PDA

View Full Version : How do catch a toad

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I swear I'm being serious. A toad came up the stairs. I walked by him but the screen door was open and he got spooked and ran into the house (our screened in porch). I closed the kitchen door and sliding door so he won't come into the main part of the house. I seem to be having animal problems lately. lol When I was in calif doing my aunts house a raccoon came in the house. That was real fun. lol

So how do I catch this little guy?

Karena1984
April 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I had one hop in my kitchen. I swept him out with the broom!

shannonsaulter
April 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Pick him up, and open the door..is these a lot of stuff on your porch?

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I had one hop in my kitchen. I swept him out with the broom!

I wish I would of thought about that before I walked by him! The laundry room is off to the side, so he could be hiding behind the washer and dryer forever. Dang! I always find them in containers of water outside. Sometimes when my plants get real dry I will set them in a plastic storage box and they get watered from under, A toad usually jumps in there. Maybe I might try that.

This must be fascinating to read. lol

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Pick him up, and open the door..is these a lot of stuff on your porch?

There is, because with my daughter moving out, a lot of her stuff is out there. I don't want the cat's to find him because I heard they can be toxic. They never chase them outside though.

I never had a toad come up the stairs before. Chickens yes but never toads. lol

WendyI
April 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
LOL! Just pick him up. He's not going to hurt you...poor thing is probably freaked right out. If you want to lure him, you'll have to get a jar of crickets with holes in the lid so he can hear them. ...then wait. He'll come out at night looking for food for sure...maybe leave the porch door propped open so he can get out? Although more may come in! LOL! If you have a lot of stuff he's probably hiding...you either move it or wait. Good luck!

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah I got him! He went into the laundry room and I tried the broom trick. But he hopped between the dryer and wall. I got a stick, pulled him out and picked him up. Outside he went.

It's 4am I need to go back to bed. lol

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
lol Wendy how do you catch a cricket.

rebeccas-sewing
April 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Yuck! I don't think I would have the courage to pick up a toad. Maybe with gloves. Glad you solved the problem.

dwil23
April 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Glad you got him out . Certain toads can very VERY toxic to dogs and cats, though not all. We have had a real problem here with Bufo or Cane toads that are a non native species. They can kill a large dog in seconds. Our neighbor's lab got ahold of one and, even though it survived, it was one sick doggie. It only survived because they were aware of the problem and took the right steps immediately.

buckeyequilter
April 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM
We have to watch our dogs too...anything outside that hops, jumps, moves....they think it's theirs.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I can pick them up easily, but they usually pee on you when you do! Just hold them out to the side when you grab them. It least they aren't as fast as frogs, they don't jump as far in one leap.

EnumclawGramma
April 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Had a frog in my kitchen one night. We had lots of company and they were in and out and the little guy seized the opportunity. In he came. DH had to sweep him out, I don't enjoy them! I also had a snake slither into my kitchen one day when my back door was open. FREAKED out about that for sure!! I like nature to stay outside thankyouverymuch!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Had a frog in my kitchen one night. We had lots of company and they were in and out and the little guy seized the opportunity. In he came. DH had to sweep him out, I don't enjoy them! I also had a snake slither into my kitchen one day when my back door was open. FREAKED out about that for sure!! I like nature to stay outside thankyouverymuch!
We had a snake come into our lower level and he made his way to the bathtub! I saw it when I went to the bathroom in the morning! It was a copperhead. It was a challenge to dispatch him to snake heaven ( is there such a place?) without taking out the fiberglass bathtub! But before I was Jean JellyRoll Queen, I was "Snake Charmer" , so I got rid of him using a 2 x 4 and a gallon plastic pretzel jar. Guess where DH was? Nowhere to be seen!

Karena1984
April 30th, 2013, 12:47 PM

I would seriously die if a snake came in my house! There was a baby rattle snake by the hot tub last summer and that was bad enough!!! I think I need more cats now! Lol I have two outdoor cats who catch all snakes and mice for me. Sadly they like to show me! Guess a dead snake is better than a live one!

Karena1984
April 30th, 2013, 12:48 PM
We had a snake come into our lower level and he made his way to the bathtub! I saw it when I went to the bathroom in the morning! It was a copperhead. It was a challenge to dispatch him to snake heaven ( is there such a place?) without taking out the fiberglass bathtub! But before I was Jean JellyRoll Queen, I was "Snake Charmer" , so I got rid of him using a 2 x 4 and a gallon plastic pretzel jar. Guess where DH was? Nowhere to be seen!

Ok now I'm really getting more cats! Even the thought of them give me chills!!!

Tanya D
April 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Toads, snakes...in the house? Ick...I wouldn't fare so well with those I'm afraid.

Suddenly mosquitos don't seem so bad :D

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 01:30 PM
We don't have snakes in Hawaii. They won't let ferrets come in either I think because they brought in mongoose a long time ago they over populated. Here is a little history of mongoose in Hawaii. I think it's interesting.

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Animals.mongoose

bubba
April 30th, 2013, 02:02 PM
If I had a snake come into the house, I would leave, never come back and burn down the house!!!!! It was bad enough when I saw one out of the corner of my eye in the bathroom while we were up at our lake place.....as I was sitting down to go....boy did I go!! Running down the road screaming for my grandboy!

A couple summers ago, our wiener dog brought a live possum into the house and into his kennel. Thankfully we were in Hawaii at the time and the house/dog sitters got to deal with it!

WendyI
April 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM
We don't have snakes in Hawaii. They won't let ferrets come in either I think because they brought in mongoose a long time ago they over populated. Here is a little history of mongoose in Hawaii. I think it's interesting.

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Animals.mongoose

I'm really enjoying this page Lorie! Thank you!

GinnyKNC
April 30th, 2013, 02:20 PM
We have copperheads but if one came in the house I would be out of the house immediately! Jean you go girl. I lost an entire rose garden due to a copperhead nest. I was turning the soil and found the nest. They all came up and I didn't go near that garden for years!
Funny story on toads - When we moved to Wichita back in '95 we were out to dinner and came home. The windows in the car were down. My DH and I just looked at each other and all we could hear was a child screaming. We looked at our boys and they both said 'do you hear that?'. So we drove around the neighborhood looking for were this child was. All I could think was I sure hope my DH and I could keep calm once we find the house, but that was surely going to be tough. Never did find the house and I was up most of the night listening to this. The next day we were telling the neighbors. They busted out laughing at us and we just couldn't understand what the heck was so funny. They told us it was the toads! The toads - OMG. We sure felt dumb at that point.

bubba
April 30th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Funny story on toads - When we moved to Wichita back in '95 we were out to dinner and came home. The windows in the car were down. My DH and I just looked at each other and all we could hear was a child screaming. We looked at our boys and they both said 'do you hear that?'. So we drove around the neighborhood looking for were this child was. All I could think was I sure hope my DH and I could keep calm once we find the house, but that was surely going to be tough. Never did find the house and I was up most of the night listening to this. The next day we were telling the neighbors. They busted out laughing at us and we just couldn't understand what the heck was so funny. They told us it was the toads! The toads - OMG. We sure felt dumb at that point. They do make a lot of racket!!! We have frogs up at the lake and at night they really get going. Then all of a sudden they all go quiet. After a few minutes of peacefulness, they all start up again....makes you wonder.

SandyWhite
April 30th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Glad you took care of your toad. What fun that must have been. A mouse got loose in my car once. Now that was really fun.

Musical_Starling
April 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I'm so glad I live on an island... lol We have frogs, but I haven't seen one in YEARS. But no snakes, or mongooses (mongeese?) or raccoons, but we do have a couple that have found their way to Bull Arm and they're catching them and euthanizing them immediately. Everyone is upset because these raccoons are being killed, but this is an island, and they are not a native species. We let the moose stay on the island and repopulate and we're STILL trying to clean that mess up! We have a moose hunt every year to try and cull the d*mn things! The only thing that saves us from the moose is that they make one tasty burger :icon_giggle:

Glad you got your toad Lorie. Next time call CJ, she loves toads! lol

Hulamoon
April 30th, 2013, 11:28 PM
How big is your island? I stopped eating meat so moose burger doesn't sound too good. lol I love raccoons. When I was in calif I fed them all the time. There was a family of eight little babies coming down the hill side all the time. I probably have a hundred pictures of them and skunks. lol A coyote came in the yard once and they ran up the street sometimes. The house is close to a reserve. I sure hope the renters are taking care of my little house. I miss it.

Musical_Starling
May 1st, 2013, 12:17 AM
How big is your island? I stopped eating meat so moose burger doesn't sound too good. lol I love raccoons. When I was in calif I fed them all the time. There was a family of eight little babies coming down the hill side all the time. I probably have a hundred pictures of them and skunks. lol A coyote came in the yard once and they ran up the street sometimes. The house is close to a reserve. I sure hope the renters are taking care of my little house. I miss it.

It's a fair size I suppose. It's about 100,000 sq km, not sure what that is in miles. Not big enough to be put on those drawings of earth that you see behind someone on a news cast, but you can definitely see it on a normal map lol I'd say bigger than Ireland, but not as big as Great Britain. We don't have skunks either, but we do have coyotes. Another "immigrant" that has taken over our ecosystem. Your house in California sounds like a real zoo, almost as much as your Hawaii home! lol

Hulamoon
May 1st, 2013, 03:12 AM
It's a fair size I suppose. It's about 100,000 sq km, not sure what that is in miles. Not big enough to be put on those drawings of earth that you see behind someone on a news cast, but you can definitely see it on a normal map lol I'd say bigger than Ireland, but not as big as Great Britain. We don't have skunks either, but we do have coyotes. Another "immigrant" that has taken over our ecosystem. Your house in California sounds like a real zoo, almost as much as your Hawaii home! lol

We should do an island vacation swap. You have to take care of the cat's though. lol

Tanya D
May 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
I've never been to Newfoundland but will make it out that way one day I hope!

We were in PEI a few years ago and it was the first time I saw a raccoon in the wild. I don't imagine their are native to PEI any more than they are to NFLD.

We had just come back to our trailer and there were 3 young girls screaming in their tent across the road. They were out by the fire and had left all their food out on the picnic table. Well the raccoon ran right by them, straight to the food. They took off screaming into their tent. Steve went over there with a stick and shooed the little bugger away...but not before I got the kids roused and let them see him from a distance. They are really cute but very much a nuisance.

We had a porcupine walking down the sidewalk a couple of years ago. And a skunk. We live in a city of 45,000 people...they must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

shorte85
May 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM
Ha ha ha ha!! If only I had read this sooner. LOL That's funny he got in.. He wouldn't have hurt you, and he was probably more scared of you than you of him. HA HA!!

In case this ever happens to you again (ha ha ha) you'll want to take a couple of shallow dishes and fill them up with some water... That way it will attract him to it, and then if you absolutely can't find him put in a couple of crickets (I know you probably don't want too) ha... Then find him, put him outside in a shaded area and not directly in the sun because they can die that way.

Glad you were able to find him though!! :) Frogs and toads are all awesome! :) They're great for the nature, they eat mosquito's and bugs!!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM
We were in Florida last summer and heard a dog barking, like a little yappy dog. We looked outside and it was a frog barking! No dog anywhere! They are so awesome!

Sandy Navas
May 1st, 2013, 08:33 PM
I don't know how to catch crickets but I do know how to catch a polar bear!!

Don't believe me? Just ask.

Hulamoon
May 2nd, 2013, 12:01 AM
I don't know how to catch crickets but I do know how to catch a polar bear!!

Don't believe me? Just ask.

Your going to make us ask? That's no fun. Do tell how you catch a polar bear and what do you do with him after miss Sandy?

auntiemern
May 2nd, 2013, 12:51 AM
The other day when I had the kids at the house, my youngest GD (6) came in to show me the frog she caught. It promptly jumped out of her hands and right on the quilt I was working on. I screamed, Hubby and grands all were rolling laughing at me. She re caught it, and Granny told her in no uncertain terms, she was not allowed to bring critters from outside inside. I am one of those that does not like anything that creeps, crawls, slithers, jumps or flies. At least not within touching distance. I will admire them all from far, far away.