? That's great to know, and yes, I qualify.

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Since you're experienced, you may not find a spinning cutting mat useful. I'm new to quilting and learned of it here on the board. It has helped me tremendously since I seem to only be able to cut straight in one direction and wasn't that efficient turning fabric pieces on a larger mat to get to all sides. It's great when working on small pieces. Here's the JoAnn's link to the 12x12" size. They also have 17x17" which is terrific when squaring 12" blocks. At the time I felt it was a bit extravagant but, for me, it was well worth the time it saves me. Here's my rule when I shop at JoAnn's, even when I have gift cards: NEVER PAY FULL PRICE! Have fun!
http://www.joann.com/olfa-spinning-rotary-mat-12-x12-/prd29158/

One thing I love about this board is there is always something to learn. I never heard of a box to hold quilt blocks. I LOVE that idea. Searched JoAnn's on line to give you a link to see it but had no luck. I have a nice plastic box to hold 12x 12" scrapbooking paper that I think I got at Michaels for around $5 on sale. May get one for my 12" blocks I'm making with a group of seniors. JoAnn's must have them too. Plastic may not be good for long-term storage but we are literally only making one block a month and I've not really had a good place to "safely" save the blocks as we complete them.

Thank you for the link to the spinning cutting mat. I've seen it used in several videos.

I will check at Joann's for the block box, but if I can't find it, we have a Michaels and I'll go there and check it out. I think that would be a really useful item to have. My finished blocks are usually just stacked on top of a pile of fabric.

K. McEuen
May 4th, 2013, 05:13 PM
June Tailor Shape Cut Plus http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-shape-cut-plus/prd17893/

Snapware storage organzier, I have a couple of these for different projects in process http://www.joann.com/snapware-large-10-x-14-rectangle-2-layers/zprd_01145838a/

Of course extra rotary blades are always a good purchase, as well as specialty threads you might want. I love getting the variegated threads when they are on sale at Joann's. Sulky is usually on sale online when I buy it.

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
June Tailor Shape Cut Plus http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-shape-cut-plus/prd17893/

Snapware storage organzier, I have a couple of these for different projects in process http://www.joann.com/snapware-large-10-x-14-rectangle-2-layers/zprd_01145838a/

Of course extra rotary blades are always a good purchase, as well as specialty threads you might want. I love getting the variegated threads when they are on sale at Joann's. Sulky is usually on sale online when I buy it.

Thank you for the links. I will definitely get one of the June Taylor Shape Cut mats.

Now I have a question. I have two different rotary cutters, one is a Fiskars and one a Dritz. I have both in the 45 mm and 28mm size, and neither one will cut through more than two layers without having to go over and over, even with a new blade. Should I get a 60mm? Will that work with the June Taylor mat? And what is the best rotary cutter? It's really frustrating because I see those online tutorials and Jenny and other people cut through several layers of fabric like it was butter, and I can't seem to do it.

K. McEuen
May 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Now I have a question. I have two different rotary cutters, one is a Fiskars and one a Dritz. I have both in the 45 mm and 28mm size, and neither one will cut through more than two layers without having to go over and over, even with a new blade. Should I get a 60mm? Will that work with the June Taylor mat? And what is the best rotary cutter? It's really frustrating because I see those online tutorials and Jenny and other people cut through several layers of fabric like it was butter, and I can't seem to do it.

I have a Fiskars 45mm cutter, and a tiny one, not sure what brand for the circle cutter. I cut through at least 4 layers of fabric with no problem and have been known to cut through 8. I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble, even with a new blade. What kind of cutting mat are you using? Is it a self-healing mat or one of the older, harder plastic ones? Those will ruin your blade in a heartbeat. Or even if your self-healing mat is old and not healing well it might cause a problem. I'm sure the 60mm cutter would work with the Shape Cut ruler, but I'd try to figure out why the other blades are giving you so much grief first. No sense in ruining another size if you don't really need it.

shannonsaulter
May 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joanna can be fun just use lots of coupons...I got my ottlite today it was 40% off then had a 15% off coupon..love using them and making them work..Enjoy!!!

still learning
May 4th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Karen, I never even gave a thought to my cutting mat. It is an Olfa, the green one with the grid on one side and then plain green on the other. It is supposed to be self healing, but it's over ten years old. i think I will need a new one. I'm so glad you mentioned it. I guess I assumed (should never assume) that they would last forever.