PDA

View Full Version : Look What I Can't Find!

MrsSimmons
February 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Okay, I need some help. A few months ago I came across a photo site where a woman posted pictures of her new sewing room. She had installed it in a basement room, I believe, because instead of putting carpet or flooring down, she painted the concrete to look like a giant patchwork quilt.

Well, fast forward to today and my mother is having a room in her basement finished out so we can have a sewing studio at her house. Of course, we want a giant patchwork quilt painted on the floor and I would like to find that picture so we can use it for inspiration.

Has anyone else run across this and can you post the link? My browser history does not go back far enough. Help!

Patrice
February 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
did you try the quiltingboard.com and type a search on there. maybe you saw it there

Dragonfly
February 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm truly sorry I can't help you, I would love to have seen that. If anyone finds it PLEASE post a link it sounds intriguing.

bakermom
February 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Just a thought, look up "barn quilts". You might get an idea there.

janluna
February 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Haven't seen it but would love to see yours when you are done! Hugs, Jan L

Sandy Navas
February 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I saw it. I even had correspondence with the woman who did it but for the life of me I CAN'T remember where it was. It may have been through http://www.quiltingboard.com/ or Mystic Quilts (can't locate their website right now). I'll look for it and see if I can turn up something for you. I do remember that she didn't plan on doing the quilt flooring but wound up doing it because they didn't have enough tiles in the same color to do her floor so they improvised.

I'll be back . . .

Sandy Navas
February 10th, 2011, 12:24 AM
/This isn't the one I was thinking of, but maybe this will help you: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91886-1.htm

MrsSimmons
February 10th, 2011, 01:35 AM
That one is cute. It looks like tiles of some kind instead of paint. Interesting idea!

rebeccas-sewing
February 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Really neat!!! I wonder how long that took? Painting concrete, what a super idea and so inexpensive! I wonder how well it holds up? Looks like they put lots of coats of polyurethane or something similar to protect it. I've got ugly indoor/outdoor carpet on my front steps leading up to our front door. I've never gotten around to changing it since we moved in 17 years ago. I've considered trying something like this but can't get up the courage to try it. I'd love to talk to someone who has actually done it. Maybe U-tube has a demo. I'll have to check it out.

Blondie
February 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Rebecca
You could paint your front stoop - whether it is concrete or wood. Either way you start with a clean floor and primer/sealer.
For the porch you can use outside paint and there are some crafts stores that sell concrete paint. The kind people use for statues, etc. Personally, if the expense got too much for special paint, try a small patch somewhere and test it out. The key is also in the sealing. I painted a floor cloth on my kitchen floor over 10 years ago. It is by the side door and it is still there. I added several coats of poly over it. I would like to paint my kitchen floor all over but you know how many times we walk into a kitchen? LOL. I have also painted in my basement floor but in that old room now you can't see the floor because we are the storage center of the family.
It can be done. It was fun for me.