PDA

View Full Version : Now we have to look at each other!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
When I left Cuba, MO 7-1/2 years ago, I started to Instant Message my best friend down there every day. We keep up with each other by our daily contact, and visit when we can in person.

Now, in their infinite wisdom, Mictosoft has combined their Instant Messaging with Skype, and now we have to look at each other to chat! Yuck! Hair a mess, in our jammies! At least it takes a shorter time, because neither of us is that great with typing! But we can sure chat it up!

Oh well, time marches on and technology is wonderful, but I hate to be on video early in the morning!

buckeyequilter
April 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Yep....and that's why I'm going back to Yahoo messenger. DH & I have our messengers on during the day...and we can just check and send messages back and forth. But with Skype taking over Windows Live......well there are just some things I can't do at work.

WendyI
April 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM
what Instant Messenger are you using? Most of them have a chat only function...you can turn video off if you choose.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
what Instant Messenger are you using? Most of them have a chat only function...you can turn video off if you choose.

Yes, I believe it has that capability. We had to both upgrade this morning before we could chat. It will work that way also, with a teeny tiny window for typing. And I usually add pictures to show her what I've been working on, and can't figure that one out unless we do Skype, which is reat time video, or whatever you want to call it. We're techy only to a point, the two of us, and it is like the blind leading the blind! We couldn't figure out how to stop the chat! That's how dumb we are!

buckeyequilter
April 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM

It's MSN messenger - Windows Live messenger. There is a mandatory upgrade to Skype to continue using it. I'm going back to Yahoo because the only person I chat with is Jim....and it's not a big deal which one we use.

Divine Daisy
April 24th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Skype is a mixed blessing for sure. I use it with voice but no video often. I hate being on vid. Mr D used to laugh at me when I was working. If I had an important or difficult phonecall to make I would touch up my lippy. He thought it was halarious as they couldn;t see me. These days I would need a full facelift to make such a call if I was on video lol.

Mind you he used to laugh at me because I would whip my bra off at the first set of traffic lights I came to when I left court. I would usually forget to bring it in from the car when I got home so my foot well nearly always had a dead bra lying in it.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Skype is a mixed blessing for sure. I use it with voice but no video often. I hate being on vid. Mr D used to laugh at me when I was working. If I had an important or difficult phonecall to make I would touch up my lippy. He thought it was halarious as they couldn;t see me. These days I would need a full facelift to make such a call if I was on video lol.

Mind you he used to laugh at me because I would whip my bra off at the first set of traffic lights I came to when I left court. I would usually forget to bring it in from the car when I got home so my foot well nearly always had a dead bra lying in it.

That's too funny! Especially about the misplaced bra! Gee, I was hoping we could Skype one day, but it sounds like you would nix that plan!

auntiemern
April 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
No way in the world would I skype. Well maybe under serious circumstances. Sometimes I think they take technology to darn far, and this is one of those times. You just shouldn't have to video chat, if all you really want to do is chat. Yahoo will probably be following suit in the future. Look on the bright side Jean. You only have to make from your neck up somewhat presentable. lol.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM
No way in the world would I skype. Well maybe under serious circumstances. Sometimes I think they take technology to darn far, and this is one of those times. You just shouldn't have to video chat, if all you really want to do is chat. Yahoo will probably be following suit in the future. Look on the bright side Jean. You only have to make from your neck up somewhat presentable. lol.
Thank heaven for that, but that's the scariest part!

kensington
April 24th, 2013, 03:28 PM
When I left Cuba, MO 7-1/2 years ago, I started to Instant Message my best friend down there every day. We keep up with each other by our daily contact, and visit when we can in person.

Now, in their infinite wisdom, Mictosoft has combined their Instant Messaging with Skype, and now we have to look at each other to chat! Yuck! Hair a mess, in our jammies! At least it takes a shorter time, because neither of us is that great with typing! But we can sure chat it up!

Oh well, time marches on and technology is wonderful, but I hate to be on video early in the morning!

Facebook has that also. I got a notice that my brother in SC wanted to chat with me. I clicked on it. It installed and BOOM! There he was. I freaked out. Now when I get a notice I ignore it, go check my hair, fix my makeup, and put on my glasses. Then call back to chat. He thinks that is hilarious! He doesn't care, but I do! ROTFLOL!

kensington
April 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
PS.... You can keep a headscarf and sunglasses handy for those instant notices!!

K. McEuen
April 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
You used to be able to disable video in skype. I was never sure I did it right so the camera on my laptop has tape over it.

SallyO'Sews
April 24th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Not happy about Skype taking over everything, but as I have a child who lives in Korea, sometimes it is a very nice thing.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 24th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Not happy about Skype taking over everything, but as I have a child who lives in Korea, sometimes it is a very nice thing.

I had a Korean exchange student living with me for 4 months, she Skyped her family every Sunday for hours!

Lisapc
April 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM
During my hubby's hospitalizations we Skyped when he was up to it. I associate Skype with that time in my life, well my body does so I won't be Skyping anyone if I can help it!

Sew Perfect
April 24th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Haha! I know just what your mean!

DCM
April 24th, 2013, 11:39 PM
If you don't want to see each other when you Skype you can cover your computer's little camera with a post it note or tape a small piece of paper over it.

Evilynn
April 25th, 2013, 04:04 AM
For me Skype is a blessing. I live far away from my mother. Thanks to Skype she gets to see me and her grandchild! So she doesn't completely miss the growing up of her. That's a good thing! And yes, you can turn the video off. :)

buckeyequilter
April 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM
If you don't use your webcam and would like to disable it....here's how:

Go to CONTROL PANEL > DEVICE MANAGER > double click IMAGING DEVICES > double click on your webcam > DRIVERS tab > disable

EnumclawGramma
April 26th, 2013, 02:06 PM
You all are so funny! I've skyped with my DGD but she was in her bedroom and I was in the living room.....under the same roof. I think it's pretty neat. I haven't used it with anyone else though. I would need at LEAST a 2 hour window of warning so I could make myself somewhat presentable!
Oh how I wish we had it 38 years ago when my DH was deployed to Guam! He was a medic and it was right after Saigon fell and we had VERY little notice (24 hours) and he was gone! I was able to talk to him on the phone for 10 minutes on two occasions during this time. Each phone call was around $100, and back then....that was a LOT of $$$.

Wwena
April 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
You can enlarge the chat window and you don't need to video to chat. :) I've used the new version for a couple of months now.

I'm not really a fan of them combining skype and messenger - I've used both but for me they have different purposes. Live and learn I guess. :)