PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!!

Tanya D
April 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM
My son Eric and his school mates have done a Bike-A-Thon the last 3 years. They set up stationary bikes in the gym, they make teams and for 48 hours they pedal. They spend the night at the school, do several one hour shifts, sleep when they can and they go to class during the day but have permission to leave class to do their shifts.

They do this in order to raise money for the oncology department of the Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary, which is just south of the small city we live in.

They started this when one of their fellow classmates was diagnosed with cancer.

The first year they raised $51,000. The second year they were hoping to raise $60,000 but surpassed that and raised $87,000. This year their goal was to raise $100,000.

Well, I'm thrilled to report that they raised $132,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud of Eric...he's barely had any sleep in the last two days...I heard him come home at 4am yesterday and he left to go back at 8am. He came home after school for about an hour yesterday and then went back. I found him in his bed this morning but I have no idea when he came home. He left again before I went to work. He went to lacrosse practice during all of this too.

Now he's off to watch his girlfriend compete in a dance competition. I imagine he'll collapse into bed as soon as that is done and we won't see him til early afternoon tomorrow.

pcbatiks
April 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Wow Tanya.......they did a fantastic job with the fundraiser! I know you are proud of him. How many students participate?

K. McEuen
April 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM
They did a great job.

I remember the days of getting by with no problem on just a few hours of sleep. That doesn't happen anymore.

Roxanne
April 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
That is wonderful. Proud of you Eric!!

ilive2craft2
April 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Woohoo! That is fantastic! What a wonderful son you have raised. I sure can't go without sleep anymore - I become a zombie! :) Lisa

WendyI
April 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
That is amazing!! What a great kid!!

shannonsaulter
April 26th, 2013, 08:11 PM
That's awesome!!!! WTG!!!!

Sew Perfect
April 26th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Wow! That's so cool! Your son is an amazing guy!

Iris Girl
April 26th, 2013, 08:24 PM
great job !!!! you must be very proud

grammakim04
April 26th, 2013, 08:38 PM
That is awesome Tanya! You must be a proud momma :)

asta
April 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Wow, superb job. He certainly is a son to be proud of.

Cathy F
April 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I love to hear stories like this of our young people contributing their time and effort for such worthy causes. You must be very proud of him!

Evilynn
April 27th, 2013, 12:51 AM
You must be very proud and have every reason to be!

lilmouse
April 27th, 2013, 01:08 AM
That is just awesome! You have every right to be proud of him...and we are too!

Tanya D
April 27th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Our local phone company matched (almost) what they raised to make the total $238,000!!!! So amazing!

I believe there was around 700 students participating over the 2 days. There was also local personalities...radio deejays and even our mayor biked.

Local restaurants provided food and snacks. I think this year was more supported by the community than the two previous years.

Eric is exhausted. He's only had about 8 hours of sleep in 2 days. He had lots of stories to tell earlier tonight. He was trying to describe the smell in the gym. Lol. I can only imagine the stench of 700+ people in a school gym for 2 days...yuck!

auntiemern
April 27th, 2013, 01:32 AM
You must be very proud. That is quite an accomplishment. Give him a big high 5 from me.

rebeccas-sewing
April 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Congrats to Eric and his friends! He sounds like an awesome son! How's he doing today?

CrazyMtnLady
April 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
That is amazing.. those kids can be very proud of themselves as I know you are proud of them all.

New York Sue
April 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM
WOW! What an incredible fundraiser!
KUDOs to all involved!

MRoy
April 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
That's wonderful. Your son can be proud of what he helped accomplish...like you're proud of him.

Wwena
April 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM
That really gives me hope for humanity!! What a great thing to do, tell him we all said so!

Tanya D
April 28th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Congrats to Eric and his friends! He sounds like an awesome son! How's he doing today?

Rebecca, he slept for 12 hours and is doing great. Funny story, he just started dating this girl last week (his first girlfriend since grade 6) and she invited him to her dance competition. He went with her and her family in their vehicle after school yesterday. He hadn't slept yet and was dog tired. He falls asleep in a vehicle every time we go out so I was wondering how the drive was going to go. When he got home I asked him and he said that it was the hardest thing to do, stay awake! He kept forcing his eyes open and just kept looking at stuff out the window. Lol. I wonder what they would have thought of him had he passed out in the car! Lol

Hulamoon
April 28th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Very cool! In this age of bully stuff it's great to hear a good feel story. Any pictures he would feel comfortable sharing with us? I understand if not :)