PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Drive by Hi's

Blondie
February 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
and bye's. Gotta dash off to work - see ya later this evening.

Have a fantastic day! Enjoy every second of it. Just remember, you could be me; shampooing hair and standing behind a chair all day, wishing I hadn't made the fuzzy navel last night because it was so late and now I still feel fuzzy. TGIS for me.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd245/tessla05/Hi-Bye.jpg

Patrice
February 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
have a great day at work Blondie. I will be going to my granddaughters 2nd birthday today. I made her a bag from Jenny's directions last night. I think Im going to have to make myself one too

NM Lady
February 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Good morning and have a good day at work.

Bag.....which Jenny tuturial????

Its warming up in New Mexico....Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone stay warm and have a great day!

quiltingtrish
February 5th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Good morning everyone! Need to get off this computer and get dressed so I can quilt!
A yucky day outside today - ice and snow coming. The local weatherman said we are to get a "big one" on Thursday, so I guess I'll stay tuned. Won't be too bad if it's BIG enough, it could turn in to a 4 day weekend.

Working on my snowman flannel quilt if I can get it layered. If it doesn't fit on the table and have to wait to take it to church to layer it, I will just pull out another UFO. Sure have plenty of those.

So, did I mention they wouldn't let Odie go to medical at Ft. Sill cause his luggage is lost? He supposedly packed his C Bags with his uniform (s) for carry on and now they are lost? Anyways, since he doesn't have a uniform to wear, they wouldn't let him go. In the meantime he said he is coughing so bad that his whole body hurts. I was at the local flower/food shop to pick up some soup and got a text from him that said "Just wanted to say I Love You, Mom". He melts my heart.

Oh yes, what bag tutorial? Will have to check that out. Guess I'll go look at the project tuts. Maybe it's in that area.

Hugs,

Lola2Ace
February 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Good morning all!
Trish and NMlady, the bag tutorial is one of the Sympoz tutorials and it's great! Jenny makes it look so easy. I have been wanting to make one, just waiting on the budget to order the fabric I want to make it from! I need a new bag for my hexagons!
I am off work this weekend. I just finished removing all of the basting pins from the girly quilt and getting ready to trim off the batting and square it up, then I will get the binding attached. I am so excited to be finishing this up. Then I have to make the decision what to start next?? I am thinking it will be a day of having Jenny's tutorials running to help me make the decision. Housework and laundry to do too, which is thinking time. HA!
Lola

Lola2Ace
February 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I forgot to tell you all my 'life changing' news! I got a new job!! I am so excited, it's much closer to home, day shift--the BEST part by far. So, I have 2 weeks at the old job, then on to the new.
It's going to be an adjustment for all of us, I've been on 2nd shift for over 10 years now. Supper at home with the family is just going to be awesome, and I know the crockpot is going to get used alot!
I just decided what quilt to do next, I just have to get the courage to open my 1st jellyroll. Why is it so hard to do that? They just look so perfect all rolled up, but I know it will be even more great sewn into a quilt!
Sorry for taking up so much space, just wanted to share good news!
Lola

Patrice
February 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I got the bag directions from the table blog

debinmalaga
February 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Lola, congratulations on switching to day shift! That is indeed life changing!

craftyladysam
February 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Morning all! Trish, hope Odie feels better soon! That cough sounds bad but all coughs do, right?
All of you with snow keep warm and drink plenty of liquids. (No not liquor!) LOL
We just have a cold rain here no sun in sight. Well hope to finish my fans today or tomorrow. See ya later sweet tatars! Sam

SuzyQue
February 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Less sun, but then less glare on the snow piles. Cold. More snow in forecast! Lovely! But.....on a happier note, off to get new feet for the quilting and sewing machines and run some errands. As soon as the paint is thoroughly dry on the shelf and boxes are stored away........on to the quilting of sheets to practice! SuzyQue

patticakes
February 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Howdy gals!
Cold (7 degrees) but sunny here today. I have been trying on some summer stuff to pack and it seems as if the winter weather has added a little fluff to my bottom! Darn, but even if I don't eat til we leave on Monday (and with all the supersnacks for the superbowl, I doubt that will happen!) I don't think I can make much of a difference so I wll just pack the looser items and have fun! I did get a couple cute summer tops at Macy's off the very, very marked down rack. Today I am cleaning then off to the store to get some new earbuds for the Ipod and new underpanties for the bigger bottom!

Blondie - I have not had a Fuzzy Navel in years! Wil have to add that to the list for a summer drink on the patio this summer! Hope your day wasn't too long and you can relax when you get home. Loved your story of meeting your Mom's surgeon, hey just cuz you are on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu right??

Patrice -Happy Birthday to your DGD! 2 years old is such a cute age. I will have to check out this bag.

MN - Glad it is warming up in your area! I bet everything just shuts down when it freezes there!

Trish - Poor Odie! Hope he gets some relief soon! I just feel so helpless when I can't fix some part of my kid's lives, so I can imagine your worry and dispair. Hope you can ease your mind alittle with your UFOs!

Lola - Congrats on your new job. Seems like that will be a real adjustment but a good one! I know what you mean about the jelly rolls, I never want to open them either!

Sam - How many more blocks do you have to do? Mine are done, just been too busy to get them to the PO. Probably not until after I get back from vaca will they get mailed.

Well, I have GOT to get my work done this morning and won't if I don't get off here!
Take care all!

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Good morning, quilting forum friends. Thanks for all the updates on everyone's happenings for the day. To each of you - just know I'm thinking of you and sending best wishes.

Hectic here this morning. Al got a call last night that his mother (who has been in the hospital this past week) is being sent back to the nursing home and she is refusing food and fluid intake. She has a living will - so no feeding tubes. She has accepted oxygen, but isn't talking and barely responding. Al is finishing up his packing right now and leaves in about half an hour for the airport. It is going to be a very tragic time - whether she passes before he gets there or not. The hardest thing so far has been keeping up-to-date with his 89 year old aunt in NYC and contacting his only sister who lives in Israel. That, probably was the most difficult thing I've ever witnessed him doing - total of five brothers and then this little sister who was my DHs pride and joy when they were growing up. He's probably closer to her than any of the brothers.

On a lighter note, I've been selecting patterns for quilts that I will be making for the DGDs this year - I've mentioned Zoe's will be a Dot to Dot using ginghams in different colors and sizes. Rita (3) will get one that is probably going to be what I think is called "The Way Home". I am starting with the youngest going upwards. I've been puzzling about Emily's (6) and last night I got a lightbulb hit! She is absolutely bonkers over penguins. So I've come up with a design to quilt a huge penguin and i am so excited about it that I'd love to start it first. I got on e-bay and was able to snag two yards of strip print with penguins which will be used for the binding and I have a request in to a supplier for enough penguin print for the backing. It will be SO cute. Can hardly wait.

See that Al has loaded the car and since I'm driving him to the airport I'd best get off.

Everyone, stay warm and snug, enjoy your weekend (and if you have to work, enjoy what time you get off). Dear Odie - GET WELL!! Sending virtual chicken noodle soup to warm you.

Lola2Ace
February 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Sandy, your family is in my thoughts and prayers. We went through a similar thing with my Grandma a few years ago, it's never easy. Your penguin quilt sounds adorable, and don't you love those lightbulb moments!?
I am just checking in, actually I'm procrastinating. The girly quilt is squared,binding strips are joined and pressed, I have watched the binding tool tutorial and it's ready to stitch on, just working up some courage to get it going. I even balanced the checkbook and paid bills for heaven's sake! LOL I sure hope I'm not the only one that needs to boost herself up for binding??
:icon_wave: Hello anybody else with this issue? LOL I will do it, I will do it........
Lola

toggpine
February 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Patti: I got some new ear buds for myself at Christmas. I wasn't too sure about them at first, but when I put them in they are great! I the brand is called EarCandy. They came in a bunch of different colors, but the feature I liked best was the interchangeable rubber ear cushions to fit in your ear. The are not hard with just a bit of foam around them. They are all soft and conform to your ear canal. They have to be some of the most comfortable ear buds I have ever worn. I bought them on sale, but I think they are normally about $10. Have fun on your trip!

I got up this morning and after chores I started pulling up scotch broom. Our place was covered in it when we moved in. I am allergic to it when it blooms. If the goats eat enough of it, it causes toxic build up in their livers and we had a bunch of late term abortions that year too. We have managed to keep it under control by pulling it up. With the animals we don't really want to put down herbicides, and not much will touch this stuff other than Agent Orange anyway. So we pull it. We try to wait for a day that isn't too rainy, but has been preceded by some good rains, as it makes the roots easier to pull. I got started innocently enough. It was just a small patch near the trailer that I was tired of whacking into when I walked by to check the fence. Then I just kept going along the fence line. I finally had to stop when my hands were numb. I made it all the way up the fence line, out behind the lavender patch and down along the mailbox and the drainage ditch. I have another afternoon of pulling to keep caught up, but since it feels like I rubbed off most of my finger tips, I think I'll put that off until another day!

I have picked out the designs and the fabrics for the two swap blocks. I have the first one nearly all cut out. Once I get those two things done I'll be able to get back to some of my own projects.

Blondie: I don't know anything about peach schnapps. My first schnapps encounter was with the rootbeer variety on our ladies weekend. We found that a little goes a very long way! I do believe that if you tried to drink it straight, it would taste a lot like a can of root beer mixed with a gallon of gas. Ugh! In small doses, mixed with vanilla ice cream, it is quite tasty! A fuzzy navel sounds like something to try, but only if you don't have anywhere to be the next day!

My step-son came out of his room this morning to tell me he has 13 loads of laundry to do. 13!!! WE had some words about that.

I'm just gonna go back to sewing. I wish my sewing room had a door. Hmmm. I may need to find out more about that Fuzzy Navel....

You all take care!
Cathy

sewmuchjan
February 5th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Now you Ladies are taking my lingo, let your favorite Bartender (me) help you out :icon_happy:
Ok a fuzzy navel
some of my customers like it blended
Here is they way I make them:

1 scoop of ice
1 1/4 shot of peach schnapps
1/4 shot of triple sec
about a 1/2 cup of o.j.
blend all together and pour into tall cold glasses and garnish with orange slices and enjoy! :icon_happy:

You can adjust the liquid to ice to get the right consistency I do it all by eye but I have been doing this for a lot of years. Also this is for 1 1/2 drinks so adjust booze to acommodate for mixing for more than 1 person. Like an afternoon tea?? :icon_happy:

Any more libations I can help you out with please don't hesitate to ask. :icon_happy:

I DO HAVE A GOOD ONE FOR ROOTBEER SCHNAPPS TOO. :D

Cheers
Jan G. :icon_wave:
Please don't drink and drive always have DD when you do!!!

Blondie
February 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
(((((Sandy)))))) so very sorry to hear of this latest development. Prayers for all involved and extra ones for your travelling mercies.

Cathy and Jansewmuch - I have never tried rootbeer schnapps. It had been YEARS since I had a fuzzy navel so when I went to the ABC store to get some vodka for my starch, I remembered Cathy's schnapps girly night and decided to get some of the peach. Jan, that is how I make mine but since I had cheap and I do mean cheap vodka, I used that. Perhaps that was why I was so fuzzy this morning. I am not a drinker but in college I worked weekend tending bar. I still remember how to mix some good drinks for others. Shock of my life seeing the prices of liquor and wine these days! Good golly Miss Molly, I couldn't afford to be a drinker!!

Also, Cathy, we have scotch broom here as well, wild in the fields and we dig it up to replant or sell. Smells like cat pee to me but it is a lovely specimen in bloom. If I ever get goats again, I will have to remember that about their liver. Scarey!

Lola! YAY!! for your new job and hours. Such an answer to prayer. My arms are locked with yours as we jump up and down! YAY!

It has been cold and rainy/dreary here for two days now. I am chilled to the bone. Going to go downstairs and sit in front of the woodstove to really heat up and then go to bed. The last few days have really wore me out. Good days at work for the $$ but it is already gone, hehe - fuel for vehicles and groceries. Plus a few coin put away for online ordering, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

janluna
February 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Jan, for the drink recipe. It will be good around the pool this summer.
Trish I hope Odie gets his uniform soon, so he can see the doctor. I can't believe they won't take care of him cause he doesn't have it. Why would they not let him. He's wearing dog tags isn't he. What are they thinking? We'll keep praying that his duffle shows up soon and hopefully he get medical treatment. Hugs, Jan L

debinmalaga
February 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Sandy, I'm thinking of you and your family right now.

Anyone heard from Magx lately? Hope her part of Australia wasn't affected.

Lola, the bigger the project, the more scairt I am of the binding :-). My Dresden plate hanging got my first ever continuous binding, and it actually came out well. My quilts, on the other hand... not so much and I dreaded starting them. My Bohemian Treasures sat, bindingless, for almost two weeks before I started it :-).

Having a terrible two days with my beastie, I'm hoping the Sew/Vac guy half an hour from here is open tomorrow. Mike is sweet, tinkered with it as much as he could (he's a semi-retired auto mechanic) and says he'll have me up and sewing one way or another asap. He's such a good guy, knows how traumatized I am with a three day weekend and my beastie out of commission. Guess I'll work on a hand quilting project and try not to mope :-).

My DD was home from college for a day and a half, not feeling well so I did all her laundry for her. Not 13 loads thank goodness, but enough.

Warmest wishes to all my quilting friends.

janluna
February 5th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Sandy please convey my prayers to Al for his Mom. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Jan L

Lola2Ace
February 5th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I got that binding sewn on! What a difference the binding tool makes. The last time I put a binding on it took me all day just to figure out how to join those 2 ends together and look good. With the tool I had it done in no time at all! That binding tool is worth it's weight in gold and more. I am watching Ace tomorrow, so I will work on the handsewing part when he naps.
I am just about to open my 1st ever jellyroll and start cutting a friendship braid quilt.
I haven't had a fuzzy navel in years. I made strawberry daquiri's (not from a mix) a few years ago and that's the last time I've had anything with alcohol. But, the fuzzy's and the rootbeer version sounds really good!
Thanks for the congrats on the new job. It is going to be such a difference for me in many many ways. My stress level will be greatly reduced. I just have to get through the next 2 weeks at the old job.
Lola

sewmuchjan
February 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM
To my quilting sisters that are in distress my prayers for everything to work out in His time.
I didn't mean to forget you all. I have been cleaning and doing laundry in between glancing at this site trying to do to much at one time. But still no excuse because I do care about you all.
Trish I remember when my son was in the Army and was stationed in Korea and this was many many moons ago. We didn't have any Internet just snail mail and the telephone. Gordon was the same age as your Odie and I know the Army (or any other branches) I was in the Army too (MP).
So my heart goes out to you and him.

Deb if I could send you one of my babies to get you by I would. But your beastie would be fixed by the time it got there and you would just have to send her (mine) back. Too much postage!!!

Sandy my heart goes out to you and yours at this time.

God Bless all of you and keep you;
Love
Jan G.

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Any more libations I can help you out with please don't hesitate to ask. :icon_happy:

Never, never, never use my recipe for pina coladas though . . .Was visiting my girlfriend for several days and she had to attend a 'village' meeting and left me in charge of getting dinner ready and drinks mixed. She left the mixer and 'booze' and I made a blender full . . . so I had a drink . . . and then another. It was only the next day, after I had passed out while everyone else was enjoying their meal, that I found out I was supposed to add a can of water to the frozen mix and booze. Anyway, by the time the hubbies returned from the golf course and Patti returned from her meeting, there were no more pina coladas available . . . not the best bartender.

But I'm a lot of fun at a party.

toggpine
February 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Sandy: When I pulled up the thingie to post I got side tracked and hadn't seen your comment before I got around to finishing and posting mine.
I am so sorry to hear that your MIL is not in good shape. At least your Al is going to be with her. It really does make a difference to everybody.
Lola: Congrats on your new day shift job! I worked the night shift for a few years and I know how hard it its to balance work and family that way. Thankfully, I wasn't married yet, but my mom needed me after having some serious back surgery.
Trish: More prayers for Odie and a "dope slap" for the folks that lost his luggage and the others that won't get him in to medical.
Blondie: Alcohol is frightfully expensive and I'm with you, I could not afford to be a lush! That being said, cheap alcohol is a very bad idea for drinking. Probably OK for cleaning the floor, or degreasing a car engine, but not so good for your internal workings. My guess is Jan G. would agree.
I bought one bottle of Rogue Spirits Dark Rum and have nursed that baby for over two years. I would still have some if I hadn't shared with some of my friends over Labor Day.(*Hint: Do not let your friends mix their own drinks with your alcohol, they tend to be a little more heavy handed. Or maybe its just my friends!) That bottle of rootbeer schnapps will probably last a few more years worth of Ladies Weekends! Well, unless I need some charcoal starter!
Deb: I hope your sewing machine just needs a simple fix! You could always pre-cut a bunch of stuff while waiting for it to come back. Then you could just hop on top of the projects when it comes home.

I got one of the swap blocks done before my sweet husband came wagging in some racks of baby back ribs he smoked today. Oh my. We do have some left to take with us tomorrow to the football game, but not for any other reason than my husband thought he might not be able to breathe if he ate another one! That smoker was the best gift I ever gave him. Of course anything that gets a man to cook is a good gift in my book!
I'm going to get that last block done so I can ship them on Monday. Then I'll open my Objects of Desire honey bun and do a test run on a pattern I have for a jelly roll. It looks really quick, but I'll see.
You all have a good night! Cathy

Sandy Navas
February 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Alcohol is frightfully expensive and I'm with you, I could not afford to be a lush! That being said, cheap alcohol is a very bad idea for drinking. Probably OK for cleaning the floor, or degreasing a car engine, but not so good for your internal workings. My guess is Jan G. would agree.
I bought one bottle of Rogue Spirits Dark Rum and have nursed that baby for over two years. I would still have some if I hadn't shared with some of my friends over Labor Day.(*Hint: Do not let your friends mix their own drinks with your alcohol, they tend to be a little more heavy handed. Or maybe its just my friends!) That bottle of rootbeer schnapps will probably last a few more years worth of Ladies Weekends! Well, unless I need some charcoal starter!

I just realized that my QF friends must think I 'm a lush . . . but I am HONESTLY NOT!!!! When I moved into this house the previous owners were leaving for another state and could not transport their liquor cabinet contents. I still have about a dozen near or full bottles that they left behind and that was almost 10 years ago. Do enjoy a glass of wine with a great meal now and then, and occasionally will put a splash of something in my morning coffee if it is warranted . . . but can take it or leave it . . . no liver fat, that's for certain.

toggpine
February 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I just realized that my QF friends must think I 'm a lush . . . but I am HONESTLY NOT!!!!

How funny Sandy! My sister and I were talking about that, not about you being a lush, but the impressions people get about our conversations.
I have absolutely no clue how to mix drinks unless there are instructions someplace on the label, since I am not much of a drinker. Wine is OK, but some of the reds give me a whopper of a headache, and I really don't like the flavor of beer. I am partial to the sweet/fruity drinks and those are the ones that have a ton of ingredients that I never have and the calories I don't need. So if I am indulging, I usually end up with a rum and soda pop. It depends on my mood and what is in the cupboard as to what I mix. If I want something sweet I choose cream soda, I have also used black cherry soda with pretty good success. I stick with the standard Coke if I'm just after something fizzy and relaxing.
I would guess that most quilters are going to opt for the fabric over the booze!