PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Cotton Prices

Sandy Navas
February 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I hope I'm not out of line in posting this. It was sent to me by a dear friend. Quilting is going to get more expensive . . . 3132

Okay, I guess I can't attach a .pdf file . . . sorry.

Sandy Navas
February 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I hope I'm not out of line in posting this. It was sent to me by a dear friend. Quilting is going to get more expensive . . . 3132

Okay, I guess I can't attach a .pdf file . . . sorry.

If you drag your mouse over the dots after the word expensive and then double click on the big grey spot it will open a dialog box asking if you want to open the file or save it. Whatever you chose - then you can view the document.

sewhot
February 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Very interesting perspective. Great find, thank you for sharing.

Blondie
February 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Thank you for the article. Read another article very similiar to this a few months back. Gave me a laugh, actually. Gosh, I guess this guy must know that there is inflation. LOL. I remember when gas stations had gas wars and would lower prices to get the business.

I also remember purchasing fabric by the POUND at textile outlets in NC and SC -
I wish we would get our manufacturing BACK in this country.

While I am NOT really old, it seems that way when you consider that when I was in college in the early 70's gas was 25 cents a gallon. A few short years later there we were assigned days to purchase and the lines were terrible.

Oh well, if cotton keeps going up and the fabric feels as rough and cheap as it has been lately for affordable fabric, I will just do like my Granny and continue to cut up clothes. I really don't like the nasty feel of the fabrics. The top line is already out of my budget. Sigh.
But I CAN shop at the thrifts. And do!
Of course we still have our MSQC with their magical deal of the day.

chrina2
February 10th, 2011, 02:52 AM
As with everything today - prices are inflated as the currency inflates. Things may have been cheaper to buy 10 years ago - but wages were also lower too - so it sort of balances out.....sort of.

The cost of goods has inflated a more then wages - but that is something we will NEVER escape.

As a young girl, my grandmother made 90% of my clothes, but now that I'm a mom and would like to make my own daughters things to wear, I hate to say it, but I can usually find it for cheaper then the cost to make it - so we have a toss up on what I make for them. Even PJ pants cost more to make after buying the material, thread and little accessories if we choose to put them on, then what I could pick them up for. And trust me, I look for the deals in the fabric stores and try to find everything on sale It really is a shame.

My family laughed at me when I specifically bought fabric for a quilt, all matching and coordinating, and kept telling me that quilts should be made from scraps. Sure, but this one was special, and I was happy to spend the money.

Quilting is not a cheap hobby - but it is one that should last a lifetime!