PDA

View Full Version : What a surprise!

Tanya D
April 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I chat with a bunch of moms on another forum. I "met" them when I was pregnant with Emma almost 14 years ago now.

I have had the opportunity to meet a few of them over the years, including one of them named Micheline. She lived in Ontario and I flew out there and met up with her and 2 other moms. One drove up from Ohio, the other was also in Ontario. We had a great girly weekend getting to know eachother in person.

Well, Micheline passed away in 2009 from H1N1. It was a great loss to our forum and things really changed there after that. I flew to Ontario for her funeral and met her family for the first time. It was heartwarming to hear the stories she had told of me over the years. We had a lot in common. I have kept in touch with her husband since then. We text eachother quite often and he keeps me updated on their 4 kids.

I still post on her FB page, letting her know I'm thinking of her and missing her. One of her friends (Dina) who she has known since they were 5 would often comment on my posts. Then one day she friend requested me. So thru FB, I have gotten to know Dina. We often share stories about Micheline and kind of support eachother in our grief.

Well, she saw my quilts on my FB page and asked me what kind of fabric I use to make them. I responded that I use cotton.

Yesterday I went to get the mail and there was a notice in my box saying I had a parcel at the post office to pick up. Off I went and the guy brought out this big box! I looked at the return address and it was Sarnia, ON. That is where Micheline lived but it wasn't her address. When I went to lift the box, I was shocked at the weight of it.

So I hurry home and rip open the box. It is FILLED with fabric!! Inside was a note from Dina. The note said that her mom was a seamstress and she had recently gone thru her stash and she thought since I made quilts, I could use this fabric. She also included a stained glass angel. She had made it herself. She made one for one of Micheline's daughters and thought I might like one too. The note ended with "I lost a very good friend here on earth but in you I have found a new one. Thanks for always being there for me."

I cried...at the note and the fact that she thought of me when going thru the fabric.

I have to say, some of it isn't my taste and is really dated. There are a few pieces that I might use...some gingham pieces and some solids but there is some that really isn't all that nice. The box must have weighed about 20 pounds!

Any thoughts on what I should make???

Grandma G
April 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Being a newbie I really don't know what to tell you about patterns but I wanted you to know how touched I was by the friendship you shared with Micheline and now, Dina. What a thoughtful gesture on her part. I know Micheline is looking down and smiling on both of you.

slg0522
April 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM
wonderful story.

ilive2craft2
April 30th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Oh Tanya, what a wonderful friendship. Isn't it amazing how our lives are connected to others? You never know how the connections you make are going to impact your life later on. Enjoy creating with the fabric.

If some of it is not to your taste, maybe you could do COC circles or donate the fabric for COC? They are usually done scrappy and would be another way to "pay it forward". There is a new branch of the COC in Canada. Still goes through the group started by Blondie. I am assuming they are flowery, etc so may not be a good fit for the PICU group hosted by Marilyn. Or there may be other charity groups on here that I have missed. Lisa

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 09:52 PM
What a nice story :)

bubba
May 1st, 2013, 12:58 AM
Any thoughts on what I should make???

I would make your new friend a quilt!!

Granny Judy
May 1st, 2013, 01:20 AM
I agree with Bubba, first make a quilt for your friend who sent the fabric... then the COC people in Canada could use some of it.. Just pm Blondie when she gets back on line from caring for her mother who was/is in the hospital with pneumonia following surgery.

I've cut up some "ugly" fabric and used it in a few quilts for donating to PICU group.. it makes some great borders for the panel quilts for the kiddos!!

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 02:25 AM
That was my daughter's suggestion too...make her a quilt!

I went thru it all and made a "like" pile and a "dislike" pile. Some of it I had to throw away as it was faded in some spots and it smelled like it had been stored for some time.

SallyO'Sews
May 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Note to self: stop reading beautiful stories at work - I cry way too easily!! Thanks for sharing this, Tanya; what a thoughtful gesture from your new friend. Why not make a couple of mug rugs and send them to Dina, along with matching mugs and some fancy tea, coffee, or cocoa? You can always donate the fabric you can't use to the local thrift shop.

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
That's a great idea Sally...the mug rugs.

And I do believe it's Kim heading up the COC in Canada and she lives just up the street from me so perhaps before I do anything with the fabric I'll pop over there and see if she can use any of it.