PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Fabric.com

Tanya D
April 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
After deciding on a price for my rag quilts I placed a big order with Fabric.com for some cute flannel prints.

I order a yard of 17 different fabrics. A couple of days later I got an email from them saying that 2 of the fabrics were out of stock. They asked if I would like the order as is or if I wanted to cancel the order. So I went back to their site, found 2 more fabrics and replied to their email asking to add the two yards. They wrote back saying they couldn't do that. I could take the order as is or cancel it. Okay...I'll take the order as is but asked why they couldn't add to it. They never replied.

So a week goes by and I haven't received any information about shipping or anything so I go to their site, check my account and it says "order pending". So I called them and spoke to a nice lady in their customer service department. She said she didn't know why the order hadn't shipped, perhaps there was a miscommunication between their order resolution department (the department that was emailing me) and their shipping department. She assured me she would have the order shipped first thing this morning.

This morning I get another email from the order resolution department saying there is yet another fabric that is out of stock and asking me if I wanted the order as is or to cancel it.

Well I just cancelled it. What a rigamarole! I ordered just a yard of each fabric.

I got a flyer from my local fabric store showing that their flannel is on sale for $4.50/m The flannel at Fabric.com was $5.08/yard so I get 3" more for cheaper AND I don't have to pay shipping or duty.

I don't think I will try Fabric.com again in the future.

laf512
April 30th, 2013, 05:07 PM
That is a bummer! Sorry you had a bad experience. I have only placed one order with fabric.com. Luckily, I didn't have any issues.

Momofmonsters5
April 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Sorry you had such an experience. Substitutions aren't always an option when the company is large since there's so many hands. I've only had a good experiences with them, how great you found a local deal on flannel celebrate by buying yourself something!!!

Bubby
April 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Tanya..lately I have been receiving very slow service from Fabrics.com. I've not had the problems you experienced but I'm thinking twice about doing anymore business with them. I'm so glad you found a better deal without having to pay shipping and duty.

K. McEuen
April 30th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I just got an order from them a few days ago that got to me quicker than a MSQC order placed the same day. On a past prder I got an email telling me one of the fabrics I wanted was out, did I want to order without, cancel or replace with something else. I looked and looked and the only fabric I decided I wanted was a little bit more expensive. I did the math and told them if they sent me 7/8 of a yard it would work out to about the same cost. They sent me a yard. That has been a couple years ago, maybe they have someone else working in that department now.

Glad your local shop is having a sale. It sounds like it all worked out for the best, but I'm sure it's frustrating.

Cat n bull
April 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I got that out of stock email too. It irritates me when something is listed as in stock then you get that message!
I used to order a lot from them, but I don't much anymore. I do find they got much slower than they used to.

AND they don't send funny happy messages like M* does when you order from them! I mean, how can I order form a store that isn't going to farewell my stuff with a party that includes speeches and a cake, and then send it in a horse drawn carriage in it's own parade while singing to it???

Tanya D
April 30th, 2013, 06:23 PM
LOL Cathryn...as Sue would say SHUT UP! Your mail is delivered in a horse drawn carriage??? LOL

I wanted so tell Fabric.com that if they had filled my order the day I ordered it, the stuff I ordered would likely have been in stock! But I was polite, I just told them to cancel my order, in bold letters and capitals...no exclamation marks :D

mommadeb
April 30th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Was it Fabric.com that just sent out notices about a hacker getting into their customers accounts back in October or so? I have not ordered from them again. Never even used the "apology" discount.

K. McEuen
April 30th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Was it Fabric.com that just sent out notices about a hacker getting into their customers accounts back in October or so? I have not ordered from them again. Never even used the "apology" discount.

That was FabricDepot.com and I didn't use mine either.

Sharyn J
April 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry you had problems with Fabric.com I've ordered from them many times and never had a problem. Usually, if I see that they only have a couple yards in stock, I will look for something else. Their fabric is very nice and I get my orders within a couple days. Of course, I order as much as I can from MSQ. Their quality and service is super!

shannonsaulter
April 30th, 2013, 11:52 PM
It was meant to be someone was looking to save you money..

WendyI
May 1st, 2013, 12:31 AM
I would NEVER order from a company that offered this lack of service. I'm on a mission in my life to get good service for the money I pay. I'm sick to the teeth of spending good money and being treated like I should be honoured for the opportunity to give someone else my hard earned money instead of them being honoured to receive my business. Even if I COULD order from them up here in Canada, this story has def. turned me off.

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 02:29 AM
Emma and I went shopping at Fabricland tonight. We found lots of pink flannel...they have oodles of it but geez, not much to pick from in blue. I got one blue fabric, a striped one and 7 pink fabrics.

Back to searching as we went to 2 stores with out any luck.

Marebear
May 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'm so sorry you had that experience from them.
I have ordered from Fabric.com many times and have not had any super bad issues with them. They did move about a year ago and had some snafus then, but I order every few months and get my fabric usually withing a week. No place is perfect, but I have had good service there too. I have had times where a fabric has been out of stock, but they haven't been very hard to deal with.

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
I may have to give them another chance since I couldn't find any blue flannel that I liked at my local store.

I will make sure I only pick fabrics that have lots in stock and hopefully there won't be any trouble. They really do have a great selection so I was really disappointed it was such a rigamarole to order from them.

K. McEuen
May 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
You might try www.thousandsofbolts.com as well. They seem to have a decent selection of fabric, mostly from last years lines, but at a good price. I'm not sure about them shipping to Canada though.

blue flannels http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm?wheretext=&category_id=2&fuseaction=category.display&xpattern=&catfiltersubmitted=1&sort=colorH&displaycount=36&mfg_account_id=&themecat_id=&fab_type_id=Flannel&search_string=

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks so much Karen. I clicked on your link and picked out 9 fabrics.

It totalled $42.59

Then I filled out the shipping info and recalculated. Shipping was $43.90!

Dammit...why does it cost so much to ship to Canada at some places. Now I'm sad :( They were really cute fabrics.

K. McEuen
May 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM
That is crazy. I understand it being more to ship to Canada, but not that much more. And then you have duty on top of that. I wonder what it would cost for an individual to ship that fabric to you, if they label it as a gift, there isn't any duty. Ruby needs to chime in, she seems to have a good handle on international shipping.

yeeehawterri
May 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
I've ordered quite a bit from fabric.com and haven't ever had a problem. I think this is just one of those situations where it went from bad to awful. But I think if the same situation happened to me, I'd feel the same way. Very frustrating and leaves a very lasting negative impression. An apology from them would go a long way, why don't companies acknowledge a mistake and just apologize?

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM
Well, I just tried fabric.com again. Keep your fingers crossed this order goes thru smoothly. I made sure the fabrics I picked had lots in stock.

yeeehawterri
May 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Fingers x'd!

Kaytessa
May 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfhelp/Index.cfm?type=ct&CSCatID=81&CSItemID=203&intmedid=SatisfactionLandingPg--CanadaShipping

I don't know if this helps, but I have ordered from Connecting Threads and am very happy with them.

mommadeb
May 1st, 2013, 09:46 PM
I agree with you completely.

Sew Perfect
May 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM
You would think if the fabric was not available, the site would say so when you clicked on it. That's too bad.

pewa88
May 2nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
One issue that I have had with Fabric.com is that they do not cut the fabric square. When I square my fabric by tearing before cutting I have been ending up with less than I ordered. This has happened several times and I have complained about it. They once issued me a $5 coupon but it continues to be a problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Just might not be ordering from them again :(

KatiesQuiltingCorner
May 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
I've heard several people getting their orders lost or cancelled for weird reasons from them. I stopped ordering from them completely last year when it took them 3 months to send a friend her order after I recommended them to her. I felt so terrible! They also raised their prices on lots of stuff to cover their "Free shipping".

WendyI
May 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM
That is crazy. I understand it being more to ship to Canada, but not that much more. And then you have duty on top of that. I wonder what it would cost for an individual to ship that fabric to you, if they label it as a gift, there isn't any duty. Ruby needs to chime in, she seems to have a good handle on international shipping.

If a friend ships it to you, it is much, MUCH, cheaper. It's the tarifs (duty) in this country that we get hammered on...for EVERYTHING...not just fabric. We pay easily double what you all pay for goods and services in the U.S. Mind you we have fair healthcare so I guess that's why...but we also have politicians flying first class and buying $15 glasses of orange juice on the taxpayers dime. sigh.

Hope this next order works out for you Tanya!

Tanya D
May 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
It's been shipped and is in Calgary...says it's still in the clearing process.

And I didn't get any emails this time so it appears I'm getting everything that I ordered. Yay!

Monique
May 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Sorry it did not work out.

ConnieNana
May 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
I love such happiness in sending my orders. Really makes me feel special.