PDA

View Full Version : The very first day of May!

Monique
May 1st, 2013, 07:13 AM

Good morning friends. I see that Blondie popped in here yesterday. Glad to hear Momma is on the mend.

My, how I love Lily of the Valley and Lilacs. I can't wait until they are in bloom.

I think today will be a very warm day around here finally. Lots of sunshine predicted this week. Spring, you have finally arrived and I could not be any happier. If I can make it home at lunch, I will be doing hubby's laundry and hanging it outside.

Today should be interesting at work. One of my co-workers is off today and there is another lady coming in for the day. So I am going to be sorting the mail this morning. Sorry people, I may get things mixed up today.

My right top eyelid has been twitching for some time now. It is very annoying. It seems that stress, not enough sleep could be a factor. I am hoping that when I am done this assignment that the twitching will stop.

Well to all my friends, have an absolutely wonderful day.

pixiedust0830
May 1st, 2013, 07:16 AM
Good morning... :icon_wave:

Monique
May 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM
Good morning... :icon_wave:

Good morning to you and welcome to the forum.

Mpyles
May 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM
Good morning all!!

Monique, I have that twitch thing from time to time..has gone on for days....annoying I know!!

Day 3 of my vacation count down!!! Today I will be busy finishing up my end of month numbers and inventory at my store in Springfield, while putting out 20 new menu items, then off to Lebanon, MO to do the same. It will be a long day, but at the end of it I will be a day closer to vacation!!

I have enjoyed the "where ya from" thread and seeing where everyone is at.

I have not stepped into my sewing room for two days....too tired at the end of my day. Sad I I know!s hopefully things will calm down and I can spend time in my sanctuary!!

Everyone have a safe, happy day!!

Bubby
May 1st, 2013, 08:26 AM
Good Morning,

I ended up mowing all day yesterday until almost dark last night. Jeff did the trimming and the ditches that I can't manage and I did the rest. We had some trouble with our mowers, but we were able to get things done.

Jeff is leaving for his hunting trip tomorrow morning before daylight, so I will spend most of the day today baking and getting him ready to go.

I managed to get the top done on the Summer Bazaar quilt yesterday. It needs a good press and then off to the quilter. This one doesn't need borders, just have to piece the backing.

It's hard to believe it's May 1st. Where is this year going!!

I wish everyone a good Wednesday. I think I'm heading back to bed for a little more rest.

Hugs, Barb

MRoy
May 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Good morning! It's going to be a beautiful day here, but the rain and cool is supposed to be back this weekend. I mowed my front yard for the second time in two days yesterday because it seemed rough from the first cut. It was amazing how much the grass had grown in 24 hours. All the cutting and trimming is done now for another week. Nothing exciting here, three months until retirement kicks in....can hardly wait!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Hello everyone! It was good to see Blondie's post yesterday. I hope her mom gets better soon, and back home and feeling OK. Sounds like Mom may still have some recuperating to do from such a bad infection. I say, don't let them come home too soon, or they might get sicker and have to go back!

I worked on those videos yesterday, and last night just made a serger quilt from start to finish (well, the sewi g part, not the cutting part) to see how long it would take to make if I didn't start and stop, it took 59 minutes! And I even had a equipment malfunction, and needed to change a broken serger needle mid way through sewing the edges. Now, I know, it can be a 1 hour project. They are so easy and fun to make.

Going to Orlando Friday with my son's family for a 4 day whirlwind DisneyWorld experience. We went last summer as an entire family for 6 days, now I've seen it, and can take it again in small doses. 6 days was too much for this old lady! 3 days in the park ought to be just right!

Got to do laundry and pack! Everybody have a great day!

shermur
May 1st, 2013, 08:43 AM
Yay to May! Today is hubby's birthday (54) and acts older, ha ha! We're supposed to have comp softball tournament this weekend, but the weather forecast for this weekend....YIKES! IT's supposed to drop down in to the 30s tomorrow with 70% to 90% chances of rain, sleet and a possibility of snow mix? EEWWWWW....softball tourney is becoming a maybe this weekend? Maybe if it's cancelled, I'll get to spend time in my sewing room (so crossing my fingers)!!!!!!

Quiltlover
May 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Hi, Monique,

I've had the twitching over my eye also...not in a good while now. It is very annoying. The good thing is that it eventually goes away and is probably just from nerves or stress. Before too much longer you will notice one day that it has stopped completely...one of our little quirks. Brenda in Bama

aliaslaceygreen
May 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Good Morning! Good May! I remember as a child the Maypole dances...wonder if that kind of stuff even happens anymore?

Looks like a rainy start. Off to Quilt Guild in a few. Eleanor Burn's Sister Pat is doing her annual visit; always fun

Tomorrow is my last day off before vacation, and I have a LOT to do; starting with altering a dress for Arlie for a wedding she is in right after we get back from vacation. SHE doesn't want to wait to the bitter end of the deadline before dealing with this...WHERE did I go wrong?? LOL

Have a great day, everyone!!!

dwil23
May 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Good Morning all,

Monique, I'm sure you will do just fine! I know about those annoying twitches, and I do think they can be caused by stress. Just relax (I know, easy to say). Just hope everyone is awake at my Post Office as I am expecting my swap package today!

I've been up for a while. Went to take a look at the puppies, but trying to stay out so that Momma can relax. They all seem to be doing well, so far. DD set her alarm to get up several times during the night.

My one focus for today is to get my friend's quilt sandwiched and start the quilting. It is a JRR and I am just doing SITD because of the size - 64 x 64. I have been working on starching the backing - that's what I was doing when the contractions began yesterday. I REALLY want to start a new project, but am making myself finish up two more after this one before I do, (except for some COC blocks ). That's my problem. I love to plan, buy fabric, cut them out and start them. Then I get bored and want to start something else.

Looks like it will be a rainy day here - which is good, as long as it doesn't all come down at one time. That's when I will be wading through my bedroom and that can ruin your day. Cannot believe many of you are getting slammed with SNOW again! It's May 1st, for Pete's sake! Stay home and quilt if you can. Stay safe if you can't stay home.

Have a Blessed Day!

ilive2craft2
May 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Good Morning! Happy May Day! Does anyone do the May Day bouquets of flowers on the doorknobs anymore? As a kid, we had so much fun picking whatever flowers were available (mostly dandelions) and putting them in construction paper baskets. Hung them on a neighbor's doorknob, rang the bell or knocked and then ran away to hide and watch them get their May Day surprise. Such simple pleasures. I may do a grown up form of that today! Off to the store. :) Lisa

buckeyequilter
May 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/great-day/koolaid-cool-day.gif

Good morning......

Prayers continuing this morning for Blondie & Ruth and to everyone that wants or needs them.

I used to have a twitch in my eye sometimes and yes it was annoying. I haven't noticed it in years.

It's a beautiful day here...summer is just around the corner :) I will be taking a weeks vacation the first week of July and I hope to get some things done in my sewing room. Since DH went back to work I doubt that he'll be home during the day...sometimes it's nice to have some time to myself.

I picked up my new cutting table last night and will put it together this week-end. I'm working on a churn dash quilt for my sister and made another block last night....didn't even need to watch the video :) I'm making it with the Collections for a Cause - Warmth line and can't wait to put it all together, but I have several more blocks to make before that happens.

Well need to get busy here....have a wonderful day!

MayinJerset
May 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the first day of my month, May. I was hoping that April's showers would have brought me some lovely flowers in my garden but it's too early for them to bloom. Azaleas are just beginning to open up.

May is my legal name but I was really supposed to be named after my father's mother Nicolena who was called Mamie. Guess my parents changed their minds as it used to be mandotory that the first boy and girl in an Italian family were named after the father's parents, 2nd boy and girl after the mother's parents and any other children born after that they got to choose the names. I had only one girl cousin on my father's side, she was named after our grandmother and nicknamed Mamie but somewhere along the line she chose to be called Amy. Same 3 letters as my name so there might be some significance in that or just a coincindence.

Today DH and I will be preparing our family room for tomorrow's installation of a gas fireplace. Finally the plumber has time to do it as Hurricance Sandy repairs all over the area have kept him and other plumbers very busy these past months. Then our contractor will take over to repair the openings in the wall where the gas pipe was extended, he will also close in 2 windows and replace the other two with new ones. This room used to be a screen porch that we closed in about 35 years ago and it has been basically the same all these years.

Already have the new paint picked out, a medium grey which seems have taken over as the new basic wall color. Next on my list is some new furniture. Thinking of going with a leather couch and recliner as most of the stuff in the room is pretty old and worn out. Anyone have comments about leather furniture? Love the part of not having to worry about fabric coverings or slipcovers but would like some input from others who have leather stuff. We spend our spare time in this room reading and/or watching TV, also some napping, so the furniture needs to be comfortable.

Hope all is going well with Blondie and her Mom.

CrazyMtnLady
May 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Good Morning everyone. Looks like another beautiful day here in the Ozarks. But the cold front is on it's way with rain and possibly SNOW in the next day or two...COME ON ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!

Went out to give the horse and mule their hay yesterday and there was a SNAKE beside the hay tent that wouldn't move. I had to get a LONG stick and make it run. I HATE SNAKES! It was only a garter snake but I don't like any of them.. I called the DH and asked. "Can you come home and feed the horses...there is a snake by the hay tent?" He laughed and said..."No!" It gave me the chills. LOL.

I actually got all DH's stuff off the piano and sat and played it a bit yesterday. It is his ....catch all...which makes me mad. I have decided to keep the keys exposed so that when he comes home it can't lay is stuff there. :)

More cleaning today. Gonna work on the living room/sewing area today.

Have a wonderful day... Hugs and prayers to all.

shannonsaulter
May 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Good morning! Happy May day...this has been an exhausting week I am not a morning person so doing yearly training is just yucky...
At least its 4 days off starting Friday...
Hope everyone has a great day..

Sandy Navas
May 1st, 2013, 10:21 AM

My right top eyelid has been twitching for some time now. It is very annoying. It seems that stress, not enough sleep could be a factor. I am hoping that when I am done this assignment that the twitching will stop.

Well to all my friends, have an absolutely wonderful day.

Aw, Monique . . . we know you are just practicing 'winking' at all those good looking men who come in to personally collect their mail.

I know how annoying that eye twitch can be!!

WendyI
May 1st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Awwww Donna...garter snakes are wonderful creatures! If you have a garter snake you have NO mice and NO rats! They're your friend! I used to have a pet one as a child...they have a "third eye" that they use for protection...only time he put the eye away was when I held him. Really lovely creatures.

I'm killing time today until I leave at 11:20 to take my DH to his colonoscopy appointment. It's a GORGEOUS day here today and at last I am wearing capris, flip flops and a sleeveless blouse to work! LOL! Sounds horrid doesn't it!? But I'm determined to make Spring STAY!! We slept with our windows wide open last night...it was amazing! I LOVE fresh air! I have the spring cleaning bug so as soon as the Minecraft quilt is done that might be it for me for a while. SOOOOO much yard work to do!

Monique, hope the eye has stopped twitching! I googled it...it's usually from fatigue but can be stress...so calm down dolly!

GinnyKNC
May 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Good Morning. It's raining here today and I have an interview - go figure. I'm really getting nervous that I won't find another opportunity before the 8th when my contract is up. Scary
I went to a class last night and made some lace with my viking. It is really pretty. I have a really old drop leaf table that belonged to my great grandma and I want to make a lace doilie for the top of it. I can't wait to get to it )
Prayers and Blessings to all

nanaleslie
May 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Good Morning everyone! After a very long winter I think spring is finally here! May 1st so its about time. It is beautiful outside, warm and sunny. I'm working on Pheobes flower box quilt. Then I will be outside to enjoy this long awaited SUNSHINE!!!!!!!

Have a great day everyone! :icon_bigsmile:

Hulamoon
May 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Good morning! I think I will go to our local museum today to look at all the lei's because....

They have a contest every year and I haven't gone for awhile. Some of them look like jewelry!

Hope your twitch goes away! And hug's to Blondie and Ruth :)

lilmouse
May 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hello Everyone; I stayed up late (til 6:00a.m.) finishing a quilt for Steve's sister...and yes I bartered for it...(one months' rent for two quilts)...she needs it by Saturday and I started it a couple of weeks ago....when I started last night it was about half quilted.....finished the quilting, trimmed it, made the binding and sewed it on....everything went great until it was time to sew the binding down (machine as it is going to a small boy).....now I have done this allot lately with no problems until early this morning....everything that could go wrong did but I was stubborn and stayed at it until done....binding is sewn down with both a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch to help hide all the goofs...I have never had a straight grain binding as stretchy as this one was and I followed my favorite tutorial all the way down the line and it still looks ....hmmmm......ok! I am not happy with it but I am done! It just needs a wash and dry and I will give it to her for her grandson. I used Pirates' Treasure layer cake, cut it into charms and did a DP9 with it....and used artesian blue for the little squares and the borders and binding....I used the "map" fabric in neutrals for the second border...it is a striking quilt and I think the little guy will be happy with it...I sure hope so...now on to more quilting...I am doing a COC demonstration on Friday at my quilters group and need to get ready for it.....quilt is pin basted, just needs to be quilted! I managed to get 2 1/2 hours of sleep. Darn meds for allergies...I am hyped up today...but sure beats yesterday dragging all over the place...they really hit me hard!
Glad to hear that Blondie's Mom is doing better but it will take awhile for her to heal completely!
Keeping everyone in prayer; hope you have a wonderful and productive day......
Took Sassi to the park this morning...(didn't even know there was one a couple of blocks away) and she left signs for ever male dog in the neighborhood to sniff...she is in her first heat! And she is like a woman who is PMSing....so whiny and wants to be held all day long!
That is all of my news for today....sorry about the long post!
Prayers and hugs for all..................Susie aka Lilmouse

auntiemern
May 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Donna, completely understand you fear of snakes. DH takes care of them. He pics them up and takes them to the woods. We never kill snakes unless they are poisonous. Can't have that around here with the kids.
The twitching can be annoying. Gonna try to get something done today. DH is on a field trip with the oldest GD. She wanted her Pa to with her, and he rarely says no to anything for them. Right now just enjoying the quiet. Hugs and Blessings to all, Prayers for those in need.

sally
May 2nd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Monique...saw the weather. Wow warm there! We too are warming up. Bout time! I was off yesterday as my hubby dealing with ex employer issues so while he was being grilled by lawyers I used my stress to sew cushions for the back porch furniture, get the boat ready for fishing , did some painting, washed windows. I will be glad when his stuff is over and we can move on....