PDA

View Full Version : feeling down.

WendyI
April 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I am feeling very tired of dealing with arthritis today. I'm 47 and need my left knee replaced and they won't do it. My knees hurt constantly. My shoulders hurt all the time now, my feet never, EVER stop hurting. I'm just so sick and tired of being uncomfortable every minute of every day, and some days I just can't deal.

So today is one of those days. I'm snapping at my family, I'm so tired and just feel like crying. They don't understand because they don't experience it. Liam is only 10 so of course is not capable and my DH has very little issues with pain. I've been dealing with his for a few years now and I'm just having a crappy day is all. I'm sure it will be better tomorrow. Not sure why I'm posting...just feeling blue I guess.

Sew Perfect
April 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Wendy, I know you are in pain and arthritis is so inhibiting. It's easy to get to feeling blue when you hurt and no one seems to understand. Here's a hug...

quiltingtrish
April 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Wendy, I am sorry you are having to deal with all that pain. Of course you are crabby and feeling down. I wish I could give you a HUG in person (a soft one of course so there isn't any more pain associated with that).

I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

HUGS,

bkthomas
April 25th, 2013, 09:32 PM
(((((((Wendy)))))))) Hope that helps - even a little....

ilive2craft2
April 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Wendi, I am so sorry that you are in pain - boy does it make for a sucky day. When it is constant, it really wears you out and can sure put you in a bad mood. I sure hope the docs can figure something out to take away the pain or at least make it bare-able.

One thing I have found that helps me is to put some happy music on that I like to sing along with - the louder the better. I feel silly and it helps to change my mood. I have to admit doing this almost every day coming home from work....lucky for everyone else that I have my windows up - according to my mom, I couldn't carry a tune if I had a bucket! But it makes me happy. Not sure what I will do with the warmer weather coming..... Hugs, Lisa

Slamelung
April 25th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I hope you start feeling better soon.

WendyI
April 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM
thanks so much for all the hugs...they do help a lot. I need to find a doctor but there are none here....my DH found one in Burlington which is an hour away...he commutes sort of past there so it's not too far out of his way. Anyway, found out they have evening hours and multiple docs to cover eachother if your main doc isn't there so I think that's where I will go. I need to get this figured out so I can enjoy my life!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest..I feel a lot better now. xoxoxo

Tanya D
April 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Wendy, I'm sorry you are feeling so blue. Chronic pain is debilitating and definitely sucks the happiness out of you. I have heard Aleve is good for arthritis although I'm sure you don't want to pop pills everyday.

I found this site, and I'm sure there are many more.

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/home-remedies/natural-home-remedies-arthritis

WVGranny
April 25th, 2013, 10:01 PM
My husband has RA and takes a chemo treatment once a year,and other meds daily and weekly , honestly I don't know how he continues some days , even though I don't walk in your shoes I know it is painful and I know correct treatments are important for pain control and joint function you are so young seek treatment as soon as you can

WendyI
April 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Wendy, I'm sorry you are feeling so blue. Chronic pain is debilitating and definitely sucks the happiness out of you. I have heard Aleve is good for arthritis although I'm sure you don't want to pop pills everyday.

I found this site, and I'm sure there are many more.

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/home-remedies/natural-home-remedies-arthritis

Thanks Tanya...you are so sweet to look that up for me. I've tried most of those things and most days, a 400 mg dose of advil works just fine for me. Today we had bad weather, sun, pouring rain and then brutal hail..everything was white again for a while...so I'm sure that's not helping things. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day...just some days I just get get worn out with trying to deal with it. I have a 15 minute walk to my desk from the parking lot and another on the return...I could probably get closer parking but I need that tiny bit of exercise...but I tell ya...on days like today I really, and truly despise it. I guess I should talk to a doc about getting better parking somehow...apparently it takes years to get a wheelchair sticker here. Not that I want to use it but sure would be nice on days like today.

WendyI
April 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM
My husband has RA and takes a chemo treatment once a year,and other meds daily and weekly , honestly I don't know how he continues some days , even though I don't walk in your shoes I know it is painful and I know correct treatments are important for pain control and joint function you are so young seek treatment as soon as you can

Chemo treatment?? I've never heard of that before. What is it supposed to do? I have been trying to get help but my last doc was a nightmare...I just fired him! Just learned that you can do that now in the province of Ontario. Only problem is, once he's gone there is no one to replace him! Ridiculous!

K. McEuen
April 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Tanya suggested the same thing I was going to say Aleve. It works wonders for me, where motrin doesn't do a thing. I had arthritis so bad in my elbows when I was 12 the doctor wanted to do surgery because they kept locking up. I said no. Didn't want to go through all that and be in a cast on both arms. The summer before I had to wear one for a broken arm when I fell off a horse that wasn't broke. He asked me what I did when they locked up. I showed him, he cringed, said if I could live with doing that he was fine with no surgery. I finally out grew the elbow issues, but I have knee and ankle problems as well. Some days it's barely noticeable, other days I feel like I am 90 and walking on 2 broken legs. One good thing about New Mexico is how dry it is, that is a lot better for my joints than anything.

WVGranny
April 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Depending on the arthritis for treatment , it keeps the joints from deteriorating RA comes from the immune system going haywire he has taken embrel shots which worked for several years then we moved to another shot which I can't remember it didn't work so they discontinued it . he also takes methotrexate 6 tablets once a week it has been going on for about 13 years now and he is 54 , they do a sed rate test and blood work to watch his med rates monthly. Rituxan is given in IV form in 2 doses yearly.

Monique
April 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Feel better soon Wendy!

sewtotallycrazy
April 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I am only 27 and have been having problems since i was in my teens, lovely genes lol. It'd gotten bad enough I was having a hard time trying to tend to me children, so I called my mom and told her what was going on. She told me what she's been taking, so I talked to my doc who said give it a try. It's just a supplement called MSM, it's made to help with the joints, and can be taken in conjunction with gluclosimien and conjointent with great success. I'd started the MSM taking two twice a day for the first week, it usually takes about a week for most people to start noticing any difference. I noticed a change after after day three. When I don't remember to take it, everything hurts. I know it might not help, but I get mine at WalMart and it's fairly cheap, so it might be worth a try.

I hope you can start feeling better soon. I do agree though, people who don't have to deal with the aches and pain just don't understand. I'll pray for you too.

Jackiejs
April 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Hi Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. You always seem so happy on the forum.
Wish I could help !! instead I'm sending another hug. Hope you find another doctor and that he can help.
Hugs,
Jackie

Loonwatcher
April 25th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that pain and that no one seems to understand. God bless you.

On another note, I've heard people say great things about how well acupuncture seems to help with arthritis. Couldn't tell you personally but it's just a thought.

Cheer up honey we all care about you.

Hugs!

grammakim04
April 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Wendy, I can so relate.

I've been suffering from OA and Fibromyalgia for 8 yrs now and my knees constantly scream at me. Won't go into to much details because I know you understand the pain.

The one thing I can recommend for you to do is get a referral to a Chronic Pain Clinic in your area. I've been going to one here and it has changed my life. I've been put on meds that my family doc was not even aware of, learned how pain affects our brain, learned different techniques to handle pain and actually how to "live with daily Chronic Pain".

Their dr's - therapists, nutritionists, physiotherapists are all specially trained dealing with Chronic Pain.

PLEASE, talk to your family doc. and get a referral to the Pain Clinic....I can't emphasize enough how much they have helped me.

Kim

SisterDi
April 26th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Wendy, I'm sorry that you've had such a bad day. I swear, it was this pink full moon thing I've read about. I've been in ouchland all day, and was wishing I had a stuffed animal to slap around or something...lol.

Tomorrow has to be better, because today surely did suck.

Lisapc
April 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Chemo treatment?? I've never heard of that before. What is it supposed to do? I have been trying to get help but my last doc was a nightmare...I just fired him! Just learned that you can do that now in the province of Ontario. Only problem is, once he's gone there is no one to replace him! Ridiculous!

Chemo that an RA patient receives is similar to what a Lupus patient receives. It is given to suppress your immune system so that your body stops attacking itself. Extreme cases need this for any kind of relief.

Pain can be not only physically but emotionally draining as well. I am hoping that you wake up tomorrow feeling a lot better honey!

auntiemern
April 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM
As a long time RA and fibro sufferer, the best advice I can give you is to find a good rheumatologist. That is what the specialize in. So sorry you are feeling so bad. I am on a regimen of meds that help keep my RA and fibro in check. Nothing works all the time, but you can get some relief.

phoots
April 26th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Wendy, I have not experienced pain like you've described. So, I can only imagine what it must be like. I will keep you in my prayers. Hugs to you!

Pam in Vegas

dwil23
April 26th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Having dealt with knee pain for a year and a half, I know what you mean. I had no energy whatsoever. I had a left knee replacement last August and even though I still have some pain, I feel so much better. I found that Naprosen helps the most with pain and stiffness.

Hope you feel better soon.

Evilynn
April 26th, 2013, 03:42 AM
Oh Wendy!

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I have no clue how it is to live with constant pain, I can only imagine. During my pregnancy I was feeling horribly sick the whole day. I know it's not pain but I do know that if something bad is constantly there it can for sure make you feel miserable. I hope you will find a doctor that is able to treat you.

Many hugs,

Steffie

Winniesfriend
April 26th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I am sorry you are feeling down, hope you have a better day tomorrow.

rebeccas-sewing
April 26th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Lots of advice given from your friends here. Seeing someone who specializes in this type of problem seems like the first order of business. I hope you can find a new doctor who can help you manage your arthritis, and a doctor who deals with managing pain sounds ideal for your problem as well. Even if they are three hours away seems like getting the help you need would be worth it. I hope you start feeling better soon, Wendy.

nana margaret
April 26th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I'm so sorry Wendy, arthritis (I'm a fellow sufferer too) is so unforgiving when you're having a bad flare up and cold weather always makes your joints more painful. Constant pain is debilitating and does affect your mood, the important thing is to let your family know how you're feeling so that they know it isn't really aimed at them. I'm 61 with multiple joints affected but you're a lot younger than me and I wonder if that's why they won't do a replacement yet because the artificial joints only last so long. I hope today brings you some relief and a little bit of sunshine to warm weary bones.

wicked
April 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Tanya...you are so sweet to look that up for me. I've tried most of those things and most days, a 400 mg dose of advil works just fine for me. Today we had bad weather, sun, pouring rain and then brutal hail..everything was white again for a while...so I'm sure that's not helping things. I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day...just some days I just get get worn out with trying to deal with it. I have a 15 minute walk to my desk from the parking lot and another on the return...I could probably get closer parking but I need that tiny bit of exercise...but I tell ya...on days like today I really, and truly despise it. I guess I should talk to a doc about getting better parking somehow...apparently it takes years to get a wheelchair sticker here. Not that I want to use it but sure would be nice on days like today.

Ohhhh Wendy....I feel your pain. I have Multiple Sclerosis and am in constant chronic pain....all day....every day. It is hard to deal with and it does affect my mood sometimes. It's hard to sit with a smile all the time when sometimes you feel like crying . I also have terrible fatigue which sucks. Sometimes I feel sick and tired of being sick and tired. All that being said, I stick with the phrase "I have MS, MS doesn't have me" :) .
As for the handicap parking sticker....I'm in Nova Scotia and all my doc had to do is write a note. I took it to the motor vehicle branch and they handed me a window hanging sticker....easy peasy.
Keep your chin up.;)

alliek
April 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Wendi you need (((())))'s. You need a shoulder and that's here at the forum. Pain is so debilitating to your energy and soul. Prayers for you today and for your family. God Bless.

EmmaB
April 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hope you are feeling better today Wendi and that you find a doctor that will help you. That has to be agony.

GinnyKNC
April 26th, 2013, 12:08 PM
{{{HUGS}}} Oh Wendy I so hope you feel better soon. I have PAD and my legs and feet hurt all day everyday and sometimes don't work lol causing me to fall a lot. I've had two femoral artery to femoral artery bypasses and several stents put in and none of that worked. I now just try and deal with the pain. Like you there are days I just can't do it. Hugs to you and my peace I give you.

WendyI
April 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
thank you all so very much for your kind words and concern and for sharing your own stories of struggling to cope with whatever ailments. I normally ignore the pain and just keep on truckin...I try not to let it get to me at all, but last night i just felt like the knot at the tend of my rope was unraveling.

Today is not much better, but it IS better....so at least that's something. (((((HUGS)))) I know so many of you have it SO much worse than I do and I'm sorry to post all this. It'll be fine, life goes on! Like Blondie says, you just gotta SMILE! xox

Evilynn
April 26th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Wendy, this is not a competition. There is no "some of you have it worse". You are feeling miserable, it won't make you feel better knowing others have it worse (what do you even mean by "others have it worse??" constant pain IS quite bad!). It doesn't work that way. You have every right to complain and be sure that we are here for you to listen. It often helps already to get it off your chest. I know that. The people here care sincerely and that makes it a bit easier to live with whatever we have to live with. As my MIL would say "We take what we get.". I've been thinking of you today, darling!

Hugs,

Steffie

Divine Daisy
April 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Wendy......big hugs. Constant pain really drags you down. You will be smiling again soon........meantime, have a large gin my dear!

shannonsaulter
April 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM
(((HUGS))) hope you feel better

Wwena
April 26th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Wendy I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. No one can understand that haven't been through it, I'm sure. Why won't they replace your knee? I hope you have a better day tomorrow! And the next day. And the next...

WendyI
April 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Wendy I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. No one can understand that haven't been through it, I'm sure. Why won't they replace your knee? I hope you have a better day tomorrow! And the next day. And the next...

Apparently I'm too young. Which I get...they're worried it will 'wear' out and I'll need a second one when I'm older and surgery is more risky. But I keep explaining to them....I have a 10 year old! I want to enjoy life with him! Once he's gone, if I have to rot so-be-it...but this having no life when I'm in the prime of my life is ridiculous!

Steffie...I meant no offense...I always worry about others more than myself, always know that no matter how bad things are, there is always someone worse off than me, so I suck it up and move on. I guess I don't feel "entitled" to my pain? I dunno...I'm weird...apparently 6 months of intense psycho-therapy didn't fix jack! LOL! Thanks for your hugs and concern...don't worry, I'll be okay! Thanks for thinking of me!

DDaisy...I think I will do just THAT! Well not gin...but a very large bottle of zinfandel is in my future!

Andrea F
April 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Wendy,
Im completely new to this forum and Im very sorry for you to be in so much pain. I hope you dont mind my interference, but have you ever heard about mindfulness training or mindfulness based stress reduction programs? Mindfulness meditation stems from buddhism (nothing esoteric though) and was first used in 1982 by Jon Kabat-Zinn, M.D., who applied the meditation program to patients with chronic pain issues and helped them to deal with their pain and achieve more quality of life. Since then, mindfulness trainings have been applied to a lot of therapies including depression relapse prevention, stress prevention and reduction, several kinds of psychological therapies like cognitive therapy, Acceptance- and Commitment Therapy and so forth.
There are several formal and informal "exercises" to practice. As far as I know, the "body scan" is the (formal) exercise that should be trained once a day. Takes about 45 minutes to do but I think its worth to give it a try. If you want to read something about it, try "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
If you live near a mindfulness centre you might want to attend a course over eight to ten weeks or just get some information. Probably here (in Ontario): http://www.mindful.ca/ or here (in Alberta): http://www.mindfulnessinstitute.ca/Home.aspx They sell a CD with the exercises as well. I think youtube has some videos on the training and interviews with Kabat-Zinn which could give you a first impression.
Hope you`re feeling better soon and sending a bunch of hugs,
Andrea :)

Bailey65
April 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Wendy I truly feel for you and I am SO sorry that you have to deal with such a disease. I myself deal with chronic pain and some days it can really wear on you. Please know that your not alone with your disease. I totally understand having bad days. Please keep your chin up and think positive thoughts. For me quilting and sewing is the only thing that keeps me sane :icon_crazy: most days.

Here is a Big Gentle (((((HUG)))))

grammakim04
April 26th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Wendy, don't ever try to compare yourself to what someone else is going thru...daily chronic pain sucks.

I hope your pain eases for you and that you can find someone to help you work thru it.

Big hugs and will keep you in my prayers.

Kim

shermur
April 26th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Keep the faith, WendyI! We're here to lift you up, babes! Get to feeling better!

Evilynn
April 27th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Well, there is alwys someone who is worse off than you, or me, or anybody else. ALWAYS. I didn't take any offence, I just think you should not think you have no right to complain. Because you have. There's no competetion in being sick. Being sick truly sucks. And if it's painful and even constant, that sucks even more! I am so sorry and hope your docs will overcome their "concerns" about you having your knee replaced. I think "being too young" is not a good reason to deny you one. :/

Hugs,

Steffie