PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A Sewing Room In The Basement?

Sew Perfect
May 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have a 4 bedroom house; one of my bedrooms is my sewing room. I recently did a poll on whether I should keep my sewing room as it is or move it to the bedroom my daughter just moved out of. It's the on that faces the back garden.

Now to the point:

The contractor guy just left my house. He was here looking at some things we need taken care of. Some of our windows need to be replaced, we need some doors replaced, and then I showed him our basement. My husband and I have been talking about getting half of it finished off. We want the area where we exercise to be finished off and the other side to be something else, such as a sewing room. I would like french doors between the 2 rooms.

I explained to him that I wanted to keep our home a 4 bedroom home for when we have grandchildren and for resale value. The last thing we want is another T.V. room, so I explained to him about my passion for sewing. We already have two windows in the basement where the sewing room would be and he would had another. We discussed built in shelving, flooring, french doors, and all else on the subject. When we were finished talking and brain storming, I once again expressed to him just how it is important to have a fantastic room to sew in. I told him that once our windows are taken care of, that room is at the top of my list.

So...back to my question:

Who has their sewing room in their basement and how do you like it? Do you feel afraid at night or anything like that? Also, if you have pictures, would you mind posting them so I can see for ideas?

Thanks in advance.

kensington
May 2nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
I do not. I like having my sewing room on my main floor so that I can stop and sew or sew and go as I please. Sometimes, I want to put something in the oven and sew for the hour or half hour while it's in. I have a finished basement, but no desire to go up and down the stairs all the time to access my craft room. I understand, I have gone over this many times also in my head. I have 6 bedrooms and sometimes think I should make the big one on the 3rd floor my sewing room. Or the Master suite in the finished basement, it's walk out so it's just like an apartment down there. I just can't get past having to go up or down stairs all the time to spend time here and there sewing. I just like having it down the hall from the living room, the den where I am now or just steps from the kitchen. Even though, moving it would give me a bigger space. I feel for ya. I just don't know what you should do.

Hulamoon
May 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
No basement but a loft. That was our bedroom when we first built. Added on when second kiddo was coming. It was a really small house. I'm not afraid of the dark for some reason. We never lock our doors and I've been known to take walks up the street at 2 am. lol It's a super peaceful place.

As far as space. I have built in shelving and then a Home Depot cabinet. Three tables. One is an old wooden foldout dinning table and the other two are banquet tables from Wally world. Some rolling (4) stacked containers. Peg board and other containers that go under the tables. I have a before pic but not after when I did the comic book cards. It gets really hot up there though.

mom4him
May 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
I don't. My sewing area is a very small space in our bedroom. It makes my knees hurt just to think about going up and down the stairs all the time to sew. We had our bedrooms down stairs and moved them up about 18months ago. My knees haven't felt so good in years. Personally, I would not want to move my area down stairs even if it gained me a lot of room.

bubba
May 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
When I did woodworking, my shop was in the basement. That was before our big remodel and you had to go outside to get into the basement and I was always a little scared. Now that it is accessed from only inside the house, it would not bother me, but I would not put my sewing room down there. In the rainy season, it gets too damp and I'd be afraid of my machines getting damaged.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM
I do have my main sewing room in the basement. It doesn't have windows but is very well lit. It has storage for fabrics and threads, several sewing stations, and I designed it with my contractor who finished the whole basememt. I have a big bedroom down there, which is where I do my quilt layout and have a partial fabric stash. That room has all the windows, so I put french doors on it so light can come into the family room area. Then I have a partially finished room (walls but not the floor or ceiling). It was going to be my late husband's workshop, unfortunately, he passed away before he could use it. There is also a bathroom and linen closet, plus a cedar closet for storage. I love it! I can make a mess, especially when I am costuming a big show and close the basement door and guests can't see the mess. Love it. The only time I don't like the steps is when the doorbell rings, I have a long trek to answer it. It is cool down there in the summer, and warmer in winter than upstairs. Very comfortable and plenty of room. My longarm is in the workshop part of the basement.

Bubby
May 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
My Hubs wanted to make me a sewing studio out of our detached 2-car garage. It's about 20 feet from our front door. At first I was tempted by the thought of all that space. Then I thought about how I sew. I often have trouble sleeping and I love to wander into my sewing room, which is off our kitchen, and sew for an hour or so. Then I thought about what I might encounter outside on the way to my sewing room in the middle of the night...possibly snakes in the summer and ice in the winter. Keeping my sewing space where it is was my decision. My space is small but well organized. I can do laundry and also monitor food on the stove with just a few steps away from my sewng. My husband likes to check on me if he wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm not in bed...I know he wouldn't like walking outdoors to the garage.

Think about how you sew. I have heard from others that having their sewing space either up or down from where they live deters them from sewing. Take your age into consderation also...how many years do you think you would be able to run up and down the stairs? There are a lot of considerations. If you already have health issues this might not be the best decision. I never thought I would get old, but it happened anyway!!

Good luck making your decision!

K. McEuen
May 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
No basements in New Mexico, but I don't get the "scared" part of having a sewing room in the basement. What is there to be afraid of, the house caving in on you?

Bubby
May 2nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Karen....The Boogieman lives in the basement! We have a basement in our old house in town and we call it the Dungeon!!

K. McEuen
May 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Karen....The Boogieman lives in the basement! We have a basement in our old house in town and we call it the Dungeon!!

Ya know, I was wondering if that was what was meant. I can understand if you are scared of flooding or water damage, and if you have to go outside to get to the basement, but really, it shouldn't be any different than any other part of your house. Personally I'd love it if we could utilize basements here because of the cool/heat aspect that Jean mentioned.

Gayle8675309
May 2nd, 2013, 06:51 PM
I have my sewing room in my basement and I love it. It has patio doors that walk out onto a garden, so there is a lot of natural light. My hubby put in tru-white lights and built me a huge quilting table. My sewing room takes up 1/2 of our full finished basement. I love it down there! :)

Claire Hallman
May 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
My sewing room is in the basement, in fact we bought this house so I could have room for a drapery sewing business. No longer in business but still sewing.
I almost always just sew in the daytime but would not be afraid of being there at night if I wanted. The only advice I have is to make sure you have a bathroom on the same level. I went up and downstairs for years and finally put in a toilet. It was a very happy day.
We actually have two stories plus the basement and I don't go up and down any more than necessary but I feel that because I have been using stairs for the last 13 years I will be able to continue using stairs for at least another 13.
I could take some pictures but they would not be pretty or anything to pattern your space from. It is fairly rough with an open raftered ceiling and concrete walls. I do have some ceiling tiles on one wall that I use as a design wall.

Gayle8675309
May 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I have my sewing room in my basement and I love it. It has patio doors that walk out onto a garden, so there is a lot of natural light. My hubby put in tru-white lights and built me a huge quilting table (4 feet by 7 feet). My sewing room takes up 1/2 of our full finished basement. I love it down there! :)

Sew Perfect
May 2nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
As of now, the stairs don't bother me. We already live in a 2 story how and my husband and I already decided if the stairs became too much for us that we would move. Right now, we are 45 years old, hopefully there's some time.

I'm thinking, like Jean, it would be a good idea which is why I want to know what others prefer for themselve

Yes, the boogieman lives in the basement. LOL

Genny
May 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
I have a 4 bedroom house; one of my bedrooms is my sewing room. I recently did a poll on whether I should keep my sewing room as it is or move it to the bedroom my daughter just moved out of. It's the on that faces the back garden.

Now to the point:

The contractor guy just left my house. He was here looking at some things we need taken care of. Some of our windows need to be replaced, we need some doors replaced, and then I showed him our basement. My husband and I have been talking about getting half of it finished off. We want the area where we exercise to be finished off and the other side to be something else, such as a sewing room. I would like french doors between the 2 rooms.

I explained to him that I wanted to keep our home a 4 bedroom home for when we have grandchildren and for resale value. The last thing we want is another T.V. room, so I explained to him about my passion for sewing. We already have two windows in the basement where the sewing room would be and he would had another. We discussed built in shelving, flooring, french doors, and all else on the subject. When we were finished talking and brain storming, I once again expressed to him just how it is important to have a fantastic room to sew in. I told him that once our windows are taken care of, that room is at the top of my list.

So...back to my question:

Who has their sewing room in their basement and how do you like it? Do you feel afraid at night or anything like that? Also, if you have pictures, would you mind posting them so I can see for ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I think a sewing room in the basement would be great, but personally given the choice...I'd go for the room that faces the garden.:icon_bigsmile:

asta
May 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
My room is in the basement and I love it, I have all the room that I want, just move things out of the way and voila, I have more space. That being said, once I have things set the way I would like them my husband and son have said they will put up the additional walls so I have a real room. It is also nice all of our old kitchen cabinetry is there for my storage and I get my own private bath down there too.
Beth

Karena1984
May 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
In the future my sewing room will be in my basement. Right now it takes up half my bedroom! I would give anything for more room!

WendyI
May 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
If your basement is finished and you plan to add a window and such, and it's got the feel of the rest of your home then I see no reason not to put it down there. I personally would prefer a garden view but if you can get more space then I always go for space! Right now I'm starting to absorb my upstairs family room and it's getting really cramped up here. It's really more of a sitting room but my boys like to be near me when I'm sewing as to all the animals so it gets pretty crowded. LOL! I have been thinking of knocking out the wall in the spare bedroom to make the "family room" bigger!!

I think your new room in the basement sounds great...you have to weigh the pros and cons in your own mind. Make a list of how you sew...do you often check food in the oven like others? Do you like to wander in and out like Barb at all hours? Will you have a place for your DH to spend time down there with you? I love lists for making decisions!

SallyO'Sews
May 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
My sewing space is where my machine is in the corner of the living room, plus the dining room table, plus my college-age DS#8's bedroom, where I keep all my "toys" (aka fabric). But DS is graduating and moving home :D next weekend, so I have to get his room somewhat cleared out. Last time he was home he agreed to share his space with me, but we have to move his brother's bed out (not to worry, DS#7 got married last December, so he won't be needing it) and add some storage shelves & bins.

The only problem with my basement is that there is no natural light, and if the power goes out (as it did a few weeks ago when DD#10 had friends over) it gets SERIOUSLY dark down there.

Also...
The boogeyman lives in the basement. And he has cooties. :icon_razz:

New York Sue
May 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Mine is in the basement. But I worry about musty smells and such. We have flooded before, in '05 we had 4.5 FEET of water there.
I try to keep everything portable. My sewing counter is mounted on heavy-duty brackets, and my fabric is stored in air-tight bins. ZIP lock is my friend. Never had a lick of water until '05, but have had a couple of close calls since, and we watch the water table like a hawk. Seems we live above one of the most richest aquifers in the country! But I'll take that, versus the threat of NO water, anyday.
When 'young-one' moves out I will probably relocate to the main floor. I'm getting too old for the water drills!

buckeyequilter
May 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
My sewing room is attached to the house but I have to go outside to go in the sewing room. Since I work I'm not usually in my sewing room past 8 pm during the week. I don't mind it because it's a large area (was added to the house for a storage room). I have a front and back door, windows all across the back, heat, air conditioning.....so I'm comfortable. There is no way I could use our basement...it is just a tiny room and it gets damp (and the boogieman and his spiders live there).

Sew Perfect
May 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
If your basement is finished and you plan to add a window and such, and it's got the feel of the rest of your home then I see no reason not to put it down there. I personally would prefer a garden view but if you can get more space then I always go for space! Right now I'm starting to absorb my upstairs family room and it's getting really cramped up here. It's really more of a sitting room but my boys like to be near me when I'm sewing as to all the animals so it gets pretty crowded. LOL! I have been thinking of knocking out the wall in the spare bedroom to make the "family room" bigger!!

I think your new room in the basement sounds great...you have to weigh the pros and cons in your own mind. Make a list of how you sew...do you often check food in the oven like others? Do you like to wander in and out like Barb at all hours? Will you have a place for your DH to spend time down there with you? I love lists for making decisions!
Hi Wendy, the great is that I could still see the gardan from the basement. It will be even better when there are 3 windows rather just the 2.

ChristineB
May 2nd, 2013, 11:23 PM
My sewing room is on the second floor, in my daughters old bedroom (both daughters are married and moved out). My basement was finished a while ago and it is our main tv / entertainment hub. And, actually, my daughter and her husband lived down there for the first two years of their marriage - it helped them save money for their house. Also, it is the place that my sister and her husband stay when they come visit for a few days at a time. There is no room for me to put my sewing room down there.

CountryHut
May 2nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
I just wish I had a basement :|

tamsterg7
May 3rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
Mine is in the basement, avhuge room my dh made for me and I lovev it. Good partnis so much room, and he lit it up like you would'nt believe, but I do miss natural light. Bad part is no bathroom down there and the older I get the more it is becoming an issue! Your space sounds likevitvwo6ld be lovely, goodnluck with your decision.

Cat n bull
May 3rd, 2013, 12:17 AM
No basements here, we are on the edge of swamp land and the water table is way too high. I have crayfish in my yard.

I think it all depends on the basement. My husband and I lived in his parent's finished basement. Dehumidifiers took care of the dampness issues, it was very comfortable.

Our first house of our own, however, no way no how could there be anything in the basement. Too dark too damp too BLECH, house was almost 100 years old.

Sounds like your basement will make a WONDERFUL sewing room!

Madeforyouinma11
May 3rd, 2013, 12:46 AM
We have three bedrooms, two on the main floor and ours is upstairs, which is really the attic made into a bedroom the full length of the house. Our basement is 3/4 finished and 1/4 remains a work/storage area. There is a bathroom down there with a toilet, sink and shower. My laundry is also in the bathroom. My daughter and son-in-law live down there right now. They have the large main room that they use for their living room, kitchen and have partitioned off an area for my daughters step son when he is here. There is a separate room for their bedroom. I've thought about putting my sewing room down there someday but I have a full sized room on the main floor that I have been forever changing to get it the way I want it. I figure that by the time I could move to the basement, I'll like the room I'm in too much to move.
It's a good idea as long as its dry. Let us know what you decide, and post pics.

SuzyQue
May 3rd, 2013, 12:58 AM
My sewing studio is in our finished basement. We live on a hill, so water is/hasn't been a problem. We have small windows, but hubby put in lots of great lighting when we finished the ceiling. The family room is down there, so as they play or watch tv, I can sew and we can all be together doing our own activities. It is cooler in the summer and, with the addition of a propane fireplace, warm and toasty in the winter. Our son has a desk in one corner for his studies, so I am handy and close in my sewing area for his many questions and to keep him on pace. I have my mid-arm quilting machine, shelving, and ironing board set up all the time. I have a large cabinet for cutting and a corner cabinet for the sewing machine and serger. I have a table to stack things on or do crafts on in the studio, too. It is a tight space, but very workable. I don't have a bathroom, but it is just up the stairs. I do have a small kitchen area to have access to a frig or a coffee pot, if wanted. It works for us.
When we first moved here, I had a small spare bedroom on the second floor. Baby number 3 took that space within a few years. I moved my sewing to the corner of the schoolroom/dining room. I didn't sew near as much then. I was busier with the kiddos and although conveniently located, I had to keep it clean all the time.....just didn't work well for me. I still keep my stash in the walk in closet/attic storage of that first bedroom, but the bedroom is needed for visiting kids and guests. So........when we finished the basement, I moved the sewing to the basement. If you are following along....yes, my stash is 2 floors up from my sewing studio....which is not handy, but it does keep the family room neater and I can call it exercise to go look for fabric! I do have shelving and lots of scraps in the studio, which eliminates frequent trips up 2 floors!! I always thought as the kids moved out I would take over a bedroom upstairs again. NOPE!!!.......with kids living away, they need sleeping spaces when they return home.....at least for now. If mobility ever becomes an issue, we can make some changes....but I believe the stair climbing is good for me, at least for now!

Ellimay
May 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
I prefer being on the main floor, as stairs are an enemy to me. Also think about the lighting in the basement???
I have 2 large windows in my sewing / masterbedroom (huge one). where I am content to have natural light
in the room while sewing. I have a TV in there and can watch or listen to programs while sewing. And my two doggy babies are always with me. Lighting would be more of a concern for me and stairs , forget it

Sew Perfect
May 3rd, 2013, 01:55 AM
It really seems like everyone has a nice sewing space so far. What I'm reading is that nearly everyone who sews in their finished basement really loves it.

Trish04
May 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Mine is in our basement. It is unfinished but has three large windows. I have a sewing table I bought from hobby lobby when it went our of business here. So lots of room, but I have enclosed it with bookshelves to make it more like a room. Wish it was finished ohh the plans I have in My head LOL

ConnieNana
May 3rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
Some areas of Texas have basements. My daughter in Amarillo does. I wouldn't like to have a sewing room downstairs. The knees are not as good as they used to be. I would like more space. We raised 7 children in 1800 sq ft. They are all married and have left home. Amazing there is not enough room for my stuff and my dh doesn't have enough room for his. But we manage. Good luck with your decision.

Dustymae
May 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM
Mine is in the basement. So is my laundry and a family room. So all the comforts. I love it down there. If I sew late into the night, I don't t disturb hubby. I am a chicken!! And yet it doesn't bother me a bit to be downstairs; in fact quite the opposite. If my husband is out for the evening, I'm much more content downstairs where I don't t hear the street noise. No pic, sorry. It's not a proper sewing room. Just a corner of the family room.

Tanya D
May 3rd, 2013, 06:24 PM
We live in a bi-level so when you come in the front door, you can either go upstairs or downstairs. Our family room and Eric's bedroom and bathroom are down there. Originally Eric was upstairs so when he moved down to the basement, I took over his old room. It's not very big but it is my space. I had some blocks laid out the other day and it was nice to be able to leave them out and just close the door so the dog wouldn't go in there and disturb my layout.

I originally set up in the basement. Our family room is half the house but we only use half the space for the family room. The other half is open with just a computer desk so I had room but I always had to put stuff away right away...and it was dark. I much prefer my own room...just would like it bigger.

Musical_Starling
May 3rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
My house is a split entry, like Tanya's, but my basement is unfinished lol So no sewing room in the basement for me! With that being said, if we do stay here in the province then my sewing room WILL be in the basement in the future. But that depends on whether or not our Premier decides to haul her head out of her arse in the next three years... lol

institches64
May 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
I have my sewing room in the basement and I hate it frankly. We have a ranch so I only have the 2 little windows along the top edge so not a lot of light gets in thru there. I prefer natural sunlight and would love to have a room like my mom's, where she has good natural light. Also, we never had water in the basement but 3 years ago, we had so much rain that our entire basement flooded for a week! Of course, we had just put down a wood floor and painted my walls a pretty cantelope color! Some day I will have a room with huge windows to sew by.

New York Sue
May 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM
UPSTAIRS, chica! That's my final recommendation.

IBake
May 3rd, 2013, 11:17 PM
have my sewing room in the basement, sharing the guest bedroom with it. I don't mind going down there, I just wish that I had the whole room to myself. I have considered moving upstairs to the spare bedroom, or moving the guest bed upstairs-which hubby isn't excited about.....I JUST WANT THE WHOLE ROOM TO MYSELF!!!! But it doesn't bother me going down there..We have a large window that gives light all day long..that and we have a toad that lives in the window well. We keep taking him out and he keeps coming back in. silly toad.

Sew Perfect
May 4th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Okay...I just got totally scared with the whole water flooding the basement thing. I would be devastated if my sewing machines and fabric got ruined! Maybe I will take the advice of some and just stay in my lovely 12 X 12 sewing room I'm in. It has lots of natural light and faces the street and big trees.

The word "flood" scares me to death!

MayinJerset
May 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Wish we had a basement but water table is high in our area. My sewing room is on 2nd floor in a guest bedroom. Plus features are a nice big window (only see sky and top of trees but it is a pleasant view), big storage closet for stash as well as a big jelly cabinet in hallway and there is a full bathroom for quick potty stops. Minus features are the stairs but I try to go up and down at least once a day (do one step at a time but it keeps my knees going), it is a cape cod house so there isn't any full walls for a big design wall and can't cook while I sew. Going to have DH put a new top on my sewing desk so I can increase the size for easier handling of the quilts as they get larger.

Southlady1
May 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
OK.....I WISH I had a basement. Heck, I WISH I had a house. I live in a 2 bedroom apt until I grow up and figure out if I wanna stay in FL or return to Bham AL. My dilema is this: when my DS moved out a year ago, I was THRILLED with the second bedroom as my sewing /painting room. Now almost a year later, I'm seriously thinking about moving into the second bedroom as my bedroom and the master suite as the sewing/painting studio. I'm just not sure what to do.

a1angiem
May 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Mine is in the basement, but it's a raised bungalow so I have higher ceilings and fairly big windows so it's not too basement-y! Here is a video tour of my space, filmed BEFORE I became a quilter so the storage & counter space have changed to house fabric and more machines and a quilt frame!!!! Most of the time I am just fine being in my girl-cave and spend a lot of time down here...but after watching American Horror Story I can sometimes creep myself out, especially if I have to go 'under the stairs' to get something! lol! I just try not to think about it, put on the radio, and have my dog with me to scare away the ghosts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ldRD4uhN7A

els173
May 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I finished my basement specifically so I'd have a dedicated space for quilting. When I started quilting, it was on the dining room table, with supplies stored anywhere I had room. It was a nightmare to clean up if I had friends coming over. Now I can be as messy as I want, but it's out of sight of visitors. I do have to run a dehumidifier in the summer, but that's to be expected since I live near the Chesapeake. I just have it run constantly and drain into the sump.

MsRabbott
May 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I work from home so our spare bedroom serves as my office and sewing/scrapping room. We're planning on moving my room into my Hubby's existing shop this summer to free up this room for our next child, and I was concerned about poor lighting in the basement. I have pipe dreams of installing an egress window, but chances of that happening are fat and slim!! That's the one thing I really love about this room, lots of natural light because it's on the south side of the house. The shop is directly below me and only had one tiny window, so an egress window would be amazing! But I'd rather spend the few grand on a new machine than a window! LOL

Jean Sewing Machine
May 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I work from home so our spare bedroom serves as my office and sewing/scrapping room. We're planning on moving my room into my Hubby's existing shop this summer to free up this room for our next child, and I was concerned about poor lighting in the basement. I have pipe dreams of installing an egress window, but chances of that happening are fat and slim!! That's the one thing I really love about this room, lots of natural light because it's on the south side of the house. The shop is directly below me and only had one tiny window, so an egress window would be amazing! But I'd rather spend the few grand on a new machine than a window! LOL
Note about egress windows, every house in our 7 year old subdivision that has one (which is almost everyone) has had problems with them leaking in hard rains. Not that our contractor was the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it may be something to think about how and where they're installed, and what the outside landscaping does to catch or divert water away from them. My landscaping helped the water to drain IN, not away. 4 or 5 sessions with another landscaper finally has rendered it not a problem anymore, but it was an expensive fix, worth a couple of nice sewing machines! Fluorescent fixtures work great and are much cheaper! And you get the same light, day or night. Just sayin'!

Sew Perfect
May 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Egres windows scare me for that reason. The same goes for walk up basements. Water is bad and a lot of home owner's insurance doesn't cover flooding.

mom4him
May 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Note about egress windows, every house in our 7 year old subdivision that has one (which is almost everyone) has had problems with them leaking in hard rains. Not that our contractor was the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it may be something to think about how and where they're installed, and what the outside landscaping does to catch or divert water away from them. My landscaping helped the water to drain IN, not away. 4 or 5 sessions with another landscaper finally has rendered it not a problem anymore, but it was an expensive fix, worth a couple of nice sewing machines! Fluorescent fixtures work great and are much cheaper! And you get the same light, day or night. Just sayin'!

We have egress windows in the lower part of our home. They all have a window well around them as the ground is to high to accommodate an egress without the well. Once we got the land scaping right we have not had any problems. You need to make sure that the water flows away from them and need to not have anything that can block that flow.